26 11.4%

17 7.4%

10 4.4%

12 5.2%

13 5.7%

6 2.6%

17 7.4%

• Total voters
Diepiepew is a complete moron and should be arrested for internet harassment and cyber-bullying.

Any chance of her returning to Sweden? I'd love to see her in a more minimalistic setting, like a small pub or something.

MonkeyJaw

Nobody expected this to go too high, but last for the second year in a row? It was unfair last year and it's even more this year since the song is a lot better. Only 1 point from the juries is ridiculous.
I should have put money on Germany coming last, I suspected it from the moment I'd heard all songs. The reason is that Germany is straight to the final. If this had to qualify it would never have gone through. Therefore, bottom of the scoreboard.

Diepiepew is a complete moron and should be arrested for internet harassment and cyber-bullying.
What's he done now?

Undo for instance wasn't that great a ballad but because it was from Sweden it got more hype, if some less fancied place had sent it then it would probably have flopped.
Well, Undo had a chorus.

MonkeyJaw

True, true. I think Undo was kinda overrated, but they did have a great show and she did well on stage. But with Poland coming third in televotes this year, I don't know what's real anymore.

Ghost came on when I was walking to work the other day. It was in the phase where you don't immediately get what song/country it is. I just thought: "I rather like this". It's fine as a "radio hit", but it just falls completely apart on stage. It does absolutely nothing. Even the music video for Ghost seems a much better shot - it has a band, you see the drummer marking the beats, and her appearance is "toned down". I'm just ramling here, so I'll stop now.

Brandt

Yesterday new player characters for the new Pokémon games have been revealed. I can't help myself thinking the female character reminds me of Jamie-Lee.

269px-Sun_Moon_Protagonist_female.png

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
Yesterday new player characters for the new Pokémon games have been revealed. I can't help myself thinking the female character reminds me of Jamie-Lee.

269px-Sun_Moon_Protagonist_female.png

The pic is not visible.

MonkeyJaw

For some reason I'm listening to this non-stop now. The studio version is a good, soul-y, chilly beat kinda song. I never thought I'd say this about Ghost, as I predicted it to be last the first time I'd heard all songs.

