Contact us

FSC #162 - August 2022: The Show! [Guarda - Portugal] | RESULTS from page 3

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
s774GJN.jpg

Welcome to Guarda - Portugal and to the 162nd edition of the Forum Song Contest (FSC).

Theme: ‘Portugal: Lady of the Sea’

4riXBVA.jpg

Winner FSC July 2022
Congratulations! ^^

4riXBVA.jpg

yQwRxUC.gif

The Host city for this FSC #162-edition is Guarda - Portugal. It is a city and municipality in the Di
strict of Guarda , & the capital of the Beiras e Serra da Estrela sub-region in central Portugal . The
population in 2021 was 40.126 in an area of 712 m2 , that consisted of the city proper and the im
mediate region . Guarda is the city which is located at the highest altitude in Portugal, at 1.056m.

ABWmsvz.jpg

It is also one of the most important cities in the Portuguese region of Beira Alta . Serra da Estrela
the highest mountain range in continental Portugal is partially located in the district. The main ec
onomic sectors of Guarda are: tourism , textiles, electric wire & cable industry for car manufactur
ing & for energy industries, wood, glass, marble & granite processing, metallurgy & dairy industry.

dL5PNQ2.jpg

Guarda is known as "city of the five F's" : Farta (abundant), Forte (strong), Fria (cold), Fiel (loyal) &
Formosa (beautiful). There are explanations for them all f.ex. Farta speaks of the fertility of the la
nds of a local rivervalley, Forte speaks of the strength geographically and from the castle tower &
its walls, Fria due to its proximity to Serra da Estrela, & Formosa for the natural beauty of the area

sFG3fE3.jpg

Historically, there is evidence of a meteorite impact in the region, northeast of Guarda, with about
35 km in diameter . Some pre-Ordovician evidence (from the Cambrian period, the earliest Phaner
ozoic epoch) is present . In the first centuries of the Romanization of the Iberian Peninsula, Lusita
nian tribes lived in the Guarda region . These tribes incl. the Igaeditani & the Lancienses Oppidani.

ARKJinC.jpg

These peoples, united under a true federation, resisted Romanization for two centuries. Although
there are some doubts about the place of birth, the Lusitanian warrior Viriathus (hero of Portugue
se history to present day, a symbol of Portuguese nationality and independence) could have been
born in the Guarda region in "Herminios Mountains", a name used for the current Serra da Estrela.

fc6e3gu.jpg

His death by murder by traitors paid by Caepio, Roman consul and military man who participated
in the LusitanianWar occurred in Cabeço de Fráguas in the current municipality of Guarda , in 139
or 138 BC. After Roman times, a period of occupation by the Visigoths followed. Later, the region
was occupied by the Islamic civilization and by the Kingdom of Asturias (in the Iberian Peninsula)

lzqgxiy.jpg

In 1199 , Sancho I of Portugal transferred the diocese of Egitania (modern day Idanha-a-Velha) to
Guarda, thereby founding the city. It was granted a charter that was based on the short charter of
Salamanca. Situated high up the city had a remarkable defensive and strategic importance and it
was to be a guard (whence its name) against Moorish (African-Muslim) invaders in the peninsula

so20vEx.jpg

Although there was an earlier Cathedral of Guarda between 1390 & 1396 the current Cathedral of
Guarda was built, at the initiative of Bishop D. Frei Vasco after the support granted by the king Jo
hn I. The cathedral was later expanded several times. In 1371, The King of Portugal (Denis) grant
ed in Guarda a "land of refuge" for people convicted of murder, whom the king thereby pardoned.

uZN1J4z.jpg

The region of Guarda was center of several historic events (‘power-politics’), in the next few hund
red years. In 1762-1763 the Guarda region was invaded by Spanish forces during the 7 Years War
& several towns in the area were occupied by Spain, incl. Almeida . In 1801 the Marquis of Alorna
built bunkers in Guarda against bomb attacks after the decline of diplomatic relations with Spain

sjeCZ4j.jpg

‘Portugal: Lady of the Sea’’
‘Senhora Do Mar: The Spirit of Fado and Portugal’

