You think i dressed up for you?
That's rich
That's rich
Yeah that's rich
When It's coming from you
That's rich

BYE BYE fool (ooww!)​

Schlagerman1

I am not even sure I will watch the Irish final, cause man, these songs are pretty much crap. I guess that "That's Rich" is the best of the bunch, but I have a feeling she might not get her performance to work on a TV-show like Late Late Show. So, I guess it will be someone singing really good. I guess Patrick O'Sullivan is gonna nail vocally. But I fear that Rachel Goode might take it all, her song is like an irritating fly in my head buzzing. I can't stand that self-absorbing lyrics and the melody that should have been okay for Charlotte Perelli in 2002.

Also, how hard can it be for a country like Ireland to choose a proper song with a proper singer. They have done it once lately, and they can do it again. But I guess they just want to fail and made a fool of themselves and fight for last place again. xexcuseme

Mainshow

Veteran
The music video of "That´s Rich" has been released.

Honestly, I think that´s the only song which has a slim chance to qualify for the Grand Final in May.
Please, Brooke... you´re performance tonight better slay/better be good.

Iker

Veteran
To be honest I can´t really see :ie: qualifying with any of the songs. I think it´ll be more interesting to find out whether they can escape last place in the semi.
Yeah, I agree. It is a pity that this is how the former Eurovision giant has fallen.

I hope that Patrick O'Sullivan wins as his song stands out positively a little bit in this bunch to me. I am probably in the minority here who finds it the best.

My least favourite are Janet Grogan, Rachel Goode & Brendan Murray. I find them equally bad, in case of Brendan it's his annoying voice that ruins it for me.

Last edited:

Mainshow

Veteran
Interesting to see people coming up with a ranking or Top 6 videos for this utterly horrendous national final.
Can´t believe some fans really want to see The Ride 2.0 win tonight :D

ESC94

Yeah, I agree. It is a pity that this is how the former Eurovision giant has fallen.

I hope that Patrick O'Sullivan wins as his song stands out positively a little bit in this bunch to me.

Maybe I already wrote it somewhere else, but I have no problem repeating it.

I simply think that :ie: failed to make it into the 21st century at the ESC. Due to the four wins and many other good placings in the 90s peolpe in charge at RTE got complacent and thought it would just go on like this, but they forgot that these good placings were all during 100 % Jury vote and I really don´t think that songs like "Why Me?" or "The Voice" would have wo if televoting would´ve already been a thing in the early 90s. After they realized that this songs weren´t popular with the audience they completely lost any direction and tried this and that, withouth much success. xshrug

Iker

Veteran
Maybe I already wrote it somewhere else, but I have no problem repeating it.

I simply think that :ie: failed to make it into the 21st century at the ESC. Due to the four wins and many other good placings in the 90s peolpe in charge at RTE got complacent and thought it would just go on like this, but they forgot that these good placings were all during 100 % Jury vote and I really don´t think that songs like "Why Me?" or "The Voice" would have come even close to winning if televoting would´ve already been a thing in the early 90s. After they realized that this songs weren´t popular with the audience they completely lost any direction and try this and that, withouth much success. xshrug
Will Ireland get good results with the same kind of 100% jury voting though if it was implemented now? They would not either so this answer does not work for me.

kamc

RTE just don’t give a crap about it and are doing the bare minimum, plain and simple.
The fact we can’t even be bothered to hold a proper national final and instead it’s squeezed into our weekly entertainment chat show says it all.
The winner tonight will be simply down to whoever provides the least awful vocal in that tiny, cramped studio with bad acoustics.

Shmelsasha

Rachel Goode - I'm Loving Me is the only song that I "kinda" like, but I doubt that it have any chances at the contest. It seems Ireland doesn't want to be in the final.

Iker

Veteran
I absolutely don't see any appeal in I'm Loving Me. It is utterly generic, bland and I don't feel uplifted by it in any way even though it was clearly the intention here. And I can't help but wonder decide whether it is dated or more like a misbegotten attempt at some throwback.

Last edited:

jatojo

This is one of those NF's where the good vocal can make a difference and snatch the victory from the more contemporary pre-favourite song ('That's Rich'). Norway is another example from this year. And Denmark 2020 when early favourite 'Human' almost finished last after a mediocre live performance.

Last edited:

Bmbriga

I just don't get Ireland... I just can't comprehend that. Ok, they are not as big as UK, which is also a story for itself, but there's so much good music in Ireland. They said that they received hundreds of songs.
I have a feeling if they asked a random on the street they would come up with something at least more memorable.
I had to relisten the songs today, because I totally forgot about them. And there are just 6 songs. Just 6. Well, tbh I did remember "That's rich", so, I guess, that would make it my favourite. I also remembered there was a bad 80's song among the 6..

And 22:35?! I'm pretty sure not even Irish are going to pause their Netflix for 6 bland songs performed on a late night show....
Moldova put more effort in their auditions and at least it had some old school "regional TV station" charm to it.
Money isn't an excuse, because a concert in a village community hall, would be better than this.

Chrisiam

I'm going to be honest. I don't really follow the ins and outs of the Irish selection so this is coming from just blind speculation but I feel that the quality (or possibly lack there of) of the acts in this selection isn't because they just grabbed whoever or that that there wasn't any good acts to be had. I feel that it just comes down to the fact that whom ever it is that decided to put these forwards for the national selection just likes this kind of music and/or they feel that these songs/artists make for the best television.

If the people who selected the acts only really listen to your standard Top 40 reality TV created music shows then these songs are about on par with that kind of stuff. And if you are also a TV executive that wants acts to be on your light entertainment show you aren't going to go with anything too daring "out there" on the off chance it turns into a hot mess.

Its kind of like with the UK's selection shows. They priorities singers and acts that, sure, they have talent, but they also have a "story". The kind that of stuff makes for some safe and bankable TV. Stories about everymen and everywomen getting their chance at stardom, the underdog looking for a 2nd chance, the likeable guy or gal next door having their dream come true and all that crap that gets people super invested in them during the selection but doesn't mean a jot at the main contest.

How you solve that kind of stuff I don't know. Aside divorcing those who select the acts from those who do the production of the selection show as much as possible. At least then you might get a little more variation in the acts going into the National Final.

As otherwise you end up with selections like this. Songs and artists that are perfectly fine, perfectly enjoyable, but that's just about it. The kind of act you enjoy fine enough when its at the contest, but you'd never vote for it over someone else.

Mrm

Veteran
I’ll try to catch a lil bit, especially the song no 6..
I still remember how we loved to watch that cozy Late late talk show as the format to choose an Irish ESC entry, back then on esctoday! We laughed a lot there (especially when Linda Martin was in the jury panel ahahah with that phrase”Odious little man” :love: ) , sometimes argued a bit. :p Those were the days my friend… xlove xheart
We loved and lived (for) this show..
My wish back then, was to attend The Late late show live..

Top Bottom