tuorem

Time for me to review this year's German entry :D

Jamie-Lee Kriewitz - Ghost

Song: For me, Germany has been kind of an unpredictable country in Eurovision lately - I really don't know what to expect from them year after year - but I think they overall have had a truly decent track record according to my taste: in the big 5 group, I'd rank them below Italy, but above the others (France, Spain, the UK). I liked most of their efforts (2009 was a guilty pleasure; 2010 grew on me after the contest; 2012 was nice imo); "Is It Right" (2014) was a nice effort, but I've never been that fond of it; otherwise, I particularly loved their odd-year entries (2011 is my favourite German entry to date, 2013 = I'm a Cascada fan :D, and 2015 was such a jam tbh). Anyway, I recognise that Germans have sent several good entries, yet I never really considered them "reliable" enough to have have high expectations towards them, I don't know why but that's ok, as they have positively surprised me on numerous occasions :D Since I started watching Eurovision, I don't think they have proposed bland songs, some of them were indeed radio-friendly but with some alternative freshness (Satellite, Is It Right) and I truly appreciate that they have never been as lazy and unadventurous as some other participants tbh. "Ghost" - their 2016 entry - is a rather dark mid-tempo ballad sung by a super kawaii young woman called Jamie-Lee. The lyrics are about two lovers who broke up and partly moved on, but one of them (Jamie-Lee) hasn't completely got over her love; haunted by good memories and reflections about what might have caused the end of their relationship, she thinks a new beginning is possible. I find the lyrics just ok, the subject matter is quite common in pop music: for the text to be truly interesting and original, the few present good metaphorical images should have been developped further imo (the dragon and its gold, and the treasure chest), but unfortunately most of the lines are rather common ideas (love story pictured as a book, puzzle pieces that represent separation and disarray), even the song title "ghost" could have generated some nice metaphors, but the lyricist didn't exploit it. Regarding the musical aspect, it starts off with a gloomy synthesizer (whose part is almost organ-material imo) and Jamie-Lee's voice that sings the first verse right away. The atmosphere is set very quickly but at this point, it is impossible to know how it will build up. During the pre-chorus, a finger-snap beat appears, an electronic "dirty" sound gets louder towards the end and the melodic lines change: their ascending progression is unusual and nice to me (it's my favourite part of the song and these high-register notes compliment the singer's voice imo) and the following line supported by backing voices - like a ghostly answer - give a sadder/stranger feel to the song. But the vibe going on suddenly disappears when the chorus begins: a clear and heavy drum beat was used to strengthen the impactfulness of that part, unfortunately I don't think the chorus is memorable at all. Personally, I find this part so disappointing: after such a dark development, I was expecting the chorus to "explode" or at least bring an even more dramatic twist to the song. On the contrary, it is flat, the melody is vanilla, and it's even borderline boring. I'm one of those who feel that Rihanna's Umbrella vibe, I don't know if it's because of the phrasing or the beat. xthink Anyway, the chorus is followed by two additional lines - mainly supported by backing voices - before the second verse begins: the arrangements are the same as for the first one, they just added the loud beat of the chorus to give it more oomph I guess. Actually I do enjoy these parts (verses and pre-choruses), it's just too bad the chorus is so dull. The other weakness of the song is in its structure as there is no bridge to actually break the monotony and the chorus repeated twice at the end was a very bad idea imo because the chorus itself is pretty repetitive already: they could have changed the lyrics for the last part or added significant vocal variations since the present ad-libs just don't make up for that repetitiveness to me. Overall, I see "Ghost" as a demo: there are some good ideas that haven't been either exploited or developed further, and it could have made the song so much better than it is: a better fitting chorus first (with a melody that actually doesn't ruin the atmosphere set), a bridge instead of an additional chorus, and maybe more refined arrangements. Lyrically, it's the same: why so many ordinary lines while there was a good basis for creativity? :( I do enjoy the song when it plays, but that's all, I can't help thinking it was just too lazy to be good enough.

Voice: Jamie-Lee has a pleasant voice, she can sing and I think she did her best during the grand final. But like Freddie, one can have a kick-ass voice and give a spot-on performance, if the song is not good enough, there is nothing one can do about it. I believe Jamie-Lee was better than her song, she was smiling and doing her thing, she seemed genuinely happy to be on stage and live that unique moment in her career, but the song... :?

Staging: It seems like Germany transposed the NF presentation to the Eurovision stage, which isn't a bad thing when it works. Jamie-Lee started singing in the dark, all one could see was her silhouette and a dead tree made distinguishable thanks to the full moon behind her. She stood at the center of the stage, surrounded by dead trees emitting green laser beams and forming a gloomy imaginary forest. The floor was displaying purple moving blurred shapes and waves on dark background, as if there was a ground fog. Some discreet bigger purplish trees appeared on the sides (I don't know whether they were holograms or not). The stage got significantly lighter when Jamie-Lee went to the b-stage towards the end of the song, I guess the backdrops displayed flowered trees with petals and flowers blown away by the wind, as well as the "evergreen" full moon at the center. Personally, I think it was a decent presentation - even though there wasn't much going on - the visuals were in line with the music and even her appearance. Jamie-Lee wore a unique (probably homemade) manga-inspired outfit (she said she was inspired by Korean fashion, but it looks more Japanese to me) composed of shiny platform shoes, light blue and purple high striped tights, a puffed-out blue dress with various blue and silver shiny embellishments and busy shoulder pads. A unique head decorative accessory made of blue/pink/lilac/white ribbons, hearts/plants and other items completed the look. Without digging her looks, I'm glad she didn't dress differently if that's how she wanted to present herself, I don't know much about Manga-inspired fashion but I'll be careful not to call it trash or ugly as I appreciate and respect fashion. I don't know why some people made such a big deal out of her outfit, I know Eurovision is getting real serious but way crazier outfits were still commonplace not so long ago. :rolleyes:

