Contact us

Germany 1993 - Münchener Freiheit - Viel zu weit

carlosmstraductor

Hello everybody.

I would like to know your opinion about this song, their clothes reminded me of those worn by The Beatles, but the style of this band/group is more similar to symphonic rock that was very popular in the 1980's, they had successes like "Ohne dich (schlaf' ich heut' Nacht nicht ein)" and "Keeping the dream alive".
They even recorded a Spanish version, since Stefan Zauner (the lead singer and composer back then) has a house and a recording studio in Ibiza.

The lyrics of this song are very likely to talk about the resurgence of neo-Nazi/far-right movements, racism and xenophobia in Germany back then, especially in the former East Germany/German Democratic Republic (such as it happens today with the success of AfD). That's why they remain timeless, but despite the amazing orchestration created by Norbert Daum (an awesome, talented, hard-working and perfectionist professional who did an excellent job), their result was not very good because they performed before Switzerland (one of the bookies/bookmakers favourites since it was probably a new Céline Dion) and the sound quality was a little bit weak.

BTW, the German jury (with Carmen Nebel as spokesperson) was based in Leipzig, but I don't really know if they met at the Schlachtof or at the Funkhaus. They were 8 music experts and 8 music lovers from all walks of life chosen by an Infratest poll/survey. It would be an excellent idea to consult these details in old newspapers such as Leipziger Volkszeitung or Sächsische Zeitung in a library in Leipzig or Dresden. Excuse me for any inconvenience if I'm getting boring or annoying, but I like contributing to Wikipedia with these apparently banal and foolish trivia, I'm really interested in ESC behind the scenes.

All the best
Carlos M.S.

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
1996 would have been it :(

carlosmstraductor

It was internally chosen by MDR and it was performed for the very first time in "Meine Show" (ARD) hosted by Dagmar Frederic on 15th April 1993.

dungyllan1804

I don't mind this, it's high quality but too low-impact for Eurovision, especially in the 90s, when successful songs tended to be attention-grabbing. It's nowhere near as good as the 1994 entry though

Top Bottom