3 2.4%

6 4.8%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Yazy

I'm not thrilled about this.

Despite their bad track record, I personally held them in higher regard than any other underachieving country who was playing it safe on the other hand.

There was a certain identity to those out of a box attempts, despite rarely getting rewarded.

I would take that any day over what DORA is doing (and few other NF's with the same issue). 😒

A-lister

Veteran
With Georgia, I always say the same thing. I applaud them for trying different things, but they're also a prime example of that only being different isn't going to cut it if the quality is dire or bad at best.

There's nothing much to applaud in the end of the day, and as I wrote before it seems as if their whole selection is just hijacked by some pretentious ego who runs it like his/her private show but doesn't really know about what is actually good and doesn't seem to grasp Eurovision either. If this was a private show sure, but it's dragging down the country's international promo and brand.

Georgia could take a look at Ukraine for inspiration, how to come up with unique but high quality entries and to sell full packages.

Mainshow

Veteran
They don't have such a thriving music scene, though.

Clubs and Bars in Tbilisi either play jazz or trance/deep EDM music without vocals.

They really need professional help to come up with Eurovision entries of international quality. But I agree with you. They don't have to give up on originality and being different but they really need to step up their game regarding production, harmonies...

A-lister

Veteran
They don't have such a thriving music scene, though.

Clubs and Bars in Tbilisi either play jazz or trance/deep EDM music without vocals.

They really need professional help to come up with Eurovision entries of international quality. But I agree with you. They don't have to give up on originality and being different but they really need to step up their game regarding production, harmonies...

Well, much smaller countries than Georgia come up with good stuff so I don't think it's impossible. They started out with one of the imo strongest debuts in the contest back in 2007, and that song was original, had a good presentation, blended local motives in interesting ways and stood out in the right way. Why not a jazzy deep house ethno entry? It could work in the right package.

The problem now is that they misunderstood the "being original part"-concept, because what does it help when their entries are badly produced, bland and forgettable in the end of the day? Most people use their entries as coffee breaks :lol: At least they should be remembered if anything, but they can't even achieve that so just chasing originality for the sake of originality isn't working.

I am a strong supporter for originality, but if Eurovision Georgia would be a person, it would be that pretentious hipster studying a dot on a painting but actually in reality know nothing about art. Like you said they need professional guidance here, but I think they also need another team running this because again it seems very much a "one man's vision" and that vision is clearly wrong.

Looren

Veteran
Oh I absolutely love The Voice so am hyped xD

Also their 2019 entry was in my top 10 that year, loooved it xheart

ESC94

Well, much smaller countries than Georgia come up with good stuff so I don't think it's impossible. They started out with one of the imo strongest debuts in the contest back in 2007, and that song was original, had a good presentation, blended local motives in interesting ways and stood out in the right way. Why not a jazzy deep house ethno entry? It could work in the right package.

The problem now is that they misunderstood the "being original part"-concept, because what does it help when their entries are badly produced, bland and forgettable in the end of the day? Most people use their entries as coffee breaks :lol: At least they should be remembered if anything, but they can't even achieve that so just chasing originality for the sake of originality isn't working.

I am a strong supporter for originality, but if Eurovision Georgia would be a person, it would be that pretentious hipster studying a dot on a painting but actually in reality know nothing about art. Like you said they need professional guidance here, but I think they also need another team running this because again it seems very much a "one man's vision" and that vision is clearly wrong.

Thanks for giving me a good laugh, I totally agree with you on that. :)

Don´t get me wrong, :ge: can send songs as freaky as they want t but they have to learn that just sending something "special" or "different" alone isn´t enough if the song itself is bad or mediocre at best.

EscGeek

Veteran

I glanced through the candidates and Gvantsa Kupatadze stood out to me the most. Do your magic, Georgia.

A-lister

Veteran
I think Georgia going with The Voice as a selection method is a bit misguided, their issue wasn't that singers were incompetent vocalists, but that their entries were mostly crap. They should rather put focus on finding the right entry.

mauve

Veteran
Since Georgia was my top 5 ESC country in the past years, I hope it will stay so this year as well! I haven't listened to any songs yet. So I will let myself surprise!

Top Bottom