Veteran
FSC Spin-Off - May 2020: "Best Of: Christmas"

:se: SWEDEN :se:

Carola

Gläns över sjö och strand

oTijrgL.jpg

PRESENTATION:

The Song

Gläns över sjö och strand (Shine Over Lake and Beach), also named Betlehems stjärna (Bethlehem's Star), is a Swedish Christmas carol from 1893.

It was originally released as a poem back in 1891, written by one of Sweden's greatest authors of that time; Viktor Rydberg. Rydberg was part of the Swedish Academy until his death in 1895 (which is one of the Royal Academies in Sweden, comprising the highest Swedish language authority and perhaps best known as the body that chooses the laureates for the annual Nobel Prize in Literature). The poem was then set to music by Swedish composer Alice Tegnér in 1893, a composer who is foremost known for being one of greatest composers of Swedish children's songs during the late 19th century and the first half of the 20th century.

The carol has become one of Sweden's most loved and performed ones of all time and has been recorded in hundreds of different versions throughout the years. The version of the song you hear in this entry is taken from the Christmas album Jul i Betlehem (Christmas in Bethlehem), released in 1999 by Swedish Schlager-Pop and Christian-music singer Carola.

I chose this song because it's one of my personal all-time favorite Christmas songs, and this particular version happens to be one of the best recordings of the song I've heard at least. The song is also a good representation of my home country and its music traditions, combining a composition of a melodic and humble Swedish (Scandinavian)-styled carol -and Christian hymn with Swedish "vis-culture" ("visa" is a type of a traditional Swedish and Scandinavian poetic ballad) and a warm, yet melancholic, melody that has influences from Swedish and Scandinavian folklore. While the song is a local Christmas carol, it is just a too beautiful of a gem not to be internationally acknowledged, so I hope you guys will enjoy it just as much as I do.

Lyrics

Lyrics (English translation)

The Artist

Carola Häggkvist, simply known as Carola, is one of Sweden's most successful and known names on the local music scene and outside of Sweden and Norway (where she is also a household name), and to Eurovision fans in particular, she is mostly known for winning the Eurovision Song Contest 1991 with the entry Fångad av en stormvind (Captured by a Wind Storm).

The now 54-year old got her breakthrough back in 1983 at the age of 16 by winning Sweden's selection for the Eurovision Song Contest; Melodifestivalen, thus representing the country in the European final that year with the entry Främling (Stranger), which earned Sweden a top. 3 position. In 2006, she was chosen for a third time to represent Sweden in the Eurovision Song Contest with the entry Invincible (an English version of her winning entry from Melodifestivalen earlier that year titled Evighet (Eternity)). Carola has entered Melodifestivalen at two other occasions, back in 1990 with the entry Mitt i ett äventyr (Midst of an Adventure), which became the runner-up, and in 2008 in a duet with Swedish singer Andreas Johnson with the entry One Love.

Apart from her entries in Melodifestivalen and the Eurovision Song Contest, Carola is also known for songs like Mickey [1983] (a Swedish version of American singer Toni Basel's 1981 version of British group Racey's 1979 song Kitty), Säg mig var du står (Tell Me Where You Stand) [1983] (a Swedish version of Dutch singer Anita Meyer's 1981 single Why Tell Me, Why), I Believe in Love [2002] and När Löven Faller (When the Leaves Are Falling) [2003]. Taken from the Jul i Betlehem album is also the original Christmas song Himlen i min famn (The Heaven in My Arms), co-written by Carola herself, which in its own right has become a quite popular and known Christmas song in Sweden.

This year, following a career of nearly 40 years, with around 20 studio albums (nine of chich managed to top the Swedish albums chart) released between the years 1983-2016 (including four English language versions of her first albums, four Christmas albums as well as some cover albums) and continues touring and TV appearances, Carola has made a quite significant, yet random, come back to popularity, releasing a new version of her own 1983 cover Säg mig var du står in a duet with Swedish Pop star Zara Larsson. The single has become one of the biggest radio hits of the year in Sweden and also managed a top. 3 position on the official Swedish singles chart, which marks Carola's highest charting single since her 2006 Melodifestivalen winner Evighet topped the chart.​

Last edited:

A-lister

Veteran
FSC Spin-Off - March 2021: "Best Of: Nature"

:dk: DENMARK :dk:
:fo: Faroe Islands :fo:

Eivør

Í Tokuni

5aHRu9R.jpg

PRESENTATION:

Are you ready for some Nordic-Scandinavian mysticism? This edition's entry; Í Tokuni (In the Mist), from Denmark is a haunting and captivating Nordic electro-folk-pop song performed in the Faroese language by Faroese singer Eivør, taken from the singer's 2015-album Slør (Veil).