Outcome: Germany placed dead last for the second time in a row, that is 26th out of 26 countries in the grand final. While I do recognise "Ghost" was certainly not the song of the year and - as I pointed out - had quite a lot of flaws imo, I don't think it deserved to be last (the UK would have deserved it more tbh) and I didn't have that "gonna end last" feel, but again I was shocked about "Black Smoke" outer space flop, so... :D 1 point from the juries was bad, especially when a bland cheese ended up receiving about 320 points from them :? I mean I can see why that song didn't do well (unlike Black Smoke) and I didn't expect more than a low place realistically but last place was too harsh imo. In my personal ranking, "Ghost" is placed 20th out of 42: I can't say I really like it but that was better than half the songs this year to me :D Yes, there were way worse songs! Germans did have two really bad years unfortunately (I still believe Black Smoke deserved at least top 15), but I hope these failure will encourage their broadcaster to improve the level of quality of the songs they'll select next year. Good luck in Ukraine guys :p

LalehForWD

I liked Jamie-Lee on first listen, felt the fragile tenderness. Reminded me a bit of Anna Bergendahl. I agree with [MENTION=9195]tuorem[/MENTION] while Ghost wasn't amazing, it was certainly not the worse song of the year. While the big 5 will always feel detached and anonymous by default since they don't participate in the semis, Jamie-Lee didn't do anything to counteract that and improve the lack of presence. I think she would have scored much better if she had participated in the semis, competing for another country.

macmillanandwife

Great Review @tourem! While I agree that this song can be seen as an OK song with a bland chorus, the biggest problem with Ghost (and Black Smoke from last year) is that it they're "headphone songs," meaning they truly stand out after a few listens and catch you when you hear it in the background or when listening to them via headphones while doing something. Hence, unfortunately, it doesn't catch the Eurovision audience at first listen. Like last year, I was pretty shocked that they placed last for the 2nd time in a row as I don't think it was deserved. While technically Black Smoke did worse than Ghost as it scored 0 points, if you implement the new system on 2015's scores, Germany actually did WORSE this year than in 2015 with 11 points vs. 29 points respectfully. While I did expect Germany doing poorly with the televoters, I was pretty appalled when the Jury gave only the song 1 point.

In terms of the staging, while they did better in matching the Asian theme style with Jamie's look in the Final than in the National Final, it still didn't connect with the dark tone of the song. I did like her very unique style it didn't match with the song's theme that well. As I said at an earlier post, if she was going to stay with her Japanese street fashion style, she could have went much, MUCH further by infusing Decora-kei with lolita fashion influences to better match the song's tone. Also, the staging could have been changed to be much more anime with a Japanese streetscape with holographic ghosts passing through the stage somewhat like Spirited Away. Something like this:
spirited_away_street_scene.jpg
Sure, it's over the top, but it could have made the song much more memorable. Actually, it's a missed opportunity tbh.

After these placing the past two years, I hope NDR learns and try harder in their selection next year. Best of luck in Ukraine guys!

Realest

Deserved last Place, but 11 Points are 11 Points too much..Ridiculous how she whined that the voting wasnt fair.

Realest

Re: GERMANY 2016 - Xavier Naidoo

And now you will never see a popular artist participating for Germany. Not that I like Xavier Naidoo or agreed with his views, neither I think all that was said is true, but this decision is death sentence for Germany's ambitions. Not only this year, the next years will be like Germany: 0 points! :rolleyes:

So True. Cant believe how Germany could miss this huge chance.

Lindon

Re: GERMANY 2016

As I said before, I am not a fan of Xavier Naidoo's music in any shape or form. I don't live in Germany so I wasn't aware of all the other stuff that was going on and his political believes. He really sounds like a dick so I can't say I'm sad about the broadcaster's decision to remove him. Would I have done it?!? Probably not, at least not for the criticism he received related to his music and lyrics. But the other crazy stuff he does and says, I'm glad that we don't have to worry about him making Germany look even worse at Eurovision.

