• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
Hungary11.png

NikkiBoy

GIGI RADICS

SRBIJA

Banned
Radics Gigi or Cserpes Laura would be a good choice I think.

A-lister

Veteran
Hungary doesn't need some wail singer with some dated ballad...

THIS is the type of music that Hungary needs!

Holdviola

A-lister

Veteran
I really hope that the surprise/dark horse success of Hungary 2013 (which is Hungary's third best position to date since its debut) will make Hungary confident enough to continue sending entries in their awesome language and dare to try different things musically aswell.

They should maintain their music style of the last 3 years in the ESC. And definitely something like 2013 : )! They have one of the best music taste, among with Estonia.

QwaarJet

ESC Moderator
I really hope that the surprise/dark horse success of Hungary 2013 (which is Hungary's third best position to date since its debut) will make Hungary confident enough to continue sending entries in their awesome language and dare to try different things musically aswell.

I think this year it was the uniqueness of the song, and less the language that gave Hungary a good finish. My mum really liked the song, and said she found it quite relaxing. There's no doubt in my mind though, that for that type of song, Hungarian can work well.

PeterLPZ

Oh yes, the Hungarian song of this year was excellent - this rythm and his voice were brilliant. I hope for a similar good song next year. And good news, that Hungary confirms participation.

A-lister

Veteran
I think this year it was the uniqueness of the song, and less the language that gave Hungary a good finish. My mum really liked the song, and said she found it quite relaxing. There's no doubt in my mind though, that for that type of song, Hungarian can work well.

I think it's a combo of language and song, I think that's the case in most cases. If you'd sing it in English it would sound like many indie/hipster-ish tracks out there, Hungarian makes it even more "odd" (in a good way) in this context.

A-lister

Veteran
Oh yes, the Hungarian song of this year was excellent - this rythm and his voice were brilliant. I hope for a similar good song next year. And good news, that Hungary confirms participation.

Sending a similar song wouldn't be the right approach, being a one-trick pony isn't really honorable, however (as I wrote before) atleast they know that they can try something different and in Hungarian and still succeed.

GRE

For the third year running, there is once again a huge interest for A Dal in Hungary, as many popular singers in the country want to take part in the national selection for the Eurovision Song Contest.
Kállay-Saunders is set to return for the third time to this Contest! This very popular singer has entered the first two editions of A Dal as well, first with the ballad “I Love You”, and last year with “My Baby”, which ended up winning the jury voting. “My Baby” is still in the Hungarian charts, eights months after A Dal has ended, and is played on all the radio stations! His newest single “Play My Song” is also high on the charts. He’s hoping third time entry will be the lucky one for him, and that it will get him the Eurovision ticket.

Gino has been on the Hungarian music scene for 16 years! He started his career in a boy-band in 1997, but soon after that together with another member of the boy-band, they created the first duo in Hungary that performed RnB. He has worked with many famous singers and bands in Hungary, and composed number one hits for several artists over the years. Gino is entering a song for A Dal for the very first time, and he seems set to represent Hungary in Eurovision next year.

Dénes Pál was the winner of the first season of The Voice in Hungary (with over 90% of the votes) which ended only a couple of weeks before A Dal Final. Dénes took part in A Dal with “Szíveddel láss” in a duet with Szilvi Agárdi. This duet reached the final, but didn’t qualify for the public voting round. Dénes’ single “A széltől is óvsz” became a huge hit in Hungary, and Dénes is busy touring the country. He is set to enter A Dal in 2014, only this time as a soloist, and he hopes to represent Hungary in next year’s Eurovision.

Laura Cserpes was placed only 33rd in last year’s ranking of the submitted songs in A Dal, when 30 made it to the live shows. Due to the fact that three songs didn’t meet the criteria, her song qualified for the show. Laura then managed to impress both the juries and the public with her voice and her song, and she was one of the eight finalists! She is set to return to the Contest in 2014 again, and hopes to be the one who will get the ticket to Copenhagen. Laura became famous after taking part in the fourth edition of Megasztár (Pop Idol).

