Contact us

FSC #164 - October 2022: The Show! [Arendal - Norway] | RESULTS from page 3

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
0fxoZvO.jpg

Welcome to Arendal - Norway and to the 164th edition of the Forum Song Contest (FSC).

Theme: ‘Norway: A History of Norse Mythology’

4riXBVA.jpg

Winner FSC September 2022
Congratulations! ^^

4riXBVA.jpg

yQwRxUC.gif

The Host city for this FSC #164-edition is Arendal - Norway. It is situated along the southern Nor
wegian coast in the county of Agder in the region which is called Sørlandet . Arendal has a popul
ation of about 45.000 including surrounding villages (Kolbjørnsvik , Rykene, Eydehavn, Færvik, Kil
sund, Saltrød, Longum & Stregereid to name the most prominent ones) in the whole municipality.

M7Uutdp.jpg

Arendal is situated 260 kms south of the capital Oslo , and 65 kms north of Kristiansand , and the
municipality is around 270 square kilometres large. Historically, the village of Arendal was establi
shed in the middle of the 16th century , & was then called Arendall . Initially, it had no formal town
/ city status. Arendal received royal permission in 1622 to continue as a loading-place for timber.

9OFa4cY.jpg

The town of Arendal was given market city privileges in 1723 and was granted a full town charter
in 1735. This charter , combined with Danish imposition of a monopoly on grain imports , caused
great poverty and starvation , among the peasants in the surrounding districts , leading to several
rebellions. Shipping , shipbuilding, timber trade, mining and ironworks were important in industry.

ZOM1831.jpg

Frequent contacts with the world abroad put their mark on the local culture & traditions . In 1880,
it was the country's biggest port in terms of tonnage handled . At the end of the 19th century, Are
ndal was recognized as a major shipping centre with many wealthy shipowners . Many locals em
igrated to USA at turn of the 20th century & took their skills in shipbuilding & carpentry with them.

i7h4lXp.jpg

Today the city has small boat manufacturing, mechanical industry, electronics industry, as well as
one of the world's largest silicon carbide refining plants. There are also elements of its former est
ablished shipping industry . It faces the sea and its small islands of Hisøy and Tromøy make for a
beautiful 'vista' . Small ferries travel from the city to the islands regularly for locals & visitors alike

IrP3T1V.jpg

The municipality is furthermore bordered to the southwest by the town of Grimstad, to the north-
west by the village of Froland , to the northeast by the village of Tvedestrand , & to the southeast
by the Skaggerak sea . Geologically, Arendal is also the geologic type locality of the mineral Babi
ngtonite (is of calcium iron) , which was first described from specimens discovered here in 1824

kVTRDZ5.jpg

As for the origin of the name Arendal, the Old Norse form of the name was probably probably Arn
ardalr. The first element is the genitive case of ǫrn which means "eagle" & the last element is dalr
which means "valley"/ "dale", thus meaning the "valley of the eagle" . A link for the name, also has
been theorized to the Vasconic hypothesis, for similarity to placenames like Val d'Aran & Arundel.

QEISIdG.jpg

The coat of arms of Arendal was granted on 7th November 1924 (based upon an older seal). The
blue & silver arms show a sailing ship , as a symbol for the importance of fisheries, and sailing to
the local economy. A ship appeared on the oldest known seal of the city , dating back to, the 17th
century. In late 19th and early 20th century , the arms were slightly modified but with same basis.

vx4yvGp.jpg

sjeCZ4j.jpg

‘Norway: A History of Norse Mythology’
‘The Norse Gods in Asgard’

Norse Mythology (‘Norrøn Mytologi’) is the body of myths belonging to the North Germanic peop
les , stemming from Old Norse religion , and continuing after the Christianization of Scandinavia,
and into the Nordic folklore of the modern period . Norse mythology , consists of tales of various
deities, beings, and heroes derived from numerous sources from both before and after the pagan
period, including medieval manuscripts, archaeological representations, and as well folk tradition

The source texts mention numerous gods including the hammer-wielding, humanity-protecting th
under-god Thor, who relentlessly fights his foes; the one-eyed, raven-flanked god Odin who craftily
pursues knowledge throughout the worlds and bestowed among humanity the runic alphabet; the
beautiful, seiðr-working, feathered cloakclad goddess Freyja who rides to battle to choose amidst
the slain ; the mysterious god Heimdallr , who possesses a resounding horn; and the the vengeful
god Loki, who brings tragedy to the gods by getting the goddess Frigg's beautiful son Baldr killed.