The Sea has always played an important part in the lives of all Portuguese men and women since
the nation resides along the Atlantic Ocean. The Ocean has taken lives, bringing sadness to many
a family over the years , but Portugal also has long traditions as a sea-faring country both in trade
and conquest. Many famous Portuguese explorers boarded ships around year 1500 and explored
the world and their names have become part of history: f.ex. Vasco da Gama, Ferdinand Magellan

The Sea ‘giveth’ and the Sea ‘taketh’ some say , & the Portuguese Nation is in many ways symbol-
ized by the ‘Lady of the Sea’ as depicted in this edition’s beautiful banners (with a Lady dressed in
passionate blood-red which also is one of Portugal’s colours, filled with passion and love and stre
ngth but also melancholy & heartfelt loss , against the sweeping backdrop of the everlasting Sea)

When Vânia Fernandes performed the stunning ‘Senhora Do Mar’ (Negras Águas) in the 2008 Eur
ovision Song Contest, making all her countrymen -and women proud, she sang with the voice and
spirit of her nation. And she did so in a musical tradition based in Fado, a form of Portuguese mu
sic characterized by mournful tunes and lyrics, often about the Sea or the life of the poor , and inf
used with a sentiment of resignation, fate and melancholy. Fado is the Soul of Portuguese Music.

The words of this beautiful song go something like this (loosely translated): Lady of the Sea, Bef
ore you you have fallen , Who comes to take half of life and peace, From this table, from this lost
house , Love that is from you , Lady of the Sea . Before you my soul is empty , Who comes to call
you what is mine. Oh high sea, bring it to me. My endless love, Oh black waters, waves of sorrow

sjeCZ4j.jpg

CZS7Yx1.jpg

The "Guarda Volunteer Firefighters" association, was founded in 1876 , at the initiative of a group
of Guarda inhabitants, concerned about the lack of a fire department in the city. In 1882 the Beira
Alta railway line was inaugurated which linked the coastal city of Figueira da Foz & Vilar Formoso
on Spanish border stopping at Guarda railway station. It's still main railway connection to Europe.

4iSllGJ.jpg

On 1st January 1899 electric lighting was introduced in Guarda , making it one of the first Portug
uese cities to be electrified. In 1897 the 'Escola Normal' (Normal School) was founded in the city
for the training of secondary school teachers . After the implementation of the republic in Portug
al, in 1910 , newspapers would appear throughout the District of Guarda, esp in Guarda and Seia.

QNMuKUH.jpg

In the following decades Portugal struggled with political and military upheavals and military dict
atorship. In 1942 the first hotel was opened in the city of Guarda, the 'Hotel Turismo' active to this
day , and an iconic symbol of tourism in this city . In 1963, the Industrias Lusitanas Renault (auto-
mobile factory) began to work in Guarda, which would be active until 1987 (ca 190.000 vehicles).

f9PHbVj.jpg

In 1965 , the Guarda Nursing School ( now known as the Escola Superior de Saúde ) was created,
which later, in 2001 would be integrated into the Guarda Polytechnic Institute. In 1980 the Guarda
Polytechnic Institute was created which began its academic activities in 1986 through the Higher
School of Education, and , the following year , the Higher School of Technology and Management

gzmpkYo.jpg

Today, besides the aforementioned economic sectors the region also has an industry in chemical
products , blinds , cold cuts, bakery and pastry as well as construction companies. There are also
handicraft activities , and agricultural and agro-livestock activities , in the rural environment of the
municipality. The city has hotels and cafes, bars and necessary amenities for tourists and visitors

ZFNtJZM.jpg

City Sights: Guarda Cathedral, Misericordia Church, Castle of Guarda, Guarda Defensive Walls, Gu
arda city square ( Praça Luís de Camões ) , Guarda Museum , the Old town , Igreja de São Vicente
Church, Nossa Senhora do Mileu Chapel, Teatro Municipal da Guarda (a modern landmark), Polis
Park (see below), Linhares da Beira Castle, Tower of Centum Cellas & Serra da Estrela mountains

ezeMMmd.jpg

Guarda hosts several festivals each year f.ex. a Jazz-festival this summer , and concerts by many
different artists. The gastronomy of Guarda is associated with the gastronomy of the Serra da Es
trela. Some of the typical delicious dishes are: roast lamb, rice with duck in the Guarda way , & La
gareiro cod. Guarda is also a city of sports & main football club in the city is called Guarda Unida.

