Contact us

FSC #62 - April 2014: The Show + RESULTS from page 9

Kryptonite

fsclogo.jpg

Welcome to the 62nd edition of Forum Song Contest - FSC, which will take place in another beautiful country, UNITED KINGDOM.

The host city of this edition is Leeds, a city in West Yorkshire, England and the principal settlement in the City of Leeds metropolitan district. The City of Leeds has an estimated population of 757,700, making it the third largest city in the United Kingdom.​

leeds1.jpg

Historically in the West Riding of Yorkshire, the history of Leeds can be traced to the 5th century when the Kingdom of Elmet was covered by the forest of "Loidis", the origin of the name Leeds. The name has been applied to many administrative entities over the centuries. It changed from being the appellation of a small manorial borough, in the 13th century, through several incarnations, to being the name attached to the present metropolitan borough. In the 17th and 18th centuries Leeds became a major centre for the production and trading of wool. Then, during the Industrial Revolution, Leeds developed into a major industrial centre; wool was the dominant industry but flax, engineering, iron foundries, printing, and other industries were important. From being a compact market town in the valley of the River Aire in the 16th century Leeds expanded and absorbed the surrounding villages to become a populous urban centre by the mid-20th century.

Today Leeds is ranked as a gamma world city by the Globalization and World Cities Research Network and is considered the cultural, financial and commercial heart of the West Yorkshire Urban Area. Leeds is served by three universities, and has one of the largest student populations in the country with over 250,000 students and has the country's fourth largest urban economy.After London, Leeds is the largest legal centre in the UK and in 2011 its financial and insurance services industry was worth £2.1 billion, the 5th largest in the UK, with over 30 national and international banks located in the city. It is the leading UK city for telephone delivered banking and related financial services, with over 30 call centres employing around 20,000 people.

leeds2.jpg

Public transport, rail and road communications networks in the region are focused on Leeds and there are a number of twinning arrangements with towns and cities in other countries. Its assigned role in the Leeds City Region partnership recognises the city's importance to regional economic development, and the second phase of High Speed 2 plans to connect Leeds to London via East Midlands Hub and Sheffield Meadowhall.

The host venue of FSC April 2014 is First Direct Arena, a 13,500 capacity entertainment focused arena in Leeds, West Yorkshire. It is the first in the United Kingdom to have a fan-shaped orientation.​

aren1.jpg

The arena officially opened its doors on 4 September 2013 with Sir Elton John playing to an audience of 12,000. Bruce Springsteen had, however, held the first concert on 24 July 2013, with an audience of 13,000. The arena's opening season in 2013 later included acts including Kaiser Chiefs and Rod Stewart.​

arena2.jpg

Our lovely hosts this evening are: Alesha Dixon and Matt Johnson.

Alesha Anjanette Dixon is an English singer, dancer, rapper, model and television presenter. She found fame in the all-female R&B/garage trio Mis-Teeq; however, the trio separated in 2005 and Dixon continued pursuing her music career as a solo artist, signing to Polydor Records. Dixon began recording her debut solo album, Fired Up, in 2006, but due to poor record sales of her first two singles, "Lipstick" and "Knockdown", she was dropped from Polydor.

In 2007 Dixon became a contestant on Strictly Come Dancing and won. Her television exposure led to a successful comeback which included her signing to Asylum Records, an offshoot of Warner Music Group. Dixon then released a second album, entitled The Alesha Show, in 2008, which received platinum certification from BPI in the UK and spawned four singles including "The Boy Does Nothing" and "Breathe Slow", the latter of which became her highest charting single and earned her a Brit Award nomination.

Phillips by Dixon attracted criticism, as some questioned the extent of Dixon's dancing knowledge. Dixon herself dismissed the criticism, describing it as a "storm in a teacup", and refused to stand down as judge. In 2010 Dixon returned for the eighth series of Strictly Come Dancing and released her third studio album, The Entertainer. In January 2012, shortly after completing the ninth series and her third year as a judge on Strictly Come Dancing, Dixon quit to become a judge on Britain's Got Talent.​

alesha1.jpg

Matt Johnson is a Welsh television presenter and personality best known for presenting in the interactive 'Hub' on ITV's This Morning between 2010 and 2013 and for co-hosting Channel 5's OK! TV.

Matt has appeared in a Celebrity edition of the game show Take Me Out and participated in ITV entertainment series Your Face Sounds Familiar. Matt supports the UK charity Mind.​

matt1.jpg

Now that we know everything about the host city, venue and our lovely hosts, we can continue with the real thing. Here are the entries:​

We are also pleased to announce our interval act, Gabrielle Aplin, with a song called "Home".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=F3wpq-i150c

Tinchey

Re: FSC #62 - April 2014: The Show

Great show Nejc! xbow
So many big names. *__*

busybee

Thanks for the show :) I like 15 songs on first listening :mrgreen:

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member

:no: For April 2014 Norway goes for dramatic, melodious pop! :D Performer of “The End” is the talented and popular Norwegian singer-songwriter and pop-artist Maria Mena, who with this song takes part for the 3rd time in the FSC for Norway. For more information and promotion of the entry (including lyrics in English) please check out the FSC Norway-thread and the FSC Promotions-thread! Hope you’ll enjoy it!

Great Show, Kryptonite - and Good luck to all entries this month!
thumb_smiley1.gif

Edward

Really cool banners!

But I too see a couple of minimal mistakes regarding my entry. It should be "André" and there's an "a" missing at the end of the song title (not sure if this later one happens just to make the title fit in the image though)

Kryptonite

Awww, thanks to everyone!! :D

Andrea and Duarte, thanks for noticing! The mistakes on French and Portuguese banners will be repaired soon. Sorry!

EDIT: both mistakes were fixed.

SRBIJA

Banned

Great show Nejc xclap xbow

Looking at that first banner for a sec I thought Denmark were back. :( :(

eerik

A bunch of songs stood out during the LL, much more than usually. I guess it's a good sign.

A-lister

Veteran

Nice banners :)

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

Great show :D I love those banners.

Guilep

There 2 entries here that I already know and I like so much :p
Such amazing banners xheart

eerik

I think I have my top 15 figured out, in terms of songs but not the final order. Only four of those countries were in my top 15 last month. Three songs competing for the top spot. All three are in their national language, by the way.

chontono

Wow! xheat Amazing songs this month. Really STUNNING choices, well done xup
With only one listening, I totally love :fi:, :gr:, :no:, :cy:, :be:, :fr: and :ie: xbow xbow xbow xbow xbow I wouldn´t know my :12:, probably :be: :eek:
I also enjoyed other songs a lot, like :sl:, :ru:, :br:, :se:, :uk:, :us:, :hr:, :tr:, :al: and even :ro: :eek: :lol:
Wonderful, really!!!:D

kopachka

Editions like this make me LOVE FSC more and more xlove
I only dislike 5 songs after 2nd listening and I simply adore at least 15 songs. Can't wait for another listening xcheer

Top Bottom