Hungary HUNGARY 2020 - not taking part

escYOUnited

Administrator
hu.png

HayashiM

Veteran
Playlist of tonight's performances.

There were big changes to the voting:
After the performances only the juries voted. Televoting only started after the last song. The voting was stopped after a while and the song with least votes at that point was eliminated (Bence Vavra's Talk2night), then the jury also eliminated one song (Zaporozsec) These two votings are quite cruel imo.

Then the voting went on for 5 minutes more, after which the televoting result was added to the juries' points, with the televoting winner getting additional 40 points, the 2nd 35, and so on, the 8th of the televoting getting only 5 points.
The 7th and 8th of this list were eliminated (Muriel and Ya Ou) and the Top six that went through were Szabolcs Varga (6th), HolyChicks (5th), Bogi Nagy (4th), Dénes Pál (3rd), Horus x Marcus (2nd), Fatal Error winning the night.

Thanks a lot!

Edward

Woah, what happened to the forums and when?

Thanks for the informative post @balizeg.

My traditional review of the night despite A Dal being irrelevant to this year's ESC, sadly:

So the winner gets 8M forint and a spot on Strand Festival (Sziget?) as far as I understood?

First things first. Freddie not looking good with that long hair. Unless he's auditioning for a Magyar remake of Conan the Barbarian?
Not a fan of his new partner either, Dallos Bogi was far superior.

As for the juries...I don't know the reasons for the departure of Misi and Both. Probably this whole not taking part in ESC this year? Can't blame them if so. But the later is missed at least. His iconic 5 min monologues were already synonym with the show itself.
As for the new guys...no idea. Neutral opinion for now. Understood one of them was some sort of a journalist or something but then when they juries took up the stage they all sang and the guy sang pretty well so no idea about that really. Favorite jury remains that of 2018.
To be fair the ones that remained from last year kinda get on my nerves. Lilla is kind of over the top emotional and she shouldn't even announce her votes - I already know what they're going to be just by reading her body language. Feró is kind of even worse though. I get it that he's the "clown" of the troupe but he kind of overdoes it. Also he doesn't seem very open minded to genres that aren't of his liking. We get it that he's an old school rocker but I think someone with a broader taste in music would perhaps be a better option to judge all these different styles. Just my two cents...

I liked the intro song. Usually these come out well. Nice video concept idea. Lovely to see some 50 egos crammed into the same wagon. Don't know why it works, but it did.

Vavra Bence's input this year was disappointing. Easily his worst. That background band and the forced jolly tune convinced no one. Have no problems seeing him go. He performs best solo and singing about love despair. This style didn't fit him at all.

As for Varga Szabolcs...kind of a mediocre effort there. Sort of surprised he made it through. What was all that hand holding with Nagy Bogi though? Can only assume they're good friends :D

Horus x Marcus ft. Fekete Bori - This was alright. Could really do without the rappers however. The violin melody is pretty nice. As for Bori vocals...not the strongest, neither the weakest. Room for improvement but not envision this on the final for now.

Ya Ou...couldn't help but being reminded of Robin Bengtsson with that treadmil, lol. Is he from Chinese descent or what? Because I don't get that name otherwise. Doesn't look very Chinese however. Genuinly confused. The song was one of first 3 that did nothing for me. So no problems with not ever seing him perform again. Public chose well tonight for a change.

HolyChicks...well, they could really work on their image. I'm not one for "girl power rock" band but "Pillangóhatás" has its moments. Pretty decent melody and atmosphere for what it's for. Was a bit surprised at the low scoring by some members of the jury. Thought it was the first really energetic performance of the night. Maybe it was too colorful to some of them.

Muriel...must say it was the silliest song of the night. No idea whether they were being serious or not. Language barrier gets in my way to understand this act. Whatever brand of coffee they were selling seems no one was willing to have it anyway. Really no surprise to see them gone already. Putting them side to side with Fatal Error at the end had a more obvious outcome than Vincze's facial expressions. Farewell brewers of dull acoustic songs.

Nagy Bogi was really the only act I enjoyed. "Maradok" is no "Holnap" but it's a very heartwarming solid ballad as well. The melody and arrangements blend perfectly with Bogi's faultless in tune singing. Such a pleasant voice she has. And a really captivating image. Hoping Hungary won't be wasting a solid performer as her in years to come and ends up sending her to ESC (should you guys return) in the coming years. With a ballad ofc. Very touching. I think Feró was in tears again like last year :D Easily a finalist and why not win the whole thing this time around, no heavy guns around like last year so has a better chance.

Zaporozsec's song just fell flat. But no difference there to the likes of Ya Ou or Pál Dénes. So I do not understand what was the beef with the jury. When Feró said that öt I could see the vocalist dying inside (or starting to plan Feró's murder :p). Can't think of reason for such low scoring. At least they had better image than the other crashing bores. Seems the public followed jury's indication anyway. Bet they regret even taking part at all now - though there's no such thing as bad promotion, so there's that for them, I guess.

Pál Dénes song was another snoozer to me. The enchanted forest background didn't help much. Guy seemed a bit smug. Don't think he'll go too far. Though he has teenage hearthrob image going on for him, I guess.

