8 6.5%

5 4.1%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Mainshow

Veteran
Ég styð þína braut performed by Silja Rós og Kjalar is my favourite but overall, I think that :is: is quite "average" once again... but who knows... maybe my "faovurite" song will win once again and turn into a massive grower (like Systur last year). I do see some potential here.

jatojo

It would be risky to regard Kristín as a favourite here - in a live situation, she can't possibly perform the song in the same way as it sounds in the studio version.

jatojo

Are they Danish maybe? :)
Doesn't seem like it. I think they are more Icelandic and less Danish than the Eyjja sisters (who are slight favourites to take the win in the Danish contest).

And really, "Dómsdags Dans" is almost the same all over Northwestern Europe (not in Germany though).

Mrm

Veteran
Doesn't seem like it. I think they are more Icelandic and less Danish than the Eyjja sisters (who are slight favourites to take the win in the Danish contest).

And really, "Dómsdags Dans" is almost the same all over Northwestern Europe (not in Germany though).
Yeah for those sisters I knew immediatelly, female surnames with - dottir are Icelandic, not Danish.. :)
You think sisters will win Dansk MGP?

jatojo

Yeah for those sisters I knew immediatelly, female surnames with - dottir are Icelandic, not Danish.. :)
You think sisters will win Dansk MGP?
I hope they will. And if Iceland could qualify with a calm, country inspired song performed by three Icelandic female vocalists, why shouldn't Denmark qualify with a calm, country inspired song performed by two Icelandic female vocalists? ;)

Datura

bragis song really sounds like the most generic pop song ever, it gives me huge "voices" (by Tusse) vibes. he obviously took part in swedish idol and the song is composed by a swedish team (Bragi Bergsson, Joy Deb, Rasmus Palmgren og Aniela Eklund) anyway. meh :/

Looren

Veteran
Only listened to Icelandic versions :

1. Kristin Sesselja
2. Ulfar
3. Silja Ros og Kjalar

4. Dilja

5. Langi Seli og Skuggarnir

6. BRAGI

7. Sigga Ozk

8. MOA
9. Benedikt
10. Celebs

Top 3 here made my heart melt, the sweetness in these songs xcry

AlekS

Veteran
It's Sigga Ózk or Silja Rós & Kjalar for me.

The only Söngvakeppnin acts charting on Youtube in Iceland are Móa and Sigga Ózk.
Sigga Ózk has gained more views since her release.

Spotify's daily top (peak positions) be like:

#26 Diljá - Lifandi inni í mér
#34 Sigga Ózk - Gleyma þér og dansa
#36 Celebs - Dómsdags Dans
#42 Silja Rós og Kjalar - Ég styð þína braut
#48 Langi Seli og Skuggarnir - OK
#58 BRAGI - Stundum Snýst Heimurinn Gegn Þér
#68 Kristín Sesselja - Óbyggðir
#78 Celebs - Doomsday Dancing
#81 Benedikt - Benedikt - Þora
Úlfar had less than 1k streams in 1 day.

Diljá had twice more streams (2k) than Benedikt.
If you combine YT and Spotify it's clearly between Diljá and Sigga Ózk.
Last time Spotify was right & predicted both super finalists correctly.

Last edited:

MopManMoss

Veteran
same. it's so good. i should hate the guy singing but i actually dig the whole package.
I used to find him irritating but now the "I need a breather, a moment, a reliever Hey sis, get me out of this mess" bit is my favourite bridge of any NF song this entire year

ollibox

Hi everyone!xwave

Finally got to Icelandic national selection and here are my thoughts.
1st thought - quite tough to rank, tbh o_O
2nd thought - all the veterans here, please take a seat. There might come some controversial opinions below xshock

Listened to English (audio) versions only. Live performances and maybe some songs in Icelandic language in the final could change my rating though. At the moment it's not clear which (or if any) songs would be in Icelandic in the end.

Overall, quite an "even" selection, meaning that most of the songs are pretty "average". Nothing stands out big time, but no obvious losers in that selection either. Quite many possible winners imho. But the winner of ESC this year does NOT come from Iceland. Sorry to say that.

10. Móa "Loose This Dream"
No. No. That's a nice ballad in some way, but... No. The singer's voice is definitely unique, but not for my ears. SORRY. Song's too bland as well. Bottom place for me.

9. Celebs "Doomsday Dancing"
Well, that's different! Sounds more like something Latvia or Lithuania would send (and then would flop in the ESC semi). Nope, can't feel it. Another bottom place for me. Sorry.

8. Úlfar "Impossible"
Sweet little male ballad. A bit like "Whiskey Won't Forget" from Estonian national, but more up-beat. I don't mean the style is similar, but the impression. Can't see it qualifying to the final (nor did Carlos btw).
Anyway, it didn't impact me, so I can't rate it any higher, at least for now.

7. Langi Seli & Skuggarnir "OK"
The only (definitely) Icelandic entry in this selection. Can't say I like it a lot. This kind of rockabilly style usually suits me. And for variety, it would sound great in Liverpool. But as usual, there are some other buts :D
The song itself isn't strong enough, but also - no idea how to make it stronger or more impactful so that the overall concept wouldn't change. Although the song is good in its own niche, I'd not vote for it to go to Liverpool.

And for a side mark - there are SO MANY good songs in the national final that are just BRILLIANT - but just too good for ESC. Latest example - Ireland, Connolly - a MASTERPIECE in my book.

6. Benedikt "Brave Face"
Nice voice. Song itself is quite bland. but not exceptionally bad. Wouldn't make a storm in Liverpool, that's for sure. I'd predict it (maybe) qualifies in the final (national, that is).

5. Kristín Sesselja "Terrified"
A mighty great singer! Don't mind if she wins! The song - I don't know... Like it lacks something? Can't figure out what. Went into my playlist anyway. And reaches TOP5 in the final, I'd guess.

4. Bragi "Sometimes the World's Against You"
Typical MelFest-type song, good hooks in the melody. Had to look it up if there's any Swedish songwriters involved :D And surprise - YES, there is :D.
Nothing bad to say, a good song. Goes in the final and ends up in or near TOP3. My prediction.

3. Diljá "Power"
Wow! Another great singer! Song's not bad at all either! Contender for Söngvakeppnin 2023 win, I think. Or she'll end up in TOP3 at least. A bit too basic at some point, but a nice banger. Place in my playlist :)

2. Silja Rós & Kjalar "Together We Grow"
And there's another TOP3 contender. Like it a lot! But not as much as Sigga's song :) Anyway, not a bad entry to send to Liverpool, not at all. The only thing I would revamp a bit is the chorus. "Grow" - that place is a bit annoying...
Otherwise, very good and different! The instrumental itself is quite mesmerizing! Personally for me, it pictures Iceland :)

1. Sigga Ózk "Dancing Lonely"
Well, THAT'S what I like! Sucker for 80's tunes, but just not all of them. (ELYSA in Estonian selection - absolutely hate it. SORRY). But this? LOVE IT! Reminds me a bit of Kylie Minogue and Madonna in their early years.
I hope she wins! AT LEAST she's in TOP3 in the final, I'm sure!

That's my view, anyway. Feel free to disagree.

Cheers!xwave

Top Bottom