FSC Norway

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
FSC #125 July 2019 - Norway

xptC4rp.gif

FSC Norway - July 2019 - Kamferdrops - Fuck you, jag älskar dig

iGt4pbC.jpg

Representing Norway in FSC July 2019 is a New artist for Norway in the FSC, the talented Scandipop-artist Kamferdrops (alias Heidi Musum). Here is some more information about her.

Heidi Musum (born in Oslo, Norway 1993), better known by her stage name Kamferdrops, is a Norwegian singer, artist and songwriter. She first achieved recognition in Sweden and Norway in 2017, after her cover of Ole Ivars and Kikki Danielsson's popular 1999 Swedish dansband/schlager-song "Jag trodde änglarna fanns" which became a number-two hit in Sweden and top forty hit in Norway, as well as the great achievement of being streamed on the internet several million times. She also released a cover-version of the famous Swedish hit “Tusen bitar” that same year.

Kamferdrops is known for almost always wearing a mask on stage and most often while making public appearances, and her songs are almost always sung in Swedish. These have become her trademarks. In fact, she appeared anonymous beneath her mask at the beginning of her career (also giving anonymous interviews to the press) and many in the public and media wondered what her real name was and who this new artist could be. Finally it was revealed who Kamferdrops were, Heidi Musum from Norway assisted by Kristoffer Tømmerbakke best known from the Norwegian rap-duo Erik & Kriss.

Heidi moved to Sweden in her teens to get into the music business and subsequently was picked up by Ten Music Group, a Swedish record company who also have famous Swedish singers like Zara Larsson among their artists. She released a debut-single “Do You See” in 2016 but first gained recognition in 2017 with the aforementioned Swedish cover-songs. More recently, in 2018 Kamferdrops competed in Melodifestivalen 2018 with the song "Solen lever kvar hos dig". She was eliminated after she placed sixth in the first semi-final but gained further recognition in Scandinavia and the song entered the Swedish singles charts though at the lower end.

In 2019 she released a new single in March, called “Ligga”, a popular Scandipop melody, and then in June 2019 she released her newest single, “Fuck you, jag älskar dig”, another catchy Scandipop summer-banger in the Swedish language. This is the song chosen by the Norwegian jury as the Norwegian entry here in FSC July 2019.

Kamferdrops has without doubt had the most success and publicity in Sweden so far, perhaps not surprisingly since her song material is mostly in Swedish and that is where she has lived and focused her career, but she is slowly building a reputation in her homeland Norway too and we will without doubt hear more from her in the years to come, here and elsewhere.

The Norwegian entry for FSC #125 July 2019, called “Fuck you, jag älskar dig” (“Fuck you, I love you”, in English), is a brand new and catchy Scandipop summer-banger, written by the Norwegian artist Kamferdrops herself (Heidi Musum) along with Kristoffer Tømmerbakke and Erik Smaaland, and performed in the Swedish language by Kamferdrops. This is the first Norwegian artist song ever in the FSC in our 10 years in the contest performed in Swedish, so it is unique in that regard. The Norwegian jury is happy to enter Kamferdrops in the FSC for Norway.

Below are the Swedish lyrics for the song and a translation into English. Hope you’ll enjoy the Norwegian entry for July!
tqcd9Op.png

yQwRxUC.gif

Kamferdrops - Fuck you, jag älskar dig

Vi är allt, vi är inget / We are everything, we are nothing
Vi är luft, vi är minnen / We are air, we are memories
Vi är slut, vi är för alltid / We are finished, we are forever (eternal)
Vi har tusen gånger till vi är aldrig / We have a thousand times ‘till we are no more

När världen sover och natt blir till dag / When the world sleeps and night turns into day
Är det alltid du och jag som är kvar / It is always you and I who are left
För inga andra har det vi har / ‘Cause no one else has what we have
När vi bråkar, vi längtar, vi ler / When we fight, when we are longing, when we laugh

Vi åker inte hem tills det blivit dag igen / We don’t go home before it is day again
Vi ska brinna ned hela himmelen / We are going to burn down the whole sky
Du gör mig galen, du är inget bra för mig / You make me crazy, you are no good for me
Så fuck you, baby, jag älskar dig / So fuck you, baby, I love you

När världen sover och natt blir till dag / When the world sleeps and night turns into day
Du gör mig galen, du är inget bra för mig / You make me crazy, you are no good for me

Vi är här, vi är drömmar / We are here, we are dreams
Vi är hela, vi är sönder / We are whole, we are broken
Vi är slut, vi är för alltid / We are over, we are forever (eternal)
Vi har tusen gånger till vi är aldrig / We have a thousand times ‘till we are no more

När vi bråkar, vi längtar, vi ler / When we fight, when we are longing, when we laugh

Vi åker inte hem tills det blivit dag igen / We don’t go home before it is day again

Åker inte hem tills det blivit dag igen / Don’t go home before it is day again

Id2mrPs.gif

-M​

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
FSC #126 August 2019 - Norway

xptC4rp.gif

FSC Norway - August 2019 - Alan Walker ft. Sabrina Carpenter & Farruko - On My Way

7aZadSn.jpg

Representing Norway in FSC August 2019, and returning to the FSC for Norway after 7 months, is the talented young, very popular British-Norwegian Electronic Dance Music (EDM) -Producer and artist Alan Walker, this time featuring Sabrina Carpenter & Farruko on vocals. Here is some more information about them.

Alan Walker (born 24th August 1997) is a British-born Norwegian Record Producer and artist in the Electronic Dance Music (EDM)-genre. Born in Northampton, England of an English father and Norwegian mother, he and his family moved to Norway in 1999 at the age of two. He has since (for 17 years) lived in Bergen, Norway and has made his music career here.

His worldwide digital song and EDM-hit "Fade" gained attention after its release on YouTube via the label NoCopyrightSounds (NCS). The tracks "Spectre" and "Force" followed in 2015. He then signed with MER Musikk under Sony Music Sweden and his first single under that label was "Faded", a remastered vocal version of "Fade", released in December 2015.

Alan Walker gained worldwide attention. As of June 2016, "Faded" had over 356 million views on YouTube, an incredible feat. His new EDM-song "Sing Me To Sleep" (featuring Iselin Solheim again on vocals) came in 2016. This was the song chosen by the Norwegian jury as the Norwegian entry in FSC July 2016. In December 2016 Alan Walker released a new single, called “Alone”. It featured the Swedish singer Noonie Bao on vocals. It was another melodic song in his typical musical style which gained huge popularity. This was the Norwegian entry in FSC February 2017.

At the beginning of the new year 2017, Alan Walker's YouTube channel became the most subscribed channel registered in Norway, after passing about 4.5 million subscribers. In May 2017 he released the single “Tired” featuring vocals by Gavin James while the song “Spectre” (based on one of his earlier songs) followed in September 2017. Then in October 2017 he released a new original EDM-single “All Falls Down” featuring Noah Cyrus and Digital Farm Animals on vocals. This was the Norwegian entry in FSC December 2017.

In 2018 Alan Walker featured on a song by Norwegian producer X-391 called “Ignite” released in May 2018 (the Norwegian entry in FSC July 2018) and also released 2 new singles: “Darkside” in July 2018, and “Diamond Heart” (see more info below) in September 2018. “Diamond Heart”, which featured Swedish Sophia Somajo on vocals, was the Norwegian entry in FSC January 2019.

Alan Walker an album called “Different World” in December 2018 which included most of his singles as well as many new songs (among them a new single called “Lily”), with some variety within his style and genre.

In spring (March) of 2019 he then released a new single called “On My Way” which featured Sabrina Carpenter & Farruko on vocals. The song was in his traditional EDM-style but with a little ‘twist’ in that part of the vocals were in Spanish (usually they are all in English). This is the song chosen by the Norwegian jury as the Norwegian entry here in FSC August 2019.

He is certainly a talented young Producer/artist in the EDM-genre, with huge worldwide popularity not the least on digital media/YouTube and similar online sites, from whom we will without doubt hear more in the future.

Sabrina Carpenter is a young American singer and actress. She is signed to Hollywood Records. Her debut EP ‘Can't Blame a Girl for Trying’ was released in 2014, and she has since released three full-length albums: ‘Eyes Wide Open’ (2015), ‘Evolution’ (2016), and ‘Singular: Act I’ (2018). Her fourth studio album, ‘Singular: Act II’, was just released in July 2019. Sabrina Carpenter has been described as a "teen pop" singer who has explored through other genres on different albums including pop, folk pop, acoustic and country. She featured on Alan Walker’s new single “On My Way” in spring 2019 and starred in one of the two official videos made for the song.

