11 8.1%

22 16.3%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Phoenix

I have no idea what to do with this one. I want to like it because the song does have a lot of potential, but it feels a bit... wasted? The beginning is very, very promising and the last 30 seconds, when everything flourishes, are pretty great, but at some point this becomes such a drag to listen to. I just completely lose focus of what the hell is even going on in the middle, apart from the fact that he sounds quite bad on the second verse. There is a 'hypnotic' quality to this I guess, just wish it was less confusing.

A-lister

Veteran
A-lister's review:

I'm a bit surprised to say that this happens to be my favorite slow song of the year. I loathed his entry last year and didn't know what to expect this time around, but I didn't expect this at least. It's actually a really competent ballad and it's an interesting combo of both sweet and raw and a pretty beautiful composition all-in-all, but it's the touch of rawness that balances it well because this could have easily sounded cheesy with a more "Pop" touch and vocalist added to it, but here the end product works well instead. This manages to land in my top. 10 this year and probably the best Georgian entry since their debut.

Fierro

Diva Monro on youtube said Tornike Kipiani has written dirty comment about Eurovision yesterday on Facebook and then deleted it. But she saw screenshot and won't review his song.

@AlekS do you know anything about this?

Fluke

Sort of warming up to this now. It definitely has merits, but it's really not that strong overall, it's out of place in the ESC and will fail to excite viewers. It's pretty much sure not to make the final, which i think most of the ones involved with it are aware of, unlike the somewhat similar Macedonian entry :p Just wish they would send more outstanding entries like Iriao & The Shin if they deliberately want to NQ....

RevNet

THE GOOD:
  • This is such a happy song, which is always a good thing to have.
  • I am also digging the song's simplistic sound.
THE BAD:
  • It does get boring in parts.
THE VERDICT:

I don't really have that much else to say about the song. Fans might be a bit turned off by such a simplistic sound, but that's all. 7 points

Shadowfuxcs

This song gives me hope.
Hope that if everything else fails I can become a eurovision lyricist.
Tree - I want to see you
Pavement - I want to touch you
Cupcake - I want to embrace you
Asparagus - I want to love you

Georgia is not even trying and they have not been trying since 2018. A lot of fans like to brand Georgia entries as "different" and say that the country stays "true to itself". That used to be the case as Georgia was indeed one of the most experimental countries when they debuted. At this point they just don't seem to care though. Their past 4 entries have not been different but rather no competent and unremarkable.
The way their entries are perceived by part of the bubble reminds me of the ridiculous ex hi bits in art museums where somebody donates a marmalade jar and it gets branded as contemporary art and simple peasants are not worthy of grabbing the deep meaning behind the artpiece. The truth is, it is still a marmalade jar and this song is still just a juvenile love poem written by a horny 8-year old who just started English classes.
It is nice to see that at least some folks are touched by this. It means that the song manages to some extend to fulfill its purpose. But I am left buffled by how a whole delegation of people gives the green light to something like this to go to eurovision. I find hard to believe that not a single option with a little more personality was on offer. Usually I avoid being this harsh about the product of someone's labour though as I said, I do not sense any labour or care about this. Showing up just for the sake of showing is not gonna cut it.

Last edited:

revallsay

Tornike Kipiani - You - Georgia

I loved his song last year and I am very disappointed with this one. I get the nostalgia in it and it's pureness, but it is not something I would like to listen all the time, just once at time. It will be a nice "break and calm down" moment during the show (in a positive way, like Sobral in 2017). He has got a really powerful voice that is incredible!