The now 37-year old singer-songwriter, whose full name is Eivør Pálsdóttir, originally comes from the Faroe Islands (a North Atlantic archipelago and autonomous territory within the Kingdom of Denmark), but has since 2002 been part-time residing in Iceland and even entered the Icelandic national selection to the Eurovision Song Contest back in 2003 as well as being awarded best singer and best performer at the 2003 Icelandic Music Awards (awards normally only given to Icelandic artists).

She debuted with her self-titled solo album back in 2000, and has since released over 15 albums and EP's (including both in her native Faroese as well as in English, with some being English versions of her Faroese-language albums, and also live albums and as part of other musical projects such as the Faroese jazz-ethno music ensemble Yggdrasil and the now disbandment Faroese rock group Clickhaze).

It's hard to put Eivør in one box musically since her musical outputs and various involvements are spanning from pop, rock and jazz to folk and more electronic and experimental music as well as European classical music, and apart from her Faroese and English-language material, she's also been releasing songs in Icelandic, Norwegian, Danish and Swedish.

LYRICS:

LYRICS [ENGLISH TRANSLATION]:

Last edited:

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
:fi: Finland - Nightwish - Storytime

rfEfgpG.jpg

rfEfgpG.jpg

FSC March 2021 Spin-Off: ‘Best Of: Nature’

There are many potential songs from several countries that
I considered for this ‘Best Of: Nature’ Spin-Off edition , but I
finally decided to enter a song I have always liked by a band
I have enjoyed listening to for many years : Nightwish . This
Finnish Symphonic Metal band, was probably the first band
which made me really captivated by this music genre and it
made me look for & discover many other such great bands.

Storytime, is a song which bridges reality & fantasy , in what
I think is a fascinating way. Part of the reality is described in
elements of Nature (incl. Gaia the Earth) & the fantasy takes
you on a journey of imagination and of sound. The video is a
marvel of theatricality and fun , which I have always enjoyed.

Enjoy this powerful Symphonic Metal track by ---Nightwish!---

Lyrics

xheart xheart

Seok-jin

:kr: BTS - Life Goes On :kr:

2707edab3aab7e6ad41557266cb688ee.gif

There were many songs from BTS that I considered for this edition, but I chose this one because of the beautiful message, considering the harsh period we're all going through. The lyrics of the song are uplifting and seeking to provide hope to us during this pandemic.

This is the first song in another language than English from a K-pop Group to debut at No.1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. It is also the lead single from their album "Be".​

A-lister

Veteran
FSC Spin-Off - May 2021: "Non-English Language - Part 2"

:bg: BULGARIA :bg:

Cvetelina Yaneva

Za kontakti

1YXi7qp.jpg

PRESENTATION:

Put on your dancing shoes and let's have a beach party Balkan style! For this edition, I picked the super catchy and summery 2010- Chalga dance bop Za kontakti (For Contact), performed by Bulgarian Chalga and Pop-Folk singer Cvetelina Yaneva.

The entry was produced by one of the most successful Balkan music producers Costi Ioniță from Romania, who to Eurovision fans might be known for being one of the songwriters and producers of Romania's entry to the Eurovision Song Contest 2012; Zaleilah.

Now 31-year old Yaneva, debuted back in 2008 and Za kontakti can be considered her major breakthrough and first big hit in Bulgaria and the Balkans. She has become one of the bigger names on the Bulgarian Chalga scene since, and is known for singles like Vlez (Enter) [2010] (a duet with Romanian Manele singer Ionut Cercel), Broi me (Count Me In) [2011] (a duet together with Iraqi singer Rida Al Abdullah) and her duets with fellow Bulgarian Chalga singer Galena; Pey, sertce (Sing Sweetheart) [2016] and Marrakesh [2018].

