13 3.3%

11 2.8%

3 0.8%

18 4.6%

26 6.7%

• Total voters

hijirio

Veteran
At first it was my NR #1 out of 42 but then they translated it into English, which made it lose its spirit.
And on Saturday, (let alone the problem with vocals) they were smiling throughout the performance. It made me sooo upset! :mad:
It's a song with passion. They had to look serious. Especially the part Greta plays violin. WHYYYYY SMILE??
It could have made it to top 5 but ended up 20th. (the same place as Sjonni's friends who don't deserve to be in the same place as Greta and Jonsi :D)

as78

^
I was also very annoyed about it smiling, because it does not suit for this song in those places. I thought to myself - "I do not believe them about what they sing"

Celia

You're right...there was something wrong...probably all that smiling. It didn't fit the song at all.
I feel sorry for them, the song was pretty good. Ballads in Estonian, Albanian and Spanish ended up much higher...will they try Icelandic next year?
Also they sang between the first two "happier" songs (Russia and Cyprus) and they kind of overshadowed them.

Gerly

actually there also wasn't the chemistry between those two. They should study something from Ell and Nikki (last year performance...totally got me. I didn't vote for them :D )
If I remember right then Jonsi was very serious in semifinal and Greta smiled so much as could.
wondering whose decision it was to smile whole song :D

GRE

^
I was also very annoyed about it smiling, because it does not suit for this song in those places. I thought to myself - "I do not believe them about what they sing"

So why did she tell us that she made it in english,so that people can understand what she says?It was better now that people understood but watching her smilling?

A-lister

Veteran
It was ****, that they sang in English, so I didn´t call for them

I totally lost interest in this song in English, I think what goes around comes around. The song became extremely flat in English.

Terence

So do you guys believe that this would have scored better if sung in Icelandic? I, for one, don't think so...

alca

If it had finished around 10-15 then I would have said "YES" but now, no. Obviously the language wasn't the big problem! I do believe though that Greta's expression earned them some negative points! She kept saying that she wanted people to UNDERSTAND the lyrics and that it's a sad song but during BOTH performances she was smiling all the time. Despite the comments that were made after the semi!

Kicker

I didn't know the icelandic version before the performance, and I felt this spirit during the performance and I just don't get why this wasn't in Top5... It's such a fantastic and magic song :(

roadrunner

She kept saying that she wanted people to UNDERSTAND the lyrics and that it's a sad song but during BOTH performances she was smiling all the time. Despite the comments that were made after the semi!
xyeah I was actually hoping that she would get rid of the smiling in the Final, but imo, it was worse there. Also, they didn't have much of a connection (as a duet) onstage when in fact, having the full effect of the performance also depended on such, other than their voices.

evilperson

I think the song was ok but it came across a bit flat. As much as I like it, I think perhaps Iceland should have sent their televote winner.

Nikkita

MUST BE IN TOP 3 :( I didn't liked their gestures but the performance was still magical.
And dear Jonsi,bang meah! :mrgreen:

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
2012 has been a busy year for Ms Stefánsdóttir, providing her with a massive breakthrough in her native Iceland. With no fewer than two songs making it to the national final, Söngvakpenni Sjónvarpsins and her duet with Jónsi Never Forget lifting the title, it's time for Greta Salóme to make her album debut

Greta_Salome.thumbnail.jpg

READ MORE

NeonProject

So do you guys believe that this would have scored better if sung in Icelandic? I, for one, don't think so...
I tend to prefer ballads to be sung in English and upbeat/ dance songs in their own language. The main point of ballads is to connect with the story and emotions in the lyrics. How do you expect people to vote for such a thing when the majority of your viewers don't understand what the point of the song is?
I think changing the language to English for a song like this is the best thing you can do.

As for the whole smiling thing. I didn't notice at the time... but looking back I agree entirely. Jónsi managed to provide the seriousness of the song, but Gréta did spoil the tension he built!

CC92

I tend to prefer ballads to be sung in English and upbeat/ dance songs in their own language. The main point of ballads is to connect with the story and emotions in the lyrics. How do you expect people to vote for such a thing when the majority of your viewers don't understand what the point of the song is?
I think changing the language to English for a song like this is the best thing you can do.

Well, now I understood the meaning of the lyrics (many Europeans still did not, but anyway) and I cannot say I enjoyed the song any better. In fact, their usualness killed the song's whole mystical touch for me. Not that it became bad by that but it sounded more like a generic musical ballad rather than a tantalising ethno song which I thought it was after it had won the NF.
I absolutely hope Iceland will perform in its own language one day.

Top Bottom