Contact us

FSC Spin-Off - August 2021: "Songs by former FSC-participants" - The Show | RESULTS from page 2

Zorjan

FSC Mod
Staff member
1200px-Flag-map_of_Madagascar.svg.png
Welcome-to-Madagascar.jpg
1200px-Flag-map_of_Madagascar.svg.png

To celebrate this anniversary edition of Forum Song Contest we've filled out our traveller's forms and escaped the fear of COVID-19 to find ourselfs on this beautiful island

Nosy-Tanikely-1-1024x681.jpg

The Republic of Madagascar is an island state located in the Indian Ocean, around 400 kilometers from the coast of Mozambique.
With its 590,000 km², the main island, also called Madagascar, is the fourth largest island on earth.
Though it's hard to estimate the exact amount of inhabitants in the country, there are slightly less than 30 million people.

madagascar1.jpg

Before the arrival of humans about 1,800 years ago, there were many large and unusual animals living there, descended from species that were originally present when Madagascar became an island or later crossed the sea to Madagascar. Ecological niches are filled by animals with a different history from those on the African continent, often leading to convergent evolution. A large proportion of these endemic Malagasy animals have died after the arrival of humans, particularly megafauna.

It is believed that there were only four events of colonization of terrestrial mammals from the African continent who were the ancestors of the tenrecs, the lemurs, the Malagasy carnivores and the nesomyinaes.

Despite this and massive deforestation, Madagascar is still home to an incredible amount of wildlife, the vast majority of which is unique in the world. That makes Madagascar a primary destination for ecotourism with more than 50 national parks and other protected reserves.

510.jpg

Malagasy history:

The first human settlement probably dates from the fourth century. The ancestors of the Malagasy came from Indonesia, which is why the island's inhabitants retain Asian features, customs typical of Southeast Asia, and a language of the Malaysian-Polynesian branch. Their animals also arrived with them, including the zebu, and shortly after their arrival several endemic animals of the island became extinct, such as the giant lemur, the Madagascar anteater and a pygmy hippopotamus similar to the one currently found in West Africa.
Subsequently, there were Bantu migrations from the African mainland that were integrated into the local population, especially in the eastern part of the island. At the beginning of the Middle Ages came the first Persian traders and around the year 1000, the Arabs. This is why Islam is currently practiced in the northern part of the island.

image.jpg

Over the next two centuries, Portugal, Spain, the United Kingdom, and France attempted to settle on the coast, but were driven out by the resistance of the natives, who by the end of the seventeenth century had unified under the Kingdom of Merina.
Eventually, the French came to build trading bases on the Malagasy coast. During the Napoleonic Wars, King Radama I of Merina, however, decided to side with the British who increased their influence on the island at the expense of the French and trained the natives in the use of modern weapons. After the death of Radama I in 1828 the British were persecuted, including missionaries.

1*nsXFeFo4Yx6y6qZpKgu2dQ.jpeg

During the reign of Radama II (1861-1863) a series of modern reforms were introduced and yet again Madagascar opened up to contact with the French and British. France managed to annex the island completely in 1895, after defeating Queen Ranavalona III who went into exile a year later, while a French military mandate was being instituted and Madagascar was proclaimed a French colony.

Despite problems with nationalist secret organizations, France managed to keep control of the island until 1942 when the British occupied it during the Battle of Madagascar to prevent Japan from using the ports of Madagascar. In 1943 it was handed over to Free France and in 1946 it ceased to be a colony and became one of the French overseas territories. This did not prevent a revolt from erupting the following year that forced France to call elections on the island which were won by moderate pro-independence activists. In 1960 Madagascar became fully independent of France and a republic was established under the government of Philibert Tsiranana, leader of the Social Democratic Party.

4fd49304b81ff735e29a8d0d54a4c9b4.jpg

In 1975 there was a military coup that put the government in the hands of Captain Didier Ratsiraka, who ruled with an iron fist until popular pressure forced the appointment of a transitional democratic government. But Ratsiraka kept on ruling the country as the president on and off for decades.

After the 2001 presidential election Ratsiraka’s rival, the mayor of Antananarivo Marc Ravalomanana, declared himself the winner. Ratsiraka and his supporters were not happy about that!
The tension of the first half of 2002 could possibility lead to a civil war. The Malagasy society and the army itself split in two, with the capital Antananarivo converted in favor of Ravalomanana, while Ratsiraka led a government in the coastal city of Toamasina. The international community made several calls for dialogue. Ravalomanana managed to consolidate his power, while Ratsiraka was losing support. In June 2002 countries such as the United States, Switzerland and Norway already recognized the Ravalomanana government, and later a broader international recognition confirmed Ravalomanana's power. Ratsiraka fled the country and took refuge in France.

Since the consolidation of power by Marc Ravalomanana, the country has managed to reach very high levels of economic growth, supported by very large grants from international institutions such as the World Bank.
On 16th March 2009, however, Ravalomanana was removed from office in a military coup and replaced by Andry Rajoelina who is still the president of Madagascar now.

girl-with-traditionally-painted-face-madagascar-picture-id1126998177

Our host city and venue: Antananarivo and the Mahamasina Municipal Stadium

Antananarivo, known during the time of the annexation of France by the name Tananarive, is the capital of Madagascar. The city and its suburban areas have about 2.3 million inhabitants, but as in many other African cities it’s hard to tell the exact number.
Antananarivo is located in the central part of Madagascar about 1275 meters above sea level, overlooking a fertile plain. It is 145 kilometers from the east coast and 215 kilometers west-southwest of Toamasina, the island's main port, which is connected by rail. Antananarivo is crossed by rivers like Ikopa Betsiboka and hosts the historic palace that was the residence of Queen Ranavalona II. It is the main commercial center of a growing region, where local industries are engaged in the processing of product like tobacco, textiles and leather.

