5 2.8%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
Germany-scaled.jpg

Lindon

hijirio

Veteran
Mmmmmmh the scream is soooooo cringy I felt my bones vibrating.
But the last 5 seconds sound GREAT with the revamp.

It was my winner of the jury vote btw.

crashworld

Veteran
Mmmmmmh the scream is soooooo cringy I felt my bones vibrating.
But the last 5 seconds sound GREAT with the revamp.

It was my winner of the jury vote btw.

You don't say. That vocal acrobat was so unnecessary. I got goosebumps (not the good kind) on my first listen.
But yes, the ending was great. Gave the song a little extra "ooomph" and power.
However, if this was the final version, I would have knocked down the song a few notches in my jury ranking.
But still my personal no. 2 this year.

Guess, I need to take a few more listens to get used to it.
If not, I will revert back to the original version.

crashworld

Veteran
Not sure if everyone is aware of this version of the contest that the German broadcaster will be doing:

From the article, it suggests that some acts (who have been voted to the top 10 acts from the semi-final show consisting of the 40 acts minus Germany) may perform "live" in Germany. Not sure how true/accurate is that. If it's true, can we make sure Azerbaijan and Israel get a top 10 placement, so we may see them perform 'live"?

And also, Ben will get to perform his song 'live' (likely to showcase his staging). YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
I wonder if that will signal the end of the partnership with Ben and Germany will find a new artist for 2021 edition.
But I seriously hope they can take that opportunity to announce Ben as their artist for next year's contest.

Last edited:

crashworld

Veteran

Hmmm. I think they want to translate what they have on the video on stage. But I think it fell flat. The screen thing reminded me of Dami Im's "Sound of Silence" staging, but it's so awkward to have his back facing the stage for quite a substantial amount of time. The bar set reminded me of Sarah McTernan's staging. I don't really like that they have the dancers at some parts of the performance, because having Ben alone on stage takes the energy out of the song. Very disappointed with the staging. Ben sounds good, but he didn't quite get the vibe of the song right, but it has to do with the execution of the staging and the camera angles.

Last edited:

Storm

The band KLAN announced on their instagram that they took part in the process and that their song "Baby Baby" made it to the final stage and was almost picked.

Opinions?

Franzilein

The band KLAN announced on their instagram that they took part in the process and that their song "Baby Baby" made it to the final stage and was almost picked.

Opinions?

Personally I like it even better than Violent Thing. Klan talk about being favoured by one jury and I would really love to know by which one. Probably the 100 fan panel, I can't see the international jury putting a German song over Violent Thing.
Even though Baby Baby is amazing, what a groovy sound. Them piano intersections. What a waste, but it's really promising that songs like these (also in German, man the last song in our mother language is from 2007!) were in consideration.

tuorem

My review:

GERMANY 2020 - Ben Dolic ft. B-OK - Violent Thing "ok guys, I see you"

The German entry is one of those efforts that come out of nowhere. I mean after a few years, one gets used to them sending pointless stuff and once they send an actual above average song, it seems like they've sent a masterpiece all of a sudden.

Of course, the reception I gave "Violent Thing" is much much warmer than their recent past entries. They decided to give us a house-ish pop track sung by a guy with teenager vocals, I do particularly like the piano accents and the dynamism of the electric guitar riffs. Overall, I think the verses have the perfect balance of attitude and drive, I'm a bit let down by the chorus that I find easy and ordinary, even though it remains acceptable. I don''t have much else to say, it's a respectable effort, radio-friendly and all. It's not as anthemic as "Dance Alone" but Milanov knows his business, this is definitely in the top of the heap regarding the 2010's German entries. It has an atmosphere, mastered drama, and it's competitive at least.

Prediction-wise, I'm not sure how well this would have done. I didn't see Michael Schulte's success coming, so it might have given Germans another top 10. 8th to 15th place sounded plausible to me. I guess juries would have loved this at least. What concerns me is them vocals, it's nice to throw high notes and falsetto extravaganza but it has to be on point when performed live. I don't know Ben's abilities, so I couldn't say.

To sum up, I respect this package. Nonetheless, it doesn't set my world on fire, which means "Black Smoke", "Glorious", "Taken By A Stranger" and "Satellite" can rest easy. There ain't no threats to them here in my book.

I don't know whether Ben will be back or not, but at least it was a step in the right direction for the German team. Stop torturing the German eurofans and send songs worthy of interest! You have a guaranteed place in the final, use it! Hopefully, this year wasn't a one-off. Vielen danke. :)

Milos-BC

I love a vast majority of :de: entires, but this wasn't one of them :( The song itself is alright but the vocals were very offputting for me. Luckily, the 2021 song fits my taste better.

3 points.

Top Bottom