Farruko is a Puerto Rican singer and songwriter. He rose to fame collaborating with heavyweight artists such as Daddy Yankee, Jory, and J Alvarez. He came to prominence in 2010 with his debut studio album, ‘El Talento Del Bloque’. He was nominated for the Latin Grammy Award for Best Urban Music Album in 2012. In the Summer of 2014, Farruko's success would be forever changed by his new songs, "Passion Whine" and "6 AM", both with J Balvin, reaching spots 1 and 2 respectively. He has been the lead singer or a feature on many of the top performing songs of the past few years. He featured on Alan Walker’s new single “On My Way” in spring 2019 and starred in one of the two official videos made for the song.

The Norwegian entry for FSC August 2019, “On My Way”, is another melodic EDM-song by British-Norwegian EDM-Producer and artist Alan Walker ft. Sabrina Carpenter & Farruko on vocals. The Norwegian jury is happy to enter Alan Walker again in the FSC for Norway.

Below are the English (and partly Spanish) lyrics for the song. Hope you’ll enjoy the Norwegian entry for August!
tqcd9Op.png

yQwRxUC.gif

Alan Walker ft. Sabrina Carpenter & Farruko - On My Way

[Sabrina Carpenter:]
I'm sorry but
Don't wanna talk
I need a moment before I go
It's nothing personal

I draw the blinds
They don't need to see me cry
'Cause even if they understand
They don't understand

So then when I'm finished
I'm all 'bout my business
And ready to save the world
I'm taking my misery
Make it my bitch
Can't be everyone's favorite girl

So take aim and fire away
I've never been so wide awake
No, nobody but me can keep me safe
And I'm on my way

The blood moon is on the rise
The fire burning in my eyes
And I'm on my way

[Farruko:]
Lo siento mucho (Farru), pero me voy
Porque a tu lado me di cuenta que nada soy
Y me cansé de luchar y de guerrear en vano
De estar en la línea de fuego y de meter la mano
Acepto mis errore', también soy humano
Y tú no ve' que lo hago porque te amo

Pero ya (Ya) no tengo más na' que hacer aquí
Me voy, llegó la hora 'e partir
De mi propio camino, seguir lejos de ti

And I'm on my way

And I'm on my way

[Farruko:]
(I'm on my way)

Everybody, everybody keep me safe ( x 4 )

Everybody, everybody on my way

And I'm on my way

And I'm on my way

Id2mrPs.gif

-M​

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
FSC #127 September 2019 - Norway

xptC4rp.gif

FSC Norway - September 2019 - Sirenia - Glowing Embers

8eYk8tt.jpg

Representing Norway in FSC September 2019, and returning to the FSC for Norway after a short period, is the famous Norwegian Symphonic Metal-band Sirenia. Here is some more information about them.

Sirenia, named after the Sirens of Greek mythology, was founded in 2001 by the Norwegian musician Morten Veland (who also has a one-man Metal-band called Mortemia), after he left the Norwegian Gothic Metal band Tristania due to musical disagreements and personal differences.

The band has had several changes in members over the years, but the current members of Sirenia are:

Morten Veland (band founder; songwriter, guitar, male growl vocals, synth-programming)
Jan Erik Soltvedt (guitar)
Nils Courbaron (guitar)
Emmanuelle Zoldan (female vocals)

Their 1st album was “At Sixes and Sevens” in 2002. Sirenia’s 2nd album “An Elixir For Existence” came in 2004 plus one EP “Sirenian Shores” also in 2004. For these albums Sirenia recruited the Norwegian singer Henriette Bordvik. Sirenia sounded on their first albums like a mixture of hard Goth Metal/Rock with Symphonic and also Black/Death metal elements.

Their album “Nine Destinies and a Downfall” was released in February 2007. This album had a ‘softer’ Symphonic Rock/Metal sound and Sirenia introduced a new female singer, Danish Monika Pedersen, after Henriette Bordvik left. In 2009 they released an album called “The 13th Floor”. With this album Sirenia once again changed female vocalist, Spanish Ailyn taking over.

In 2011 Sirenia released a new album “The Enigma of Life”. It included “All My Dreams”, the Norwegian entry in FSC March 2011, and “Fading Star”, the Norwegian entry in FSC August 2011. In May 2013 a powerful and epic Symphonic Metal song called “Seven Widows Weep” was released as a new single. It became the Norwegian entry in FSC August 2013. The new album “Perils of the Deep Blue” was released in June 2013. It included also the melodic Metal-song “My Destiny Coming To Pass” which became the Norwegian entry in FSC February 2014.

The 2015-album “The Seventh Life Path” was released in May 2015. It included the Symphonic ‘Gothic’ Metal song “Serpent” which was the Norwegian entry in FSC June 2015. In August 2016 Ailyn left Sirenia and they chose Emmanuelle Zoldan, an opera-trained and -educated singer who they had worked with for long (in the Sirenia choir), as her replacement.

Sirenia worked on a new album in 2016 and a first single ,“The 12th Hour”, was released in October 2016. It was followed in early November 2016 by the title-track “Dim Days of Dolor”. This became the Norwegian entry in FSC October 2017. The album “Dim Days of Dolor” was released in November 2016 and also included the powerful epic song “Goddess of the Sea” which was the Norwegian entry in FSC December 2016.

The first single from a forthcoming album, the song ‘Love Like Cyanide’, was released in September 2018. The new album itself, named ‘Arcane Astral Aeons’, was finally released on 26th October 2018. It included the melodic Symphonic Metal-song ‘Into The Night’, which was the Norwegian entry in FSC November 2018, as well as the aforementioned ‘Love Like Cyanide’ which was the Norwegian entry in FSC June 2019

Another song from the 2018-album was the epic Symphonic Gothic Metal-song “Glowing Embers”. It was the grand finale of the album and quickly became a fan favourite. This is the song chosen as the Norwegian entry here in FSC September 2019.

As the only Norwegian quality Symphonic/Gothic Metal band still active, Metal-fans in Norway and abroad hope this band will continue to mesmerize with their epic Symphonic music for many years to come.

The Norwegian entry for FSC #127 September 2019, called “Glowing Embers”, is another great epic Symphonic Gothic Metal song by Norwegian Metal band Sirenia. The Norwegian jury is happy to enter Sirenia again in the FSC for Norway.

Below are the English lyrics for the song. Hope you’ll enjoy the Norwegian entry for September!
tqcd9Op.png

yQwRxUC.gif

Sirenia - Glowing Embers

Choir (intro)

Behold the glowing embers
Of glory that once was
Still shining bright within your eyes
The beacon of my life
You are my everlasting fire
That burns with all of my desires

You are the light that conquers darkness
You are the dream that transcends
You are the hope that speaks to my heart
My faith until the end

Behind the veils of darkness
There is a pale dim light
It's shimmering and dwindling
Right at the edge of the night
I gaze towards a shining past
That days to come will never outlast

My faith until the end

My faith until the end

Id2mrPs.gif

-M​

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
FSC #128 October 2019 - Norway

xptC4rp.gif

FSC Norway - October 2019 - Røverann - Mysterium

V6dnrv1.jpg

Representing Norway in FSC October 2019 is a New artist for Norway in FSC, the talented Norwegian pop-artist Røverann (alias Sylvie Ann Herfoss Klevgård). Here is some more information about her.

Sylvie Ann Herfoss Klevgård is a Norwegian singer from Østerdalen, an inland region in south-eastern Norway (east of the former FSC host city of Hamar), who has released music under the artist name Røverann (which is a kind of ‘pun’ on the Norwegian word in dialect for ‘the robbers’ or ‘the thieves’).

She has always loved music and has written songs herself for many years. She is pretty unknown in Norway on the national stage but is known in some music circles and has an expanding fanbase.

What makes her a little unique is that her songs are all in Norwegian language in a music genre - Synth-pop/Electro-pop - which in Norway almost always is sung in English language by our national artists.

She released her self-titled debut album ‘Røverann’ in 2015. It had 7 songs all sung in Norwegian and the music style was commercial Synth-pop/Electro-pop. In the following years (2016-2018) she released many singles, incl. ‘Jordbærmuffins’, ‘Svarte Vinger’, ‘Åh, Som Jeg Liker Det’, ‘Vil Du Være Med Meg’, ‘Sommertid’, ‘La Vindene Danse’, ‘Mens Snøen Laver Ned’, ‘Utakt’, ‘Høy På Deg’, and ‘Lek’.

In August 2019 she released her new single ‘Mysterium’, a melodic Synth-pop song in the Norwegian Electro-pop tradition, not dissimilar in style from some of Margaret Berger’s earlier songs (but she always sung in English). It was popular among her growing fanbase and also received some radioplay on national radio in Norway. This is the song chosen by the Norwegian jury as the Norwegian entry here in FSC October 2019.

This is a productive and talented Norwegian pop-artist and songwriter from whom we will surely hear more in the years to come.

The Norwegian entry for FSC #128 October 2019, called “Mysterium” (“Mystery”), is a melodic bass-groovy Synth-pop song performed in the Norwegian language (in clear Norwegian bokmål) by Røverann. The Norwegian jury is happy to enter Røverann in the FSC for Norway.

