Hungary HUNGARY 2021 - not taking part

escYOUnited

Administrator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

MalagaToledo

Banned
[/QUOTE]
Does it say anything if he is sad how lgbt community is treated in his country and what he as a famous person does to stop that and change it, especially since he participated in esc??
What does that law have to do with taking part in Eurovision though? xshrug
What does that have to do with esc??? Well, that has a lot to do with Eurovision. I don't know have you heard but one of the most and key aspects of esc are diversity, inclusion. In Eurovision there are slogans for each year like Celebrate diversity, Open UP, there are booed at Russian singers, there is a cheer in the arena when Irish govt passed equal marriage act, there are lgbt ppl who won, there are lgbt commentators (Edward af sullen from Sweden for example) who are gay, heads of delegation like chorister bjorkman from Sweden who are gay, very important ppl regarding esc who are gay like Jan ola sand esc winners like Dana, Johnny logan, loreen, Duncan, conchuta and many more, key audience of esc is lgbt. Need I continue? Laura bretan? Xavier naidoo doesn't ring a bell? Lgbt, diversity, inclusion and esc have a lot to do with each other. If they don't like that and can't accept, we don't need them.

BTW, the best hung result was 4th place in 1994. Some of u weren't even born. Enough said about quality of their entries. They stopped participating in esc for the same reason as Turkey. At least they are not hypocrites and are sticking to their principles.

PS I don't mind them comming back in few dacades but only after in real life they have changed and they really stick up to esc principles of diversity and inclusion. When we see lgbts are treated equally, they are welcome.

Last edited:

A-lister

Veteran
Does it say anything if he is sad how lgbt community is treated in his country and what he as a famous person does to stop that and change it, especially since he participated in esc??

What does that have to do with esc??? Well, that has a lot to do with Eurovision. I don't know have you heard but one of the most and key aspects of esc are diversity, inclusion. In Eurovision there are slogans for each year like Celebrate diversity, Open UP, there are booed at Russian singers, there is a cheer in the arena when Irish govt passed equal marriage act, there are lgbt ppl who won, there are lgbt commentators (Edward af sullen from Sweden for example) who are gay, heads of delegation like chorister bjorkman from Sweden who are gay, very important ppl regarding esc who are gay, key audience of esc is lgbt. Need I continue? Laura bretan? Xavier naidoo doesn't ring a bell? Lgbt, diversity, inclusion and esc have a lot to do with each other. If they don't like that and can't accept, we don't need them.

BTW, the best hung result was 4th place in 1994. Some of u weren't even born. Enough said about quality of their entries. They stopped participating in esc for the same reason as Turkey. At least they are not hypocrites and are sticking to their principles.

PS I don't mind them comming back in few dacades but only after in real life they have changed and they really stick up to esc principles of diversity and inclusion. When we see lgbts are treated equally, they are welcome.

As I wrote on the other page, I'm fully aware what Eurovision means to these communities and how well integrated the communities are with the contest, BUT, contrary to some "popular belief", in the end of the day it's an apolitical music contest and all attempts trying to "claim" the contest for "ourselves" are just that, attempts, it's still not some GLAAD awards show and majority of viewers are straight casual viewers and for many countries and artists is big business and a way to showcase yourself, music and country hence why we have plenty of countries taking part with at least "questionable" stances on gay people and transgender people.

My point was that just because Hungary introduces a certain law on recognizing genders, doesn't equal them not having any interest in taking part in Eurovision. Maybe the fact that Eurovision is big within certain communities and the influence is obvious is the reason they don't take part, I dunno if that's the reason, but then again I can list a bunch of countries where it's much worse to be gay or trans than Hungary that happily take part in Eurovision.

Last edited:

MalagaToledo

Banned
As I wrote on the other page, I'm fully aware what Eurovision means to these communities and how well integrated the communities are with the contest
Those communities? You mean your community cause u said you are gay yourself. Listen, u don't need to repeat 5x that there are countries who participate in esc who made discrimination legal. It is clearly not alright and it doesn't justify Hungary gov and majority of Hungarians who elected them.
There is no no denial about the reason why tjey don't participate in esc. It is more than obvious. There will be even more lgbt acts if they don't like it, well tough luck, esc continues without them. And tbh, I'd rather have turkey than Hungary any time of the year in esc. You can keep defending Hungary gov, but im not here for it. My point is Clear. Have a nice day, u don't have to reply on my post. Adios!!

A-lister

Veteran
Those communities? You mean your community cause u said you are gay yourself. Listen, u don't need to repeat 5x that there are countries who participate in esc who made discrimination legal. It is clearly not alright and it doesn't justify Hungary gov and majority of Hungarians who elected them.
There is no no denial about the reason why tjey don't participate in esc. It is more than obvious. There will be even more lgbt acts if they don't like it, well tough luck, esc continues without them. And tbh, I'd rather have turkey than Hungary any time of the year in esc. You can keep defending Hungary gov, but im not here for it. My point is Clear. Have a nice day, u don't have to reply on my post. Adios!!

You start your reply with a question mark and end it with that you don't want a reply ? :lol: ... clearly you are unable to argue with what I wrote...

