Contact us

How do you feel?

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Shocked I've just turned 30, but it's also a new chapter. I can close the crummy old one cause my twenties were atrocious. Having to put up with huge self confidence issues (not liking myself), depression and social anxiety hasn't been fun but I pretty much kicked the first of the three in the butt (at least I'm ok with me today) and am working on the latter two. I'm realising that being more open helps a lot.

My brother bought me a cute little stuffed Tom Nook from Animal Crossing toy for my bday, but I'm terrible to buy for generally. I mostly got chocolate, money and vouchers which is great cause I want to get myself an electro-acoustic guitar. I've had my heart set on a particular Washburn model and I can put the money towards it. For the first time in years I feel like I want/need to get back into playing music.

I was kind of wistful on my birthday itself though as I was supposed to see my grandma for the first time properly in months, but my mum got some concerning news a few days back. She was having trouble with breathing and spoke to doctors over the phone. They told her that she was showing all the symptoms of Coronavirus. This has been sort of ongoing and thankfully she seems on the mend, but it means we obviously couldn't afford to have my 94 year old nan round for dinner. I wasn't looking forward to my birthday but I was looking forward to seeing my nan. Now my Nan's in hospital. On September the 3rd she was in agony with stomach pain. Her neighbours called for help and an ambulance came to her house. The doctors haven't found out yet what's wrong. Today they'll do scans and she'll likely be kept in another night. She said she's feeling a bit better today but gosh, I'm so filled with worry. I love my nan so much. This year, these last few months have just been so unbearable. Everyone is struggling through the same situations together, but I was struggling hard before this and so it's all just extra whoopings I'm receiving with some added bad luck on top too for good measure. I hope better days come soon for everyone.

Last edited:

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
@RainyWoods Happy Birthday!!!!! 🥓 🎊 🍰 🍛 xcheer xbow I can't believe I missed it, for shame to me.

Enjoy this hot new recpie on how took burnt salt and peppered chicken. 🔥

The 30s will be your time to shine truly Rainy and you'll deserve it 100%. Keep positive, growing as a person and look up at what is to come in the future. Good things. 🙏

I'm sorry for what your Nan is going through but i'm sure she will pull through it, you all just need to be strong and be there for her. Let her know she is loved and that you all there. Nanna Rainy will be runnning about in no time.

Ausesken

@anaraqueen I sometimes think I am a bit hypochondriac, so I kind of understand what you must be feeling. You appreciate your life and you fear losing it, it's understandable, but maybe a psychologist could help you with that?

@RainyWoods I don't know when your birthday was, but anyway, Happy Birthday!! xbirthday Welcome to the fabulous 30s team! :lol: New decade, new life, even if coronavirus tries to boycott it. I hope your grandma gets better.

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
@anaraqueen I sometimes think I am a bit hypochondriac, so I kind of understand what you must be feeling. You appreciate your life and you fear losing it, it's understandable, but maybe a psychologist could help you with that?
I actually do therapy and I was coping with it quite well until this week. I haven't yet had the opportunity to go to another session since those thoughts became strong again. Hopefully, next week I'll be able to go.

Thanks for worrying, by the way.

ESC94

Exactly one year ago I registered here in this forum. During that time I already made more than 1500 posts, a number I can´t really believe. :eek:

I can say that I really enjoy being a member of this great community and I´m already looking forward to many more interesting discussions with you. :)

mauve

Veteran
Shocked I've just turned 30, but it's also a new chapter. I can close the crummy old one cause my twenties were atrocious. Having to put up with huge self confidence issues (not liking myself), depression and social anxiety hasn't been fun but I pretty much kicked the first of the three in the butt (at least I'm ok with me today) and am working on the latter two. I'm realising that being more open helps a lot.

My brother bought me a cute little stuffed Tom Nook from Animal Crossing toy for my bday, but I'm terrible to buy for generally. I mostly got chocolate, money and vouchers which is great cause I want to get myself an electro-acoustic guitar. I've had my heart set on a particular Washburn model and I can put the money towards it. For the first time in years I feel like I want/need to get back into playing music.

