6 4.8%

3 2.4%

6 4.8%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

jatojo

She's re-inventing dadaism! And I'm not sure I like it. The mysterious vibe in the music and the video isn't really reflected in the lyrics - it's just random pieces of sentences put together. I'm not sure I've ever retracted several points from my rating just because of the words of a song, but I'll do it this time. I'll give it a 5.

Jeez, this Eurovision selection is full of 4's and 5's ...

A-lister

Veteran
She's re-inventing dadaism! And I'm not sure I like it. The mysterious vibe in the music and the video isn't really reflected in the lyrics - it's just random pieces of sentences put together. I'm not sure I've ever retracted several points from my rating just because of the words of a song, but I'll do it this time. I'll give it a 5.

Jeez, this Eurovision selection is full of 4's and 5's ...

This is what desperation to sing in English causes when neither the songwriters nor singers know proper English. Both Georgia and Armenia do the same mistake this year with cringe English lyrics (sometimes not even understandable) in songs that at least on paper have some sort of ambition behind (Georgia more than Armenia imo, but whatever).

Georgia should scrap the English all in all in this song.

Franzilein

When Sanna Nielsen can sing "undo my sad" to force a rhyme with "bad" and be a fan favourite, I have no problem with broken English in other songs :cool:

A-lister

Veteran
When Sanna Nielsen can sing "undo my sad" to force a rhyme with "bad" and be a fan favourite, I have no problem with broken English in other songs :cool:

As if that's the worst we got in Eurovision? :lol:

At least you could understand what she sung and it was hardly the worst lyrics either we got in Eurovision, this however is barely understandable it's not just "broken", it's VERY broken :lol:

But sure, let's applaud making a song with potential worse because some song in the past didn't have the best lyrics ever (which would be the majority of ESC entries sung in English period)... makes total sense :lol:

Loindici

Veteran

At least you could understand what she sung and it was hardly the worst lyrics either we got in Eurovision, this however is barely understandable it's not just "broken", it's VERY broken :lol:

But sure, let's applaud making a song with potential worse because some song in the past didn't have the best lyrics ever (which would be the majority of ESC entries sung in English period)... makes total sense :lol:

The thing is, no matter how crashed and burned the English is, it sounds EPIC and poeple will vote for it just because it is EPIC.

Loindici

Veteran
They're revamping the song. It'll now be called "Echo Music" and one might notice melodic similarities with the JESC hit Candy Music, but it's absolutely coincidental I promise.

Between all of the humor, I feel they're going to try revamping the lyrics. That jumbled stack of words has been LAMBASTED by the fans :ROFLMAO:

A-lister

Veteran
The thing is, no matter how crashed and burned the English is, it sounds EPIC and poeple will vote for it just because it is EPIC.

I do like the entry (as I wrote in my little review I think it might be the best Georgia sent since 2007!), but that is also why these gibberish lyrics are problematic because it brings down the whole experience in what could truly be an epic song, it makes it a bit silly and I don't think that was the purpose they were aiming for so it's just a bit sad xshrug

Franzilein

Wadde hadde dudde da, A-lister? You don't like staying cool like a swimming pool? Undo my sad about this gibberish, the potential is gone due to grammar bad. Crap, ah. Me don't understand song about love things turning alright.

giphy.gif

Wynnter

And I'm also very interested to see what our translator is going to do with this entry. Will he go with the broken nature of the lyrics or do something else? :lol:

Franzilein

That's actually what she was singing the whole time? Sheesh, for the longest time I've thought she was singing "Undo what I said". xcrazy

:lol: No, Sanna was a very sad girl indeed xcry

But then again, I always thought the song is dreadful, correcting some grammar wouldn't help there. Hence why I don't see in Iru's case how fixing the lyrics would actually change someone's opinion about the music, since getting the gist of the song really doesn't take some big brain movement as well. "I've got a big faith, love is my crown" → "Will be better day now" O look, her faith and love will turn everything for the better. Duh.

A-lister

Veteran
:lol: No, Sanna was a very sad girl indeed xcry

But then again, I always thought the song is dreadful, correcting some grammar wouldn't help there. Hence why I don't see in Iru's case how fixing the lyrics would actually change someone's opinion about the music, since getting the gist of the song really doesn't take some big brain movement as well. "I've got a big faith, love is my crown" → "Will be better day now" O look, her faith and love will turn everything for the better. Duh.

The problem is not so much the lyrics per se, it's that she struggles to make them even understandable. Bottom line they should have stuck with Georgian, a language the singer is obviously more comfortable with. It would enhance the song with some mystery instead of all these lines where people will point out all the odd pronunciations, but each to their own xshrug The song is still in my top. 10 though so...

And yeah we get you didn't like Undo, not sure how relevant it is to this discussion though? I love these whataboutisms though, if someone from country A says something about country B's entry then somehow it will make that criticism less valuable by randomly criticize something from country A (even an entry that is like 10 years old?) Lol that's not how it works...

Franzilein

The problem is not so much the lyrics per se, it's that she struggles to make them even understandable. Bottom line they should have stuck with Georgian, a language the singer is obviously more comfortable with. It would enhance the song with some mystery instead of all these lines where people will point out all the odd pronunciations, but each to their own xshrug The song is still in my top. 10 though so...