Below are the Norwegian lyrics for the song and a translation into English. Hope you’ll enjoy the Norwegian entry for October!
tqcd9Op.png

yQwRxUC.gif

Røverann - Mysterium

Jeg var mørk og tungsinn i natten / I had dark thoughts in the night
Altfor blendet av dagslys og tegn / Too blinded by daylight and signs
Så fortapt i egne tanker / So lost in my own thoughts
Til jeg møtte ditt mystiske deg / Until I met the mysterious you

Med håp og lengsel i blikket / With hope and longing in my eyes
Snubler jeg i manglende ord / I stumble in words that I lack
Alt det du rører ved blir forsterket / Everything you touch becomes stronger
Lyser opp som en fullkommen jord / Lights up like a perfect earth

Så nær meg, så nær meg / So close to me, so close to me
Pusten din blir til glør / Your breath becomes like fiery embers
Så nær meg, så nær meg / So close to me, so close to me
Som jeg aldri har kjent før / Like I have never felt before

Du er, du er et mysterium / You are, you are a mystery
Et mysterium / A mystery
Et mysterium / A mystery

Skriv til meg i flere farver / Write to me in several colours
Tålmodig du venter på meg / Patiently you wait for me
Går jeg meg vill mellom drømmer og glasskår / Lose my way between dreams & broken glass
Vender tilbake til mystiske deg / I return to the mysterious you

Det er sulten av bekreftelse / It is the hunger for confirmation
Jeg elsker å få tilgang til / That I love to get access to
Og alle dine ville oppspinn / And all your wild crazy ideas
Høres latteren din i takt med min / Your laughter is heard together with mine

Vi har så mye i vente / We have so many things to come
En hel verden du tente / A whole world you lit up
Som hvite tegn utover bordet / Like white signs spread on the table
Som røde seil bruser i blodet / Like red sails bubbling in the blood

Åh…. Mysterium / Oh…. Mystery

Et mysterium / A mystery
Et mysterium / A mystery

Åh…. Mysterium / Oh…. Mystery

Et mysterium / A mystery
Et mysterium / A mystery

Et mysterium / A mystery
Et mysterium / A mystery

Id2mrPs.gif

-M​

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
FSC #129 November 2019 - Norway

xptC4rp.gif

FSC Norway - November 2019 - KEiiNO - Dancing in the Smoke

kq4vipd.jpg

Representing Norway in FSC November 2019 are another set of New artists for Norway in FSC, the Eurovision-famous Norwegian/Sami group KEiiNO who won the popular televote in ESC 2019. Here is some more information about them.

KEiiNO is a Norwegian/Sami Folk-pop group consisting of Norwegian singers Tom Hugo and Alexandra Rotan, and Norwegian Sámi rapper/joiker Fred Buljo.

The group was established in the late summer of 2018 when Tom Hugo (songwriter) and partner Alex Olsson began writing "Spirit in the Sky", a Norwegian/Sami Folk-pop song inspired by historical struggles for equality. Later the singer Alexandra Rotan (who had taken part in MPGjr in 2010 and MPG in 2018 with Stella Mwangi, as well as pop-IDOL) and Sámi rapper/joiker Fred Buljo (also member of the Norwegian-Sami group Duolva Duottar) joined the project which became a Norwegian-Sami co-project.

The group name KEiiNO was inspired by the name of Fred Buljo's home town Kautokeino (Sami: Guovdageaidnu). The last part -geaidnu translates to the "way" or "road" which Buljo stated "represents the road that brought us together".

Although the three singers had had some success as solo artists, their dreams were truly realised after joining forces - a force the Sámi (the indigenous people of Norway) believe you can find connecting with nature. The northern lights, dancing colourful and free, serve as a symbol of how KEiiNO believes everyone should be allowed to feel - regardless of who they love, how they look or where they are from. KEiiNO dares to dream that their music will inspire people all over the world to rise above differences and work together.

“Spirit in the Sky” was entered and chosen as one of the songs for Melodi Grand Prix (MGP) 2019 and quickly became a fan favourite on the internet. It ended up winning MGP and was thereby chosen to represent Norway in ESC 2019. They took part in the 2nd semi-final in May 2019 and qualified for the final. In the final the entry received the highest points from the European public’s televoting, winning the televote with an impressive 291 points, ending 6th in the end (including jury-votes) in the final.

“Spirit in the Sky” became a huge and popular hit around Europe entering the charts in many countries. After ESC, KEiiNO released several other songs, a cover-version of the US-song “Shallow”, the change of pace-single “Praying”, another cover in Swedish “Vill Ha Dig”, and finally a new original single “Dancing in the Smoke” released in October 2019. This new single is the song chosen by the Norwegian jury as the Norwegian entry here in FSC November 2019.

The new song resembles their ESC-song in style and is another Norwegian/Sami Folk-pop melody with catchy joyous rhythms and ethnic joik, all set in KEiiNO’s familiar musical style and universe.

They have indicated that they want to make an album with ethnic/world music songs, related to the songs they have created so far, but no further press release has been made yet.

This is a talented and popular Norwegian/Sami Folk-pop group from whom we will without doubt hear more in the years to come.

The Norwegian entry for FSC #129 November 2019, called “Dancing in the Smoke”, is a new melodic Folk-pop song by the popular Eurovision-famous Norwegian/Sami group KEiiNO. The Norwegian jury is happy to enter KEiiNO the FSC for Norway.

Below are the English lyrics for the song. Hope you’ll enjoy the Norwegian entry for November!
tqcd9Op.png

yQwRxUC.gif

KEiiNO - Dancing in the Smoke

Smoke is raging
Colours flicker in the night sky
Streetlights are fading
Fading

I got the feeling we will make it to heaven
I got the feeling we won’t try, come back
Streetlights are fading
Fading

We’re not running when the world’s on fire
We’ll be dancing in the smoke
No don’t you worry when the flames get higher
We’ll be dancing, we’ll be dancing in the smoke

Lovers wasted
People rushing in the moonlight
Hearts all racing
Racing

I got the feeling we will make it to heaven
I got the feeling we won’t try, come back
Hearts all racing
Racing

We’ll go higher when the world’s on fire

I feel it in my body
Armageddon
I feel it in my body
Feel it in my body

We’re not running when the world’s on fire
We’l be dancing in the smoke

Id2mrPs.gif

-M​

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
FSC #130 December 2019 - Norway

xptC4rp.gif

FSC Norway - December 2019 - Alan Walker ft. K-391 & Emelie Hollow - Lily

iq2SMg2.jpg

Representing Norway in FSC December 2019, and returning to the FSC for Norway, is the talented young, very popular British-Norwegian Electronic Dance Music (EDM) -Producer and artist Alan Walker, this time featuring Norwegian Producer K-391 and Emelie Hollow on vocals. Here is some more information about them.

Alan Walker (born 24th August 1997) is a British-born Norwegian Record Producer and artist in the Electronic Dance Music (EDM)-genre. Born in Northampton, England of an English father and Norwegian mother, he and his family moved to Norway in 1999 at the age of two. He has since (for 17 years) lived in Bergen, Norway and has made his music career here.

His worldwide digital song and EDM-hit "Fade" gained attention after its release on YouTube via the label NoCopyrightSounds (NCS). The tracks "Spectre" and "Force" followed in 2015. He then signed with MER Musikk under Sony Music Sweden and his first single under that label was "Faded", a remastered vocal version of "Fade", released in December 2015.

Alan Walker gained worldwide attention. As of June 2016, "Faded" had over 356 million views on YouTube, an incredible feat. His new EDM-song "Sing Me To Sleep" (featuring Iselin Solheim again on vocals) came in 2016. This was the song chosen by the Norwegian jury as the Norwegian entry in FSC July 2016. In December 2016 Alan Walker released a new single, called “Alone”. It featured the Swedish singer Noonie Bao on vocals. It was another melodic song in his typical musical style which gained huge popularity. This was the Norwegian entry in FSC February 2017.

At the beginning of the new year 2017, Alan Walker's YouTube channel became the most subscribed channel registered in Norway, after passing about 4.5 million subscribers. In May 2017 he released the single “Tired” featuring vocals by Gavin James while the song “Spectre” (based on one of his earlier songs) followed in September 2017. Then in October 2017 he released a new original EDM-single “All Falls Down” featuring Noah Cyrus and Digital Farm Animals on vocals. This was the Norwegian entry in FSC December 2017.

In 2018 Alan Walker featured on a song by Norwegian producer X-391 called “Ignite” released in May 2018 (the Norwegian entry in FSC July 2018) and also released 2 new singles: “Darkside” in July 2018, and “Diamond Heart” (see more info below) in September 2018. “Diamond Heart”, which featured Swedish Sophia Somajo on vocals, was the Norwegian entry in FSC January 2019.