I was kind of wistful on my birthday itself though as I was supposed to see my grandma for the first time properly in months, but my mum got some concerning news a few days back. She was having trouble with breathing and spoke to doctors over the phone. They told her that she was showing all the symptoms of Coronavirus. This has been sort of ongoing and thankfully she seems on the mend, but it means we obviously couldn't afford to have my 94 year old nan round for dinner. I wasn't looking forward to my birthday but I was looking forward to seeing my nan. Now my Nan's in hospital. On September the 3rd she was in agony with stomach pain. Her neighbours called for help and an ambulance came to her house. The doctors haven't found out yet what's wrong. Today they'll do scans and she'll likely be kept in another night. She said she's feeling a bit better today but gosh, I'm so filled with worry. I love my nan so much. This year, these last few months have just been so unbearable. Everyone is struggling through the same situations together, but I was struggling hard before this and so it's all just extra whoopings I'm receiving with some added bad luck on top too for good measure. I hope better days come soon for everyone.

I missed your birthday as well. So ... a very happy belated birthday!!! Wait until you become my (dinosaur-)age. And another thing we have in common ... I actually play an electro acoustic guitar since I am 13. It is not Washburn, but a Yamaha. And when I am stressed, it's super relaxing to play. I am not good at it, I admit, but nevertheless my guitar has been my companion since then. :)xlove

mauve

Veteran
Exactly one year ago I registered here in this forum. During that time I already made more than 1500 posts, a number I can´t really believe. :eek:

I can say that I really enjoy being a member of this great community and I´m already looking forward to many more interesting discussions with you. :)
And you know that you are a great friend as well. xkiss

fer20

Oh I should have updated here, shouldn't I?

My blood test results are out and I'm healthy xheat anxiety is controlled for now

:)
Keep in mind, having a thyroid nodule, a goiter or obstructive symptoms don't mean the person has thyroid cancer. See examples of people with thyroid issues.

As I said to the newly 30 xcheers @RainyWoods, (here and here) body systems interact with each other.
Brain health is connected with thyroid health (thyroid is involved in almost everything. Brain function. Glucose and lipid metabolism. Circadian rhythm. Reproductive system. Body temperature. Heart rate. Bone health. Eye health).
Diabetes type 2, which is not autoimmune, can be associated with depression and certain autoimmune diseases.
Diabetes type 2 can be associated with thyroid dysfunctions. Thyroid dysfunctions can be associated with polycystic ovary syndrome, that can be associated with diabetes type 2 and anxiety/depression. Anxiety/depression can be associated with thyroid dysfunctions. Basically, they are linked by mechanisms involving cortisol (the stress hormone), inflammatory response, sex hormones and insulin resistance.
and other chronic diseases, besides medication, a key step is self-care/lifestyle change, managing stress and inflammation

Complement your treatments. Take care of your gut to take care of your brain and your thyroid.
@luciano and @gabrieldecarvalho_professor talk a lot about gut, stress, anxiety, inflammation and thyroid
Luciano is xcookiePugliesi's functional dietitian and both have Hashimoto's

Thyroid-Gut-Axis: How Does the Microbiota Influence Thyroid Function?

Anxiety, Depression, and the Microbiome: A Role for Gut Peptides

The Role of Microbiome in Insomnia, Circadian Disturbance and Depression

Potential Role for the Gut Microbiota in Modulating Host Circadian Rhythms and Metabolic Health

Effects of Psychological, Environmental and Physical Stressors on the Gut Microbiota

Inflammation in Fear- and Anxiety-Based Disorders: PTSD, GAD, and Beyond

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
:)
Keep in mind, having a thyroid nodule, a goiter or obstructive symptoms don't mean the person has thyroid cancer. See examples of people with thyroid issues.

As I said to the newly 30 xcheers @RainyWoods, (here and here) body systems interact with each other.
Brain health is connected with thyroid health (thyroid is involved in almost everything. Brain function. Glucose and lipid metabolism. Circadian rhythm. Reproductive system. Body temperature. Heart rate. Bone health. Eye health).