Most of the surviving mythology centers on the plights of the gods in Asgard, their home, and th
eir interaction with other beings such as humanity and the jötnar , beings who may be friends, lo
vers, foes or family members of the gods. The cosmos in Norse mythology consists of 9 Worlds
that flank a central sacred tree, Yggdrasil. Various forms of a creation myth are recounted where
the world is created from the flesh of the primordial being Ymir (a.k.a. Aurgelmir), and the first 2
humans are Ask and Embla. Half of those who die in combat enter Valhalla, a majestic hall locat
ed in Asgard, and presided over by the god Odin , while the other half are chosen by the goddess
Freyja to reside in Fólkvangr, a meadow or field ( "army/people-field" ) ruled over by the goddess.

These worlds are foretold to be reborn after the events of Ragnarok, when an immense battle oc
curs between the gods & the enemies & the world is enveloped in flames, only to be reborn anew
There the surviving gods will meet , and the land will be fertile and green, & two humans will repo
pulate the world . Famous Old Norse texts , are the Prose Edda, composed in the 13th century by
Icelandic scholar, lawspeaker , and historian Snorri Sturluson and the Poetic Edda, a collection of
poems , from earlier traditional material , anonymously compiled in the 13th century . Norwegian
Vikings believed in Old Norse Mythology , until the country was Christianized during the 900s AD.

sjeCZ4j.jpg

OzTD1DA.jpg

Transport wise , the European route E18 highway is a major transportation route through Arendal
heading to Oslo in the northeast, & Kristiansand to the southwest . Modernisation of the highway
has been ongoing for decades and the speed limit has been increased to 110 km in certain secti
ons. Arendal also has a small airport called Gullknapp, but Kristiansand's airport is for travellers.

76Jm7np.jpg

Trefoldighetskirken , or Trinity Church, is one of the most prominent monuments in the city of Are
ndal . It is a parish church of the Church of Norway (Evangelical Lutheran Protestant) and is locat
ed in the central part of the city. The red, brick neo-Gothic church was built in a cruciform basilica
design in 1888 . The church seats about 850 people , & has 3 church bells in addition to a carillon

I5sYoEt.jpg

In the middle of the city centre of Arendal is an area with wooden houses dating back to the 17th
century . This area is called Tyholmen , & is what is left of buildings from before the 19th century.
The inner harbour of Arendal is called "Pollen" , where the fish market , pubs , and restaurants are
located. Trefoldighetskirken (Trinity Church) dominates the skyline of this central area of the city.

OpvPZb3.jpg

Arendal has grown from a traditional “sleepy” summer-city/town (with culture activities just in the
summer , when lots of tourists visit from other places in Norway, but also from abroad) to a more
"all year" city . The building of the new library and the combined City Hall/Concert Hall has greatly
improved culture life and there have also been new restaurants , bars , & cafes along the sea side.

Htk9CeX.jpg

There are several Lighthouses near Arendal . Store Torungen Lighthouse , is located on the island
of Store Torungen outside the city. It was constructed in 1844 and electrified in 1914. The lightho
use is still in use . Lille Torungen Lighthouse , is 28.9 metres (95 ft) high. Lille Torungen and Store
Torungen were constructed as twin lighthouses and both are located in the Arendal shipping lane

6qe0Tdu.jpg

Arendal doesn't have a University, but co-works with the Agder University in Kristiansand. The city
has a yearly jazz & blues festival called "Canal Street" during summer . It has been arranged since
1996. From 2007 until 2014 the popular music festival Hove Festival was located on Tromøy. The
city also has many nice (fish)restautants , outdoor cafes, & several hotels with modern amenities.

57HnXP4.jpg

City sights: Trefoldighetskirken (Trinity Church), Tyholmen (old town), Strømsbo gård (a manor ho
use on a historic farm located west of the center of Arendal), the new ‘Glass lift’ in the hills surrou
nding the city, Vitensenteret (science), Hove beaches, Arendal’s old City Hall. Sports wise Arendal
has one of Norway’s best men’s handball teams, as well as long traditions with powerboat racing.

g9hAMwL.jpg

8O6lrR2.jpg

The Host venue for FSC #164 October 2022, is Arendal Concert Hall or Arendal Kulturhus
in Norwegian. It is situated in the center of Arendal city close to the quay side, the church, hotels
and other amenities. Built in 2005 it has provided the local citizens & visitors with more than 200
cultural events incl. concerts , plays and conferences each year. The biggest hall, which is called
Store Torungen, has 700 seats and can be fitted for even more guests for music concerts where
seats are less needed. The smaller hall, Lille Torungen has a capacity of 120 seats. The Concert
Hall has state of art audiovisual equipment to provide great cultural experiences & have welcom
ed many music artists . They are proud to host this evening’s edition of the Forum Song Contest.

