Contact us

I am hopping on the bandwagon and PED is upon us

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
AND NOW, A HANDFUL OF AWESOME SONGS THAT ENTRIES WHICH'VE ALREADY BEEN RANKED STOPPED FROM GOING TO EUROVISION

tuorem

I 100% agree on #92 to #90 xlove Love your notes and gifs too :D

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Hersi xheart i mean, she's hopeless. "One last night's" anger is too quirky and weird and non-conformist to ever do well in Eurovision, but bless that it exists.

ZALAGASPER xheart ETHEREAL PRINCE AND PRINCESS OF MY HEART. Finally a romance I can INVEST in xheart ps: "It's boring questions like this that makes us want to go home :(" is the best answer anyone has given at an ESC press conference and deserves a rise by about ~90 spots by itself.

The most notable thing about Iriao is that the lead guy looks like a mii.

Alaska49

belated notes!!
- i do prefer albania now that they have decided to tell the juries to eat it and gag and have done away with wild revamps and translations. hersi gradually shed away everything that made her initial FiK win great, from original to revamp and from the lowkey hilarious music video to the stage, and by eurovision she was but a ill-tattooed husk of herself, sadly.
- her voice really is one of the very few times i actually paid attention to someone's voice in a "actually this sounds interesting irrespective of the song" way, though. i wish she would win FiK again. new, confident albania would treat her right.
- sebi could be like 17 minutes long and i'd be immersed in it the entire way through. i live for zala and gasper just being there for each other and nobody else. one of my favourite performances of the entire decade. my raiven mourning lasted like 7 minutes maybe, and i think kaos is BRILLIANT.
- the only thing that they changed for the worse in the staging was gasper's shirt. that damn oversized white shirt is good for a night of a sleep, not a night of eurovision. that's the kind of thing the barbara dex award used to exist for before it was hijacked by people who only know how to point and laugh like a toddler. he's too good looking for that. if i were zala, i would have never allowed it.
- also we need to talk about their insta? zala kralj is living my dream life https://www.instagram.com/p/By3Co3OAx1J/
- omg someone who actually likes ethno jazz band iriao more than i do!!!!!!
- i would actually like for you (ain't nobody got time for "sheni gulistvis", that's too many consonants for my lusophone brain) a lot more as an eurovision entry if it had, like... staging? in any capacity? they were just there and eurovision is an audiovisual experience and so my ethno jazz band iriao fandom was stunted. i still like the song quite a bit though. i think it's darling.
- also, i always refer to them as ethno jazz band iriao in full, out of RESPECT. and yes, it stops feeling like a real sentence quick, but i don't care.
- don't be ashamed of sucking at videogames!! most people do, and sometimes it's the whole point. for you does feel like it would be buried as the theme of some mid-game city of an early-mid 00s final fantasy game.

Alaska49

hello calvin we love you please continue this someday

tuorem

hello calvin we love you please continue this someday

Yes please! xheart

Post-Eurovision Depression ended a long time ago, now we suffer from CRW: Calvin's Reviews Withdrawal. xheat I hope Dahhlingenrose will address this public health issue.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
I'M SORRY Y'ALL I'VE BEEN COMPLETING THE JASMINE MASTERS GET A JOB CHALLENGE

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

Preuss

[MENTION=14007]lavieenrose[/MENTION]
"Start A Fire" is amazing, but it's a pity that the staging wasn't batter. I don't really mind the trapeze artist but I definitely think they could've staged it other ways! :?
And did you notice that during rehearsals, Dilara's dress was lighted up and it looked beautiful but then they cut it for the semi-performance? I never understood why they did it. Also I wasn't really fond of her hair during the semi- or final performance, looked much better in the rehearsals imo :(

Preuss

It looked much better here! The hair, the dress, the colours of the crystals and I'd much more prefer the backdrop for the last 30 seconds than the backdrop they went for in the semi and final. I think this was the entry that got me "hooked" on Eurovison xlove

Realest

Elhaida sung perfectly live.

tuorem

I see some serious points were made again xheart

Justice for "Start A Fire", I totally agree with Calvin's comment. Indeed Dilara didn't really sing that well in the grand final. Also, she was unlucky to perform so early - which is tricky for a slow song - and everyone forgot about her eventually. Nonetheless, it remains one of my favourite Azerbaijani entries: the composition was exquisite and the presentation was tasteful. I wish they went for less manufactured efforts more often (and while we're at it: where Azerbaijani language at? xthink).