To me, the biggest failure is the broadcaster. They continue to be clueless and arrogant and it's really pissing me off. They only listened to the fans and media cause it was such a dramatic backlash, even they couldn't ignore it. Otherwise, they would have naively stuck to their guns and probably caused even more damage. I truly think that everyone at the top should get kicked out and they need to come up with a competent team that knows what it's doing.

First they tease us with an elaborate NF system, similar to Melodifestivalen. Then they start talking to Xavier Naidoo and think "Hey you know what? He's famous here. And our four brain cells tell us that he'll be just as popular everywhere. So let's pretend nothing has happened and select him. Who needs a National Final anyway"?

Yes, the last couple of NF winning songs were a flop but it was the shittiest show in Europe. Two songs per artist but only some of the acts got to perform both songs? And then we split our votes between songs. It was too messy.

They are an embarrassment and I'm thrilled by the fact that they're in hot water. And they still arrogantly defend their decision. In your face, NDR and ARD.

Sorry, I'm done venting.

xaviernaidoo296_v-contentxl.jpg

Xavier Naidoo may not be called an anti-Semite

The German singer Xavier Naidoo may not be called an anti-Semite after a court decision. The district court Regensburg today gave its injunction against a speaker of the Amadeu Antonio Foundation, which had called him at an event last year so. After the verdict, she is now forbidden to repeat that. Otherwise she is threatened with regulatory or regulatory imprisonment.

According to a spokesman, the court came to the conclusion that in this case Naidoo's personality rights outweigh the freedom of expression. In the process, the judges also examined controversial passages from songs of the singer. From the point of view of the court, Naidoo had conclusively stated that the texts had other messages, said the spokesman. Naidoo had come to Regensburg for the start of the process.

The singer has been controversial for years, he was repeatedly accused of right-wing populism in the past. The debates over his comments also cost him a planned appearance at the Eurovision Song Contest in 2016. In November 2015, NDR, responsible for the competition in Germany, withdrew Naidoo's previous nomination. The station justified this with the partly severely public criticism of the singer.

http://orf.at/stories/2447267/

https://www.lhr-law.de/magazin/medienrecht-und-persoenlichkeitsrecht/xaxier-naidoo-antisemit

I bet he would easily win a process about his so called right-wing opinions. He has a strange notion about the souveranity of Germany, but I don't get why this should be a right-wing opinion. It is just another conspiracy theory. And after the president's comments last week the theory seems to be debunked.

Whatever you may think about him as a person, this is still one of the best German songs ever:

Mainshow

Veteran
12 points - It was the right decision to not let Xavier Naidoo represent our country. He doesn't even recognize Germany as an independent country.
Jamie's song was a well-produced and modern pop song with a catchy hook. Maybe it was too mid-tempo and her look might have been off-putting but tbh, it's my favourite German entry after the two Lena songs.

mauve

Veteran
12 points - It was the right decision to not let Xavier Naidoo represent our country. He doesn't even recognize Germany as an independent country.
Jamie's song was a well-produced and modern pop song with a catchy hook. Maybe it was too mid-tempo and her look might have been off-putting but tbh, it's my favourite German entry after the two Lena songs.

Agree. Actually didn't like it at the first listening, but the song grew on me. Probably thinking differently than others who hate this song, but Jamie had a great voice live, she stood out with her Manga-look and I still listen to the song now and then.

Realest

I just personally don't get why this placed dead last :(

I dont know what should make people vote for it.
Also most Juries had her around 18th-22th Place, which makes sense to me, so I think its an obvious lastplacer.
And not to forget her outfit..

Preuss

I dont know what should make people vote for it.
Also most Juries had her around 18th-22th Place, which makes sense to me, so I think its an obvious lastplacer.
And not to forget her outfit..

I liked the staging if I’m honest and think it was a solid effort.. ):

Top Bottom