What is Chalga? It's a Bulgarian music genre that incorporates various elements from music traditions from Bulgaria's demographic groups including Bulgarian Slavic folk, Romani music and influences from Turkish music blended with contemporary music such as Pop and Dance. The genre is related to other similar musical genres from the region such as the ex-Yugoslav (predominantly Serbian) Turbo-folk, Turkish Arabesque-Pop, Romanian Manele, Greek Modern Laïko and Israeli Mizrahi-Pop, and got introduced in the aftermath of the fall of communism in the country and by the new millenium started to become a force to be reckoned with on the Bulgarian music scene.

LYRICS:

Last edited:

heke1988

FSC Spin-Off - May 2021: "Non-English Language - Part 2"
:fi:Finland:fi:

Haloo Helsinki! - Lady Domina

9a13c668e81ad97ffac658d256f5e5ee3b215654b974785e3cf0fbb4734716f1.jpg

Presentation
Haloo Helsinki! band was formed by Elli Haloo (Elisa Tiilikainen), Jere Marttila, Leo Hakanen and Jukka Solden in 2006. Since then Haloo Helsinki! has became one of the most favourite Finnish language pop-rock band. Now they are presenting Finland with their electro swing-style song: "Lady Domina" (published in 2020). "Lady Domina" tells on, how mankind is destroying the world by its selfishness and how Mother nature "Lady Domina" has gone angry by mankind actions against nature.

Lyrics in Finnish​

Lady Domina​

Ahkerina kuin pienet muurahaiset
Me maailmaa tuhotaan
Jos joku meiltä jotain ottaa pois
Nyrkit pystyssä uhotaan
Juokse, juokse ihminen
On sulla kiire kuluttaa
Ja kun on kaikki varat käytetty
On aika taputtaa

Haloo!
Haloo!

Minä, minä ja mulle lisää
On toive iltarukouksen
Ja jos ei näy luonnonäitiä
Ei Taivaan Isää
Voi tehdä pikku rikoksen

Mut jossain täällä maapallon päällä
On luonnon oma Lady Domina
Se palloaan ja päätään pyörittelee
Ja miettii: “Ei saatana.”

Haloo!
Lady Domina, ruoska sivaltaa
Haloo!
Lady Domina meillä pyyhkii lattiaa
Nyt on säännöt muuttuneet
Voiko meitä enää pelastaa?
On luonnonvoimat suuttuneet
C’mon nyt jatsataan!

Nyt kun ajat ovat muuttuneet
Voit heittää kaikki kellosi pois
Ja koko maailma pikkuhiljaa
Silmänsä avata vois
Niin taivas tulis näkyviin
Ja linnut saisivat laulella
Ja ruoho olis vihreämpää
Aidan kummallakin puolella

Haloo!
Haloo!
C’mon nyt jatsataan!

Jos vastakkain ois väittelyssä
Tekoäly ja Lady Domina
Niinku sähköt sammuu ja koneet kaatu
Niin kuka on voittaja?

Haloo!
Haloo!
C’mon nyt jatsataan!

Haloo!
Lady Domina, kohta ruoska sivaltaa
Haloo!
C’mon nyt jatsataan!

Lyrics in English​

Lady Domina​

Hard-working just like small ants
We are destroying the world
If someone takes something away from us
We bluster with our fists up
Run, run human
You are in a rush to consume
And when all the resources have been used up
It's time to clap

Hello!
Hello!

Me, me and more for me
Is a wish of the evening prayer
And if you can't see Mother Nature
Nor Father in Heaven 1
You can do a little crime

But somewhere on this Earth
There's nature's own Lady Domina
She rolls her ball and shakes her head
And thinks "hell no"

Hello!
Lady Domina, the whip lashes
Hello!
Lady Domina wipes the floor with us
Now the rules have changed
Can we be saved anymore?
Forces of nature are angry
C'mon now we jazz!

Now that times have changed
You can throw away all your watches 2
And the whole world could little by little
Open its eyes
So the sky would become visible
And the birds could sing
And the grass would be greener
On both sides of the fence

Hello!
Hello!
Can we be saved anymore?
C'mon now we jazz!

If in a debate
Artificial intelligence and Lady Domina would face each other
So when electricity goes out and machines fail
So who is the winner

Hello!
Hello!
Can we be saved anymore?
C'mon now we jazz!

Hello!
Hello!
Can we be saved anymore?
C'mon now we jazz!