Alan Walker released an album called “Different World” in December 2018 which included most of his singles as well as many new songs, with some variety within his style and genre. One of these new songs was the melodic EDM-style ballad “Lily” which was later also released as a digital single. This is the song chosen by the Norwegian jury as the Norwegian entry here in FSC December 2019.

In spring 2019 he released a new single called “On My Way” which had some Spanish parts and which featured Sabrina Carpenter & Farruko on vocals. This was the Norwegian entry in FSC August 2019.

He is certainly a talented young Producer/artist in the EDM-genre, with huge worldwide popularity not the least on digital media/YouTube and similar online sites, from whom we will without doubt hear more in the future.

The man behind the EDM-project K-391 is Norwegian Record Producer Kenneth Nilsen. He is 23 years old and very secretive, there is little personal information about him. He often uses a ‘headset’ as a figure or logo which is meant to ‘conceptualize’ himself. He has made music for a while, his songs have been played millions of times on YouTube and he has a large following. However, his official debut-single was the EDM-song “Ignite”, presented together with Alan Walker and Julie Bergan & Seungri on vocals. It was released in May 2018 and was the song chosen by the Norwegian jury as the Norwegian entry in FSC July 2018.

Emelie Hollow is a fairly new artist and songwriter in Norway who first came to the attention of the public through participation in the tv-show ‘The Stream’. She has released an album and a few singles, her latest EP is from 2019. She has written songs for other artists and she co-wrote the song “Lily”, on which she sings vocals, with Alan Walker. She is best known for this collaboration around the world since the song has had huge success on Youtube, and also on Spotify where the song has more than 50 million views.

The Norwegian entry for FSC December 2019, “Lily”, is a melodic EDM-style ballad by British-Norwegian EDM-Producer and artist Alan Walker ft. K-391 and Emelie Hollow on vocals. The Norwegian jury is happy to enter Alan Walker again in the FSC for Norway.

Below are the English lyrics for the song. Hope you’ll enjoy the Norwegian entry for December!
tqcd9Op.png

yQwRxUC.gif

Alan Walker ft. K-391 & Emelie Hollow - Lily

Lily was a little girl
Afraid of the big, wide world
She grew up within her castle walls

Now and then she tried to run
And then on the night with the setting sun
She went in the woods away
So afraid, all alone

They warned her, don't go there
There's creatures who are hiding in the dark
Then something came creeping
It told her, don't you worry, just

Follow everywhere I go
Top of all the mountains or valley low
Give you everything you've been dreaming of
Just let me in, ooh

Everything you want in gold
I'll be the magic story you've been told
And you'll be safe under my control
Just let me in, ooh

Just let me in, ooh

She knew she was hypnotized
And walking on cold thin ice
Then it broke, and she awoke again

Then she ran faster, and
Start screaming, is there someone out there?
Please help me
Come get me
Behind her, she can hear it say

Follow everywhere I go
Just let me in, ooh

Just let me in, ooh

Just let me in, ooh
Ooh…

Just let me in, ooh

Follow everywhere I go
Just let me in, ooh

Then she ran faster, and
Start screaming, is there someone out there?
Please help me
Just let me in, ooh

Id2mrPs.gif

-M​

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member

fpMgo09.gif

INTERMEZZO

On behalf of the :no: Norwegian FSC-jury I wish everyone in our Community

-GOD JUL og GODT NYTT ÅR 2020-

Merry Christmas & A Happy New Year 2020

The Christmas-spirit is embodied in the 3 beautiful & sacred Norwegian
Christmas-songs posted here below which I want to share with you all.

- -- - 1. Maria Arredondo - Himmel på jord
2. Sissel Kyrkjebø - O Helga Natt
- - - - - -- - -- - -- - - - - - 3. Maria H Mittet with OGC - En stjerne skinner i natt

xrose Enjoy - and Happy Holidays!! xrose

fpMgo09.gif
'
INTERMEZZO

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
MYENboe.jpg

IJgYHjj.jpg

MYENboe.jpg

:no: FSC Norway 2019: End of Year Reflections

Some reflections when I look back at the Norwegian FSC Year 2019 and all the songs I have sent to the FSC from Norway.

1. Which Norwegian FSC 2019 entry do I love the most?

That is an easy choice this year, my favourite song not just for Norway in FSC but of all the FSC -songs of 2019 is Alan Walker ft. Sophia Somajo - Diamond Heart, the Norwegian entry in FSC January 2019. It won FSC that month and became the only Norwegian winner of 2019. I loved the song from the first time I heard it and knew I just had to enter it in the contest. I hoped it would do well but one never knows in FSC and the competition is always strong and so I was overjoyed when it ended up winning and seeing so many members loving it too. I still have it on my playlist and play it often. I entered 2 more of Alan Walker’s songs this FSC-year but Diamond Heart was the best, possibly my favourite Alan Walker-song of all time (and that says much since I love his music).

2. What is the strangest/most unconventional Norwegian FSC 2019 entry?

I did not enter any very odd songs this FSC-year, but I guess the most unexpected (for many) entry was Kamferdrops - Fuck you, jag älskar dig, my Norwegian entry in FSC July 2019. It was an entry in Swedish language (a first for Norway in FSC) and in Melodifestivalen schlager-pop style and it caught many by surprise is my impression. I thought it would do better than it did (it ended 16th), a super-catchy melodic song, but am glad some members enjoyed it. I was very happy to finally be able to enter a Swedish-style schlager-pop song in FSC (I have been a big fan of Melodifestivalen for close to 20 years and especially what I consider the ‘golden years’, 2003-2009) since hardly any Norwegian artists make that kind of music.

3. What Norwegian 2019 entry was the biggest (positive) surprise?

I think that has to be Secret Garden getting 2nd place in FSC May 2019 with the song ‘The Voyage’. It is a violin-based instrumental Neo-classical song, a beautiful song I treasured and just had to enter even though I was unsure how it would do resultwise. I have entered Secret Garden before in FSC and have done well at times, other times less well. Though they are well known and popular among some this is a genre which is not mainstream in FSC and so I was uncertain how it would do. 2nd place was far above what I expected and I was happy to see so many members love the song as much as I did.

4. What Norwegian 2019 entry was the biggest disappointment resultwise?

Without doubt Røverann - Mysterium, the Norwegian entry in FSC October 2019. It came 37th out of 39 entries and was in fact last placed but saved by 2 dq entries ending behind on the ranking list. This is the worst placing of any Norwegian song in FSC-history (130 FSC-editions) and was a huge disappointment for me. I personally thought the song was catchy and quite good, a synth-based song in the style of Margaret Berger, and it was in Norwegian language which I thought would be a bonus. I thought it was realistic to expect a top 15-ish placing so I was kinda shocked when it flopped big time and not even got 10 points in all. It is indeed a mystery (mysterium) for me but sometimes a song just does not click with the juries. I am glad a few members enjoyed it though.

5. Which new Norwegian artist/band was it especially fun to enter in FSC for Norway in 2019?

I can’t narrow it down to one artist this year. So I would say Astrid S (FSC February 2019, it ended mid-table, 16th, but I thought it was a great entry, she is one of the up and coming young Norwegian pop-stars), the aforementioned Kamferdrops (FSC July 2019) and ESC-famous KEiiNO (FSC November 2019, ended an excellent 3rd).

6. Best result for Norway in FSC 2019?

The aforementioned Alan Walker ft. Sophia Somajo - Diamond Heart, the Norwegian entry in FSC January 2019. It won FSC that month, our only victory in 2019.

7. Anything special with regards to Norway’s entries in 2019?

I entered 2 songs in the Norwegian language in 2019 (April and October). I try to enter a minimum of 2 songs in my mother tongue each FSC-year, some years I manage more entries (like in 2018), some years less. As mentioned before, most Norwegian artists release music in English language these days and some of those who do release in Norwegian are not that suitable for the contest. I choose the best songs I find whatever language and style, the ones I love the most, and I will continue to do so.

With regards to genre, I try also to mix genres to get some variety in the entries. In 2019 Norway sent Electronic Dance Music (EDM), Symphonic Metal, Synth-pop, Folk-pop, Pop-ballad, Melodifestivalen schlager-pop and Neo-classical instrumental music.

8. My favourite non-Norwegian FSC-song of 2019?

Katie Kei - Burn it down (Czech Republic), a great song and worthy FSC-winner.

9. My favourite FSC-countries (most voted for) as of December 2019?

Romania (nr 1) and Russia (nr 2) are my top 2 countries in the FSC over the 10 years I have been taking part. I have enjoyed a lot of songs from both countries.

10. Any particular Norwegian artist/band I miss not being able to send to the FSC?

I will echo what I said last year: Christine Guldbrandsen and Sissel (Kyrkjebø). Christine has stopped releasing albums, focusing instead on a musical-career, while Sissel has focused on concerts and other projects in recent years and the one album she recently released (2019) was with cover-songs only (unfortunately for me).