Diabetes type 2 can be associated with thyroid dysfunctions. Thyroid dysfunctions can be associated with polycystic ovary syndrome, that can be associated with diabetes type 2 and anxiety/depression. Anxiety/depression can be associated with thyroid dysfunctions. Basically, they are linked by mechanisms involving cortisol (the stress hormone), inflammatory response, sex hormones and insulin resistance.

Complement your treatments. Take care of your gut to take care of your brain and your thyroid.
@luciano and @gabrieldecarvalho_professor talk a lot about gut, stress, anxiety, inflammation and thyroid
Luciano is xcookiePugliesi's functional dietitian and both have Hashimoto's

Anxiety, Depression, and the Microbiome: A Role for Gut Peptides

The Role of Microbiome in Insomnia, Circadian Disturbance and Depression

Potential Role for the Gut Microbiota in Modulating Host Circadian Rhythms and Metabolic Health

Effects of Psychological, Environmental and Physical Stressors on the Gut Microbiota

Inflammation in Fear- and Anxiety-Based Disorders: PTSD, GAD, and Beyond
I'm aware sis (btw I might be doing ultrasound scan this week but since i'm not feeling anything and hormones are normal, it's not gonna have any results). my anxiety just makes this tiny bit possibility sound real and obviously happening. thanks for the links though!

(also ugh pugliesi)

fer20

(also ugh pugliesi)
Ignore her stupidity :ROFLMAO:, the thing is, Pugliesi has a chronic disease that gradually destroys the thyroid and leads to hypothyroidism. Medication to treat hypothyroidism replaces the hormones, but doesn't stop the tissue damage. The more thyroid is destroyed, the higher the dose of medication. The way to slow down/control the tissue damage is avoiding the stressors and managing inflammation, what Pugliesi does. Lifestyle is important.

Controversy: most endocrinologists don't check some markers of thyroid health that functional dietitians consider to be helpful to control inflammation

Last edited:

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
Ignore her stupidity :ROFLMAO:, the thing is, Pugliesi has a chronic disease that gradually destroys the thyroid and leads to hypothyroidism. Medication to treat hypothyroidism replaces the hormones, but doesn't stop the tissue damage. The more thyroid is destroyed, the higher the dose of medication. The way to slow down/control the tissue damage is avoiding the stressors and managing inflammation, what Pugliesi does. Lifestyle is important.

Controversy: most endocrinologists don't check some markers of thyroid health that functional dietitians consider to be helpful to control inflammation
well my lifestyle is... not the best for sure :lol:

slightly panics

Ausesken

I have hypothyroidism, they said "due to lack of iodine", so I basically thought I had to eat more food containing iodine. I guess that's not enough, then.

fer20

I have hypothyroidism, they said "due to lack of iodine", so I basically thought I had to eat more food containing iodine. I guess that's not enough, then.

Well, iodine is the main nutrient for thyroid health (component of T4 and T3), but it's not the only one. And things are not so simple, examples:
- lack or excess of iodine can lead to hypothyroidism
- low conversion of T4 into T3 (heavy metal toxicity; BPA; pesticides, any type of prolonged stress)
- the nutrients are not being properly absorbed