Last edited:

hawadharma

malaysia-flag-wallpapers-36651-4001790.png

handy-quomte-regular.png

celosia-golden.png

celosia-golden.png

686de2c53cf845f8875d996b9952a631.jpg

Waheeda (Norwahidah binti Abdul Wahab) entered Malaysian music scene in 2003 with her first single "Wassini", an Arabic-Malay pop ethnic fusion song which become an immediate hit, as this concept was relatively new in Malaysia.
Her immediate shot to fame was not only contributed to "Wassini", but she was also the pioneer of hijab-wearing singer in Malaysian mainstream music industry. Until her appearance, hijab wearing singers only involved in spiritual / religious singing (nasyid). She went on to become singer-songwriter and music producer, and continue to produce hit singles such as "Binafsha", "Melodi Ahlan", "Dua Dalam Bahtera", "Senandung Malam", "Cinta", "Mencari" and many others. She also starred in few movies.

After her controversial marriage with a popular preacher (who was already married at the time) in 2009, she decided to resign from entertainment industry and focus on her family.

Lyrics (with English translation)
"Wassini"

Arina maza tara (Tell me, what did you see?)
Hakaza wakaza (This and that)
Mafi ayadeena (What's in your hands?)

Kemana saja, wassini (Everywhere you go, advise me)
Tak kira masa, wassini (Anytime, advise me)
Apapun jua, wassini (Whatever it is, advise me)
Segalanya, wassini (Advise me in everything)

Tak kira siapa, wassini (Whoever it is, advise me)
Tiada sepertinya, wassini (There's nothing like it, advise me)
Apa padanya, wassini (What's in it, advise me)
Segalanya, wassini (Advise me in everything)

Intizar ya leil...ya leili ya leil.. (Wait for me, oh night)
Imtihan ya leil... ya leili ya leil.. (Test me, oh night)
Intizar ya leil... ya leili ya leil.. (Wait for me, oh night)
Imtihan ya leil...ya leili ya leil.. (Test me, oh night)

Lihat dirimu (Look at yourself)
Dalam kesamaran cuba berlari (Trying to run in darkness)
Tanpa ada pengertian (Without any meaning)
Kau kan faham segalanya.. (But you will understand everything)

Last edited:

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
:se: Sweden - Jon Henrik Fjällgren - The Avatar

rfEfgpG.jpg

rfEfgpG.jpg

FSC May 2021 Spin-Off: ‘Non-English Language - Part 2’

There are many potential songs from several countries that
I considered for this ‘Non-English Language - Part 2’ Spin-
Off edition, but in the end I decided on one of my absolute
top favorite non-English songs of 2020, this melody by the
Swedish-Sami singer Jon Henrik Fjällgren. I loved the song
from the first time I heard it , and it remains on my playlist.

The story is an ode to Mother Earth as I understand it and
I think the melody line & harmonies in this piece of music
are gorgeous . He is a very talented singer and artist with
special heritage that he is proud to showcase. I thought it
would be great fun to enter him & this jewel in this edition.

Enjoy this beautiful piece of music by Jon Henrik Fjällgren!

xheart xheart

Zorjan

FSC Mod
Staff member
1200px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
France
1200px-Flag_of_France.svg.png

18373973.jpg

The song “Vois sur ton Chemin” is performed by a choir assembled of boys from Saint-Marc college in Lyon. It’s composed by Bruno Coulais who has won innumerable awards for his film scores.

The song itself was part of the soundtrack to the film “Les Choristes” from 2004 which achieved great success in many countries.
The film takes place in France in 1949 where music teacher Clement Mathieu, portrayed by Gérard Jugnot, end up working in a boarding school for difficult children where the kids are treated with strict and gruesome punishment from the teachers, especially the headmaster. Despite the protests from the headmaster, Mathieu starts a choir educating the children through music instead of violence. One of the new choir members is Pierre Morange, portrayed by Jean-Baptiste Maunier, who has an angelic voice…

It’s definitely worth watching the film and listening to the full soundtrack !

fango

FSC TAIWAN 臺灣 :tw: FSC Spin-Off May 2021

ABAO (阿爆) - Kinakaian (母親的舌頭)

Abao-thumbnail-Featured-image-960x540.png

About :love: ABAO (阿爆) & Kinakaian (母親的舌頭) :love:

Over her fifteen year career, the multi-talented Taiwanese singer-songwriter ABAO has earned a reputation for being one of Taiwan’s most important cultural ambassadors; crossing boundaries to create a shared sense of pride and appreciation for the country’s Indigenous cultures, especially that of her native Paiwan Indigenous group. She has achieved this not just through the sheer charisma and personality which she exudes, but also by combining traditional stories with innovative soundscapes, allowing Indigenous culture to be brought into the contemporary world whilst not losing its uniqueness.