I'm not defending any government or policies here, I'm just claiming facts and try to look at it from an objective and not emotional point of view, so just because you don't like Hungary in ESC or as you put it "prefer Turkey" (so much for trying to disguise your personal taste behind "moral stances"), doesn't change that they could still return to the contest whether they have certain laws or not and those laws are unrelated to entering the contest, that was my whole point, not defending any policies or government. Your point was simply flawed and that's it so yeah... Adios I guess! :lol:

Daybreak

You do realise though that Turkey is also homophobic, right? They've been increasingly Islamist under Erdogan and they've actually used Conchita Wurst as a reason why they don't want to participate anymore.

DenizESC

Banned
I think this rule might affect their participation definitely though, is there any other country even in Europe which such an idiotic rule as ending 'recognition of trans people' like what even. Let's hope they still take part and this wave globally can end smh with such dumb leaders, many believed such rules would not be implemented but they are, the world can change just like that so never take anything for granted.

I still wish both Hungary and Turkey take part xcry for Turkey another broadcaster than conservative TRT would do wonders but Idk how they'd even make that happen. Other broadcasters have showed interest but I didn't see requests to them.

For Hungary, they might take part but don't be shocked if they rage quit if there is a pro-LGBT act.

MalagaToledo

Banned
You do realise though that Turkey is also homophobic, right? They've been increasingly Islamist under Erdogan and they've actually used Conchita Wurst as a reason why they don't want to participate anymore.
Yeah, im very well aware of the reason why they pulled out and if u read carefully my last posts, u would know that I said the same exact thing. But there is a huge difference, Turkish entries in most times had amazing quality. That's the only reason I miss them and because of oriental sound. I wouldn't mind that hypocrisy is out of esc and only countries who accept esc reddy in what it stands for participate and the rest can create their own versions. BTW, Russia, Turkey both had and planned their own versions. BTW, someone said politics and esc cannot interfere (coughs cyp gre 12 ots). Maybe someone who has never watched esc.

mauve

Veteran
CAN WE WITNESS HUNGARY BACK NEXT YEAR....
They can't stop hiding and bring something unexpected......
I don't care if its rap song,rock,bop or something ethnic
JUST I NEED MY FAVOURITE COUNTRY BACK.....
You put the right video with the right language version here. :love:

BernadetteCydonia

speaking of Viszlat nyar... well guess what season we're in now :D

Instead of arguing whether they need to comeback ONLY if their human rights are cleared of tyranny, let's discuss who would you want to see on Eurovision from Hungary regardless. I'm still holding out on my dream to see Leander Kills one day I guess...

JohnArg

Brandt

Can't believe the country which sent Dance With Me a decade ago now complains about Eurovision becoming too gay.

A-lister

Veteran
They're still having A Dal in 2021? The 2020 winner would have been one of Hungary's best ESC entries to date, and one of the best entries of the 2020 edition .

It's sad, but not surprising, to see them out for yet another year. I really hope to see them back in 2022 though... and before people drag the whole LGBT discussion as an "explanation" again, one needs to look at Hungary's history with Eurovision which has been ambivalent to say the least... debut in 1994 (1993), then disappearing for almost a decade between 1999-2004, and between 2005-2019 they actually withdrew on 2 occasions as well (2006, 2010).

Russia is still happily taking part in Eurovision despite being one of the current ESC countries with the worst track-record of gay rights and human rights in general, and countries like Azerbaijan, Belarus and Armenia (just to name some) are hardly gay friendly either.

I think Hungary's withdrawal can be political to some extent, but not in the way some have perceived it to be (with the whole LGBT thing), but rather I think the Hungarian broadcaster feel that some of the other countries/broadcasters don't treat them objectively in the contest because they (the other broadcasters) can't leave their political views and perceptions about Hungary (and the contest) aside and have that influence how they treat Hungary in the contest (see the jury votes 2017-2018, some of the commentaries made by national commentators and national media etc.), so my bet would be that this is the actual reason for Hungary's withdrawal.

rasmuslights

Veteran
They're still having A Dal in 2021? The 2020 winner would have been one of Hungary's best ESC entries to date, and one of the best entries of the 2020 edition .

It's sad, but not surprising, to see them out for yet another year. I really hope to see them back in 2022 though... and before people drag the whole LGBT discussion as an "explanation" again, one needs to look at Hungary's history with Eurovision which has been ambivalent to say the least... debut in 1994 (1993), then disappearing for almost a decade between 1999-2004, and between 2005-2019 they actually withdrew on 2 occasions as well (2006, 2010).

Russia is still happily taking part in Eurovision despite being one of the current ESC countries with the worst track-record of gay rights and human rights in general, and countries like Azerbaijan, Belarus and Armenia (just to name some) are hardly gay friendly either.

I think Hungary's withdrawal can be political to some extent, but not in the way some have perceived it to be (with the whole LGBT thing), but rather I think the Hungarian broadcaster feel that some of the other countries/broadcasters don't treat them objectively in the contest because they (the other broadcasters) can't leave their political views and perceptions about Hungary (and the contest) aside and have that influence how they treat Hungary in the contest (see the jury votes 2017-2018, some of the commentaries made by national commentators and national media etc.), so my bet would be that this is the actual reason for Hungary's withdrawal.

agree I don't think LGBT reason is the reason they withdrew.. it's probably financial or any other reason, maybe just a break, maybe they intended to return this year, but decided not to because of the corona

Top Bottom