(We used to be the rockstars)
(We used to be the rockstars)

Remembering gets so hard
When time is moving so fast
Wish there was a way to know that we're in
The good old days before we all just leave 'em​

Last edited by a moderator:

soulm8

Every year Eurovision voting is a mystery. One time they will give their points to bops, then you have Sobral and Kris taking all the points. Then you have Lena winning out of the blue sky, then this taking nothing.

Datura

the song is on #21 in the uk itunes charts btw, quite surprising tbh

Mainshow

Veteran
I hate it that Eurovision is sooooooooo PoLItICaL!!!!!!

We received 2 points each from 3 countries. 2 of them were our German-speaking neighbours: :ch: and :at:

Damn! I hate block voting so much!!!!!! Eurovision is ruined!

mauve

Veteran
Can someone expalin or translate please?

What Alexandra Wolfslast, Head of Delegation said:

"We couldn't be prouder of your performance. I think you always delivered. You delivered in all rehearsals. You always sang your heart out. I believe that Malik is an incredibly authentic and true artist. And that's so rare. What he did there, he is. I can only speak for myself personally: I couldn't be prouder to have walked this path with him. I really mean it. It was really great and it was also nice to see you today, how you did it, and how you once again sang your heart out. That's nice.

But you also have to say, it's just Eurovision. There were amazing posts. Everyone deserves it. Music cannot be judged by 'What's good now, what's bad now?'. Everything is justified. And basically everything is correct. The Eurovision Song Contest in particular should unite us and should show solidarity with one another, because we stand together in art. Of course you have to like one thing and you might find the other worse, but that's not so important. It is crucial that you experience this creativity together and stand up for each other.

All I can say is I think Malik put on a great performance. Of course we would have hoped for a better result. But I'm really proud that I was able to walk this path with him, and I think it's the same for our whole path, it's the same for NDR. And, I would like to say that again, he starts his tour on Monday and I am 1000% convinced that you have a mega career ahead of you. And I'm already proud that I know him, and the placement doesn't matter at all."

What Malik said:
"Obviously I'm a little disappointed. But what made me very, very happy in the end was to see Ukraine win. For me, that's what defines Eurovision in the end. That's community, that's peace, that's bringing the whole of Europe together, celebrating music together - and that's what we definitely did tonight. Then to see Ukraine win is really – I almost start crying – it carries great value for me as a part of this whole event as well.
"Obviously I'm a little disappointed. But what made me very, very happy in the end was to see Ukraine win. For me, that's what defines Eurovision in the end. That's community, that's peace, that's bringing the whole of Europe together, celebrating music together - and that's what we definitely did tonight. Then to see Ukraine win is really – I almost start crying – it carries great value for me as a part of this whole event as well.
Just before this all kicked off we were all in our backstage rooms. These are very, very small shafts that were set up there. And I remember when Ukraine was preparing and they sang their refrain. This whole backstage room sang along. That was a moment I won't soon forget. Then to see that they won and perform their song again under a big rain, no one can take that experience away from me. And accordingly I am very, very happy about this evening.”

Why do you think you got so less points?
Malik
:
"I don't really know. I'm also not very familiar with the Eurovision laws. I know that Eurovision writes its own laws, which often don't have much to do with music. But – and I underlined this from the beginning – I know that music cannot be judged as good or bad. That is music. This is art. That's a matter of taste. And accordingly one cannot say: 'This is good, this is bad. I give it so many points because it's better and I give it so many points because it's worse.'
I played a song that means a lot to me and I know has meant a lot to a lot of people and has helped them through tough times. That's all I ever wanted as a musician. That's why I'm very happy to have had this platform. I don't think you can say what caused it, because in the end there really are elements and factors that play into it that you can't calculate and that don't necessarily have any musical value. In the end it's about a lot of other things. In the end, in my opinion, the most beautiful and greatest song and the greatest contribution won.”

ESC94

What Alexandra Wolfslast, Head of Delegation said:

"We couldn't be prouder of your performance. I think you always delivered. You delivered in all rehearsals. You always sang your heart out. I believe that Malik is an incredibly authentic and true artist. And that's so rare. What he did there, he is. I can only speak for myself personally: I couldn't be prouder to have walked this path with him. I really mean it. It was really great and it was also nice to see you today, how you did it, and how you once again sang your heart out. That's nice.

But you also have to say, it's just Eurovision. There were amazing posts. Everyone deserves it. Music cannot be judged by 'What's good now, what's bad now?'. Everything is justified. And basically everything is correct. The Eurovision Song Contest in particular should unite us and should show solidarity with one another, because we stand together in art. Of course you have to like one thing and you might find the other worse, but that's not so important. It is crucial that you experience this creativity together and stand up for each other.

All I can say is I think Malik put on a great performance. Of course we would have hoped for a better result. But I'm really proud that I was able to walk this path with him, and I think it's the same for our whole path, it's the same for NDR. And, I would like to say that again, he starts his tour on Monday and I am 1000% convinced that you have a mega career ahead of you. And I'm already proud that I know him, and the placement doesn't matter at all."

What Malik said:
Just before this all kicked off we were all in our backstage rooms. These are very, very small shafts that were set up there. And I remember when Ukraine was preparing and they sang their refrain. This whole backstage room sang along. That was a moment I won't soon forget. Then to see that they won and perform their song again under a big rain, no one can take that experience away from me. And accordingly I am very, very happy about this evening.”