As for Fatal Error...I loathed their participation last year. This combo of acting like clowns with poorly written metal tunes make me cringe. Really don't like their image, in particular the vocalist who on top of that has a pretty annoying voice. I'm all for good metal acts (still mourning Leander 2017) but they are simply overrated. The juries help with their over the top reactions. Seems like they never listened to real metal music before. I have to say however, "Néma" has its moments. It is better than their song from last year. And it was more entertaining to see their keyboarder nearly doing a fatal split on top of that keyboard rather than the awkward dive to the ground that the vocalist did last year.

All in all this is no longer A Dal as we knew it but it's still A Dal, breathing through life support machines in some way and going on forward. I think if Hungary is to return next year that A Dal will be kept as the selection format.

No idea who performs next week but looking forward to see what Biga brings to the table whenever he goes on stage. Looked quite different from 2 years ago in the intro song videoclip. Other than that I think I liked Mocsok 1 Kölykök's song last year if memory serves me right and curious to see what iconic established ESC act Kati Wolf will come up with.

Other than that plenty of familiar names (Berkes Olivér, Konyha, Nene, Patikadomb, etc.) but not really excited for any of those. Only Patikadomb for laughs.

Sad to think this is all the result of the injustice of not qualifying Joci to the final last year. Far worse songs went through instead. In return we get this when we could be excited about a real NF to elect the Magyar representative in Rotterdam as per tradition every year. Hopefully just a one-off year, would be awful in Hungary followed the footsteps of Turkey or Slovakia...

Sammy

Veteran
If they don't participate in Eurovision, there's no reason to watch ADal. I mean - I don't spend my time watching local musical shows in Russia, France or Ireland either. Or in Vietnam and Tunisia for that matter.
But the low figures may also indicate that people in Hungary are not happy with the decision of the TV station to withdraw.

BorisBubbles

Veteran

Daybreak

Yeah, like randajad said, the ratings had apparently been going downhill for years - I remember someone posting about it last year. That might've been one of their reasons to pull out of Eurovision in the first place.

Sammy

Veteran
So Viktor Orban sets up a "National cultural council" to "steer cultural branches".
In other words - cultural activities now are openly transformed into a tool to promote the political agenda of the party in power. I never had thought that we'd see this again happen any member state of the European Union but it proves my suspicions why Hungary has withdrawn.

Last edited:

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

burrito

In other words - cultural activities now are openly transformed into a tool to promote the political agenda of the party in power. I never had thought that we'd see this again happen any member state of the European Union but it proves my suspicions why Hungary has withdrawn.

What a shame.

They probably aren't coming back anytime soon then. Certainly not in 2021 yet.

balizeg

So A Dal 2020 ended tonight.

The voting in the final was done as in previous editions.
Out of the final 8, Fatal Error, Turbo, Tortuga, Nikolas Takács, Márk Ember, Nene, Zsóka Kóbor & Patrik Polgár, Reni Orsovai & Gergő Rácz, the jury picked Turbo, Márk Ember, Nene, and Reni Orsovai & Gergő Rácz. (Reni Orsovai is also the lead singer of the band Nene so she was involved in two songs).
The televoters then picked Reni Orsovai & Gergő Rácz as the winners.
If MTVA didn't withdraw, then Hungary would have had a returning act for the second year in a row as Gergő Rácz took part in ESC 1997 as a meber of V.I.P., he was also on stage in 2008 as part of Csézy's backing vocals, and was at ESC 2011 with Kati Wolf as the co-composer of her song.
"Mostantól" is already a radio hit in Hungary, with 11 millions of YT views, so its win is not a big surprise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jmJlN2A1Hw

The live performance however wasn't strong vocally:

There were some promising changes to A Dal this year, like trying to give a bigger say to televoters in the heats and semis. It was also interesting that after the heats, in the other rounds the acoustic versions were performed.

The viewing figures were very low, ranging between 200.000 and 240.000.
We will see whether that will bring any changes for next year.

opinionsigotem

Oh great, my #1 won and it doesn't get to be on eurovision. WHY HUNGARY, WHY? xcry

idk how it would have done in semi 1 (assuming that's where it would have been) but this was a strong A Dal in general (even though a lot of the songs couldn't have gone to Eurovision due to being released too early) and I liked them a lot, plus Gergo would have been another returnee to add to the list (he was part of VIP in 1997!).

njdevils94

Veteran
Mostantól! xheart xcheer

Best winner of the night. Too bad Hungary aren't in Eurovision this year. :cry:

Would've been in contention for my number 1 of the year and easily in my top 5.

Reni has a really bright music future. She's very talented.

abenteuer

I'm impressed -- "Mostantól" is a very well written pop song and would rank in my personal top three, for sure. Really wish Hungary was participating this year as there is nothing that sounds like this in the contest now.

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
It wasn't my #1 in A DAL (KIES was) but it definitely would have been in my Top 10, maybe Top 5. What a missed opportunity, it would have been nice to have this genre in Rotterdam.

Top Bottom