Lock me up (Up), lock me down (Down)
Lock me in (In), lock me out (Out)
Lock me sideways
Lock me up (Up), lock me down (Down)
Lock me in (In), lock me out (Out)
Lock me sideways
(Circus Mircus)

Zeus

Tornike back again with a rocksong. I don't care if he will qualify for the final or not, at least he needs his revenge. With that voice he should be in a final and be blowing up juryvotes for fun.

rasmuslights

Veteran
I wonder what Georgia will do.. I think they will be going back to buying songs because all of their latest entries really flopped ..

Mimmon

Veteran
Georgia has great pop and indie rock scene....
Im suprised that they sending ethnic ballads and slow powerful songs

A-lister

Veteran
Georgia has great pop and indie rock scene....
Im suprised that they sending ethnic ballads and slow powerful songs

What ethnic ballads? Out of all their entries, only 2 I'd say had ethnic elements (2007 and 2018)... in fact compared to their neighbors in the Caucasus, they're the country which sent least ethnic entries of them all.

Mainshow

Veteran
What ethnic ballads? Out of all their entries, only 2 I'd say had ethnic elements (2007 and 2018)... in fact compared to their neighbors in the Caucasus, they're the country which sent least ethnic entries of them all.
fully agree but don't forget about the 2019 masterpiece xheart

Mimmon

Veteran
Good point lol... Wait what was 2019 then ? wasn't ethnic ?

A-lister

Veteran

I actually liked that one (to some extent), although I knew it was dead on arrival.

I feel like the Georgian delegation has this "we don't give a eff" attitude and a bit of pretentiousness... I mean I applaud them for being different, but if you want to you need to back it up with quality which unfortunately most Georgian entries (imo) lack off. Even the more decent entries sound like rough demos tbh xshrug

A-lister

Veteran
Good point lol... Wait what was 2019 then ? wasn't ethnic ?

I mean sure it included that ethnic choir and some very subtle instrumentation at some point, but all in-all it was more of a musical rock ballad (with a quite difficult melody to get into). But ok, I guess we can add it to the list but I'd say it's quite far-stretched.

Not wanting to dance anymore, but I must dance

7c6.jpg

I feel like the Georgian delegation has this "we don't give a eff" attitude and a bit of pretentiousness... I mean I applaud them for being different, but if you want to you need to back it up with quality which unfortunately most Georgian entries (imo) lack off. Even the more decent entries sound like rough demos tbh xshrug

Agree to disagree. As @RainyWoods has mentioned before, the majority of Georgia's participation in ESC has been less about catering to everyone's tastes, but I don't think that's pretentiousness, I think it means that they won't be predictable, so it becomes interesting and exciting to see who gets selected. In that sense, yeah, they do have a "we don't give an eff" attitude. I won't sit here acting like I've loved every Georgian entry, and the ones that I do love...well it's probably me and maybe 5 other people that supported them. While for you they seem "rough demos", to me it's that they're authentic and not produced and perfected to death.

A-lister

Veteran
7c6.jpg

Agree to disagree. As @RainyWoods has mentioned before, the majority of Georgia's participation in ESC has been less about catering to everyone's tastes, but I don't think that's pretentiousness, I think it means that they won't be predictable, so it becomes interesting and exciting to see who gets selected. In that sense, yeah, they do have a "we don't give an eff" attitude. I won't sit here acting like I've loved every Georgian entry, and the ones that I do love...well it's probably me and maybe 5 other people that supported them. While for you they seem "rough demos", to me it's that they're authentic and not produced and perfected to death.

As I said, I do applaud them for doing their own thing and trying different routes. The problem is that the quality of those attempts in most cases have been pretty bad (at least to these ears).

Italy is doing their own thing without the need to follow a certain "Eurovision-formula", but they back it up with well produced entries. Georgia, unfortunately (could be lack of funding), is often interesting in their choices but the execution often lacks of proper productions and compositions.

So yeah, I agree with you that it's great when countries do their own thing, but I can't unhear that their entries often come across as early sketches than finished products.

ag89

It's funny, I still think their best entry was the first they sent: 2007. It's been 14 years now. I appreciate Georgian "we send whatever we want" style, but I think it's time to move on. If they want to send something very Georgian, why not something like this?? I have no idea if this is an old song or something new, but I would like to hear something traditional. Georgia is a big mystery for most people in Europe so why not materialize on that. Look at Shum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M84...io=1&rv=9I5Xrh8FIag&ab_channel=TVIMEDITVIMEDI

A-lister

Veteran
It's funny, I still think their best entry was the first they sent: 2007. It's been 14 years now. I appreciate Georgian "we send whatever we want" style, but I think it's time to move on. If they want to send something very Georgian, why not something like this?? I have no idea if this is an old song or something new, but I would like to hear something traditional. Georgia is a big mystery for most people in Europe so why not materialize on that. Look at Shum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M84...io=1&rv=9I5Xrh8FIag&ab_channel=TVIMEDITVIMEDI

This! While I actually like their 2021 entry (although I am not deluded to think it would succeed), everything between their debut up until now just comes across a bland mess tbh, it's like a chef throwing different type of pasta to see what sticks but all of the pasta has been undercooked so nothing sticks. The ambition is there to trying different things, but the know-how isn't.

I'm still to this date a bit surprised to see how a country could basically enter the strongest debut in ESC history, to just fall flat from there on. I guess "Shine" in 2010 was also a decent entry, but lacking personality unfortunately.

EscGeek

Veteran
Me ignoring the roasting of Georgia above:

e085a04f0b8ec09e47aba2425771c5bf32892f7e.jpg

It felt weird having Georgia outside my top 10. "You" ended 17th for me which is still very decent for most countries. (but for Georgia it's second worst placing)

Slay me once again please. xbow

ag89

I loved Tornike's song last year, it was in my top 3. This year...It was just nothing. In 2016 Georgia was excellent (it was first on my list :) ) , but 2017, 2018 and 2019 were totally boring.

Fluke

They deserve their revenge!

rasmuslights

Veteran

Lizi Jeparizde said she wants to do it when she turns 18... maybe she'll do it next year. And honestly she'd probably be the best georgian entry since 2016.

Sunwell

We have great composers like Niaz but GPB is too dumb to make good decisions, they send low quality songs in recent years.

Would you vote for queen Khatia? This is authentic Georgian folk-rock. We haven't ever sent ethnic song (Iriao & Shin are too experimental)

Top Bottom