escYOUnited

Administrator
Germany-Card.png

LYRICS (Click Spoiler)

Videos:
Reaction Video

GermanBango

Re: GERMANY 2018

So another Bottom 6 result already seems set for 2016 which means it's basically the 5th failure in a row.It should be clear by now that the NDR doesn't give a shit about Eurovision. I'm gonna say again what I already said last year: "Let's just withdraw!"
It doesn't make any sense to me to send anyone anywhere if the NDR isn't able to put any passion/effort into this. This whole thing is just one never ending embarrassment/disappointment and it slowly takes away all the fun and excitement for me.
Sure, we can change the NF-format yet again but it won't help anyway.... The 2 main-problems are here to stay:

1. The NDR only gives us a bunch of bland middle-of-the-road-songs and/or artists with zero personality. Maybe there are going to be one or two interesting/promising songs in the lineup ("Frozen Silence", "Mother Earth", "Cotton Candy Hurricane", "Heart one the line", "Wechselt die Beleuchtung",...) but the German public just ignores them and goes for one of the bland ones instead.
2. The creativity of the NDR is blow sea level. The performances always end up being boring/uninspired.

Let's just face it ... EVERY Eurovision fan could probably come up with a) a better NF-concept and choice of songs/artists and b) more creative/innovative ideas for performances.

ChrisOL

So another Bottom 6 result already seems set for 2016 which means it's basically the 5th failure in a row.It should be clear by now that the NDR doesn't give a shit about Eurovision. I'm gonna say again what I already said last year: "Let's just withdraw!"
It doesn't make any sense to me to send anyone anywhere if the NDR isn't able to put any passion/effort into this. This whole thing is just one never ending embarrassment/disappointment and it slowly takes away all the fun and excitement for me.
Sure, we can change the NF-format yet again but it won't help anyway.... The 2 main-problems are here to stay:

1. The NDR only gives us a bunch of bland middle-of-the-road-songs and/or artists with zero personality. Maybe there are going to be one or two interesting/promising songs in the lineup ("Frozen Silence", "Mother Earth", "Cotton Candy Hurricane", "Heart one the line", "Wechselt die Beleuchtung",...) but the German public just ignores them and goes for one of the bland ones instead.
2. The creativity of the NDR is blow sea level. The performances always end up being boring/uninspired.

Let's just face it ... EVERY Eurovision fan could probably come up with a) a better NF-concept and choice of songs/artists and b) more creative/innovative ideas for performances.

Honestly, it doesn't matter if were on rank 19, 22 or 26 this year. Basically everything this year is a fail for us, even Slovenia has a more "edgy" song than Levina. It would be the 5th failure as you said, and if nothing changes were probably ending somewhere in the bottom in 2018 as well... Sadly "Perfect life" is boring, bad produced and just cheep. Well done, NDR.
After 2016 I really thought things could just get better for this year, but they have proven me wrong. This year was the first year without a major scandal since 2014(!), I just need to name Andreas Kümmert and Xavier Naidoo.

The NDR had time, they had hundreds of artist, probably hundreds of songs and what just happened? We had a national selection with 5 singers, in which only Levina had a qualification in some way. Not even talking about Felicia's and Helene's vocals. Not even everyone could sing their own version, who the hell had this idea for example in 2014 or 2015?!
Two bland, forgettable and cheap songs. I'm pretty sure I could have written a better, more edgy and catchy song...

T. Schreiber said in an interview a few months ago that were ready for the top 10 and want to reach it again. Is the NDR suffering a loss of reality?

I wouldn't consider withdrawing, we can do it better. But maybe not with the NDR and not with their attitude.

What about songwriters like Felix Jaehn, Alexander Zuckowski ("Rise like a phoenix", "80 Millionen", Alvaro Soler etc.). We have so many good producers and songwriters in Germany, it can't be that hard.

