18 4.6%

13 3.3%

11 2.8%

3 0.8%

18 4.6%

26 6.7%

• Total voters

Terence

I tend to prefer ballads to be sung in English and upbeat/ dance songs in their own language.
And I'm the exact opposite - I prefer ballads in native languages as they sound more 'authentic'. I agree with you about the 'audience connecting with lyrics' part though, but the sad thing is most lyrics are cliches... love/fire/desire ARGH.

Kaz

I fail to see how Iceland still hasn't won ESC yet. Every year since 2009, Iceland has sent the most amazing songs. Yohanna (Is It True?) almost won, and if Norway hadn't sent Fairytale that year, Iceland definitely would've won.

2009 - Is It True? - Yohanna (very beautiful, great voice. Way better than Fairytale.)
2010 - Je Ne Sais Quoi - Hera Bjork (such a strong voice! Very passionate and the music video is absolutely adorable.)
2011 - Coming Home - Sjonni's Friends (I cried when I heard this first time. ;-; such an emotional backstory, yet Europe took no notice to this...)
2012 - Never Forget - Greta Salome & Jonsi (I absolutely adore this. Greta Salome is a genius for creating such a strong song. Very powerful and mysterious.)
2013 - Eg A Lif - Eythor Ingi (So sweet! Eythor has such a great voice, and the music video is so sweet xheart)

I think it's because of Europolitics and bloc voting. Iceland has no neighbours, so naturally it wouldn't be part of any 'friendships'.

tuorem

^^ And the strange thing is that after Yohanna, they more or less got the same placing in the final (around the 20th place) whether it be an uptempo song (Je ne sais quoi), a midtempo song (Coming Home) or a ballad (Never Forget) ; and whether it be sung in English or in Icelandic.

Which means that indeed, both juries and televoters overlooked Iceland from 2010, even though the country started qualifying on a regular basis.

ParadiseES

Serious? I don't think any of those Icelandic songs deserved more. Even "Coming home" deserved to stay in the semis IMO...

tuorem

Serious? I don't think any of those Icelandic songs deserved more. Even "Coming home" deserved to stay in the semis IMO...

Personally, Never Forget deserved a better place. Best song they sent so far imo
As to the other, I was just highlighting the fact that Iceland sent really different songs but still they got more or less the same rank in the final, which seems strange to me compared with other Scandinavian entries. I mean they weren't great but they weren't that bad either.

ParadiseES

Personally, Never Forget deserved a better place. Best song they sent so far imo
As to the other, I was just highlighting the fact that Iceland sent really different songs but still they got more or less the same rank in the final, which seems strange to me compared with other Scandinavian entries. I mean they weren't great but they weren't that bad either.

Their final positions were not a disaster either, just pretty mediocre.

And I agree "Never forget", the song itself would've deserved a higher place since it was quite nice. But for some reason their performance didn't work well.

DanielLuis

Indeed. "Never forget" is such a weird case. I thought the song was a contender for the win, but the performance completely destroyed it, it was too cold.

Kaz

^^ Maybe cause they're from ICEland? *badum tshh*

greece

Beautiful song xheart

And so underrated!:? It deserved something much more better than 20th...

^^ Maybe cause they're from ICEland? *badum tshh*

i_was_frozen_today_wallpaper_by_spiritofthewolf87.png

DJNightingale

Somebody please explain me why this song has got only 20th place!!! The answer "Because it's Iceland and it is far from Europe" isn't an argument, because Iceland still has got many friends (:se:, :no:, :fi:, :dk:) and once it was even on the second place. Maybe there are some problems in the song. OK, maybe there were some vocal problems throughout the song, but they were very small! My all-time favourite ESC song that ever qualified to the final...
But on the other side, it's good that Iceland was in the final, not like Belarus 2015... :(

Top Bottom