Contact us

How many countries will join?

Loindici

Veteran
Let's predict how many countries will join 2023 edition since some broadcasters got some drama with EBU and Ukraine won the contest.

rasmuslights

Veteran
honestly I like the number

all the countries that withdrew were basically one of the weaker ones, so idc that much.

bulgaria was ofc amazing but with the changes in delegation, they wouldn't have delivered anything good anyway.

Ezio

Veteran
Now let‘s start predicting the number of participants for 2024:

my first shot is 35, with Moldova and Belgium withdrawing

A-lister

Veteran
I know for sure SVT wouldn't sue or fine a contestant for improvising on stage or agreeing to talk to journalists without asking for permission. Sounds very North Korea to me and I find it crazy anybody thinks such a simple thing as being punished for improvisation in a creative contest is ok in any way. If you're curious as to how this subject came about, it was Mainshow who was bored and wanted to trash Maruv out of nowhere

Lol SVT allowing improvising and "creativity"? SVT is one of the most rigid broadcasters when it comes to Eurovision, we're very rarely changing even single hand movements from MF to ESC, the shows are almost identical. Color themes, styling, choreography etc. in most cases remain the same.

Also, EBU itself don't allow much improvisions either, what you present in the package to them should pretty much remain that way and you can see how they react when there have been for instance political statements.

Mainshow

Veteran
EBU should try to get either Montenegro or North Macedonia "back" (maybe Montenegro since they already found their entrant?) or finally invite that country which has been wanting to join the contest for 12 years now to bring the number to 38.

Even though 37 is not a small amount - I prefer "even" semi finals (especially since it would be quite easy for the EBU to achieve that this year)... It´s not like they have to beg homophobic broadcasters of conservative to semi-fascist regimes to finally be more tolerant to get an adidtional country on board.

Bobjan FR

Well done EBU, nice job #not

Withdrawn :bg: :mk: :me: :(

No debuts :xk::kz:

No returns :ad::mc:
:ba::hu::sk::tr:

.... Except for kazakhstan still not able to take part, why it should be the fault of EBU for all theses countries not taking part ?

Mainshow

Veteran
.... Except for kazakhstan still not able to take part, why it should be the fault of EBU for all theses countries not taking part ?
Kazakhstan isn't "allowed" to take part and North Macedonia as well as Montenegro officially said that the costs of staying in Liverpool as well as the raising participationg fees are the main reasons for not taking part next year.

Of course, fans can't blame the EBU for everything but they could have let Kazakhstan in and downsized a little to make it more affordable for smaller countries (reducing the participating fees by increasing the overall number of participants).

The EBU could have taken costs at staying in the host country into account when they chose to let UK host it. Clearly, the energy crisis has already been foreshadowed/noticed... maybe North Macedonia/Montenegro would have taken part if Eurovision had taken place in Poland or Spain.

All in all, it's more like some "secondary actions" by the EBU can be seen as part of the issue.

This doesn't apply for the "non-returning countries" (whose broadcasters are either utterly homophobic or not interesting in re-joining the EBU or taking part at all).

Last edited:

12Pointsgoto.....

Kazakhstan isn't "allowed" to take part and North Macedonia as well as Montenegro officially said that the costs of staying in Liverpool as well as the raising participationg fees are the main reasons for not taking part next year.

Of course, fans can't blame the EBU for everything but they could have let Kazakhstan in and downsized a little to make it more affordable for smaller countries (reducing the participating fees by increasing the overall number of participants).

The EBU could have taken costs at staying in the host country into account when they chose to let UK host it. Clearly, the energy crisis has already been foreshadowed/noticed... maybe North Macedonia/Montenegro would have taken part if Eurovision had taken place in Poland or Spain.

All in all, it's more like some "secondary actions" by the EBU can be seen as part of the issue.

This doesn't apply for the "non-returning countries" (whose broadcasters are either utterly homophobic or not interesting in re-joining the EBU or taking part at all).
I feel like the fee of participating should at least be partially covered by the host nation this year. If the price it takes just to send participants there is so high that countries are withdrawing because of it, then this is a problem that needs to be fixed.

Especially for countries like north Macedonia, who have always tried to take part every year and have never withdrawn themselves. They also are imo one of the most unlucky countries in esc. Every single year they are in the more difficult semi, they have come 11th in the semis way too many times and they have been screwed over by the stupid last qualifier is jury only thing they had in the late 2000s. Yet they always kept on participating, but now they have to withdraw because it is simply too expensive to send people there. And the EBU is doing nothing about it.

Also there is absolutely no logical reason to not let Kazakhstan join. Over the years, the EBU has invited many countries with questionable politics in and they have also let countries participate that aren't EBU members and countries that aren't in europe at all. Kazakhstan is more european than israel for instance. Their dedication to junior eurovision should show that Kazakhstan would be a great member for the adult contest.

FilipFromSweden

I agree. It doesn't matter where you host it (more or less), the hotel prices will increase 2x-5x for Eurovision. That's basic supply & demand capitalist economy. I think the host nation should provide accomodation (perhaps rent a nearby arena or venue and just build tiny rooms in it) or the EBU should let delegations know a week in advance where Eurovision will be so that they can book it before the fans and the increase in price. Don't blame this on Liverpool!

A-lister

Veteran
I agree. It doesn't matter where you host it (more or less), the hotel prices will increase 2x-5x for Eurovision. That's basic supply & demand capitalist economy. I think the host nation should provide accomodation (perhaps rent a nearby arena or venue and just build tiny rooms in it) or the EBU should let delegations know a week in advance where Eurovision will be so that they can book it before the fans and the increase in price. Don't blame this on Liverpool!

Yeah, you're onto something here. It's obviously not the host city or the country's responsibility to host people for free, however EBU could do a "Olympics" and simply host the delegations at least in a sorta Eurovision village style and perhaps have some sort of deal with the host city regarding it.

DanielLuis

Yeah, you're onto something here. It's obviously not the host city or the country's responsibility to host people for free, however EBU could do a "Olympics" and simply host the delegations at least in a sorta Eurovision village style and perhaps have some sort of deal with the host city regarding it.
They do. The host city must provide reserved accomodation for the delegations

Mainshow

Veteran
I´ve attended Eurovision live for 5 years in a row and I have never seen such outrageously high charges for accommodation.

Attending Eurovision has become an event for the rich anyway (just think of how much the "fan packages"/tickets increased in less than 10 years. It´s over) but when broadcasters state that one of the main reasons they withdrew was because of the "high costs to stay in Liverpool", something has to change.

A-lister

Veteran
They do. The host city must provide reserved accomodation for the delegations

Well that's kinda bare minimum no? It still costs and if the prices are on market price levels then to some extent I can get why it's costly for a delegation of about 10 people from a poor country if the broadcasters aren't willing to pay for it.

Realest

Unfortunately no Dexit like in JESC. 36 would be better.

njdevils94

Veteran
Without a few invites in the coming months I'm not convinced we will have 37 countries taking part in May.

Brandt

I found it really forced how they treated 2014 with two semis with such number. I think two semis to eliminate 5 and 6 songs is just not working well. We should have 1 semi final to be jonest

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Complaints over the prices is one of the main reasons I imagine London isn't hosting it. Prices are already extortionate there without the increase from hosting Eurovision. I'm not super clued up on how the public transport and such runs in Liverpool and around, but one of the best perks with Liverpool being the choice is alternative locations for accomodation. Manchester for one, Chester also. All are super close to Liverpool and not facing the same level of price inflation. Bit like how when Vienna hosted, Bratislava was an alternative place for accomodation.

Top Bottom