9. Sopho Nizharadze - Shine
10. Nodi Tatishvili and Sophie Gelovani - Waterfall
11. Anri Jokhadze – I'm a joker

Mrm

Veteran
Georgia in ESC and this entry.. xbow

LastDreamer

Banned
"Midnight Gold" is the best, because it sounds like possible :uk: entry.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
"Midnight Gold" is the best, because it sounds like possible :uk: entry.

If we didn't suck, yes. I felt so proud when we handed over our jury 12 points to Georgia that year. Although for the first time in many years I like the song my country will send this time. Perhaps a sign of positive things to come.

LastDreamer

Banned
If we didn't suck, yes.
I always wanted to exchange our Russian 2010s entries on ESC / NF songs from your country.
Josh, Bonnie, Engelbert, Molly, Electro Velvet, Darline, Holly Brewer, Holly Tandy.
What a wonderful chain of acts we could have. :love:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
I always wanted to exchange our Russian 2010s entries on ESC / NF songs from your country.
Josh, Bonnie, Engelbert, Molly, Electro Velvet, Darline, Holly Brewer, Holly Tandy.
What a wonderful chain of acts we could have. :love:

Aw bless you for liking my country so much. I do like Bonnie Tyler. I'm a fan of her music. I wish though she'd gone with a rock song that could have pleased more fans that remember fondly her big hits like Total Eclipse Of The Heart. I feel she missed a big trick by going for a nice but standard ballad. Still she's one of my favourites from the 10s who we sent. Engelbert had a lovely song too.

RevNet

As I read throughout the thread, I saw that I may have heard this song incorrectly. Therefore, I have crossed out that part of my critique, along with deleting the parts that talked about the disparity in genres. To be clear, this is a pretty good song and I like its chances as far as it going into the Final. At the time of the writing of this post, in my head, I guess I interpreted some of the vocals as being autotuned and I usually associate that with pop/EDM. Even in the initial posting, I tried hard to not say this. I can see where I was wrong in this interpretation, even without saying what I didn't say. @Ezio and @mauve, I am sorry for this wrong interpretation of mine. To be clear, I still don't care much for those iffy vocals in this song. For future critiques here, I will try to be fairer to the song itself. No more pigeonholing, I hope!

VikingTiger

I havent liked many of Georgias songs in the ESC, they have often been fighting for my last place, the worst of the lot being Three Minutes to Earth.
But this is GOOD! I love this handsome man's voice!! Love the slowness is the way he sings.
yum!!
xheat

Kitakaze

Nobody asked but there’s never been a single song or performance that’s ever made it to my top 10 from Georgia and this year is no exception. I’m glad others appreciate their love for alternative rock but they have a habit of killing their songs lyrically and with shouty vocals. Why not try something else and play to win?

Zonne147

I'm starting to like the lyrics, they are very subjective, I just don't like the way the same sentences are repeated during the song.

For me they aren't about a specific love relationship, but about everyone accepting Georgia (and other "underdogs") as the way they are, not following any kind of stereotype from the popular and ideal European countries (France, Italy, Germany, Spain, UK)

Kitakaze

For me they aren't about a specific love relationship, but about everyone accepting Georgia (and other "underdogs") as the way they are, not following any kind of stereotype from the popular and ideal European countries (France, Italy, Germany, Spain, UK)

That’s what I took the lyrics to mean too. It’s also jarring for me that Tornike feels pressure to model himself after specific nationalities rather than certain universal personality traits or qualities, especially since the irony is the Big 5 always finish notoriously low. Perhaps I’m delving too deeply but the idea that people under-appreciate or undervalue Georgian entries or Georgian culture as a whole strikes me as a very defeatist and entitled mindset. Why the special treatment? It’s almost as if this song at it’s core is resenting their lack of success at the contest, when in fact their track record with 2 top 10’s and 7 qualifications in 12 years is not exactly poor.

I feel as if they haven’t really tried to win in the first place in recent years and don’t really want to as the GPB are just happy dancing to the beat of their own drum. As much as I admire that for the sake of diversity, obviously that doesn’t equate to deserving more success. You can’t have it both ways. Of course there are fans and a sizeable audience for this sort of alternative rock music but I’d rather love to see more of that melting pot of tradition and ethnic-meets-modern Kartvelian culture in place of this (somewhat) sarcastic attempt.

Uto

Veteran
That’s what I took the lyrics to mean too. It’s also jarring for me that Tornike feels pressure to model himself after specific nationalities rather than certain universal personality traits or qualities, especially since the irony is the Big 5 always finish notoriously low. Perhaps I’m delving too deeply but the idea that people under-appreciate or undervalue Georgian entries or Georgian culture as a whole strikes me as a very defeatist and entitled mindset. Why the special treatment? It’s almost as if this song at it’s core is resenting their lack of success at the contest, when in fact their track record with 2 top 10’s and 7 qualifications in 12 years is not exactly poor.

I feel as if they haven’t really tried to win in the first place in recent years and don’t really want to as the GPB are just happy dancing to the beat of their own drum. As much as I admire that for the sake of diversity, obviously that doesn’t equate to deserving more success. You can’t have it both ways. Of course there are fans and a sizeable audience for this sort of alternative rock music but I’d rather love to see more of that melting pot of tradition and ethnic-meets-modern Kartvelian culture in place of this (somewhat) sarcastic attempt.
I don't think this is about Georgian culture, but Georgia wanting to join the EU. They're pretty much in the same boat as Ukraine. The EU doesn't really want to grow even bigger as there are issues with integrating the newer members. Yet, the EU is the only way to provide a solid safety net from Russian influence. Georgia loves 'us', but it's not mutual.

Kitakaze

I don't think this is about Georgian culture, but Georgia wanting to join the EU. They're pretty much in the same boat as Ukraine. The EU doesn't really want to grow even bigger as there are issues with integrating the newer members. Yet, the EU is the only way to provide a solid safety net from Russian influence. Georgia loves 'us', but it's not mutual.

That’s true, ultimately it seems to apply to their conflict over “having” to become more European both politically and culturally within and outside of the Eurovision sphere.

I hate to be negative but for me that doesn’t change the fact the songs ought to be competitive given this is a music competition. The song needs to be able to transcend irrespective of language or politics. Obviously GPB don’t care about that and just want to make a bold statement which is a shame as for me that’s just a wasted effort.

Top Bottom