Why do you think you got so less points?
Malik
:
"I don't really know. I'm also not very familiar with the Eurovision laws. I know that Eurovision writes its own laws, which often don't have much to do with music. But – and I underlined this from the beginning – I know that music cannot be judged as good or bad. That is music. This is art. That's a matter of taste. And accordingly one cannot say: 'This is good, this is bad. I give it so many points because it's better and I give it so many points because it's worse.'
I played a song that means a lot to me and I know has meant a lot to a lot of people and has helped them through tough times. That's all I ever wanted as a musician. That's why I'm very happy to have had this platform. I don't think you can say what caused it, because in the end there really are elements and factors that play into it that you can't calculate and that don't necessarily have any musical value. In the end it's about a lot of other things. In the end, in my opinion, the most beautiful and greatest song and the greatest contribution won.”

In other words: "Bla bla bla, we don´t know what went wrong, we´re going to analyze it, we don´t understand it!!"

It´s the same procedure as every year. :rolleyes:

mauve

Veteran
In other words: "Bla bla bla, we don´t know what went wrong, we´re going to analyze it, we don´t understand it!!"

It´s the same procedure as every year. :rolleyes:
My quote from previous page:
What else did she say? Blablabla. GET LOST.

Slight difference: I wrote Blablabla together, you didn't. But I think we meant the same. :ROFLMAO:

Mainshow

Veteran
I just hope that they will not "over-analyze" it by coming up with another super complex (and very unnecessary) selection process involving 100 fans (who scream that Eurovision is all politics and Spain should have won because a song about "making daddies crazy" is musically superior to "Stefania"), 100 jury members consisting of former ESC participants finishing outside the Top 15, and 10 radio bosses who like generic, mediocre, inoffensive radio songs in English whose performers are preferrably either female, gay, black or - if possible - all three of these categories.

Just form a committee of different individuals liking different genres and ask them to put one artist each into our national final and let´s hope for a diverse, varied and interesting national final. full stop.

soulm8

He thinks people took his song as a bad one. Poor him. I didn’t read one comment calling this a bad song. The problem was the the lyrics were amazing and he wasn’t able to translate that at the stage. Should have made it more personal, but people would call it Schulte copy….

ag89

This outcome was known already when Germany came out with their selection and 6-7 songs they had in March. However, I have to say I enjoyed his performance last night, it was even among 10 I enjoyed the most. However, last place was no surprise. Germany doesn't have to do too much: instead of approaching Eurovision strategically they should just go for it.

midnightsun

Veteran
The question is: should we trust our own fellows?

We‘ve had Fahrenhaidt, Laing, Gregorian, Avantasia, Lily among clouds, Aly Ryan, LaBrassBanda, Baseballs, Madeline Juno, Santiano, Unheilig, Faun, Voxxclub… just to name a few.

Yet we chose Levina, Ann Sophie, Kümmert, Jamie Lee, Elaiza, Sisters… 'nuff said.

mauve

Veteran
The question is: should we trust our own fellows?

We‘ve had Fahrenhaidt, Laing, Gregorian, Avantasia, Lily among clouds, Aly Ryan, LaBrassBanda, Baseballs, Madeline Juno, Santiano, Unheilig, Faun, Voxxclub… just to name a few.

Yet we chose Levina, Ann Sophie, Kümmert, Jamie Lee, Elaiza, Sisters… 'nuff said.
THAT is the problem. Even when we have #choices, the German audience decides to vote for the wrong songs. :(

Storm

I just hope that they will not "over-analyze" it by coming up with another super complex (and very unnecessary) selection process involving 100 fans (who scream that Eurovision is all politics and Spain should have won because a song about "making daddies crazy" is musically superior to "Stefania"), 100 jury members consisting of former ESC participants finishing outside the Top 15, and 10 radio bosses who like generic, mediocre, inoffensive radio songs in English whose performers are preferrably either female, gay, black or - if possible - all three of these categories.

Just form a committee of different individuals liking different genres and ask them to put one artist each into our national final and let´s hope for a diverse, varied and interesting national final. full stop.

The problem with these varied NFs is that in the end the German audience would always go for the one pop song among all those genres. If you want to go bold, you probably need an internal selection or truly commit to a certain idea in the NF. When we can have a NF with six boring radio songs, why not have a NF with six bops next year and six rock songs the year after. 🤣

Mainshow

Veteran
The problem with these varied NFs is that in the end the German audience would always go for the one pop song among all those genres. If you want to go bold, you probably need an internal selection or truly commit to a certain idea in the NF. When we can have a NF with six boring radio songs, why not have a NF with six bops next year and six rock songs the year after. 🤣
I am not against pop songs at all, though - they just have to be perfectly-produced/contemporary and catchy - having a pop song sounding like Dua Lipa´s songs or even something like Sweden´s Schlager-ish stuff would already be bold.. because the pop songs we´ve seen in our national finals (the winning songs) were mid-tempo/slower, inoffensive and radio-friendly pop songs all the time.

I would like to see pop songs included in our NF´s but please no more "Perfect Life", "Black Smoke", "Wildfire", "Alive", "Soap", "Rockstars" "inoffennsive" compositions.

Top Bottom