Contact us

How do you rank all the entries ?

popavapeur

While replying in an other post, I just realized we all have different ways to rank songs. Some do it with their guts, some are comparing them, one vs one and so on.

So the question is : how do you rank all the entries to make a top ?

copy/paste what I wrote in an other post that made me create this one

I always do two rankings :

1) What I thought the very first time.
2) What I think after having all the entries, comparing them, listening to them multiple times. (and it's the one I share here with you all in the ranking game etc)

Every single year my first ranking is always closer in its results to the real final.

For sure there are Growers/Faders : in the last 6 months I listened to Fuego multiple times and only one listen for Toy.
But I still remember the first time I heard Toy and it made an impact and I think that's why it won.

I also make a new ranking based on the 2) once we can see the performances, like who enhanced the song and who did not and I'm basing my votes during the grand final on that, so sometimes I'm surprising myself giving votes to my 3rd or 7th for example and not my 1st or 2nd cause I felt the staging was not up to par. It's very rare though but I happened one or two times. Or giving votes to somebody outside my top 10 just because they gave a good show (Moldova 2018 is an example)

tomos2019

I do think it should be about the song as much as possible but I could change my rankings more and from time to time I do wonder why I initially had something at a certain position etc!

EscGeek

Veteran
I just listen. A LOT. xmusic

If i find the time i listen to all of them in two hours. If i don't then i make a "top group" and a "bottom group" (there can be more than two groups) and go through one of them. (Usually it's the top group that gets picked first, but i also i don't neglect the bottom group (or the middle). Repeat until infinity. :lol:
My system allows the front runners to compete directly against each other, & those who are a bit behind are also in their own league.

Once infinity May comes, i try to suck in as much info as possible, and i make my FINAL FINAL ranking on friday, the day before the grand final since all of the performances are known.

Ezio

Veteran
I don't listen to all the songs a lot, and I use gerbear's sorting tool and decide the match-ups based on my interest to listen to the song again.

Tuna

There's my theory that I would rate entries by criteria (each on /5) :
- ears : music (l like to listen or not)
- eyes : music video
- eyes2 : live staging
- mouth : message conveyed
That gives total /20

It's pretty difficult. So i first make a draft table and then I adjust it many times... to finish with gerbear's tool

midnightsun

Veteran
A very good question because in fact my ranking (I still have to do the update with the latest songs) is not only what my favourite song is but also what I think deserves the rank because it’s especially interesting, sophisticated, extraordinary etc.

So my ranks are: Like-Factor (do I like the music/melody) plus/or Wow-Factor (does the song has anything special like an artsy performance, outstandingly good voice, is it funny in a smart way, didn’t we ever have anything like that etc.)

This means that a song like Serbia, for example, is pretty high in my ranking because I really like the performance, the message, the beat and the minimalistic artsy sound but it‘s not in my Spotify playlist and I don’t listen to it as often as I do to other songs which melodies I like better.
I would also call for a song like that although it‘s outside my top 10 because I support it.

HayashiM

Veteran
I prefer a longer term approach, Gerbear is way too strict on the "oh, I usually like song A more than B, but also B > C, and yet today I feel like C > A" situations. So I do these:

1. March/April - "Swiss" tournament, 10 rounds. 1st round - all entries get compared to a random other entry and winners get 1 point, 2nd round - winners play winners, losers play losers, further rounds - entries get allocated an opponent from the pool of other entries with same amount of points (or the closest one possible). Two entries that had already played each other can't be allocated to do so again. After 10 rounds, I establish the rankings based on points earned and then other criteria for entries that have the same amount of points. I usually only listen to the songs but don't watch music videos for this tournament.

2. April/May - "McMahon" tournament, 8-10 rounds. The algorithm is the same as with the Swiss tournament, however entries already get some additional starting points based on their performance in the Swiss tournament - this allows me to have more meaningful comparisons faster. For this tournament, I also watch music videos / live performances.

3. A quick knockout bracket with entries seeded based on their previous rankings - I use the actual ESC performances for these comparisons.

4. The final ranking is the average of the 3 previous rankings.

(If you think I must be somewhere on the spectrum when seeing this, I guess you aren't wrong, though I haven't gone to get tested yet. But hey, at least I have some good eurovision fun! :D)

By December, I realise my most played song of the year is Italy anyways (happened every year between 2018 - 2021, even though Soldi and Zitti e Buoni didn't make it to my top 10 based on the above).

Top Bottom