11 2.8%

3 0.8%

18 4.6%

26 6.7%

• Total voters

GeorgeChali

Re: ICELAND 2012

Boring but good...
Iceland had always a standard in songs and i they rarely have bad performance...

A-lister

Veteran

Boring but good...
Iceland had always a standard in songs and i they rarely have bad performance...

What standard? I think their standard is very low.

The only thing they deliver are good live singers, but the songs and performances are safe and boring.

I hope we're up for a surprise in 2012, but I doubt we'll get any.

GeorgeChali

well i was pretty satisfied from 2009 and 2011...
They have taken a good way in the last years...

A-lister

Veteran

well i was pretty satisfied from 2009 and 2011...
They have taken a good way in the last years...

I guess it's a matter of taste offcourse, I can give them that 2008-2010 were better than some of the previous years, but still not very good.

Anyways I think they have some decent stuff in their selections though that never get to see the Eurovision light.

They should send something like this:

It's from the 2007 selection and the Icelandic language helps alot aswell, hopefully we'll hear it again sometime in Eurovision, although I doubt it.

GeorgeChali

Those selectionsof the last years show that iceland has lots to offer...
I hope they will come for the suprize in Baku...

Schlagerman1

The weird thing is that Icelandic might be the best language to change from their native to english when it comes to songs, so I don't see why not change if it gets better (and weirdly everytime it has been better for me..)! :p

Iceland has given me some really great songs and they have definitly not always gone safe and boring. I just say Silvia Night 2006 and also this years entry (even if I disliked it) was pretty brave to be them! :)

I hope Iceland have something good again next year, in icelandic or not, doesn't matter! :)

Charly

What about Björk :D

Charly

Iceland Confirms its entry being the 25th Country to do so.

Iceland will once again go throguh the Songvakeppni Sjónvarpsins selection procedure to select their Eurovision Song Contest entry for next May. The linguistically-challengingly named show has been used by Eurovision’s most westerly nation almost constantly since their debut in the 90s.

The 2012 version will once again require all songs to be performed in Icelandic in the national final stage. Any person legally resident in Iceland as at October 1 2010 is eligible to enter, and foreign composers may enter as part of a co-production with an Icelandic national. RÚV will whittle the entries down using a judging panel, and also hiding the names of those behind the songs to avoid any bias at this stage.

The national final is expected to take place, once again, over a number of semifinals- the dates of which, along with that of the final, will be announced in due course.

Charly

Söngvakeppni Sjónvarpsins will retain its traditional structure. The national selection will take place between January and February, with the final being preceded by several semifinal shows. The exact broadcast dates will be announced by RÚV in due course.

The submissions period is already open and will remain so until October 10th. Both native Icelandic citizens and people legally residing in the country before October 1st 2010 can apply. Icelandic composers are however allowed to collaborate with composers residing abroad and each composer may enter a maximum of three songs. Icelandic public broadcaster RÚV has also announced that all entries in the running to represent the country in Baku shall be performed entirely in Icelandic.

The songs to make it to the televised phase of the Icelandic selection will be selected by an internal committee. The real identity of the authors will remain secret to avoid biased decisions. The names of the lucky participants in the Icelandic selection will be announced at a press conference.

More details on Söngvakeppni Sjónvarpsins 2012 are available here (in Icelandic). http://www.ruv.is/other_files/skjol/songvakeppnin2012_reglur.pdf
Application form can be found here. http://www.ruv.is/other_files/skjol/songvakeppnin2012_eydublad.doc

AlekS

Veteran

The deadline is over and RÚV has already received 150 entries. Almost like last year.

There will be no semis. Just 1 final show in February.

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member

RÚV, The Icelandic national broadcaster, has now taken this opportunity to mix things up after talks with OGAE Iceland. It has been decided to bring the fans to the table and they will have one of the five votes, as well as a couple of Eurovision veterans; Hera Björk and Eiríkur Hauksson, who both have represented Iceland in the Eurovision Song Contest.

Another expert on the panel is Valgerður Guðnadóttir,. She has no significant Eurovision experience and will thus bring somewhat of an outsider’s opinion and will have on of those five votes. Eiríkur and Hera, however, both know the competition inside out, and have both represented Iceland in the competition

Eirikur Hauksson has been in the Eurovision contest three times. In 1986, the first time Iceland compeated in Eurovision with the song ,,Gleðibankinn”, singin with Pálmi Gunnarsson and Helgu Möller and in 2007 with the song ,,Valentine Lost”. He also represented Norway in 1991 with the group Just 4 Fun, and he had a seat on the Nordic expert panel a few years back, in a similar but all-Nordic TV show.

Hera Bjork has been in Eurovision. She was one of the backing vocals in 2008 when Friðrik Ómar and Regína Ósk were leading vocals in the song ,,This is my life” and was also a backing vocal for Yohanna in 2009 when Iceland was in 2nd place with the song ,,Is it true”. Hera got here change as a leading vocal in her song ,,Je ne ses quoi” in 2010 and did a good job.

Valgerður Guðnadóttir has not compeated in Eurovision but she studied in Guildhall School of music and drama in London and graduated in 2000. She had before that finished her 8 stage in singing in Reykjavik Academy of Singing and Vocal Arts with highest grade. She has been singin and acting in theaters in Iceland, singing in concerts in Iceland and in England and is a sopran singer.

That leaves one member of the panel undecided but RÚV will possibly be recruiting an expert from the world of classical music to broaden the view of the panel further. Reynir Þór Eggertsson, one of the best known Eurovision experts in Iceland, will also have a role to play on the show, as he has previously done when Páll Óskar hosted it, although he will not be eligible to vote this time.

FÁSES – OGAE Iceland is thrilled with this new scheme and is certain that its members will bring a good and reliable view to the table. This will help raise the club’s profile even more and distribute general knowledge of FÁSES- OGAE Iceland further to all Icelandic Eurovision fans.

The episodes will be shot in April of 2012 and will air in the weeks before the Eurovision Song Contest in Baku.
Alla leið, Söngvakeppni Sjónvarpsins and the Eurovison Contest have really good ratings in Iceland, up to 80%.

Source

A-lister

Veteran

Alla leið, Söngvakeppni Sjónvarpsins and the Eurovison Contest have really good ratings in Iceland, up to 80%.

That's nice, but quite logical when it comes to the small ESC nations with barely any TV channels to chose from. It's the same in Malta for instance.

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member

Rumor has it that Iceland changed the format of the national selection in 2012 from one show to four.

Top Bottom