Inspired by her mother who told her that she had to improve her Paiwan language skills, "Kinakaian" which translates as mother tongue, is an album aimed at bringing down the linguistic barriers that separate us, singing in Paiwan, Amis, Taiwanese, Mandarin and English to educate about Taiwan’s Indigenous cultures.

ABAO takes her role as cultural ambassador seriously, and uses many tracks on the record as learning moments to deepen the listeners’ understanding of Paiwan culture. "Kinakaian", a house-inspired dance track where ABAO’s ethereal vocals praise the beauty of her mother-tongue as the song gradually builds up momentum over its five minutes before cascading into violins for its conclusion.

"Kinakaian" is a culturally pioneering record. It’s a musical embodiment of Taiwan’s diversity and a celebration of Indigenous peoples and their rich, varied cultures. Most importantly it molds and merges their languages and traditions with the sounds, styles and topics of contemporary music; showing that Indigenous culture isn’t just a traditional treasure, but one that has a place firmly in the center of contemporary Taiwanese culture. (edited from Matt Taylor's review)

♫♫ ABAO – Kinakaian ♫♫♫♫

Lyrics / Paiwan Language & English Translation

ABAO – "Kinakaian"
ABAO - "Mother Tongue"

inika sun napacun tjanuaken
Even if you never heard of me
ljakua a ku varung i tjanusun
But my faith is with you
langedau… langedau…
Listen… listen…

lemangeda sun tua ku kai
You listen to my voice
kiljavaravaran aken tjanusun
I keep talking to you
langedau…
Listen…

langedau… pacuni… langdau…
Listen… Attentively… Listen…

inika sun napacun tjanuaken
Even if you never heard of me
ljakua a ku varung i tjanusun
But my faith is with you
langedau… langedau…
Listen… listen…

kiljavaravaran aken tjanusun
I keep talking to you
lemangedan sun tua ku kai
Now you finally heard me
langedau… langedau…
Listen… listen…

azua tja kinakaian
Our words are natural
bulay aravac aia
How beautiful it sounds
azua tja kinakaian
Our words are natural
bulay aravac aia
How beautiful it sounds

Abao_Kinakaian_Mother_Tongue.jpg

xcheer :tw: xcheer :tw: xcheer :tw: xcheer :tw: xcheer :tw: xcheer

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
:no: Norway - Marion Ravn - Here I Am

rfEfgpG.jpg

rfEfgpG.jpg

’FSC Spin-Off: 150th Anniversary - Songs by former FSC-participants’

There are many potential songs from several countries &
singers that I could have chosen for this fun celebratory
Spin-Off, but in the end I decided to go for a former FSC-
artist from my home nation Norway. Marion Ravn ( also
known as Marion Raven ) , took part for Norway in FSC
back in April 2011. She's had a quite long music career,
starting in late 1990s , in a female pop-duo called M2M
with another Norwegian pop-artist called Marit Larsen.

2005 she started her solo career and released an album
called “Here I Am” , where she showed a more pop-rock
oriented sound , which differed from M2M’s pop sound.
She had success with this album and it included several
popular songs like f.ex. “Break You”, “End of Me” and the
title track “Here I Am”. A very powerful pop-rock track, it
became an instant favourite among her fans worldwide.
This is the song I have selected as the entry for Norway
in this Spin-Off . Marion Ravn continued her career and
has released several other albums in the years since, &
her music style has also evolved. Most recently she has
released an album in Nowegian with a more Folk sound.

