escYOUnited

Administrator
Iceland-scaled.jpg

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
Is Kid Isak a boy or a girl?

njdevils94

Veteran
When you have a song that has winner potential you pick it. Iceland pick Iva please. Klukkan tifar is cute and much better in English from the studio cut. I guess that would be a nice alternative and Daði has a cool song too that would make a decent entry. I will give a mention to to Elísabet too. Looking to foward to that one live. When it comes down to it thought\ this is all about if Iva can captivate people Live like Hatari did last year.

Rankings

:is: Söngvakeppnin 2020 (pre-show)
01. Iva - Oculis Videre
02. Ísold og Helga - Klukkan tifar
03. Daði og Gagnamagnið - Gagnamagnið
04. Elísabet - Elta þig
05. Brynja Mary - Augun þín
06. Kid Isak - Ævintýri
07. Matti Matt - Dreyma
08. Nína - Ekkó
09. Hildur Vala - Fellibylur
10. DIMMA - Almyrkvi

Uto

Veteran
Listened to the Icelandic selection this morning. Leaves much to be desired on basically all fronts most of the time, but given the fact that Iceland is so small that's just logical and with that fact in mind it's actually rather impressive. Problem I have here is that a lot of these songs are just very basic and they're going to lose on all fronts if you're not going to work around that by absolutely nailing the staging.

Press F To Pay Respects Tier:

Dathi og Gagnamagnith​
Gagnamagnith​
DIMMA​
Almyrkvi​
Hildur Vala​
Fellibylur​
Matti Matt​
Dreyma​

Just Too Damn Average Tier:

Kid Isak​
Aivintyri​
Nina​
Ekko​
Brynja Mary​
Augun Thin​
Elisabet​
Elta Thig​

Leaves just two entries I feel are viable choices:

Isold og Helga - Klukkan Tifar: Not much to say here, it's just a nice ballad with an expansive finish that is bound to work pretty well at Eurovision. Everything is there, melodies are solid, it's not overproduced, it's easy to stage. So yeah all the boxes checked, but ballads are generally boring to a lot of people so it's hard to mobilize enough televoters to actually do anything at Eurovision. Safe choice, but I don't predict anything more than a respectable result somewhere mid-table.

Iva - Oculis Videre: I like the whole idea of using an operatic voice with church hymns as vocals and then drop a minimal techno beat under it for effect. It's not a classy move, but it gives this song some needed dynamics. It's still not enough. The song itself just isn't particularly good right now. Melodically it doesn't really do much exploring even though this could have been done. It's also just plodding along after the two minute mark. I feel like right now the song is simply posing as a class act even though there's hardly anything there. There is potential though. If Iceland wants to *do* anything, just get this stuff to Rotterdam but get someone in on the act to arrange a reworking and make this thing the booming song it deserves to be. Also, staging can be quite difficult. I mean we can all imagine a church at the start, but if we start with a giant church how are you going to make any progress visually? The intuitive answers here are the wrong ones I fear. Still hope Iceland goes for Oculis Videre and makes it work.

EDIT: I just listened to the English version of Oculis. Just do it in Icelandic, it's much more mystical that way to the average viewer which fits the song. Not that the lyrics are bad, on the contrary, but the auditory experience is just better in the Icelandic version.

Last edited:

MooseShoes

Iva - Oculis Videre: I like the whole idea of using an operatic voice with church hymns as vocals and then drop a minimal techno beat under it for effect. It's not a classy move, but it gives this song some needed dynamics. It's still not enough. The song itself just isn't particularly good right now. Melodically it doesn't really do much exploring even though this could have been done. It's also just plodding along after the two minute mark. I feel like right now the song is simply posing as a class act even though there's hardly anything there. There is potential though. If Iceland wants to *do* anything, just get this stuff to Rotterdam but get someone in on the act to arrange a reworking and make this thing the booming song it deserves to be. Also, staging can be quite difficult. I mean we can all imagine a church at the start, but if we start with a giant church how are you going to make any progress visually? The intuitive answers here are the wrong ones I fear. Still hope Iceland goes for Oculis Videre and makes it work.

Yeah, Oculis Videre is my no1 but I have similar reservations. I love the beginning so much that it's one of my favourites this year, but the second half lets it down in my opinion. Hopefully staging and live vocals (Iva's and backing) will win me over because the first minute and a half is gorgeous.

LastDreamer

Banned
Another hype around the weak entry.
It's like a trend of 2020 NFs. xmad

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
I bypassed her when I heard her studio version but well it isn't so bad, I love it when she goes higher in the pre-chorus. Still, Iceland can do better

Top Bottom