5/10

A-lister

Veteran
This song gives me hope.
Tree - I want to see you

Georgia is not even trying and they have not been trying since 2018. A lot of fans like to brand Georgia entries as "different" and say that the country stays "true to itself". That used to be the case as Georgia was indeed one of the most experimental countries when they debuted. At this point they just don't seem to care though. Their past 4 entries have not been different but rather no competent and unremarkable.
The way their entries are perceived by part of the bubble reminds me of the ridiculous ex hi bits in art museums where somebody donates a marmalade jar and it gets branded as contemporary art and simple peasants are not worthy of grabbing the deep meaning behind the artpiece. The truth is, it is still a marmalade jar and this song is still just a juvenile love poem written by a horny 8-year old who just started English classes.
It is nice to see that at least some folks are touched by this. It means that the song manages to some extend to fulfill its purpose. But I am left buffled by how a whole delegation of people gives the green light to something like this to go to eurovision. I find hard to believe that not a single option with a little more personality was on offer. Usually I avoid being this harsh about the product of someone's labour though as I said, I do not sense any labour or care about this. Showing up just for the sake of showing is not gonna cut it.

It's a bit funny, because this is the first Georgian entry in years I actually enjoy. I am one of those who applaud them for being "different" too, however with that said I rarely ended up liking their entries so they're a good example of that just being different isn't enough if you don't have the songs to back up with.

I know lyrically this one is simple, but at least it's not offensively bad as last year's entry's lyrics and I think the simplicity works for the sound they're going with here.

Iker

Veteran
It's a bit funny, because this is the first Georgian entry in years I actually enjoy. I am one of those who applaud them for being "different" too, however with that said I rarely ended up liking their entries so they're a good example of that just being different isn't enough if you don't have the songs to back up with.

I know lyrically this one is simple, but at least it's not offensively bad as last year's entry's lyrics and I think the simplicity works for the sound they're going with here.
This entry has only 75 words in its lyrics! Even Portugal has 60 words more and it is second when it comes to the smallest amount of words used this year. I have learnt it watching some video on youtube recently.

DanielLuis

This song gives me hope.
Tree - I want to see you

It's even more astounding when you see how hard they try at JESC (while still sending different and original entries).

ESC94

Well, I finally listened to the song. I kinda enjoyed his song last year, so I was exited to find out how his new song sounds. Sadly, I´m pretty underwhelmed. :(

These were really the longest three minutes in a veeery long time for me. The song is very slow and calm, too calm for my personal taste, and the choir in the end makes it even worse because it sounds soo cheesy. :sick:

So all in all I can give :ge: only :2: this year, only because unlike :mk: this isn´t as corny and I can listen to it, but that´s it. xbored

A-lister

Veteran
this is hard to tell without camera work. but shame georgia is being overlooked, because I find this ballad more... pleasing than some of the faves. :'(

Second this! Out of the ballads this year, it's actually my favorite... I dunno maybe my taste in ballads differ alot from the general public xshrug

I'm expecting them to flop, but I genuinely think it's the best Georgian entry since 2010 (or even since their debut 2007), so yeah quite unfortunate to see no love for it when it's the first Georgian entry in years I appreciate... oh well...

fango

Second this! Out of the ballads this year, it's actually my favorite... I dunno maybe my taste in ballads differ alot from the general public xshrug

I'm expecting them to flop, but I genuinely think it's the best Georgian entry since 2010 (or even since their debut 2007), so yeah quite unfortunate to see no love for it when it's the first Georgian entry in years I appreciate... oh well...
You are not alone, i like this song too. It is so simple that it is deeply imprinted in my mind. I dreamed that I sang this song in my dream several times, kind of weird. :cool:
Even if Tornike said something a bit controversial...but focus more about the song itself. I don't think it is hateful.
I even think this song stands out in a bunch of fast-paced or high-pitched songs.
Good luck to Georgia....

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Gorgeous. This is what I was waiting for and Tornike hasn't disappointed me. Feels so raw and vulnerable. The staging seems perfectly done. The atmosphere that You creates early on makes me think of Weyes Blood, and you can not receive a bigger compliment from me than that. I'm used to usually being alone when it comes to my Eurovision favourites but it honestly makes me quite sad seeing the treatment Georgia are getting this year. It's Young Georgian Lolitaz all over again, fingers crossed with the same happy, eurofan perturbing ending. Whatever happens though I'm just very grateful to have a song like You at this year's contest.

Top Bottom