I am the road
There's only one way to go
This is the way back home

I've been searching all the wrong places
I've been trying too many faces
Only one way to go
This is the way back home
I've been searching all the wrong places
I've been trying too many faces (I've been trying)
Only one way to go
This is the way back home​

Last edited by a moderator:

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
Increased to :6:

Could like it a bit more if the chorus didn't feel so underwhelming to me (perhaps it's her voice that sounds strange there? I don't know)

Shaney1995

She can actually sing very well live. If you look up videos of her singing live from 2008 to 2011 when she was trying to launch a solo career in the USA, she was great singing live with a band and instruments. She's only aged 10 years since so she shouldn't have changed too much vocally. I think she will do well.

I bims

Veteran
She can actually sing very well live. If you look up videos of her singing live from 2008 to 2011 when she was trying to launch a solo career in the USA, she was great singing live with a band and instruments. She's only aged 10 years since so she shouldn't have changed too much vocally. I think she will do well.

10 years is a lot of time to damage your voice :(
I'm not an expert but her singing technique sounds very unhealthy and damaging to her vocal chords. When I heard the "Story of my Life" live performance my throat hurt just by listening to her. I hope she can pull it off though, love the song and it needs to qualify!

Iker

Veteran
I have the feeling that the entry will be quite liked but not enough to get a lot of televote points. 😔 (I really like it.)
The song is very upbeat and cheerful in a good way, it makes me feel invigorated. But yeah it is very likely to NQ, considering generally poor track record of Ireland in recent years, the fact that it may pale in the background of multiple uptempo entries in the SF1 and the fact Ireland has no guaranteed points that they can start with from anyone unlike some other countries like Russia and some other factors. If Ireland was in the same SF as Poland I'd likely send some votes.

Shaney1995

The story of my life performance wasn't her fault. The national broadcaster here in Ireland messed up the sound, audio and her earpiece. They are notoriously bad at staging live performances on their late night shows. She didn't sing live on that show this year. Probably due to how horrible they screwed her last year.
10 years is a lot of time to damage your voice :(
I'm not an expert but her singing technique sounds very unhealthy and damaging to her vocal chords. When I heard the "Story of my Life" live performance my throat hurt just by listening to her. I hope she can pull it off though, love the song and it needs to qualify!

ayzelto

I gave Ireland 12 points last year as it was more appealing (at least for me). I still like "Maps" very much though. 8 points.

lasse braun

sorry ireland - average pop - it ripples along and can't catch me.
last years entry was better - this song will have a tough test in semi 1!
:3:

Iker

Veteran
sorry ireland - average pop - it ripples along and can't catch me.
last years entry was better - this song will have a tough test in semi 1!
:3:

It is weird as I am usually not at all into this specific type of pop music but this one kinda clicked with me and I'd like it to qualify and preferably place on the left side of the scoreboard after that but it is delusional.

Pål Nordahl

I love this song. I honestly thought it would fade and drop down my ranking once other songs were released, but it didn’t move too much. It’s so positive and uplifting. The endless driving rhythm has a huge emotional impact on me - it feels like it’s pulling me out of this crazy covid hole. Easy :10: points.

Hopefully the staging and live vocals will make the song stand out more, or I worry that it could get lost in semifinal 1.

rasmuslights

Veteran
I love this song and it's in my top 15.. I don't unfortunately see this qualifying... I think Macedonia, Norway, Ireland, Croatia and lowkey Australia + one country (hopefully it's my country Slovenia) won't qualify... For the first 4 I'm kinda sure.

Euterpa

She sounds great in the first verse. When she started singing the chorus...that's when it stopped being good. She is singing those higher notes from her throat. Not only this is not a good way to sing if you want to sound good, but as someone said above - it can damage her vocal cords.

In this video from 1:42 (I set the video to start there) she is also trying to sing from her throat which causes her voice to break... It's almost impossible to sing those notes by singing from the throat. Some singers stop singing because they get out of breath so we could say 'it will be better in May surely", but unfortunately this happened due to the way she sings. And since she's been singing like that for a long time, it's unlikely to change in May...unless a vocal coach intervenes.

Now, I don't have a formal singing education, I'm mostly self-taught so I had some grain of doubt if I'm maybe wrong about her singing...so that's why I checked if Honest Vocal Coach maybe reacted to her entries and...yeah. See from 4:29.

I like this song a lot, it's so uplifting and I'd love for it to qualify (my 5th-6th in semi 1), but I'm afraid it won't happen if she doesn't do anything about this.

A-lister

Veteran
A-lister's review:

This is one of the most pleasant surprises to me this year, and a real step-up from last year's entry. This is probably the strongest Irish entry since Jedward's "Lipstick" in 2011 and while the song isn't some revelation by any means, it is a very competent pop-rock song and keeps the likable elements of the previous entry but served in a much more mature and professional package. Welcome to my top. 5 Ireland!

RevNet

THE GOOD:
  • This song is very Irish.
  • It's a toe-tapper for sure.
THE BAD:
  • For me, it's a song that is just there.
THE VERDICT:

For me, I'll give this a listen while I'm in the bathroom, perhaps. It's a decent song, but for some reason, this song just doesn't excite me. With a good performance in May, I can perhaps see the song in the Final. 7 points

Ianp16

I guess there is a reason why there is so much production on the studio version.
Think this will flop hard due to weak vocals...

Unfortunately, I think you're probably right. I loved Ireland's 2019 song 22, but live it was so boring due to 0 charisma and bland singing from Sarah McTernan. In Lesley's defense, I think she's a bit more charismatic but her vocals seem so strained. Maybe the recorded backing vocals might save her?!

Top Bottom