And yeah we get you didn't like Undo, not sure how relevant it is to this discussion though? I love these whataboutisms though, if someone from country A says something about country B's entry then somehow it will make that criticism less valuable by randomly criticize something from country A (even an entry that is like 10 years old?) Lol that's not how it works...

I literally put into context why I don't see how changing lyrics doesn't make a song worse or better, why do you make this a discussion about countries now? Where did I ever mention anything about a country or that you shouldn't criticise anything :lol: Undo was just a natural comparison here; ESC-related, broken English which was very prominent in the song (chorus), yet still successful because people didn't care and liked the music. Thinking about any song I disliked, would changing lyrics or language make it better in my eyes? Hell no :lol: So much emphasis on pointless changes.

A-lister

Veteran
I literally put into context why I don't see how changing lyrics doesn't make a song worse or better, why do you make this a discussion about countries now? Where did I ever mention anything about a country or that you shouldn't criticise anything :lol: Undo was just a natural comparison here; ESC-related, broken English which was very prominent in the song (chorus), yet still successful because people didn't care and liked the music. Thinking about any song I disliked, would changing lyrics or language make it better in my eyes? Hell no :lol: So much emphasis on pointless changes.

Well, I wouldn't compare some stupid line in a song where you could still understand what she sung with a girl who can't even pronounce the words to save here life but each to their own lol

But yeah, it doesn't really change anything now does it. Will be interesting to see though why they took this down, if it really is to change the language I'm all for it, stupid lyrics or not, at least she will be able to pronounce them.

DanielLuis

I think for 80% of the cases lyrics doesn't matter at all, but there is a point where they are so absolutely godawful that it does actually impact the opinion voters have of the song. And Georgia this year is definitely reaching that threshold. Their advantage is honestly that the way Iru enunciates in the song makes it so that it's not really understandable how bad the lyrics are (and honestly I wonder if this isn't a conscious choice by her), because if the enunciation was more clear I really think it would hurt Georgia somewhat, particularly on the jury side of matters.
So yeah I'm all for them revamping the lyrics, especially because it's really really easy to adapt them to at least make grammatical sense while not breaking the metrics of the song. Literally anyone with a passing knowledge of English could do it. Correcting the lyrics of this song could be an exercise in a middle school level English school book, for god's sake.

crashworld

Veteran
It's OK, I guess the Georgia delegation thinks it will be easier for her to sound gibberish so all of us (whether you know English or not) can also sing along in gibberish.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
I can understand the majority of what Iru sings and I actually think her pronunciation is for the most part clear (gorgeous even during the slower verses). The only part I totally misheard was the start of the chorus where I thought she was singing "there's a road, I'm thinking, I know" rather than "days in a row I'm thinking I know". Of course, the rest of the song does contain some broken English lyrics but that can be fixed.. or perhaps not even, as I really don't think it will play a big part in how this entry does at the contest. The important thing here is the conviction she has during the song and it's tremendous.

If this was a slow ballad (a la Alcohol You) it would likely bother me but it's not one. I think Iru's accent is clearer than in the songs from Estonia, Armenia and Greece (the latter being hard to understand through vocal stylistic choice) for instance. Heck, even Sweden some have difficulty with. With the lyric thing of course people have a point as some of it is nonsensical but gosh, I think there are songs this year performed by singers with way thicker accents.

Franzilein

Well, I wouldn't compare some stupid line in a song where you could still understand what she sung with a girl who can't even pronounce the words to save here life but each to their own lol

But yeah, it doesn't really change anything now does it. Will be interesting to see though why they took this down, if it really is to change the language I'm all for it, stupid lyrics or not, at least she will be able to pronounce them.

People in the Swedish thread accuse Loreen, the Swedish singer from Sweden who happens to speak Swedish and will represent Sweden this year by the way ;), of mumbling her words as well, does it stop them from loving her songs? Not really, no?
So what is this weird fixation on perfect English? We're in Europe, vi oll häv some akcents, zhey are fire, issa part of zhe charme. Rather disappointed about such a narrow-mindedness, dear (and I frankly don't understand the fuss about her English, is it really that bad? :unsure: I didn't need subtitles to comprehend her song and I'm no native speaker either. Had a harder time with Luke from Serbia and adore his song anyway)

Franzilein

I can understand the majority of what Iru sings and I actually think her pronunciation is for the most part clear (gorgeous even during the slower verses). The only part I totally misheard was the start of the chorus where I thought she was singing "there's a road, I'm thinking, I know" rather than "days in a row I'm thinking I know". Of course, the rest of the song does contain some broken English lyrics but that can be fixed.. or perhaps not even, as I really don't think it will play a big part in how this entry does at the contest. The important thing here is the conviction she has during the song and it's tremendous.

If this was a slow ballad (a la Alcohol You) it would likely bother me but it's not one. I think Iru's accent is clearer than in the songs from Estonia, Armenia and Greece (the latter being hard to understand through vocal stylistic choice) for instance. Heck, even Sweden some have difficulty with. With the lyric thing of course people have a point as some of it is nonsensical but gosh, I think there are songs this year performed by singers with way thicker accents.

Sorry for double-posting, but we posted at the same time and this encapsulates my thoughts perfectly. Yes, very much this. xleft

Top Bottom