Enjoy this powerful piece of music by Marion Ravn!

xheart xheart

Lyrics

heke1988

:fi: :fi:FSC Spin-Off August 2021 - Finland:fi::fi:

Nightwish - Ever Dream

knr1GpSoLgvfIWtoBvQPJD1sYCnw4Eu9cwrMnwPriyBQXvQv2or7ZAdg4e8cUCJ8to1h6TMxLEm1m9wHXp7x452jgSuW_oVplWY

Songs by former FSC-participants

Shortly and honestly I chose my favourite band "Nightwish" to represent Finland in FSC - Spin-off August "Songs by former FSC-participants. In the picture is old lineup: On the left: Jukka Nevalainen, Tuomas Holopainen, Tarja Turunen, Marko Hietala and Emppu Vuorinen. I chose this picture, because "Ever Dream" was made by this lineup and I wanted to honor this lineup to making and presenting aforesaid song. Moreover "Ever Dream" is my favourite song by Nightwish, so for me it was naturally choice from any of Nightwish's songs.

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
:no: Norway - KEiiNO - Monument

rfEfgpG.jpg

rfEfgpG.jpg

’FSC Spin-Off February 2022: 2nd-placed songs in Eurovision National Selections’

Once again there were several choices to pick from, and
I considered selecting Finland and also Sweden since I
really like some 2nd-placed songs from both countries.
But once I decided I would go with a song from my own
country Norway and our Melodi Grand Prix (MGP) there
was only one choice really for me and that was to bring
KEiiNO to the FSC Spin-Off with their song ‘Monument’.

I love the group and this song also, wish it had won MGP
and represented Norway in ESC for a 2nd time. I think the
video is great as well and I wanted to share it with you all.

Enjoy this melodic folk-pop music by Norwegian KEiiNO!

xheart xheart

Lyrics

A-lister

Veteran
February 2022: "2nd-placed songs in Eurovision National Selections"

:ua: UKRAINE :ua:

Zlata Ognevich

Kukushka

22A6ZRa.jpg

PRESENTATION:

For this spin-off edition, I decided to pick one of my all time favorite entries from a National selection to Eurovision; Kukushka (Little Cuckoo), performed by the one and only Zlata Ognevich. The entry, which is a catchy ethno-Pop song with some quirky twists, finished second in the Ukrainian National selection back in 2011, and I have for this edition chosen to enter the full Ukrainian version of the song.

Now 36-year old Ognevich, whose real name is Inna Leonidivna Bordiuh, is perhaps most known to Eurovision fans for representing her country in the 2013 Eurovision Song Contest with the entry Gravity, which ended third in the final.

Zlata debuted in 2010 by entering the Ukrainian National pre-selection to Eurovision with the English version of the single Ostrov ljubvi, which finished fifth. After her tries to represent Ukraine in Eurovision, and her third-time-charm success, she has established herself in her home country as one of the most popular Pop singers, having released three studio albums to date, hosted the Junior Eurovision Song Contest as well as a short-lived career as a politician.

Apart from the already mentioned songs, Zlata has released a bunch of music throughout the years, including for example the following songs/singles:

Za lisamy, horamy [2013]
Pray for Ukraine [2014]
Kruzheva [2015]
Zapaly vohon' [2015]
Za litom, za vesnoyu [2016]
Tantsyuvaty [2017]
Doloni [2018]
Solodka kara [2019]
Hola pravda [2020]
Okean [2020]
Miy nazavzhdy [2021]

LYRICS:

Last edited:

Bmbriga

SPINOFF- February 2022

CROATIA

Dani Maršan "Ja te volim"
Dora, 1994

maxresdefault.jpg

Đani Maršan is a Croatian musician, born 23rd of June, 1944 in Zadar. He has Albanian roots, both of his parents were born Zadar's neighborhood Arbanasi where Albanian settlers came in the 18th century, mostly from Lake Skadar area. Arbanasi is an archaic Croatian name for Albanians.

He lost his father when he was 9 months old and his mother later remarried to, as he said, a wonderful man and a great father to him and his sister. He also had two younger (half)brothers. His brother Tomislav Ivčić was also a singer and actually more popular in Croatia. Unfortunately, he died in a car crash in 1990. His other brother, who was also a singer, in 2003. By his own words, those are the wounds that would never heal, because he still remembers them being born at home and hearing their first cry in a kitchen as a little boy.
He also said once that their sister Pina had a wonderful voice, but she never persuaded musical career.

f89ec0a63fd5b6b7a035.jpg

He met his wife when he was 18 and they are still together. He also spent his entire career signed to the same record label.

Nothing to do with this promotion, but since representative is from Zadar, I just must add, that Zadar is possibly my favourite town and has the most beautiful sunset on the Croatian cost... And some would argue and beyond.