NDR, give the money to the right people and not to the same production team like almost every year. I don't want to hear "Ich kann mir echt nicht erklären, woran es gelegen hat, aber Deutschland unterstützt dich" the next 10 years at the aftershowparty at the Reeperbahn in television...
The only good thing this year is the promotion and that Levina is a great artist herself.

What to expect for 2018? I really don't know. Maybe we should just apply at the NDR.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

lmao. Considering the fit they threw in 2015 at the BBC getting the anniversary show, accusing them of being a joke, not taking seriously etc, i'd say NDR do care for esc. They're just a complete hopeless lost cause at it. If they didn't care you wouldn't get your over thought, over planned NF formats as you do. You just need a new team on it (as do the BBC). France did that and look at the turn around there, 2 great entries from endless years of mediocrity before. Coming from someone who has lived through a few internal selections, they do not work out if the team is hopeless. In 2011, it was right. In 2012, the BBC rejected (current and popular at the time) Pixie Lott and changed their mind on the kinda unknown at the time, but producing stunning music, Hurts, for the relic that is Englebert Humperdink. Sadly both of our nations will be stuck plodding along with mehness until the teams are completely changed with people who are young, experienced and have another view on eurovision and what good music is.

GermanBango

lmao. Considering the fit they threw in 2015 at the BBC getting the anniversary show, accusing them of being a joke, not taking seriously etc, i'd say NDR do care for esc. They're just a complete hopeless lost cause at it. If they didn't care you wouldn't get your over thought, over planned NF formats as you do. You just need a new team on it (as do the BBC). France did that and look at the turn around there, 2 great entries from endless years of mediocrity before. Coming from someone who has lived through a few internal selections, they do not work out if the team is hopeless. In 2011, it was right. In 2012, the BBC rejected (current and popular at the time) Pixie Lott and changed their mind on the kinda unknown at the time, but producing stunning music, Hurts, for the relic that is Englebert Humperdink. Sadly both of our nations will be stuck plodding along with mehness until the teams are completely changed with people who are young, experienced and have another view on eurovision and what good music is.

They should just hire us :lol:

Lenny1993

Whatever the outcome in 2017 might be, I'm sure they'll stick to the casting format. Just because they don't wanna throw it away after only one run. But the thing is that the concept of the show didn't work. The singers were all quite good here but the song selection process was miserable. Neither "Perfect Life" nor "Wildfire" were instant catchy songs, you loved from the first performance. Even after a few listens, they don't really stick. "Perfect Life" more than "Wildfire", that's why the German public picked it. Anyway, my point is: Okay, do a casting show, I don't mind finding fresh talent. BUT and this is the most important thing: Don't give everyone two identical songs and expect the greatest versions ever. Through that we don't get quality but songs that are so lame and totally bland. If you really wanna do a casting show, then do it as follows:

1) Make one show where the audience chooses a singer. Let them do three covers, let's say two of their favorite songs (they obviously need to be quite different, so that the audience can see what they could do at Eurovision) and a Eurovision one. Then the audience decides who is going to represent Germany. (Call this "Unser Star für...")
2) The chosen artists gets a month in the studio. He is able to listen to songs that people send in for Eurovision in general, that people maybe wrote with them in mind after the national final and they can also write songs on their own. By the end the act should provide six potential songs for Eurovision. (You could do a webseries on the process ;-))
3) One month later the act performs all songs in one show. The public chooses its two favorites and then decides in a superfinal what song is going to be the German one at Eurovision 2018. (Call this "Unser Song 2018")

Through this we'll get radiofriendly pop-songs but also individual songs and tracks that are written especially for an act. Just listen to Levina's album: I'm sure if they did the procedure I just explained in 2017, Levina would have performed "Echo", "Perfect Life", "Ordinary People", "Wildfire", "Stop Right There" and "Courage to Say Goodbye". And I'm also sure that people wouldn't have picked "Perfect Life" but rather "Ordinary People" or "Stop Right There" because you here that she is much more doing her thing on those songs than on "Perfect Life".

