14 9.2%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
Iceland-scaled.jpg

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
wait kai's favorite color is green?

did we just find another thing in common other than our love for jan terri? xheat

Well, a mixture of green and blue. Teal is my favourite colour. At least I thought that was the colour Dadi was wearing? It's been my favourite colour ever since I got my teal 3DS and saw the music video for Ariel Pink's Put Your Number In My Phone. The latter was a life changing experience.

tumblr_ncbxv8qysQ1qjcyqno2_500.gifv

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
Well, a mixture of green and blue. Teal is my favourite colour. At least I thought that was the colour Dadi was wearing? It's been my favourite colour ever since I got my teal 3DS and saw the music video for Ariel Pink's Put Your Number In My Phone. The latter was a life changing experience.

tumblr_ncbxv8qysQ1qjcyqno2_500.gifv
teal is a great color so that's taste. i think it's a shade of teal leaning to green side a little more. hit color on a hit man

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
teal is a great color so that's taste. i think it's a shade of teal leaning to green side a little more. hit color on a hit man

I feel that eventually I'm going to have to succumb to stanning. The shade of teal, the long hair, the deep voice, the groove.. too many things there done right to ignore forever. If we took away the other people and just had Dadi standing there in a teal lycra singlet it would be an insta 12, no doubt about it.

Mrm

Veteran
Dadi's official video (the same outfits like in performance):

he said that song was originally written in English..

I personally like in both languages now..

BorisBubbles

Veteran
I would be perfectly happy with Iva, actually. I just wouldn't be *as* happy as I would be if Dadi won.

Kind of the same deal as with Norway and Lithuania. I really wanted Rein and Moniqué. I got the second best (realistic) option instead. Oh well, I'm satisfied all the same.

Alaska49

yeah so iceland has a similar dilemma to lithuania in that they have a big fun male-fronted entry and a deep introspective female-fronted entry and both are great. i hope they will make the same decision as lithuania did today, but they will probably make the opposite one, and that's fine and i calmly accept it.

FINALISTS RANKING
1- daði freyr - think about things (12 points)
2- iva - oculis videre (10 points)
3- dimma - almyrkvi (8 points)
4- nina - echo (6 points)
5- ísold & helga - meet me halfway (song: 6 points, the s!sters ptsd i had with the live performance: 0 points, average: 3 points)

Last edited:

Uto

Veteran
Iva progressed, rest doesn't matter. Iva has to win in Iceland. You can't let such an opportunity slide.

Kitakaze

I was a little let down with Iva’s performance but the song still lends itself to a much more interesting concept on a larger stage if she were to win. I think the live vocal will always be a bit shaky given her lack of experience but I’m glad they didn’t centre the performance around or draw attention to her disability. Just hope we get to see something more mesmerising and high impact with more staging options in May.

Loindici

Veteran
Iva progressed, rest doesn't matter. Iva has to win in Iceland. You can't let such an opportunity slide.

Nah, Datdi is also an opportunity. Sending Datdi would make Semi 2 become an even bigger party!

• Like It
Reactions: Mrm

EscGeek

Veteran
Now that Brynja is out, i'm for Dimma and Nina.
Ekkó sounds very icelandic to me. I'm surprised it didn't do well with the public

Uto

Veteran
Nah, Datdi is also an opportunity. Sending Datdi would make Semi 2 become an even bigger party!
Yeah I don't care about parties. Nothing wrong with silly stuff like that, as long as its actually really good. This one isn't particularly good and it never really shifts gears. Songs like that also run into a lot of direct competition and have a hard time winning over the jury. Song won't do well in Eastern Europe. It will likely have trouble getting out of the semis. Oculis is very effective with juries and with proper staging will be one we are going to remember for a long time. Why take an entertaining also-ran over a memorable class act? Because rofl bop bop lmao party? I just don't understand this.

Loindici

Veteran
Yeah I don't care about parties. Nothing wrong with silly stuff like that, as long as its actually really good. This one isn't particularly good and it never really shifts gears. Songs like that also run into a lot of direct competition and have a hard time winning over the jury. Song won't do well in Eastern Europe. It will likely have trouble getting out of the semis. Oculis is very effective with juries and with proper staging will be one we are going to remember for a long time. Why take an entertaining also-ran over a memorable class act? Because rofl bop bop lmao party? I just don't understand this.

As if I'm taking DaFlo's words: why so serious b

Anyways If I have to be serious too: I'm okay with Iva winning as much as I'm okay with DIMMA or Gagnamagnitd winning. Each song is a great addition on different genres: DIMMA with rock/metal, Iva with a saint chant kinda song, and Gagnamagnitd with their fun disco track. DIMMA's aren't really on the usual Eurovision palate but can continue Iceland's tradition of sending unconventional things. Iva might do it with juries but keeping Oculis Videre on Icelandic might hinder her and the presentation of the song might be too 'dark' (a stale kind of dark, unlike HATARI) for televoters if it was kept this way. Gagnamagnitd is really likable, and that's good for televoting, although when it comes to juries it feels more like gambling rather than a sure pick. Since they all have their own prospects, I'm crossing my fingers and just wish that the Icelandic people (and the international juries) will be happy over whichever song they would pick.

Uto

Veteran
As if I'm taking DaFlo's words: why so serious b
Long story short: I want variety. I dislike it when there's a big premium on accessibility, especially in the national finals. At Eurovision there's no way around it, but you kind of have a choice at the national finals not to do that.

Let's say I run a simulation. I supply countries with a certain amount of songs (say 20) that are simulated by rolling 2d6 for the genre (g) and 1d10 for the quality (q). Result is q minus the absolute of 7-g, so it's the quality (graded 1-10) minus the accessibility of the song basically. If I do this, all that will ever win are accessible songs with high quality. This is not what happens in reality, most song are pretty average. So what if I scrap the top 5 and take the 6th result. In a tie I take a random one for the win.

After 10 countries I have the following table for my simple simulated Eurovision:

genre​
quality​
total​
winners​
6​
6​
5​
9​
6​
4​
9​
8​
6​
7​
7​
7​
X​
8​
6​
5​
9​
8​
6​
7​
5​
5​
7​
6​
6​
6​
8​
7​
X​
6​
8​
7​
X​

Genres are very much in the middle, this centralizing effect is immediately very strong. There was a 50/50 chance at some point of a 10/10 song being there, losing out to a 6/8. Those are my kind of songs. That single simulation, *that* is what we might see happening in Iceland. Of course I'm simply running on some base assumptions here that you may or may not agree with, but in general this pattern exists in reality. A somewhat inaccessible entry has to be better than a mainstream entry for the same amount of success and this gap widens the further you stray from the middle.

The eventual winner of Eurovision is almost always going to end up being a fairly strong mainstream song, that's fine. But why should the rest be average mainstream songs? Isn't that just boring eventually? Well, that's what national finals are doing if you don't slightly overrate variety and originality there.

Top Bottom