CL88-Lt-FXAAEiu-A9.jpg

Back to Dani Maršan. :)

He served as a merchant navy officer for two years. In 1969 he graduated from College for foreign trade in Zagreb. He actively speaks English and Italian, and also uses German, Russian and Albanian language. Because of that he also worked in diplomacy and was consul in Italy and Australia.

Till now he he had recorded and released about 30 EPs, ten albums and five CDs. With Croatian, he also records on Italian, English and German. He also jokes that he was more popular in former DDR, than in Croatia. He is the author of lyrics and music for more than 80 songs.

He has been rewarded often, most from professional music juries, on Croatian festivals (Zagrebfest, Festival zabavne glazbe Split, Melodije Istre i Kvarnera, Melodije hrvatskog Jadrana, Dalmatinska šansona Šibenik) and on international scene: 1972. in Paris (Grand Prix de Paris International), 1974. in Dresden (International Schlager Festival), 1978. in Rostock (Festival Menschen und Mehre).

He has played al over the world, more than 60 times in the USA, 13 times in Australia, three times in New Zealand, 12 times in former DDR, six times in former USSR, and on numerous festivals throughout the western Europe.

His musical genre is Dalmatian chanson.

The song "Ja te volim" (English "I love you) came second in Dora 1994. It's a chanson sang to a woman who is ready to leave the town. The man is looking for her and pleading with her not to board the train. He's poor and while he knows other can offer her "cities and unknown shores", he's offering her all his music and verses and just love.

Lyrics- Croatian

Lyrics- English

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
:se: Sweden - Linda Bengtzing & Velvet - Victorious

rfEfgpG.jpg

rfEfgpG.jpg

’FSC June 2022 Spin-Off - Best Of: Summer Songs’

Many songs & countries to select from once again
for this ‘Summer Songs’ Spin-Off but I finally went
for a Swedish song by Linda Bengtzing & Velvet. I
have for many years been a fan of Swedish MF &
specially the schlager-style songs found there & I
thought it would be fun to enter a song that both
'mirrors' MF (even if this song never took part) &
gives true Summer-feelings too in sound & video

Linda Bengtzing and Velvet are both artists I have
enjoyed music by and I thought it could be cool to
share this happyfun song which I love with you all

Enjoy this catchy and melodic ‘Summer Song’!

xheart xheart

Lyrics

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
:it: Italy - Gabry Ponte - La Danza delle Streghe

rfEfgpG.jpg

rfEfgpG.jpg

’FSC February 2023 Spin-Off - Best Of: Growers’

There were several songs for me to choose from in
this category but the one that came to the forefront
of my mind was this Italobeat song by Gabry Ponte.

Not only because it was a typical ‘Grower’ for me, a
song which did not captivate me the first few times
I listened to it but which I liked better & better every
time I heard it & ended up loving it but also because
it in many ways spearheaded a love for Club/Dance
Techno/Trance style music which I had not listened
much to until then & so it was a Gamechanger also

Gabry Ponte is an Italian DJ/artist of Eiffel 65 fame
and I enjoy several of his - and the former group’s -
melodies but this one is definitely my top favourite

Enjoy this catchy and melodic ‘Club-banger’!

xheart xheart

Lyrics

Geborgenheit

:fr: Paloma, Marc Bret-Vittoz - Love, l'artère

Love, l'artère is a song composed for a short film Paloma. Just after stealing the urn containing the ashes of her deceased lover, Paloma, a colorful drag queen, meets Mike, a silent and melancholy trucker. They will share part of the road in a truck to Paris. A day and a night together to overcome their loneliness. The film can be streamed online worldwide on www.myfrenchfilmfestival.com until 13 February. This year, the MyFrenchFilmFestival will take place for the 13th time, offering the audience a competition of 10 full-length and 10 short films (including one Belgian full-length film and a short film). Internet users are invited to vote for the best film, as well as comment on it on social networks.