11. Final reflections

It has been another great FSC year for Norway. Resultwise we have 7 top 10-placings including 1 victory and continue to stay at, or near, the top of the FSC country rankings over time ('FSC League Table') which pleases me much and fills me with some pride.

However, as I said last year, I get the greatest pleasure from sharing great Norwegian songs with you all no matter how they place in the end. When someone loves your song, that means the most. I love this contest which I have been a part of for so many years now, which is also why I put so much time and effort into leading the FSC Mod team as we work hard to keep this great online music-contest of ours alive and thriving.

This year, 2019, I also celebrated my 10th Anniversary in FSC in October, a landmark I never thought I would reach when I joined FSC in October 2009. I have taken part every month for 123 FSC-editions (I know, I know.. I should get a life LOL), it is incredible where the time has gone to be honest.

Looking forward to the FSC Year 2020 with Norway - thank you to you all for all your great songs, for supporting the Norwegian entries and for sharing in / being part of this valuable online Community of ours! xcheer xhug

Regards,

Malagant
FSC Head Mod / Head of FSC Norway
:no:

Ausesken

Congrats on your 10th Anniversary!

I discover a lot of good music here, but for some reason very few songs make it to my playlist, and Fuck you, jag älskar dig is one of them :lol: I guess I could say it's in my top 3 of all the songs this year, along with Sweden and South Africa in December.

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
Congrats on your 10th Anniversary!

I discover a lot of good music here, but for some reason very few songs make it to my playlist, and Fuck you, jag älskar dig is one of them :lol: I guess I could say it's in my top 3 of all the songs this year, along with Sweden and South Africa in December.
[MENTION=15499]Ausesken[/MENTION] Thank you! xup

Discovering new music has also been one of my greatest joys with FSC over the years, songs and artists I would never have discovered otherwise. I remember you were one of the members who enjoyed my FSC July Kamferdrops song the most, you have excellent taste :D I love the song myself and as I wrote above I was really pleased to be able to enter it in FSC for Norway, a genre (Swedish schlager-pop) no one (else) really makes music in in Norway. Happy to hear you really enjoyed it
tqcd9Op.png

JSSArcos

Woww, is impressive your dedication to this contest, I loved to discover some of the opinions about the own music Norwegian (if I have time I'll do something like that for my country) .... continue the great work, it is not at random that Norway is from the countries that I assign the most points xheart

Congratulations also for your 10th birthday! xheart

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
[MENTION=15700]JSSArcos[/MENTION] Thank you! xup Glad you enjoyed reading my Year End Reflections for FSC Norway - and thanks for your support for many of my Norwegian FSC-entries :)

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
FSC #131 January 2020 - Norway

xptC4rp.gif

FSC Norway - January 2020 - Shining - Wolves

tMMKczb.jpg

Representing Norway in FSC January 2020 is another New artist for Norway in FSC, the Norwegian experimental rock band called Shining. Here is some more information about them.

Thirteen musicians have been a part of the band's line-up in its history, with singer, guitarist, saxophonist, and songwriter Jørgen Munkeby as its leading force and only constant member. Shining was created in 1999 in Oslo, Norway as an acoustic instrumental jazz quartet consisting of Munkeby, drummer Torstein Lofthus, pianist Morten Qvenild, and double bassist Aslak Hartberg.

They released their first albums "Where the Ragged People Go" and "Sweet Shanghai Devil" in 2001 and 2003 respectively. Their 2005 album "In the Kingdom of Kitsch You Will Be a Monster" led the band into a more avant-garde, electric, and rock-oriented sound, with Qvenild playing synthesizers and other electronic keyboards and Hartberg mostly using bass guitar instead of double bass.

The band has over the years been innovative with their music and experimental. Under a partially changed line-up Shining released the album “Grindstone” in 2007, an album going into a heavier direction and distancing itself more from jazz, incorporating elements from progressive rock, pop, and 19th and 20th century classical music. On their fifth album "Blackjazz" (2010), which became a critical success, Shining became an extreme avant-garde metal band with the use of growled vocals from Munkeby. Their first live album "Live Blackjazz" and sixth studio album, "One One One", released in 2013, followed the musical direction begun in “Blackjazz”. In the following years more members left the band and were replaced by new faces. Munkeby was the only original member left.

Their studio album "International Blackjazz Society", which helmed the band's shift away from avant-garde jazz-influenced metal towards a more classic hard rock sound, was released in 2015. Shining's metal-oriented albums were received with much acclaim from both jazz, heavy metal, and more mainstream critics.

A new single was released in September 2017 titled "Everything Dies" and solidified their change toward a hard rock-oriented sound. The single "Animal", released in August 2018, followed the same musical direction. Both songs were included on their album titled "Animal" released in October 2018.

Their newest single called "Wolves" was released in November 2019. It was another departure in musical style, now encompassing Nordic Synth / Elektronica rhythms / beats and a primal edge in the lyrics. It had Pop-rock style vocals and echoes of stadium rock in the chorus part, but the heavy dark Synth baseline dominated the song and made it different from their earlier releases (making parts of their fanbase displeased but also gaining new followers). This is the song chosen by the Norwegian jury as the Norwegian entry here in FSC January 2020.

This is a band that enjoys giving surprises and they have admitted as much in interviews. Their experimentation in music styles and genres over the years, from jazz to prog rock to avant-garde electric metal to hard rock and now to dark Synth-pop / Elektronica, shows how versatile they are, a band that enjoy making all kinds of music. We will without doubt hear more from this long-running band in the years to come.

The Norwegian entry for FSC #131 January 2020, called “Wolves”, is a Nordic Dark Synth Pop-rock song by the ever innovative Norwegian band called Shining. The Norwegian jury is happy to enter Shining in the FSC for Norway.

Below are the English lyrics for the song. Hope you’ll enjoy the Norwegian entry for January!
tqcd9Op.png

yQwRxUC.gif

Shining - Wolves

I was born inside the valley of the thousand stars
Running free, through the dark
I was born through snow and ice, forever running wild
With demon eyes, I’m a nature’s child

It’s been a million years or more
So can you hear it when it calls
And now the animal’s coming out
Because tonight’s the night

We’re running wild, running in the wild
Running through the night

We’re running with the wolves
We’re running wild

Running here tonight
See the animal inside
We’re running wild

It’s been a million years and I’m still running free
The winter wind, it carries me
I was born beneath the moon, I’ll be forever wild
I am here to hide, I’m a nature’s child

It’s been a million years or more
So can you hear it when it calls
Now the animal’s coming out

We’re running wild, running with the wolves
We’re running wild

Running here tonight
See the animal inside

A million years or more
Can you hear it when it calls
And now the animal’s coming out

We’re running wild, running with the wolves
We’re running wild

Running here tonight
See the animal inside
We’re running wild

We’re running wild

Id2mrPs.gif

-M​

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
xptC4rp.gif

FSC Norway - February 2020 - Ina Wroldsen x Dynoro - Obsessed

d58Icbt.jpg

Representing Norway in FSC February 2020 is a Norwegian - Lithuanian collaboration, the multi-talented Norwegian singer-songwriter Ina Wroldsen and the talented Lithuanian DJ/Producer Dynoro. Here is some more information about them.

Ina (Christine) Wroldsen (born in Oslo, Norway in 1984) is a Norwegian singer and songwriter who has for many years lived in London, England (with frequent work-visits to Los Angeles, USA). She lived most of her childhood years in the town of Sandefjord south of the Norwegian capital. Early in her career she got a record contract and released some music on her own, but has for many years focused on writing songs for other international artists.

She has written popular and successful songs for famous artists like Britney Spears, Shakira, One Direction, Shontelle, The Saturdays and The Pussycat Dolls to name a few. In the 2013 Norwegian MGP she also wrote (together with Quiz & Larossi) the popular song “Bombo“ which was performed by Adelèn and which came 2nd in the final. In mid-2011 she started a successful collaboration with the Icelandic songwriter and music producer Arnthor Birgisson - and the Ask Embla music project was born.

They released several popular songs in the years 2012-2014 (‘Father’s Eyes’, their biggest hit, ‘Cry Baby’, ‘I Fell In Love’, ‘Legion’ and ‘Lay It On Me’) as well as an album ‘Northern Light’ (2013). They began work on a 2nd album but it was indefinitely delayed as they started to focus on solo-projects. The Ask Embla-project was ‘put on ice’ for the forseeable future and all Ina’s attention was now on her solo-career.

Ina Wroldsen countiued her solo-career in the next few years, releasing several singles including a new version (with Broiler) of “Lay It On Me”. She also spent time on other projects, including being one of the judges on the Norwegian pop-IDOL tv-show in 2016.

In December 2016, after a visit to Africa, she released the gripping ballad “St. Peter”. This was the Norwegian entry in FSC November 2017.