"Suus" and Rona gave me life back in 2012 and the chills are still intact. I suppose Rainy and I share the same fascination and respect for this improbable act that made history for Albania. Easily one of my favourite Eurovision entries ever (with Telemóveis, Nocturne, Net Als Toen and a few others): so raw, emotional and gripping.

Regarding "I'm Alive", the tea was served hot. Elhaida vocally messed up every single performance she did in the contest imo, we know she can sing (I mean she wouldn't have been able to cover "Suus" otherwise), so I assume stress and fatigue got the best of her at the wrong time. Her voice sounded quite strained, shaky and unreliable during both the semi final and the final. Back in 2015, I discovered the song live and I didn't get why people were raving about that messy ass effort... Then I listened to the studio version and literally believed it was a different song :lol: 'tis the moment when I saw the beauty of the composition as it should have been experienced. To sum up, I liked "I'm Alive" a lot, but the live performances were not good at all to me, it was like night and day. I'm surprised Elhaida did so well with the televoters with that vocal delivery actually, the juries murdered her and sadly I think it was kind of deserved based on that.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
lol I don't like any of those three.

I'm alive is fine I guess but I disagree with Realest; Elhaida sounded kind of bad to me (though mostly in the semifinal). The song itself is an academic vocal exercise though, which is a subcategory of Avant Garde I don't care much about at all.

"Start a fire" and "Suus" are both dire. "Start a fire" is miserable and lifeless and was really bad live (good lord Dilara's diction was SO poor for a song this lyric-heavy) and worst of all, it fucking QUALIFIED, murdering sweet Boris' Angels Suzy and Aarzemnieki which is UNACCEPTABLE!!

As for "Suus"... there are several things about it which are *obnoxiously* complacent and grind my gears (starting with the pretentious Latinized title, the revolting aesthetic, the fake sobbing) and this comes entirely independently from Craterface's voice which I absolutely HATE. She FAILED both high notes in the grand final, harrassing our eardrums with the sound you hear when forget put your water kettle off the heat.

However, over the years I've evolved from mostly hating "Suus" to mostly hating the "Suus" fanboys (which doesn't include you because you don't have it THAT high on your list) who claim it's a moving piece of 'art' when in reallity it's just really jarring and smug, and only did well because 2012 is a barren wasteland with very little options. I'm usually ALL FOR avant garde in ESC, but "Suus" ain't one for me.

Alaska49

THOTS:
-- dilara isn't one and start a fire would be better if she was. they surgically removed all personality she clearly had pre-show from her, and then gave her a song that was equally devoid of personality. one unique instrument does not a song make for me, and start a fire is as empty as when the music dies, but at least not downright scarily performed as that one. god, sabina is nightmare fuel to me. azerbaijan only sits with me again starting in 2015.
-- i would never open facebook for write-up material though, so i appreciate your effort. xheart
-- suus, on the other hand, i completely understand why it is beloved and it deserves all the praise it gets. it IS unique, it IS well performed, she DID spill out all of her insides like some sort of sea cucumber (is that why she looked like that on stage?), and that deserves a bunch of fans. but shit activates my fight or flight response so i absolutely cannot, tough luck, rona. =(
-- i must say the comparison rainy made between suus and proud this season made me think about trying to quash that visceral reaction someday because i do love proud.
-- ELHAIDA xheart i am alive is great and i will now start some controversy and say i don't even understand why people say it's so terribly performed? it doesn't sound that terrible to me, not in the semifinal and not in the final. i have functioning ears, i promise.
-- either way she was absolutely shanked by the juries in the final because they vote on the jury final performance which we didn't see. she deserved better. you can't change my mind!!
-- also, she did one of my favourite things in the entire eurovision world, which is to look distinctly different in both performances. even if it's mostly just her hair, i live for some evidence that i am not watching the same thing all over again without it being because of a mistake. ebu should allow people who change their outfits for the final if they want, tbh. it improves our experience!

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
I have Friday off and will be updating this then.

Top Bottom