160c773c-phpwsk25m.jpg

hawadharma

:my:
MALAYSIA
FSC Spin Off: May 2023
"Best of 2000-2010"

Screen-Shot-2022-05-31-at-10.14.45-AM-696x385.png

Artist: Anita Sarawak
Song: "Seksis"
Released: 2003

Anita Sarawak is one of Malaysian legendary singers of all time. She is one of the few who has produced albums/singles each decade for 4 decades (aside from Ramlah Ram, M. Nasir, Sharifah Aini)

She was born to Malaysian film director, S. Roomai Noor (from Pahang, Malaysia) and Malaysian legendary actress Siput Sarawak (from Sarawak, Malaysia). She was born and bred in Singapore as Singapore was the centre of movie industry at that time and still part of Malaysia until 1963. However, her singing career was made possible in Malaysia.

Her half sister, Noor Kumalasari is also a singer and an actress (from another mother, Umi Kalthum who was also an actress and once quoted as the Most Beautiful Woman in Asia by Life Magazine). Currently, she is categorised as "missing" from the music industry. Nobody knows where she lived (and whether she is still alive), however her sister Noor Kumalasari said they did talk on the phone for 30 minutes recently despite not knowing about her location.

Her single "Seksis" is ahead of its time. Released in 2004, this upbeat song is a woman empowerment song which highlights how women is continuously discriminated in a man's world.

Lyrics (with English Translation)

Bila ku bersuara kau kategorikan sebagai meleter
(When I voice out my opinion, you categorise it as nagging)
Bila kau tercabar sebelum bertarung pun ku dah kau singkir
(When you feel challenged, you kick me out even before the fight starts)
Tika di jalanan cermat ke cuai, "stereotype lady driver"
(On the road, careful or clumsy, "stereotypical lady driver")
Bila tunjuk pandai lagakmu hebat, Mengalahkan seorang professor
(When you want to show off your intelligence, your act beats a professor)

Bridge:
Oh mana keadilannya
(Oh, where is the justice?)
Balik-balik kita saja terkena
(It's always us who gets beaten)
Dahulu hingga kini
(From then until now)
Kau memonopoli, cuba menguasai
(You monopolise, and try to control)
Duniaku ini, oh mana aci
(My world, this is not fair!)

Chorus:
Jangan pandangku sebelah mata
(Don't look down on me)
Hanya kerna namaku wanita
(Just because I'm a woman)
Walau ada kelemahannya
(I may have weaknesses)
Engkau pun apa tidaknya
(But so does you)
Jangan pandangku sebelah mata
(Don't look down at me)
Nanti kejantananmu tercabar
(Your masculinity will be challenged)
Takkan ku menyerah kalah
(I will never back up)
Kerana matamu berat sebelah
(Just because you're judgemental)
Tohmahanmu akan ku tepis
(I will ignore your insults)
Selagi persis, tak terkikis seksis
(As long as we're even, sexists got nothing on me)

Pabila ku ramah manis lidah
(When I'm friendly and sweet talks)
Kau tuduh ku perempuan murah
(You say I'm a whore)
Namun bila kau menutup helah
(But when you cover your tracks)
Katamu mengikut sunnah
(You say it's normal)
Andai ku meniang rumah tangga
(If I became the pillar of the household)
Jangan harap ucapan tahniah
(Don't expect any congratulations from you)
Hujung bulan tiba ku tuntut nafkah
(When I ask for my share every month's end)
Kau buat ku macam peminta sedekah
(You treat me like a beggar)

Oh, mana keadilannya
(Oh where is the justice)
Balik-balik kau juga juara
(It's always you who wins)
Asyik kita memberi saja
(We're the only ones who gives)
Melayan takhta
(Serving the kingdom)
Siang malam ditatang penuh setia
(Treating you day and night, with loyalty)
Bagaikan raja
(Like you're a king)

(repeat chorus)
(repeat bridge)
(repeat chorus)​

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
:ua: Ukraine - Ruslana - Dance With The Wolves

rfEfgpG.jpg

rfEfgpG.jpg

’FSC Spin-Off - Best Of: 2000-2010’

There were once again many countries and songs to
choose from , but in the end , I did decide to enter an
artist who has impressed me ever since her ESC-win

Ruslana conquered with her “Wild Dances” in 2004
with an iconic song & performance, and the energy
& power in that song is also reflected in her melody
& video-performance , of “Dance With The Wolves”.

Besides being a singer Ruslana is also a songwriter,
dancer, producer, actress, activist, and ex-politician.
She is also a " People's Artist of Ukraine ", honorary.

Enjoy this powerful & catchy song & performance!

xheart xheart

Lyrics

Top Bottom