siCECHw.jpg

8O6lrR2.jpg

IMCDAL7.jpg

Our wonderful Hosts this evening are:

Tom Hugo Hermansen , Alexandra Rotan and Fred Buljo

fRa3yVA.jpg

Tom Hugo Hermansen (born 1979), is a Norwegian singer, songwriter and musician and member
of the famous Norwegian-Sami ESC-group KEiiNO . Besides writing songs for KEiiNO , he has co-
written songs for others. He is proud to co-host this evening’s edition of the Forum Song Contest.

Alexandra Rotan (born 1996) is a Norwegian singer and member of the famous Norwegian-Sami
ESC-group KEiiNO. Earlier in her career she participated in MGP jr as well as Norwegian IDOL and
has been featured artist She is proud to co-host this evening’s edition of the Forum Song Contest

Fred Buljo (born 1988) is a Norwegian Sami rapper and joiker+member of the famous Norwegian
-Sami ESC-group KEiiNO . He is also a member of the Sami rap duo Duolva Duottar, consisting of
Buljo & Ole Mahtte Gaup. He is proud to co-host this evening’s edition of the Forum Song Contest

KwcFoo3.gif

4riXBVA.jpg

And we are now pleased to announce

The Opening Acts

Exclusive International Guest Appearances

Selena Gomez ft. The Scene (USA)
Pet Shop Boys (UK)

-

’Love You Like A Lovesong’
’It’s A Sin’

4riXBVA.jpg

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member

:no: Jahn Teigen (1949-2020)
50 Years: "King of Norwegian Pop"

A Tribute

Once again, welcome to the 164th edition of the Forum Song Contest.

Let the Show begin!

xup

THE-
yQwRxUC.gif
-SONGS

We are pleased to announce

The Interval Acts

Special National Artist Appearances

Karoline Krüger & Marion Ravn (Norway)
Maria Arredondo (Norway)

-

’Nå Ser Jeg Det Klart’(from ‘Chess’)
’Burning’

4riXBVA.jpg

And we are now pleased to announce

The Closing Acts

Exclusive International Guest Appearances

Chimene Badi (France)
Giorgia (Italy)

-

’Entre nous’
’È l'amore che conta’

4riXBVA.jpg

Thank You - and Good Night - from Arendal - Norway!

7 day Evaluation Period

The Evaluation Period is 7 days from the beginning of the contest. If you find any songs that
you believe may break the FSC Rules , please contact the FSC Mods via PM (off the boards)

Voting deadline
27th October, 23:59 CET

Vote Collector (PM)
aardvark

OR Use your FSC Private Forum

Keep in mind, that only votes submitted in your FSC Private Forum, or sent to the FSC Mod Vote
Collector, after the Evaluation Period is finished - and within the voting deadline - will be counted

Enjoy! - and Good Luck To All Entries!

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
Welcome, everyone to Norway and to the beautiful city of Arendal along the south coast! xcheer

In the tradition of the FSC Shows I host/create, the Opening and Closing acts are International acts specifically invited to this event for your entertainment and enjoyment to supplement the National acts (the 2 Norwegian interval acts selected by the Norwegian jury + the previous month’s Norwegian winner) that are also part of the FSC Show presentation.

In addition, there are 7 selected Norwegian ‘Bonus’ music videos hidden/linked beneath (also some smaller) pictures/flags in the presentation (chosen by the Norwegian jury and this time I have included many songs that I considered for FSC for Norway but that never made it because other choices were made), a special Tribute (with a song-cube with songs) to the late Jahn Teigen, the King of Norwegian Pop through 50 years, and also a hidden ‘Easter Egg’ (an xtra song), so check well and make sure you don’t miss any of the songs!

This edition’s theme is: ‘Norway: A History of Norse Mythology’ with a focus on the Old Norse Gods and its belief system which was prominent among Norwegian Vikings up to the Christianization of Norway in the 900s AD. The theme is also reflected in this edition’s stylish and cool banners which show a god-like figure of power in a Nordic-style winter landscape among Norwegian mountains and peaks.

Let me add that I lived in Arendal myself for 10 years, before I moved further north, and it is indeed a beautiful and charming sea side city which I cared much for. It was therefore an easy choice for me when I as the FSC September-winner had to select a Norwegian host city for this FSC October-edition.