NrAqZNw.jpg

8O6lrR2.jpg

The Host venue for FSC #162 August 2022, is: Polis Park (Parque Polis) , in Guarda, Port
ugal . Also famous as Parque Urbano do Rio Diz , its grounds are huge and measure 21 hectares.
Polis Park has large grass areas , varied circuits, football and volleyball fields, a bicycle circuit, as
well as other support structures such as drinking fountains and sanitary facilities. This is a beaut
iful place to practice sports , walk with the family and take some beautiful pictures . The grounds
include a huge playground themed space exploration , 2 cafes with terraces , and a huge covered
soccer / basketball field. They are proud to host this evening’s edition of the Forum Song Contest

cxGZCWc.jpg

8O6lrR2.jpg

eIk8g7r.jpg

Our wonderful Hosts this evening are:

Filomena Cautela , Daniela Ruah and Sara Matos

zPULFdk.jpg
pCgStra.jpg
Fyz6j6D.jpg

Filomena Cautela (born 1984) is a famous Portuguese tv-presenter , talk show host , and actress
(theatre and cinema). She was the Portuguese jury spokesperson in the Eurovision Song Contest
2017 and one of the four hosts of the Eurovision Song Contest 2018 in Lisbon, Portugal. Another
host was Daniela Ruah. She is proud to co-host this evening’s edition of the Forum Song Contest.

Daniela Ruah (born 1983) is a Portuguese ( & American ) actress and director best known for her
role in the tv-series 'NCIS: Los Angeles'. She also starred in various short films & the theatre . She
was one of the four hosts of the Eurovision Song Contest 2018 in Lisbon , Portugal. Another host
was Filomena Cautela . She is proud to co-host this evening’s edition of the Forum Song Contest.

Sara Matos (born 1989) is a Portuguese actress, model, singer and presenter. She studied drama
and got roles in the theatre and on tv. She later had roles in soap operas and telenovelas. Her last
role has been in "Segredo", a telenovela . She has won awards and gained popularity and she also
had a modelling career. She is proud to co-host this evening’s edition of the Forum Song Contest.

KwcFoo3.gif

4riXBVA.jpg

And we are now pleased to announce

The Opening Acts

Exclusive International Guest Appearances

Amberian Dawn (Finland)
Derya Uluğ (Turkey)

-

’Looking For You’
’Ah Zaman’

4riXBVA.jpg

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member

Once again, welcome to the 162nd edition of the Forum Song Contest.

Let the Show begin!

xup

THE-
yQwRxUC.gif
-SONGS

4riXBVA.jpg

We are pleased to announce

The Interval Acts

Special National Artist Appearances

Fernando Daniel (Portugal)
Cubita (Portugal)

-

’Nada a Perder’
’Fica Comigo’

4riXBVA.jpg

4riXBVA.jpg

And we are now pleased to announce

The Closing Acts

Exclusive International Guest Appearances

Sanja Djordjevic (Serbia)
Kat Mahon (Ireland)

-

’Tockovi’
’Anybody Got A Shoulder’

4riXBVA.jpg

Thank You - and Good Night - from Guarda - Portugal!
PnwwLdm.jpg

7 day Evaluation Period
The Evaluation Period is 7 days from the beginning of the contest. If you find any songs that
you believe may break the FSC Rules , please contact the FSC Mods via PM (off the boards)

Voting deadline
28th August, 23:59 CET

Vote Collector (PM)
Ausesken

OR Use your FSC Private Forum

Keep in mind, that only votes submitted in your FSC Private Forum, or sent to the FSC Mod Vote
Collector, after the Evaluation Period is finished - and within the voting deadline - will be counted

Enjoy! - and Good Luck To All Entries!

4riXBVA.jpg

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
Welcome, everyone to Portugal and to the beautiful city of Guarda! xcheer

In the tradition of the FSC Shows I host/create, the Opening and Closing acts are International acts specifically invited to this event for your entertainment and enjoyment to supplement the National acts (the 2 Portuguese interval acts selected by the Portuguese jury + the previous month’s Portuguese winner) that are also part of the FSC Show presentation.

