17 11.1%

12 7.8%

8 5.2%

18 11.8%

• Total voters

Sean

Admin
Staff member
The definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over again and expecting different results but we shall see...

Scooby

New snooze fest vol 2546588458854 for Ireland xboringxboringxboring

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
miJKJWc.gif

Wow, I'm getting a lot of mileage out of this one today.

Mrm

Veteran
Its quite promising..but depends on the song...it can be very bad - great for me, with much bigger chance to be good - great! :)

DanielLuis

"'Together' is a power ballad with a gospel feel"
Isn't this exactly what they said last year? They are also already starting to throw around the political vote bs to justify their inevitable bad result.

Mrm

Veteran
"'Together' is a power ballad with a gospel feel"
Isn't this exactly what they said last year? They are also already starting to throw around the political vote bs to justify their inevitable bad result.

Please wait for the song first..it can be totally different to last year.. ;)

henhu

Promising choice... Maybe it will be similar to 2006 entry which is my favorite Irish entry this century.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Without having heard the song yet, it does seem that Ireland once again are going down the fresh faced lad could be in a Louis Walsh boyband route. Ireland are in a rut and I think it could have been a good time to try something radically different to get themselves out of it. It's kind of sad that the last Irish entry I really cared for was Niamh Kavanagh's "It's For You". That was eight years ago now. I'll reserve judgement until the song is out of course, but i'm not excited at this stage.

ES2011

I feel a bit of hype inside me for this announcement :ie:

I remembered Ryan O'Shaughnessy from his audition in Britains got talent, he was amazing. If the song comes anywhere near the level of 'No Name' it could do really well if staged correctly. Of course I do recognize and partly agree with people fearing it will be bland. But a ballad does not need to be boring if performed correctly, just look at 'Amor Pelos Dois'.

And for people screaming for Ireland to do something different, I would say that doing something different just for the sake of doing something different is not going to improve things. It's more about the quality you focus on, rather than sending a lot of different acts. People complain my country has been focusing too much on 'country' the past years, although it has still given results due to the quality of entries like the Common Linnets and Douwe Bob.

Let's just wait until the song is released before me make further judgments :)

Mrm

Veteran
mistake

Realest

I just got reminded that :ie: even exists in the ESC-Kosmos, had already forgotten about it..

FilipFromSweden

Ireland and their twinks

NNR

Oh my god, RTE just don't learn.

Why can't we just send a decent pop entry instead of another shagging ballad!

ZoboCamel

Oh my god, RTE just don't learn.

Why can't we just send a decent pop entry instead of another shagging ballad!

I mean, ballads can be good; there's nothing wrong with the genre itself. The last two Eurovision winners have been ballads, and they were both unique, authentic songs that deserved their wins. But my concern – and, presumably, yours and everyone else's – is that I don't think Ireland is going to send one of these actually-good ballads. It feels like they're going to send another forgettable 15th-place-in-the-semi-final ballad; a 1990's boy-band album track ballad; a "Johnny Logan won it for us with a ballad so let's try to copy that again" ballad. I could go on, but I think it's easy enough to imagine when we look at Ireland's recent history at the contest.

Of course, they could end up sending something great: most of my negativity here is just coming from track record, and recent years have shown that weaker countries putting in the effort can turn their fortunes around quickly and impressively. Just look at Austria 2014, Netherlands 2013-14, Belgium 2015-17, Bulgaria 2016-17, Portugal 2017 – there are plenty of examples. Those turnarounds have usually been hinted at by a change in style or extra effort from the broadcaster, though, and we haven't seen either of those from RTE so far.

I'd love to be wrong here. I'm pessimistic, but... please, Ireland, prove me wrong!

kamc

A "gospel inspired" ballad doesn't exactly fill me with confidence....wonder if there's a big key change shoehorned in there too:?

Top Bottom