I welcome you all to Arendal, Norway - enjoy all the pictures and text and many other special features of this massive FSC October Show!
tqcd9Op.gif
xcheer

A-lister

Veteran
Great show @Malagant, must feel extra special to prepare a show in your homeland xrose

I never heard of Arendal before but it looks very nice! So many beautiful towns and nature in Norway.

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
Great show @Malagant, must feel extra special to prepare a show in your homeland xrose

I never heard of Arendal before but it looks very nice! So many beautiful towns and nature in Norway.

@A-lister Thank you, glad you appreciate the massive FSC Show I have made for everyone from Arendal, Norway. It does feel extra special to prepare a Show in my homeland, yes - and even more so from a host city that I have lived in many years and still care for xheart

Journalist

Great job @Malagant! xup
It looks really nice and we have learnt some very interesting things about Arendal.

P. S. It sounds familiar - the kingdom of Arendelle from the cartoon Frozen.

Datura

great show, i already have a favourite. really missing estonia and switzerland though :/

A-lister

Veteran
@A-lister Thank you, glad you appreciate the massive FSC Show I have made for everyone from Arendal, Norway. It does feel extra special to prepare a Show in my homeland, yes - and even more so from a host city that I have lived in many years and still care for xheart
I see now you added the info in your additional post :) So yeah, then it must be feeling extra special indeed. Looks like a very cosy place :)

hijirio

Veteran
OMG WHAT A GREAT SHOW!!!

Thank you so much for your efforts xcheer xcheer Looking forward to listening to all entries. Already some familiar names spotted.

I hope you all enjoyed the first Turkish entry coming from our brand new jury board of @hijirio @pras @Ewigkeit

We wish everyone good luck

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
Great job @Malagant! xup
It looks really nice and we have learnt some very interesting things about Arendal.

P. S. It sounds familiar - the kingdom of Arendelle from the cartoon Frozen.

Thank you, @Journalist - happy to hear you are enjoying my efforts and this grand FSC Show from Norway xup

And yes, we Norwegians did take notice of the name Arendelle in Frozen. Since it is a Norwegian-inspired kingdom in the Disney movie it is surely inspired in name by Norwegian Arendal ;):cool:

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
FYI: The FSC October 2022-entry from Bulgaria has been contested in the Evaluation Period and is under review by the FSC Mod team.

We will consider the case with a view to the FSC Rules and eligibility and once a final decision has been made an announcement will be made in this thread.

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
Announcement: FSC #164 October 2022 - Bulgaria - Mihaela Marinova - Need You

The Bulgarian entry for FSC #164 October has been contested during the Evaluation Period for being in violation of the FSC Rules and has therefore been under review by the FSC Mod Team. The FSC Mod team has investigated the matter and also contacted the Bulgarian HOJ for information.

Final Decision: Though the Bulgarian entry has some similarities with another entry we have checked, there is no documentation of sampling and we believe it keeps its ‘identity’ and originality and have therefore found the entry not to be in violation of the FSC Rules regarding Covers/Samples (ref. FSC Rules, Entries pt 10 a1/d1/d2).

The entry is therefore eligible and allowed and continues to represent Bulgaria in this FSC-edition and can be voted for.

On behalf of the FSC Mod team,

Regards,

Malagant
FSC Admin

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
For October 2022 :no: Norway goes for a beautiful Nordic Folk-ballad performed in Norwegian language! The Talented Norwegian singer Helene Bøksle returns to FSC for Norway after 4.5 years. For more information and promotion of the entry (including lyrics in Norwegian and with a translation into English) please check out the FSC Norway-thread and/or the FSC Promotions-thread! Hope you’ll enjoy it!

Thank you, all for your kind words and appreciation for the grand FSC Show I made for you from my homeland xlove xhug - and Good luck to all entries this month!
tqcd9Op.gif

aardvark

FSC Mod
Staff member
ZMSmlej.png

The Evaluation Period has now passed, and you may begin to submit your votes.
Votes can be submitted in by PM to me, or by posting in your Private Country Forums.

Please take careful note of the Voting Deadline:
Thursday, 27 October @ 23:59 CET

*No late votes will be accepted after the deadline, so please make sure to vote in due time!*

Confirmed votes:
:il::tw::lv::tr::az::fi::jp::us::za::no:
:pl::at::ua::se::ba::es::rs::it::my::cz:
:de::uk::dk::pt::lt::nl::id::cy::hr::mx:
:gr::ro::bg::ma:

Last edited:

heke1988

@aardvark :fi: jury votes has been posted to our private forum.

Top Bottom