3 2.4%

6 4.8%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Sorry for double-posting, but we posted at the same time and this encapsulates my thoughts perfectly. Yes, very much this. xleft

Yeah, I agree with you, and Luke too who I forgot to mention in my post. If the song has a mysterious tone to it I always allow some leeway when it comes to the lyrics and the clarity of them. Some of my all time favourite artists such as Soap&Skin and Eartheater can be very hard to decipher at times but it only adds to the mystique of their music. I'm not particularly crazy for Serbia's entry this year but I can totally understand any difficulty you may have had there with comprehending what he was singing not getting in the way of your enjoyment of the entry.

blue00eyes

I didn't know what language it was when listening to the song, I thought it's just bilingual.
I didn't have any hopes for Georgia and kinda expected this style because they often try it. It's either about being small but strong and brave (country) like 2015 or 2017, 2019 or a weird song of a group that doesn't fit - 2016, 2021, 2014, 2018, 2022... there's a taste

Their most recent jESC entry is so much better than Echo.

A-lister

Veteran
People in the Swedish thread accuse Loreen, the Swedish singer from Sweden who happens to speak Swedish and will represent Sweden this year by the way ;), of mumbling her words as well, does it stop them from loving her songs? Not really, no?
So what is this weird fixation on perfect English? We're in Europe, vi oll häv some akcents, zhey are fire, issa part of zhe charme. Rather disappointed about such a narrow-mindedness, dear (and I frankly don't understand the fuss about her English, is it really that bad? :unsure: I didn't need subtitles to comprehend her song and I'm no native speaker either. Had a harder time with Luke from Serbia and adore his song anyway)
I don't think it's about being narrow-minded, but if there is this urge to sing in English at least a somewhat basic pronunciation would be good. I don't mind much in a "simple party song" but when a song aims to be more serious, it's where it becomes more cringe.

I for one think the narrow-mindness is wanting all in Eurovision to be in English (regardless of the shape of that English) instead of being open to the fact that Europe has diverse languages and we should rather embrace that. If more people would be open for the latter, we wouldn't even have discussions like these lol.

midnightsun

Veteran
I really don’t get the fuss about Iru‘s lyrics. If someone hadn’t written they are ridiculous I wouldn’t have thought about them. When I first listened to it I thought it was some kind of poetic expression, like in old tales (which would fit the mysterious sorceress outfits). Only after people complained about the lyrics I bothered to look them up but I still don’t care about them. They are just there and have no negative influence on me in that regard.

I will say something bold now: Georgia will win Semi 2. I got this feeling today after watching the recap. It stood out the most.

satinelamort

This will probably grow on me. Right now it's my number 10 in my ranking. I'm somewhat hopeful and look forward to a good staging in May. Fingers crossed.

Franzilein

I don't think it's about being narrow-minded, but if there is this urge to sing in English at least a somewhat basic pronunciation would be good. I don't mind much in a "simple party song" but when a song aims to be more serious, it's where it becomes more cringe.

Nah, this is not a point I will ever hold against anybody trying to speak a foreign language, especially against people coming from countries with a vastly different native tongue like Georgia. With that mindset I suppose you never were a fan of K-Pop or Japanese songs? :lol: For example one of the best known Japanese composers Hiroyuki Sawano often uses German in his soundtracks. If I had never seen the lyrics, I would have never guessed that it's my native language they're singing, pronunciation is all over the place. Is it cringe? Absolutely not, I felt so honoured when I discovered it xlove

I for one think the narrow-mindness is wanting all in Eurovision to be in English (regardless of the shape of that English) instead of being open to the fact that Europe has diverse languages and we should rather embrace that. If more people would be open for the latter, we wouldn't even have discussions like these lol.

Kinda agree, but if people want to sing in English (which is probably something different from their everyday life as well, so something special) ... why the hell not, power to them :lol:

A-lister

Veteran
Kinda agree, but if people want to sing in English (which is probably something different from their everyday life as well, so something special) ... why the hell not, power to them :lol:

Well, if this wasn't a song especially manufactured for Eurovision then sure...

I applaud people trying on different languages, but perhaps now is not the right time to show a whole continent your struggles but again each to their own...

I still wish for a switch in language, but that would be my go to answer for almost all entries so nothing new :lol: (but in this case considering how bad the prononciation is, it would really help... this is a bit like that Alcohol You scenario).

What people always seem to forget is that with knowledge in the language also comes confidence, we so often see artists in Eurovision that don't feel that confident in English, and normally don't sing in English, yet they are kinda "forced to" by broadcasters that lack... well... confidence in themselves and their countries... and quite often this translates into stiff performances, have negative impact even on vocal deliveries as the artist is struggling to even get the words right... why add another obstacle?

Franzilein

Well, if this wasn't a song especially manufactured for Eurovision then sure...

Why does that make a difference?

I applaud people trying on different languages, but perhaps now is not the right time to show a whole continent your struggles but again each to their own...

Well, being hellbent on perfect language skills is probably not what everyone expects from the ESC community which always prides itself for being tolerant and diverse ;) We haven't even seen her live yet, so what struggles are we talking about? And what lack of confidence?