The EP “HEX” (inspired by Norwegian Folklore-tales) was released in June 2018. It consisted of 4 new songs (“Sea”, “Remember Me”, “Mine” and “Mother”). “Mother” was the Norwegian entry in FSC September 2018. The first single from the EP, released in April 2018, was the beautiful ocean-ballad “Sea”. This was the Norwegian entry in FSC March 2019.

That same month she released a new song together with the Lithuanian DJ/Producer Dynoro called ‘Obsessed’. It was a melodic groovy Dance-pop song that quickly became popular many places in Europe. This is the song chosen by the Norwegian jury as the Norwegian entry here in FSC February 2020.

Ina Wroldsen is a multi-talented singer and songwriter and there is little doubt that we will hear more from her in the years to come.

Edvinas Pechovskis, known professionally as Dynoro, is a Lithuanian DJ and music producer. He is best known for his international hit "In My Mind" which interpolates the hook from "L'amour toujours" by Italian DJ Gigi D'Agostino. Dynoro started releasing tracks and remixes on Soundcloud and Spotify in 2013, gaining fame in Lithuania thanks to a DJ YouTube channel "Lithuania HQ". In December 2017 his song "In My Mind" was released. It was re-released in June 2018 with Gigi D'Agostino added as featuring artist. In July 2018, the song reached number one in the German music charts. It was also a number 1 hit in many other European countries. In March 2019 he released a new song together with Norwegian singer-songwriter Ina Wroldsen, the melody ‘Obsessed’, which also became very popular on dancefloors all over Europe. It featured a creative animated video to accompany the song with ideas/strong influences by Ina Wroldsen. We will for sure hear more from this talented music producer in the years to come.

The Norwegian entry for FSC #132 February 2020, called “Obsessed”, is a melodic Dance-pop song performed by Ina Wroldsen and Dynoro in an effective musical collaboration. The Norwegian jury is happy to enter Ina Wroldsen again in the FSC for Norway.

Below are the English lyrics for the song. Hope you’ll enjoy the Norwegian entry for February!
tqcd9Op.png

yQwRxUC.gif

Ina Wroldsen x Dynoro - Obsessed

I tried to climb into your skin
I tried to locate the beating
Of your, your, your, your heart
Of your, your, your, your heart

I walked for hours inside you
I talked in my voice and tried to
Find your, your, your, your heart
Find your, your, your, your heart

I ran through all your veins
I saw all of your visions
I found all of you, babe
But I couldn't find me anywhere

And now I'm stuck
Inside of you

Baby
You gotta let me
You gotta let me out
I gotta get free
I gotta get free, oh baby
I'm too invested
I can't get obsessed with you

Baby
You gotta let me
You gotta let me out
I gotta get free
I'm too invested

You keep my heartbeat in your teeth
And scissors cutting into me
All your, your, your, your lies
All my, my, my, my light

I ran through all your veins
I saw all of your visions
I found all of you, babe
But I couldn't find me anywhere

And now I'm stuck
Inside of you

Baby
You gotta let me
You gotta let me out
I gotta get free
I'm too invested

Baby
You gotta let me
You gotta let me out
I gotta get free
I'm too invested

I feel your mouth when you kiss her lips
I trace your skin with your fingertips
I see her the way you do and it, hurts
Ooh-ooh-ooh

Baby
You gotta let me
You gotta let me out
I gotta get free
I'm too invested

Baby
You gotta let me
You gotta let me out
I gotta get free
I'm too invested

Id2mrPs.gif

-M​

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
VwKxcSZ.jpg

INTERMEZZO

Tribute
: Jahn Teigen (1949-2020) RIP

A tribute to Norway’s probably most influential
& popular pop-artist / songwriter past 50 years

Thank you, Jahn. You are a Legend.

xrose

VwKxcSZ.jpg

INTERMEZZO

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
xptC4rp.gif

FSC Norway - March 2020 - Wardruna - Grá

oMCSYPr.jpg

Representing Norway in March 2020 is a New artist for Norway in FSC, the Norwegian Old Norse-Folk band Wardruna. Here is some more information about them.

Wardruna is a Norwegian Old Norse-Folk music band formed in 2003 by Einar Selvik along with Gaahl (Kristian Eivind Espedal) and Lindy Fay Hella. Selvik and Gaahl were previously members of the Norwegian Black Metal-band Gorgoroth. Wardruna have from the start been dedicated to creating musical renditions of Norse cultural and esoteric traditions, and make significant use of Nordic historical and traditional instruments including primitive deer-hide frame drums, flutes, kraviklyr, tagelharpe, mouth harp, goat horn, and lur. Non-traditional instruments and other sources of sound like trees, rocks, water, and torches are also used in their music.

There have been some changes in members of the band over the years, but the current members are:

Einar "Kvitrafn" Selvik - vocals, all instruments, composer (the nexus of the band)
Lindy Fay Hella - vocals, flute
Arne Sandvoll - backing vocals, percussion
HC Dalgaard - backing vocals, percussion, drums
Eilif Gundersen - horns, flutes
John Stenersen - moraharpa

The band have released four full-length albums, the first three based on Norse mythology, the last based on the sayings of Odin from the Völuspá and other Old Norse sources. They have a sizable fan-following around the world and are Norway’s most famous band in this music genre.

The group's debut album ‘Runaljod - Gap Var Ginnunga’ was released in 2009 by Indie Recordings, followed by ‘Runaljod - Yggdrasil’ in 2013. In 2014 Selvik announced on the group's official Facebook page that they would take part in composing the score for season 2 of Vikings along with Trevor Morris. He later appeared as an actor on the show. In 2014 Gaahl left Wardruna on amicable terms. Wardruna's third album, ‘Runaljod - Ragnarok’, was released in 2016 to critical acclaim and was quickly embraced by their devoted fanbase. Thanks in part to the success of Vikings, the album debuted at No. 1 on Billboard's World Albums chart.

In August 2017 Wardruna headlined the 20th alternative music, folk music, and experimental music festival ‘Mėnuo Juodaragis’ in Lithuania, and in early 2018, they embarked on their first tour of North America. The band's fourth album, the acoustic ‘Skald’, was released in 2018.

In 2019 they began work on a forthcoming album, and the first piece from this new musical production was the song ‘Grá’ (‘Grey’) which was released as a digital single in February 2020. This is the song chosen as the Norwegian entry here in FSC March 2020.

Wardruna have also announced the release of this new upcoming album, their fifth studio album, in June 2020. The album will be named ‘Kvitrafn’, which means 'White Raven', and they will embark on a promotional tour this coming summer 2020.

The Norwegian entry for FSC #133 March 2020, called “Grá” is a spiritual song in Old Norse-Folk style written and performed by the Norwegian band Wardruna. It is in many ways an Ode to the Wolf (the ‘Old Grey’) and to Nature and the Old ways. The Norwegian jury is happy to enter Wardruna in the FSC for Norway.

Below are the Norwegian lyrics (in Nynorsk, New Norwegian language) for the song and a translation into English. Hope you’ll enjoy the Norwegian entry for March!
tqcd9Op.gif

yQwRxUC.gif

Wardruna - Grá

Gamle Grå / Old Grey…

Eg hugsar ringen før den bråtna / I remember the circle before it was broken

Songen min rører djupt i meg / My song stirs something deep within me
Som tau ma rak minna dreg / Like chords pulling straight from memory
Eg finn ikkje ord, dei er før meg gøymd / I can’t find the words, they are hidden from me
Men det er noko gamalt, det er noko gløymd / Yet I know it is old, it is something forgotten

Eg hugsar når du jaga fritt / I remember when you roamed freely
Eg hugsar når me jaga saman / I remember when we hunted together
Eg hugsar oss før vegen skildast / I remember us before our paths got separated
Eg hugsar ringen før den bråtna / I remember the circle before it was broken

Alltid var på meg, og eg på deg / Always wary of me, and I of you
Alltid var på deg, og du på meg / Always wary of you, and you of me

Der du spring i mine skoger / There you run in my forests
Der du jag i mine fjell / There you hunt in my mountains
Før din flokk til mine dalar / Lead your (wolf)pack to my valleys
Låt oss laga ringen heil / Let us mend the broken circle

Eg skal syngja deg vel at heim / I shall sing you safe on your way
Eg syngja deg heimat heim / I shall sing you safely home

Id2mrPs.gif

-M​

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
xptC4rp.gif

FSC Norway - April 2020 - Secret Garden - The Pilot

VLlHTl4.jpg

Representing Norway in April 2020, and returning to the FSC for Norway after about 1 year, is the Norwegian-Irish Neo-Classical ESC-winners from 1995 Secret Garden. Here is some more information about them.

Secret Garden consists of Rolf Løvland (the Norwegian composer/pianist and Nexus of the duo) and Fionnuala Sherry (Irish violinist) on violin. The duo is based in Norway and has been so from the beginning. With 3-4 million albums sold worldwide they are considered one of the most successful and influential Norwegian groups/musical projects of all time.