In addition, there are 8 selected Portuguese ‘Bonus’ music videos hidden/linked beneath (also some smaller) pictures/flags in the presentation (a majority of them chosen by the Portuguese jury), and also a hidden ‘Easter Egg’ (an xtra song), so check well and make sure you don’t miss any of the songs!

This edition’s theme is: ‘Portugal: Lady of the Sea’ and the Portuguese Nation is in many ways symbolized by the ‘Lady of the Sea’ as depicted in this edition’s beautiful banners (with a Lady dressed in passionate blood-red which also is one of Portugal’s colours, filled with passion and love and strength but also melancholy & heartfelt loss , against the sweeping backdrop of the everlasting Sea). Reflected in this edition’s theme is also Fado, the Soul of Portuguese Music, exemplified by ‘Senhora Do Mar’.

Enjoy this FSC August Show from beautiful Guarda, Portugal
tqcd9Op.gif
xcheer

A-lister

Veteran
Great show as usual @Malagant xcheer

I hope to be back in Portugal one day, one of my favorite countries :love:

And for this month, Sweden is sending a collaboration between :se: and :tr: , you can read more about our entry here

Also, on initial listen, this is a very strong month... will be hard to rank here. Lots of bops, ethno and what-not... right down my alley xmusic

Last edited:

Mari Lopes

Hi, i am so happy with this show! I still can´t believe that i won in my first time here :)
@JSSArcos said that i could choose my city because it´s my first show.
@Malagant did an amazing job, i couldn´t ask more. The information, images even the theme is all about what i like so thank you so much xheart
I hope that everyone enjoy this show *-* I am so excited to be here with you guys and share music with all ^-^
If you need something, i am here for you :)

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
For August 2022 :no: Norway changes music genre again and goes for a feel-good upbeat Summer bop! The popular Norwegian singer-songwriter and artist Dagny returns to FSC for Norway after 1.5 years with this joyous Summer pop song. For more information and promotion of the entry (including lyrics in English) please check out the FSC Norway-thread and/or the FSC Promotions-thread! Hope you’ll enjoy it!

Thank you, all xhug- and Good luck to all entries this month!
tqcd9Op.gif

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
:no: The Norwegian jury votes for FSC #162 August have been sent
tqcd9Op.gif

Journalist

RANDOM TOP 23 by :ba: Bosnia and Herzegovina:

1. Morocco
  2. Poland
  3. United Kingdom
  4. Estonia
  5. Denmark
  6. Sweden
  7. Lithuania
  8. Ukraine
  9. Serbia
  10. Finland
  11. Bulgaria
  12. Switzerland
  13. Mexico
  14. Austria
  15. Germany
  16. Croatia
  17. Montenegro
  18. Azerbaijan
  19. Italy
  20. Norway
  21. The Netherlands
  22. Romania
  23. Malaysia
Another great month, congrats guys! Good luck to everyone. xup

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
FYI: To ‘streamline’ (clean up) the FSC Forum a little we have moved 4 threads (like f.ex. the FSC Chat Box) to the FSC Social/Games subforum. Check there to see some of the other threads we moved which have not been used for long and may become more visible there and, perhaps, revived.

We have kept 3 threads in the main FSC Forum as before (FSC Song Suggestions Thread, What has been your favourite country so far? and FSC song stuck in my head today) because they are used more by members, to keep them easily accessible, and to avoid confusion.

Ausesken

10 countries have already voted.

I know you are all enjoying the summer in an idyllic island with plenty of luxuries xbeach, but remember you have 7 days to send your votes, so don't sleep for too much time in your hammock.

692e9f40475105c850e65b483f3714e5.gif

kzmxgirl

The evaluation period is over and you can now send your votes!

Voting-deadline-4.png

Everyone is also welcome to participate in our new subforum: >>> FSC Social/Games <<<
You can participate in the existing threads or you can start new ones, it's up to you :) the goal is getting to know each other and have fun together!

Votes received (10):
:lv: :jp: :il: :pl: :rs: :tw: :no: :ba: :at: :cy:

@Ausesken Mexico's votes have been posted already at the private forum. Thank you!

Top Bottom