6f363d41-city-16091-1658727f758.jpg

Antananarivo was founded at some point between 1610 and 1625 by King Andrianjaka and in the nineteenth century became the first capital of the Merina Kingdom (later the Kingdom of Madagascar) and then eventually the French colony. Unlike most African capitals, Antananarivo was already a large city before the colonial era.
Until 1869 all the town buildings were built mostly of wood, but even back then a few buildings in the town were of considerable size. The largest building was 37 meters high. Following the introduction of stone and brick, the entire city has been rebuilt and now features numerous European-style structures.
Antananarivo means "City of a Thousand", named after the number of soldiers assigned to guard King Andrianjaka. Today it’s commonly shortened by the locals to “Tana”.

AF1QipNUF4gsEoaKiraeTGQvzz0bYs5c4XP0E7qNhOBW=s1600-w400

Our venue is the Malagasy national stadium, Mahamasina Municipal Stadium. It’s a multi-purpose stadium used for many concerts. The main events at the stadium, however, are football and rugby matches, and all home games are played here. The max capacity of the stadium is 40,880 for such matches.
Sadly, the stadium is most renown for the many deaths by stamping which has happened nearly every year recently.

So be careful when you’re entering the stadium!

Hosts:

To celebrate FSC’s 150th anniversary three former winners of “A Night With The Stars” have agreed to come to Antananarivo, not only to perform their winning FSC-entries, but also to host the show:

Calum Scott is a famous British singer who rose to fame in 2015 when he finished 6th in “Britain’s Got Talent” and had a major hit in the country in 2016 with his cover of Robyn’s “Dancing On My Own”. In 2017 he once again went to the top of the charts with “You Are The Reason” which he did both as a duet with former X Factor winner Leona Lewis and as a solo. The latter ended up winning FSC #109 in March 2018 and was later voted the best top-3 entry of all that year.

Imelda May is a singer from Dublin, Ireland. Though she started her career performing already at the age of 16, she didn’t release her debut album before turning 29. Since then she has released five more albums, several of them receiving either awards or topping the charts. One of her albums “Life Love Flesh Blood” peaked at #2 in the Irish charts and contains the singe “Black Tears” which went on to win FSC #103 in September 2017, and eventually crowned winner of “A Night With The Stars 2017”.

Taras Topolya is a Ukrainian singer. While studying at Academy of Internal Affairs in 2007, he and his band “Antytila” participated in the television project “Chance”, but they didn’t win. It did, however, get other Ukrainian artists to recognize the band, and in 2008 they started cooperating with the production center “Catapult Music”, and has since released several albums. In 2019 “Antytila” released the song “HELLO” which both managed to win FSC #126 in August 2019 and “A Night With The Stars 2019”.

And now it's time for YOUR entries !

Halfway through we'll give a warm welcome to tonights interval act,

the Malagasy singer Ninie Doniah !

And now on with the show...

That's nearly it...

...but we'll end the show in proper "Lys Assia being dragged to every eurovision until she dies"-style with Alesha Dixon singing the very first FSC-winner song !

Voting will start tomorrow, on 16th August
Voting is done in typical Eurovision-style: 1-8 points, 10 points and 12 points for your favorite!
Votes can be submitted by participating members to me, Zorjan, by pm

In order not to clash with regular FSC you'll only have slightly more than 1 week to vote:

Voting deadline on 24th August, 23.59 CET

Confirmed votes:

:rs::jp::uk::mx:
:tw::az::fi::hr:
:no::au::br::my:
:se::lt::ru::ua:

Last edited:

Zorjan

FSC Mod
Staff member
@Lietuvis was right ! We WERE going to Madagascar ! :D

And yet again, I'm so sorry for posting the show this late!
...I didn't expect to miss my flight and be stranded in the Baltics

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
Good job with the Show, @Zorjan! xup

Looks to be a fun 150th Anniversary Spin-Off edition with many famous artists. Look forward to listening to the songs
tqcd9Op.gif

AlekS

Veteran
xlove to such beaituful show, and xkiss @Zorjan for the efforts. I will vote in a sec.

At first I wanted to say that LOBODA is ineligible (at yesterday's concert here she even said that she's Ukrainian and she made a mistake when she toured Russia).
But I totally don't mind having 2 Ukrainian entries, a host and myself behind another country's entry. Mafia :sneaky:

Zorjan

FSC Mod
Staff member
xlove to such beaituful show, and xkiss @Zorjan for the efforts. I will vote in a sec.

At first I wanted to say that LOBODA is ineligible (at yesterday's concert here she even said that she's Ukrainian and she made a mistake when she toured Russia).
But I totally don't mind having 2 Ukrainian entries, a host and myself behind another country's entry. Mafia :sneaky:
Thank you!

It took me ages to decide whether I should allow LOBODA to enter for Russia, but as Moldovan Dan Balan was eligable to represent Romania in FSC a few years ago because of his close connections to the country work-wise, I thought it would be alright to accept LOBODA as the Russian entrant because of VIA Gra's popularity in Russia too ;)
If I knew, she'd said something THAT anti-Russian at a concert, I probably wouldn't have though

A-lister

Veteran
I guess it goes without saying, but just asking since it wasn't specified but you can't vote for your own entry right? @Zorjan

heke1988

@A-lister In common sense no: If it is allowed, logically it would mean, our all :12: points will go to our own entry:ROFLMAO:.

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
Malagant's Votes for this FSC #150 celebratory Spin-Off edition have been sent!

Good luck, everyone! xup

heke1988

hawadharma

OMG I almost forgot about this spinoff.. Great show and entries! xcheer

Top Bottom