Contact us

How many finalists should 2022 have?

EDC0708

In most recent years, we have had 26 finalists, traditionally the big 5 and host country joined by 20 semi final qualifiers. With this years host being a big 5 nation, should the number of finalists be reduced to 25 as a result, meaning an additional country will miss out, or should another system be put in place to fill the vacant 26th final slot?
My suggestion would be to give that slot to Switzerland, as the highest scoring non-big 5 country in 2021.

Other options could include:
- Give a wildcard to The Netherlands, as the most recent non big 5 winner
- Give a wildcard to a country at random, as part of the semi final draw
- Give a wildcard to the winning country from JESC 2021
- Announce an additional wildcard at the end of Thursday's semi final, perhaps to the country with the highest televote score from both semis to have not qualified, this could add additional excitement to that result, particularly for fans of songs eliminated on Tuesday, that they have a second shot at making it through.
- Increase the semi final qualifiers to 11 for each semi, and go up to 27 to match the 2015 contest.

What format would you go with for 2022?

ag89

I am not for wildcards in general. The only option I see is to have a host nation as a direct finalist and two semis with 12 finalists from each : 12+12+1 =25. But I do not expect EBU will get rid off BIG 5 anytime.

CPV4931

25 finalists for me, it´s only one country less than in other years and the other solutions all would make it more complicated

We have recently complained that the "host countries" (those lucky enough to triumph at the ESC) have fallen short of expectations. Are we sure that being directly in the final is something good?

We also remember that being among the "Big" is not always positive. The "Big" have one less evening to perform (and consequently conquer the public), they are victims of resentment by the semi-finalists who had to struggle to qualify and, being right in the final (without stimuli), often appear lazily with weak songs. If a "Big" comes up with a weak song, with one less night to perform and no votes in favor what is the result? 2 + 2 = 4. They will finish in the last positions (UK, Germany, Spain and the Netherlands docent).

A 25-nation final will make the semi-finalist nations work harder to qualify. The final will consequently be more exciting. Are we sure we necessarily have to complain?

Do we necessarily want the 26th nation in the race? Ok! Let's start the "repechage": the "best eliminated" (the one who received the most points between the public and the jury) will pass to the final. Simple, isn't it?

Ezio

Veteran
I am excited to see the first Grand Final of 25 countries since 2011.

In my opinion, they could axe the 10th qualifiers of each semi. and make a Final of 23 (24 in most cases)

esc87fan

It worked in 2011 when Germany hosted, so 25 finalists in 2022 should be no problem for the Italian organizers. However, if they wanted 26 finalists to even out the numbers for semifinal voting, the 6th spot should be given to the highest placing non-Big 5 country in the final, in which case it would be Switzerland because it finished 3rd this year

EscUKFan

No reason for there to not be 25. The only thing that’ll annoy me is that one side of the scoreboard will have thirteen countries whilst the other twelve :LOL:

ESCConor

I think stick to 25 for next year.

But Im personally up for a discussion about this in the future.

tomos2019

No offence but, disappointing opinions! :ROFLMAO:

I'm afraid I'm inclined to think it's actually unfairer to just miss out on a qualifier for pedantic reasons imo. I think that they should just arrange the semifinals so that one has more, therefore 11 qualify. If the intention really is for Eurovision to just grow and grow, which it does seem to be, then you want at least 26 as standard since 2012! It would be a bit depressing to have both the not-so-good 21st century type of songs, AND one of my likely doomed favourites miss out for some harsh reason, I mean it's already a bit boring having (likely) less participants almost like 2013/14 so you might as well take the opportunity to give countries a higher chance of qualifying!

Ezio

Veteran
We only have 26 countries in the Final since 2012, because Italy returned in 2011, when a Big 5 hosted. Before that it was 20 qualifiers + winner + Big 4. I don't see any requirement for interesting opinions.

Zeus

10 from each semi + the host country + the highest ranked big 5 country from the year before.

In that way we can get rid of these horrible UK entries a bit earlier.

And 26 is too long for me. Let's face it, most of the times only 2-5 songs are worth listening to.

hijirio

Veteran
Just like how Australia automatically participated in the final in 2015 without going through the semis, let Kazakhstan debut in 2022 with a guaranteed spot in the final. Case closed xqueenbitch

mauve

Veteran
I am fine with 25 as well, but ... could imagine 26 again. The better 11th place from the semis can reach the GF. xqueenbitch

NikolaiMoller

Veteran

10 from each semi + the host country + the highest ranked big 5 country from the year before.

In that way we can get rid of these horrible UK entries a bit earlier.

And 26 is too long for me. Let's face it, most of the times only 2-5 songs are worth listening to.

Why are you here then :oops:

Top Bottom