I still wish for a switch in language, but that would be my go to answer for almost all entries so nothing new :lol: (but in this case considering how bad the prononciation is, it would really help... this is a bit like that Alcohol You scenario).

What people always seem to forget is that with knowledge in the language also comes confidence, we so often see artists in Eurovision that don't feel that confident in English, and normally don't sing in English, yet they are kinda "forced to" by broadcasters that lack... well... confidence in themselves and their countries... and quite often this translates into stiff performances, have negative impact even on vocal deliveries as the artist is struggling to even get the words right... why add another obstacle?

Yeah, I mean I get it, I'd love to hear more different languages as well. But if you use this to rate songs, it's just putting your own interests first without taking songs in at face value. Don't see how it elevates any song for you simply by "I no longer understand what is being said, so it's better". And I have to assume this is your criteria, since I don't think you're proficient in all European languages (Georgian in this case), so how can you even possibly say how different phonetics would change the song for the better or worse – melody and arrangement still most likely being the same as well xthink

Kentish

The stage show will make this fly. The odds are about the same as Conchita's were at this time of the year, and here we have a jESC winner with incredible vocals and a catchy composition guaranteed for jury top3. Haters won't realize this until May, but with the year-best staging potential it has, this is a contender for the title.

A-lister

Veteran
Why does that make a difference?
It was just in reference to your comment, I kinda lost track though :lol:
Well, being hellbent on perfect language skills is probably not what everyone expects from the ESC community which always prides itself for being tolerant and diverse ;) We haven't even seen her live yet, so what struggles are we talking about? And what lack of confidence?
I thought the Eurovision community wanted to hear different languages and not Anglovision with beginners courses in English for millions of viewers but ok... Lol

Yes, when a singer struggles in a language it takes away focus from the general performance, we've seen it alot of times.
Yeah, I mean I get it, I'd love to hear more different languages as well. But if you use this to rate songs, it's just putting your own interests first without taking songs in at face value. Don't see how it elevates any song for you simply by "I no longer understand what is being said, so it's better". And I have to assume this is your criteria, since I don't think you're proficient in all European languages (Georgian in this case), so how can you even possibly say how different phonetics would change the song for the better or worse – melody and arrangement still most likely being the same as well xthink
The song still remains in my top. 10, I just think Georgian would elevate it that's all.

I love listening to music in foreign languages which was always the charm with Eurovision. Every language has its own melody, sounds and rhythmics, that's what I miss hearing. If you view languages from a musical point of view, you might get where I'm coming from. It's just boring with all the English and I really don't see the point if the singers don't even seem to know basics even, how that is helping a song I dunno but I guess we view this differently so let's just agree to disagree.

Anyways, I still like the song, but I can't fully isolate the gibberish from it I'm afraid, it does bring down the general impression (unless the purpose was actually to send a song in Gibberish, but I guess that wasn't the intention).

midnightsun

Veteran
The stage show will make this fly. The odds are about the same as Conchita's were at this time of the year, and here we have a jESC winner with incredible vocals and a catchy composition guaranteed for jury top3. Haters won't realize this until May, but with the year-best staging potential it has, this is a contender for the title.

As I wrote earlier I think this could win its semi. When I was watching the recap this stood out so much and will even more live. If Iru is able to bring it on live she can do it. Not winning, but top 5. I still think the lyrics don’t matter and I‘m quite positive people don’t take notice of them or don’t care about them, at least the huge part who is watching all the songs for the first time. 3 minutes slaying - people won’t notice what she‘s singing, they will be mesmerized by her voice and stage presence.

Franzilein

I thought the Eurovision community wanted to hear different languages and not Anglovision with beginners courses in English for millions of viewers but ok... Lol

So harsh man, poor Iru :lol: But nah, don't think people care about languages as much as the music itself. Even you having Georgia still in your top despite all the complaints is great evidence ;)

I love listening to music in foreign languages which was always the charm with Eurovision. Every language has its own melody, sounds and rhythmics, that's what I miss hearing. If you view languages from a musical point of view, you might get where I'm coming from. It's just boring with all the English and I really don't see the point if the singers don't even seem to know basics even, how that is helping a song I dunno but I guess we view this differently so let's just agree to disagree.

I just have a hard time imagining how a song would sound like in a different language when I don't have ACTUAL versions to compare. Heck, even with languages that I do speak or have a basic understanding of (studied linguistics before lol). And I know for a fact that e.g. many musicians from my country don't know what they prefer either before trying (some even being the total opposite, lost count how many national singers said "it's harder to sing in German than English" :lol:) so it's just a weird viewpoint to me to always claim "it would have been better in native language" – lucky UK I guess :lol:

Deleted member 12761

Her performance at BEP was amazing! The song has grown on me, too.

12Pointsgoto.....

Georgia just needs to make it through to the final, and then they're good. This could weaken Sweden's jury votes a lot, maybe even win. I hope they decide to change the lyrics, it is the only thing holding the song back at the moment.

ayzelto

Georgia, Spain, Moldova and Lithuania were the best of the night. Georgia is going thorug,h, no doubt about that

Top Bottom