Zhao et al. and Ishaq et al. investigated the microbial composition in euthyroid and hypothyroid HT patients and found a dysbiosis as well as a bacterial overgrowth in the hypothyroid patient group [22,23]. Lauritano et al. assigned the bacterial overgrowth in connection with hypothyroidism mainly to the small intestine [24].
High iodine intake additionally can either induce hypothyroidism in susceptible patients, such as those with autoimmune thyroid disease, antithyroid drug therapy, or patients with higher intake of goitrogens, but it can also cause hyperthyroidism in patients at risk, e.g., with diffuse nodular goiter or latent Grave´s disease [66].
Iron deficiency is a common finding in hypothyroidism and is diagnosed in up to 60% of these patients [75]
Zinc deficiency affects the thyroid gland on multiple levels: zinc deficiency impairs TRH synthesis, but also TSH, T3, and T4. Beyond that, it influences T3 binding to nuclear receptors and binding of this receptor to DNA. Possible mechanisms for zinc deficiency include impaired gastrointestinal absorption [90,91,92,93,94]. In humans with zinc deficiency, TSH, T3, and T4 decrease as well and hypothyroid patients often present with reduced levels of zinc and copper. Arora et al. found a significant and positive correlation of zinc and T3, but not with TSH or T4 in their case-control study of trace elements in hypothyroidism patients [86,96]. The relationship between zinc and thyroid disorders seems to be reciprocal, considering that hypothyroidism leads to zinc deficiency and insufficient supplementation with zinc causes hypothyroidism [4,86].
In thyroid disorders, selenium deficiency is a common finding, including decreased hormone and enzyme activity and reduced peripheral T3 synthesis. In patients with autoimmune thyroid diseases, selenium supplementation may reduce levels of antithyroid antibodies, improve thyroid structure, improve thyroid metabolism, and improve clinical symptoms [97,101].
Human studies concluded that hypothyroid patients often present with lower levels of vitamin D or vitamin D deficiency than healthy controls. Inverse correlations between 25(OH)D concentrations and TPOAb, TgAb titers, and TSH in hypothyroidism seem to exist as well as a positive relationship of 25(OH)D with T3 levels [76,105,106,107]. Not all studies did observe lower levels of 25(OH)D in patients with hypothyroidism [108]. Low concentrations of vitamin D in hypothyroidism could also represent a consequence of disease, rather than part of its cause [76]. However, taking into account the existing studies, as

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
I'm stressed again as my three pussycats are unwell. One fell ill about a week ago with an eye infection. He was coughing and sneezing, and just looked dreadful. Another one of my cats a few days later came in the house with blood all over him, was choking, shaking uncontrollably and could barely breathe. He'd been attacked by another animal. The vets failed to notice though that he also was developing the same symptoms as the first cat. Today his eye has gone all watery and he's still shivering. Now cat number three, the legendary Valentino aka Weenie is struggling to breathe, can hardly open his eyes and keeps having these choking fits where it looks like he wants to be sick but nothing but flem leaves his mouth. Two visits to the vet have already cost me close to £400.00 and now two of my cats will need to get their eyes checked out. Add on top of all this for comedic effect the fact I have ommetaphobia. I've been sleeping downstairs on a futon for the past few weeks and I've let the cats sleep with me. I'm exhausted. It's wheezing and spluttering sounds every ten or so seconds, and I have to keep waking up to put kitchen roll under their mouths when they make their "I'm about to be sick on your best cushions" sound.

source.gif

Keep coming at me 2020! Thankfully my grandma is feeling better now at least. Turned out to be gallstones.

Uto

Veteran
Take care Rainy. Just keep hanging on. I can relate to this. When my cat had epileptic seizures he would piss on my bed etc. I slept on multiple layers of towels etc, but the cat would be with me because you will just not relent, you have to be there for them. He passed away a month later, he had a massive seizure and didn't recognize me anymore and I had him go for his eternal rest. First star I saw when I went outside was Sirius. That will always be him. Let's hope your little meowsters get through this stuff.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Take care Rainy. Just keep hanging on. I can relate to this. When my cat had epileptic seizures he would piss on my bed etc. I slept on multiple layers of towels etc, but the cat would be with me because you will just not relent, you have to be there for them. He passed away a month later, he had a massive seizure and didn't recognize me anymore and I had him go for his eternal rest. First star I saw when I went outside was Sirius. That will always be him. Let's hope your little meowsters get through this stuff.

You told me this story once before Uto. You really were there for your puss. And that thing with the star, wow :cry:

Thank you Uto xheart It's the worst when your animal family aren't well. They can certainly show us they aren't feeling good but they can't communicate with us to explain what's wrong. I feel really helpless right about now but I've just gotta stay with them and keep opening my wallet if I need to. Having one of them unwell would have been enough to cause worry but all three, gosh, it's quite the not very nice experience. I feel like I want to cry but I'm all out of energy from these past few months. I'm writing this message now to the soothing sounds of Darth Vader feat. Noo Noo from the Teletubbies.

Top Bottom