DanielLuis

I think if they really want to do a casting format they just need to try and adapt the format used from 2010-2012. It worked wonders for them back then.

Lenny1993

I think if they really want to do a casting format they just need to try and adapt the format used from 2010-2012. It worked wonders for them back then.

The problem with that is that it was a co-production with a private channel. And Raab was involved. Those two factors brought Raab's sense for great pop-songs and a much younger audience into the selection process. Also, the shows were much more promoted than this year, where the show was only a production of ARD/NDR. Just adapting the same format won't help us getting better results. They need to find their OWN way of doing it and they need to learn to promote the acts more. Promote the show more. Bringing in a variety of people with different tastes, ages, etc.

ChrisOL

The problem with that is that it was a co-production with a private channel. And Raab was involved. Those two factors brought Raab's sense for great pop-songs and a much younger audience into the selection process. Also, the shows were much more promoted than this year, where the show was only a production of ARD/NDR. Just adapting the same format won't help us getting better results. They need to find their OWN way of doing it and they need to learn to promote the acts more. Promote the show more. Bringing in a variety of people with different tastes, ages, etc.

I think they also have to learn how to deal with a low budget. I don't know our budget the NDR has, but it is our money they spend for Eurovision - Which is different to the cooperation with Pro7. Private channels can basically spend whatever they want on something, the channels we pay for have to go through a lot of committees. Therefore, the NDR probably can't even spend the money they want to spend, because it is not allowed for them.

I honestly don't know the prices for pop songs, but being able to spend more money brings the chance for better songs. For example, with the help of Pro7/Sat.1 they were able to buy "Satellite" or something else, which would not have been possible this year. (It's already 7 years ago, the NDR shouldn't refer to this succesful idea all the time, time has changed :rolleyes:)

And maybe that's the reason why we only had two songs this year: They didn't have enough money to buy more (that would be really really sad by the way).
If I get to know the budget it would be really interesting to see if corruption is another possible thing...

So, I don't want to defend the NDR, but this could be a problem in Germany that private channels won't have.

bstream

Out of the struggling three (UK, Germany, Spain), Germany found their answer long ago: Stefan. Raab.

From my understanding, funding is an issue. Hire Raab as a consultant, utilize his techniques regarding partnering with private networks and funding sources.

The Raab method is tried and tested, and produced the first German winner in decades and a string of top 10s. I feel like this will continue to be a discussion until Raab and/or his methodology is finally brought back into the mix.

GermanBango

Dear NDR,
do it right or stay at home.
Thank you, bye. :lol:

Kicker

To be honest, as long as the NDR keeps demonstrating one year after another that they just have no idea about how Eurovision works and also don't seem to care about it, I'd prefer seeing Germany withdraw and trying again with new people around 2021 or so.

Stiven

Sorry for going off-topic but I just have to share this:

Back on topic I hope that the German HoD learned once and for all that the current voting system where a sizeable portion of the songs will not be heard at all doesn't work, people need to listen to all the songs before they can pick the best one.

Jay25

Just one thing: Please, just PLEASE don't send a "radio-friendly-song". All the songs Germany sent in the last years were "radio-friendly", and this has always been a problem.
You could have switched every german entry with some generic "radio-friendly-pop-song". And you just can't get any points with it.
There are thousand of those songs in the world.

We need something with character, we need a singer and a song with edges, with surprises, with heart.

Franzilein

I think we had some decent acts in the national finals the last few years (thinking of Blitzkids etc.), but sadly they never managed to get enough votes. Maybe an internal selection isn't the worst (then again, the public was outraged when it was tried with Xavier Naidoo, and I don't even want to know what Schreiber and his comrades would select, knowing their incapability :?)

apasionata

Super Moderator
Staff member

Mia Diekow, Blitzkids mvt. or GTFO

Top Bottom