Rolf Løvland - born in Kristiansand, Norway in 1955 - was Norway’s perhaps most successful commercial pop-music composer in the 1980s. He wrote many MGP-songs for other artists, including the Norwegian 1985 Eurovision Song Contest (ESC) winner “La Det Swinge” performed by Bobbysocks. In the early 1990s he decided to try something different, and so he started the musical project called Secret Garden, together with the Irish violinist Fionnuala Sherry (born in 1963).

Fionnuala’s violin-playing started at an early age. She graduated with honours from the Music of Trinity College in Dublin. Her professional career started with a 10-year stint as a member of the RTÉ Concert Orchestra. She has worked with many musicians. She has also recorded Hollywood film scores with the Irish Film Orchestra.

With Secret Garden Rolf Løvland wished to make music that was close to his heart: Neo-Classical, Celtic-inspired instrumental music. And so the story of Secret Garden had begun.

Secret Garden made history by winning the ESC in 1995 with "Nocturne", an instrumental melody which had 24 words added to the beginning of the song. In the 40-year history of the ESC an instrumental piece had never previously won. It was a piece of music so stylistically removed from the common “ESC format”, that the press stated: "Secret Garden has redefined the Eurovision Song Contest”.

This surprise victory at the ESC was the ultimate showcase that successfully launched their first album “Songs from a Secret Garden”. It was released around the globe, including Europe, USA/Canada, Australia and Asia. This was an historic event for a Norwegian artist/group and record company. In the years that followed Secret Garden released several popular albums, among them “White Stones” (1997), “Dawn of a New Century” (1999) and “Once in a Red Moon” (2002) which contained their huge hit “You Raise Me Up” (ft. Irish Brian Kennedy on vocals) which went on to be recorded in over 40 versions worldwide.

The following albums were “Inside I'm Singing” (2007), which differed in that all songs were with vocals, and “Winter Poem” (2011), which included the song “The Dream” (ft. Irish Clannad-singer Moya Brennan on vocals), which was the Norwegian FSC-entry in December 2011, and “Lament For A Frozen Flower”, which was the Norwegian FSC-entry in May 2012. In 2013 they released the album “Just The Two Of Us” which included the beautiful song “En Passant” which was the Norwegian FSC-entry in May 2014.

In the next years Secret Garden focused on side-projects and tours/concerts around the world, including several visits to Asia and China, but in 2018 they began to work on new songs for an album planned for release in 2019. This new album was finally released on 26th April 2019, called “Storyteller”. It included many beautiful songs, among them “The Voyage”, which was the Norwegian entry in FSC May 2019, and “The Pilot” which was pre-released in early April 2019 as a digital single. “The Pilot” is the song chosen as the Norwegian entry here in FSC April 2020.

Rolf Løvland is working on a parallel music project creating a musical which will premiere in Norway in 2021. Some of his songs intended for that musical, incl. “The Pilot”, were included on their 2019-album as a pre-listen. Secret Garden will for sure continue to mesmerize their many fans all over the world in the years to come with their beautiful Neo-Classical instrumental music and other melodies.

The Norwegian entry for FSC #134 April 2020, called “The Pilot” is another beautiful melodic Neo-Classical instrumental song written by Rolf Løvland and performed by Secret Garden. Let this beautiful, relaxing music soothe your soul in these troubling times. The Norwegian jury is happy to enter Secret Garden again in the FSC for Norway.

Hope you’ll enjoy the Norwegian entry for April!
tqcd9Op.gif

yQwRxUC.gif

Secret Garden - The Pilot

pRcF7Sf.jpg

Id2mrPs.gif

-M​

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
xptC4rp.gif

FSC Norway - May 2020 - KEiiNO - Colours

Fofke8G.jpg

Representing Norway in FSC May 2020, and returning to the FSC for Norway, are the Eurovision-famous Norwegian/Sami group KEiiNO who won the popular televote in ESC 2019. Here is some more information about them.

KEiiNO is a Norwegian/Sami Folk-pop group consisting of Norwegian singers Tom Hugo and Alexandra Rotan, and Norwegian Sámi rapper/joiker Fred Buljo.

The group was established in the late summer of 2018 when Tom Hugo (songwriter) and partner Alex Olsson began writing "Spirit in the Sky", a Norwegian/Sami Folk-pop song inspired by historical struggles for equality. Later the singer Alexandra Rotan and Sámi rapper/joiker Fred Buljo (also member of the Norwegian-Sami group Duolva Duottar) joined the project which became a Norwegian-Sami co-project.

The group name KEiiNO was inspired by the name of Fred Buljo's home town Kautokeino (Sami: Guovdageaidnu). The last part -geaidnu translates to the "way" or "road" which Buljo stated "represents the road that brought us together".

Although the three singers had had some success as solo artists, their dreams were truly realised after joining forces - a force the Sámi (the indigenous people of Norway) believe you can find connecting with nature. The northern lights, dancing colourful and free, serve as a symbol of how KEiiNO believes everyone should be allowed to feel - regardless of who they love, how they look or where they are from. KEiiNO dares to dream that their music will inspire people all over the world to rise above differences and work together.

“Spirit in the Sky” was entered in Melodi Grand Prix (MGP) 2019, quickly became a fan favourite, and it ended up winning the national final. In the ESC-final the entry received the highest points from the European public’s televoting, winning the televote with an impressive 291 points, ending 6th in the end (including jury-votes).

“Spirit in the Sky” became a huge and popular hit around Europe entering the charts in many countries. After ESC, KEiiNO released several other songs, a cover-version of the US-song “Shallow”, the single “Praying”, another cover in Swedish “Vill Ha Dig”, and finally a new original single “Dancing in the Smoke” released in October 2019. This new single was the Norwegian entry in FSC November 2019.

The song resembled their ESC-song in style and was another Norwegian/Sami Folk-pop melody with catchy joyous rhythms and ethnic joik, all set in KEiiNO’s familiar musical style and universe.

In 2020 KEiiNO have released several new singles, among them “Black Leather” and “Would I Lie” which both are slightly different in style from their signature sound. They have, however, also released the single “Colours”, performed in both Sami language and English, which is more in their traditional style of music. This is the song chosen by the Norwegian jury as the Norwegian entry here in FSC May 2020.

KEiiNO are going to release their debut-album in mid-May 2020 which it is believed will include all their released singles.

This is a talented and popular Norwegian/Sami Folk-pop group from whom we will without doubt hear more in the years to come.

The Norwegian entry for FSC #135 May 2020, called “Colours”, is a melodic Sami/Norwegian Folk-pop Schlager-song by the popular ESC-famous Norwegian/Sami group KEiiNO. The Norwegian jury is happy to enter KEiiNO again in the FSC for Norway.

Below are the lyrics in Sami language and English for the song. Hope you’ll enjoy the Norwegian entry for May!
tqcd9Op.gif

yQwRxUC.gif

KEiiNO - Colours

Dovddus jiena
Mun gulan čuorvumen
Ja ii ge goassege játta šat
Addá fámu
Ja addá jáhku munnje
Ja ahte visot šaddá buorre fas

Call me when the light is fading
I will find you
We can find the colours in the night

Oh, colours
Break the silence
Together now
You're stronger when you're with me
Ja min luđiin
Together now

Čuođi ivnni
Rájiid baddjel mannet
Čohkke olbmuid birra máilmmi (Máilmmi)
Addá fámu
Ja addá ráhkisvuođa
Dego dolla jigŋon duoddaris (Duoddaris)

Oh, colours
Break the silence
Together now
Ja min luđiin
Together now

Show me where your heart is singing
I will follow your colours
We will be a choir in the night

Oh, colour the night
Break the silence
Together now
Ja min luđiin
Together now

Id2mrPs.gif

-M​

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
xptC4rp.gif

FSC Norway - June 2020 - Kygo ft. Sasha Sloan - I’ll Wait

KN5hJUm.jpg

Representing Norway in FSC June 2020, and returning to the FSC for Norway after more than 2 years, is the famous Norwegian EDM-producer, DJ and artist Kygo, this time with Sasha Sloan as featuring artist. Here is some more information about them.

Kyrre Gørvell-Dahll (born on 11th September 1991), with the stage name Kygo, is a hugely popular and talented Norwegian Electronic Dance Music (EDM) -Producer, DJ and artist. He has accumulated over 200 million views of his music on Soundcloud and YouTube, very impressive numbers indeed.

In December 2014 he released his first single, the very popular and internationally successful EDM-single "Firestone" which featured vocals by Conrad (Conrad Sewell). This was the Norwegian entry in FSC July 2015. In February/March 2015 he released a second single, titled "Stole the Show" (ft. Parson James) which also gained great popularity. More singles followed later that year. Kygo continued work on his debut-album to be released in spring 2016. Preceeding the album in 2016 were the singles “Fragile” (ft. Labrinth), “I’m In Love” (ft. James Vincent McMorrow), and “Raging” (ft. Kodaline). “Raging” was the Norwegian entry in FSC September 2016.