Honeybeast are sending their song for A Dal for the very first time. Even though they exist as a band since 2005, their first album came out in 2009, and it was a double album in both Hungarian and English. The band went through some member-changes last year, and the “new team” is ready for Eurovision! They say their songs are an “emotional extremity with a single guitar string or ukulele, with subtle irony, sarcasm and deep human drama in the lyrics”. They are really something different and refreshing.

Gergő Baricz is another artist who wants to return to A Dal for the second time. He started his career playing in various rock bands, but Gergő shot to fame only after taking part in the second season of X Faktor, when he finished third. He entered A Dal in 2013 with the song “Húz”, which he composed himself, and also wrote the lyrics of the song. He is still interested in representing his country in the Eurovision Song Contest, and hopes that 2014 is going to be his year!

Lola took part in the Hungarian national selection twice, at the start of her career. Since she started singing in 2005, she won many awards in Hungary for her music, as well as the title “Singer of the year” in 2008 and 2009. She worked with many famous composers and singers, Lately she has given voice to Merida, the lead character in Disney’s movie “Brave”, and successfully launched her own collection of clothes. She is now ready to enter A Dal in 2014, and wishes to be the one to represent Hungary in Denmark.

Bogi‘s career started in 2011, when she took part in a Europop Festival, and finished second in a competition of 40 artists from nine different countries. She took part in A Dal for the first time last year with her retro entry “Tükörkép”, but unfortunately failed to reach the final. Never the less, her entry gained lots of radio plays, and many performances and concerts in the country. Her sweet voice reminded many Eurovision fans of the Serbian Eurovision entrant in 2011 – Nina. Bogi is now finishing her song for this year’s edition of A Dal, and hopes to be the one to win it.

Apart from these artists, there are still lots of those who are yet unsure if they will enter – either if they find the right song by the deadline which is next Sunday, or if they manage to finish their songs on time to send them in to MTV. Some of these names include Gabi Tóth, Linda Király, Viktor Király, Gina Kiss, Gigi Radics, Tibor Gyurcsík and lots of others.

The deadline to enter a song for A Dal is on the 1st of December.
escxtra.com

Terence

Hungary is one of the most versatile countries when it comes to Eurovision, and this year it all paid off!! (In only dislike the generic 2008 and 2009 entries) Looking forward for their 2014 outputs, just stick to Hungarian please!!

A-lister

Veteran
Hungary is one of the most versatile countries when it comes to Eurovision, and this year it all paid off!! (In only dislike the generic 2008 and 2009 entries) Looking forward for their 2014 outputs, just stick to Hungarian please!!

It's true that they've been versatile, but sort of hit or miss. Since their comeback in 2005, I only liked 3/7 entries (2005, 2011, 2013). I must admit that the latter two grew on me, while 2005 was an instant hit for me and remains my favorite Hungarian entry to date.

2007, 2008 and 2012 were all dreadful imo, 2009 worked in the right mood (although being a rather generic campy dance track).

I really hope they stick to Hungarian aswell and the fact that they managed to end up so high last year with a slightly indie/hipster song and still keeping it in native language is quite telling, if that works then most could work. Seeing the names on the list is not really telling me much, I'm afraid Kállay-Saunders could be a contender for the win and I haven't really liked what I've heard of him so far and it was a relief seeing him not win last year.

Terence

For me:

2005 - superb, loved it instantly, authentic
2007 - took ages to grow on me... I only started to like it when I saw the final performance. Still didn't think much back then but it was contemporary
2008 - traditional ballad, non-event, to make it worse she sung the English version
2009 - I would've liked that one back in 2001... too camp and the performance was dreadful
2011 - superb. Loved it. Kinda let down by the performance but it still deserved top 5!
2012 - I always liked this but never went crazy over it. Very enjoyable, and probably in place in today's charts
2013 - my first reaction was WTF but I warmed up to it eventually. Deserved its top 10 placement.

As for their 90s hits, 1994 is good but kinda overrated, 1995 was decent but very forgettable, 1997 was probably contemporary back then - decent track too.

A-lister

Veteran
^
Finally someone not really feeling the 2007 entry either, I can't stand it tbh.

Top Bottom