In May 2016 Kygo finally released his CD-album called “Cloud Nine” which included all his new singles as well as a host of other songs. Kygo promoted his new album on the world stage in the summer of 2016 in several events and concerts. In February 2017 he released a new single called “It Ain’t Me” with the famous singer Selena Gomez on vocals. It was a catchy piece of EDM / Tropical House in his familiar music style, and it became a huge hit worldwide reaching the top 5 in many countries. This was the Norwegian entry in FSC August 2017.

In November 2017 Kygo’s new album “Kids in Love” was finally released and it included 8 new songs in the EDM / Pop / Tropical House genre, including some variety, featuring different artists on vocals. One of these great songs was the EDM-melody “Stranger Things” featuring OneRepublic on vocals which was the Norwegian entry in FSC February 2018.

In 2018 and 2019 Kygo kept releasing songs and one of the most popular was his cover version of Whitney Houston’s song “Higher Love”. It was the lead single from his forthcoming new album. In 2020 more singles followed including “Like It Is” ft. Zara Larsson and Tyga. Another of his new singles, released in April 2020, which quickly became a fan-favourite, was the melodic EDM/Tropical House song “I’ll Wait’ ft. Sasha Sloan on vocals. This is the song chosen by the Norwegian jury as the Norwegian entry here in FSC June 2020.

His new album “Golden Hour” was finally released at the end of May 2020 and included most of his singles from the past few years.

Kygo continues producing popular EDM/Tropical House music to the enjoyment of all his fans and followers all over the world and there is little doubt that we will hear more from this talented Norwegian EDM Producer, DJ and artist in the years to come.

Alexandra Artourovna Yatchenko, known professionally as Sasha Sloan, is an American singer-songwriter of Russian descent based in Los Angeles, California, USA. She began her career in 2015 when she was featured in the song "Phoenix" by Kaskade, as well as being credited for songwriting. She continued her career by writing for artists including Idina Menzel, Maggie Lindemann and Camila Cabello. In 2017, Sasha Sloan was featured in the song "This Town" by Kygo, which she also cowrote. Her debut EP, ‘Sad Girl’, was released by RCA in April 2018. Her second EP, ‘Loser’, was released by RCA in November 2018. On the same day, she announced her first headlining tour to support the album. Her single "Older" from the album was performed on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert in February 2019. Sasha Sloan released her third EP ‘Self-Portrait’ in October 2019. And then in April 2020 she featured with vocals on Kygo’s new song “I’ll Wait” which she also cowrote. She is without doubt a talented singer and songwriter from whom we will hear more in the coming years.

The Norwegian entry for FSC #136 June 2020, “I’ll Wait” is another melodic EDM/Tropical House-song with groovy summer-vibes by Norwegian EDM Producer, DJ and artist Kygo, this time featuring Sasha Sloan on vocals. The Norwegian jury is happy to enter Kygo again in the FSC for Norway.

Below are the lyrics in English. Hope you’ll enjoy the Norwegian entry for June!
tqcd9Op.gif

yQwRxUC.gif

Kygo ft. Sasha Sloan - I’ll Wait

I'll never forget the songs we used to play
And when I put them on
The feeling never fades, out my body
I hope you're thinking of me

There won't be a night, there won't be a place
Where you don't cross my mind
Where I don't see your face, in somebody
I hope you're thinking of me

People say we're foolish, people say we're dumb
People say we're caught up in temporary love
We don't know what we're doing, they say we're too young
But they don't know a thing about us

I'll wait forever, that's what we said
16th of September lying in my bed
I'll wait forever, it's never too late
Couple thousand miles is just a little space

I'll wait

I'll wait

There won't be an end, can't forget the start
When you're far away it's like we're not apart
I'd burn my money
Just to hear you say you love me, again

People say we're foolish, people say we're dumb
People say we're caught up in temporary love
We don't know what we're doing, they say we're too young
But they don't know a thing about us

I'll wait forever, that's what we said

I'll wait

I'll wait

I'll wait

Forever, that's what we said

I'll wait

Id2mrPs.gif

-M​

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
xptC4rp.gif

FSC Norway - July 2020 - Gåte - Huldra

JQpAV1b.jpg

Representing Norway in FSC July 2020, and returning to the FSC for Norway after 15 months, is the accomplished Norwegian Folk-rock band Gåte. Here is some more information about them.

Gåte (the word means ‘riddle’ in English) is a well known Norwegian Folk-rock band from Trøndelag (region around Trondheim), Norway. The band came into being in 1999/2000 formed by Sveinung Sundli (violin, keyboards) together with his little sister Gunnhild Sundli (vocals), Gjermund Landrø (bass, backing vocals), Martin Langlie (drums) and Magnus R Børmark (guitar, keyboards). They played what came to be termed Progressive Folk-rock with some elements from metal and electronica and, above all, Norwegian Folk-music.

The band released their first EP ("Gåte") in 2000, and rapidly gained some popularity nationally and abroad. A second EP, also self-titled, was released in 2002. Their first album, "Jygri", released the same year proved to be their commercial breakthrough both in Norway and abroad. They also gained a lot of media attention, particularly the wonderful distinctive voice of Gunnhild Sundli caught the interest of music journalists. After the release of another EP, "Statt Opp (Maggeduliadei)" in 2003 and their second album, "Iselilja" in 2004, the band announced that they were taking a break, saying that Gunnhild wanted to devote time to other pursuits.

During this first part of their successful career they toured extensively and played almost every popular music festival in Norway, as well as the major international festival Roskilde festival in Denmark. The band reunited for one concert some years later in 2009 (now with a new drummer, Kenneth Kapstad), but then decided to follow this up with a mini-tour of Norway consisting of five concerts in 2010. The band now took another long break and many (both fans and critics) thought/feared the band had disbanded for good.

In 2016, however, Sveinung Sundli, the ‘nexus’ behind the band, began thinking of a comeback and finally persuaded his sister Gunnhild to return, together with several (new) band members. They slowly began writing new melodies for Gåte (the first new songs for 12 years) and the first of these was released in October 2017 as a single from a forthcoming EP, the song “Stolt Solvår”. A great Norwegian Folk-rock melody in their signature style, this was the Norwegian entry in FSC April 2018. Later in October 2017 Gåte released a second single from their forthcoming EP, “Rideboll og Gullborg”, and then in November 2017 the EP itself called “Attersyn” was released, to great critical acclaim, consisting of four songs incl. the two singles.

A new anticipated full album called “Svevn” was finally released in November 2018, to mostly critical acclaim, which included 10 new songs including a handful new singles. The first single from the album, released shortly before the album itself, was the song “Kom No Disjka”. It was followed by two other singles. One of the other great songs on the album, however, was the melodic and powerful Folk-rock song “Fanitullen”. This was the Norwegian entry in FSC April 2019.

In the autumn of 2019 Gåte began writing new songs for a forthcoming late 2020 album, and the first single from this new album-project was the melodic wild Folk-rock song “Huldra”, which centers around this Norwegian mythological seductive forest creature (a ‘wood nymph’), released in October 2019. This is the song chosen by the Norwegian jury as the Norwegian entry here in FSC July 2020.

Gåte are an important part of Norwegian Folk music tradition and we will without doubt hear more from this talented and vibrant Norwegian Folk-rock band in the future.

The Norwegian entry for FSC #137 July 2020, called “Huldra”, is a melodic wild Folk-rock song written and performed in Nynorsk (New Norwegian) by the famous Norwegian Folk-rock band Gåte. The Norwegian jury is happy to enter Gåte again in the FSC for Norway.

Below are the lyrics in Nynorsk (New Norwegian) with a translation into English. Hope you’ll enjoy the Norwegian entry for July!
tqcd9Op.gif

yQwRxUC.gif

Gåte - Huldra

Eg er kjær-leik / I am love
Den du trår etter / The one you seek
Eg er nær-leik / I am closeness
Den du går etter / The one you follow

Eg er elsk-hug / I am desire
Den som styrer deg / The one who controls you
Eg er elsk-dug / I am desirable
Den som yrer deg / The one who entices you

Eg er til-sviv / I am an unstoppable force
Ei som anar deg / One who knows you
Eg er vill-viv / I am wildness
Ei som manar deg / One who compels you

Synene som mange tvilar på, men sume trur / Visions that many doubt, but some believe
Hildringsette inni himmelhugen bur / Mirages that take you into heaven beyond
Og hjartene gjer så sjølvrådd, sin kur / And the hearts act of their own volition
Styrt av sin natur / Controlled by their nature

Eg er den som dukkar opp i skumring og i draumesinn / I appear at dusk and in dreams
Syner seg så brått og huldrar hugar inn / Appear suddenly, and the wood nymphs assail
Og aldri hjartefred den drøymaren finn / And the dreamer never gets peace of heart
Som eg slik vildrevinn / Such a whirlwind am I

Id2mrPs.gif

-M​

Top Bottom