Contact us

FSC #145 - March 2021: THE SHOW! [Uppsala, Sweden] | RESULTS from page 3

Marite

Welcome-picture.png

Welcome everyone to the 145th edition of the Forum Song Contest, taking place in March 2021!

After a wait of almost two years, Sweden has claimed the victory for the 6th time in the country's FSC history. Before we start the new show, it is time to once again congratulate the winner of FSC #144 in February 2021, which took place in Cehegín, Spain: Jon Henrik Fjällgren with Mountain Dance!

blue-band.png

This month's host city for the FSC #145 is Uppsala, Sweden!

map-2.gif

Uppsala is Sweden's 4th largest city, after Stockholm, Gothenburg, and Malmö, and its metro area is home to just short of 200,000 people. It is located 71 kilometers north-west of Sweden's capital, Stockholm. With Stockholm being 40 minutes and the nearest airport less than 20 minutes away from the city center by train, Uppsala is an ideal location for people who work in Stockholm, but prefer not to live in the busier city itself. This also makes Uppsala an ideal place for tourists who find themselves in the area of Stockholm, as a day-trip to the neighboring city is easily possible. Similar to the majority of Scandinavia, the climate in Uppsala tends to be cold during winters and warm during summers, which makes it less surprising to hear that the Celsius temperature scale was invented in this region, which we will get back to later on during the show.

Uppsala-Map.png

yellow-band.png

Uppsala-Cathedral-and-birds-eye-view-of-city-Source-Uppsala-University2.jpg

One of the main sights to be seen in the city of Uppsala itself is the Domkyrka, or Uppsala Cathedral, which is located roughly in the middle of the city. With its two prominent towers standing at 118.70 meters high, Uppsala Cathedral is the largest Church building in all of Scandinavia. Built in the lat 13th century, it is a church of the Church of Sweden and acts as the seat of the Archbishop of Uppsala. Additionally, Uppsala Cathedral is the burial site of the Swedish King Eric IX, who has since then become the patron saint of Sweden. Traditionally, the cathedral has become the location for the coronation of the new kings of Sweden. Naturally, it has become one of the main attractions in Uppsala and is one of the first things that come to mind when thinking of the city.

City-Lights.jpg

Direclty West of the Domkyrka, you can find the Gustavianum, which is the oldest standing building of Uppsala University. Built in the first half of the 1620s, it was later on expanded and since 1662 contains the theatrum anatomicum, which is a type of theater used to teach anatomy. Today, the theatrum anatomicum located within the Gustavianum is the second oldest anatomical theater in the world. At the end of the 20th century, the building was rebuilt into what is now the university museum of Uppsala University.

sw-eden-uppsala-gustavianum-exterior.jpg

Speaking of Uppsala University, it is the oldest university in all of the Nordic countries that is still in operation. The university was founded in 1477 and is nowadays often ranked in the top 100 of the world's best universities. With roughly 44,000 registered students, the students make up a big part of the population within the city itself. An interesting aspect of student life at Uppsala University is the fact that students were divided into so-called student nations based on the origin of the students. The membership of one of these nations, which acted as student organizations, was a requirement for all students until 2010.

Uppsala-University.jpg

Uppsala University itself is also fairly well known for its academic achievements. A total of 8 Nobel Prize laureates are associated with the university and many other academics and scientists have made their start in Uppsala. Especially during the 18th centuries, many scientists at Uppsala University have become one of the main figures in their field of science. Carl Linnaeus, for example, has become the father of biological and mineralogical taxonomy, and the physicist and astronomer Anders Celsius, you may have guessed it, was the inventor of the predecessor of the Celsius scale, which is now used almost worldwide!

maxresdefault.jpg

Another important building that may be found in Uppsala is the Uppsala slott, or Uppsala Castle. The castle was built in the 16th century and is located on a hill south of Uppsala Cathedral. In its early history, it played an important role in the history of Sweden as a whole. The castle itself served as the administrative center of the historical province of Uppland and is nowadays the residence of the County Governor of Uppsala County.

Uppsala-Castle.jpg

Other than the aforementioned physical buildings, Uppsala also offers some beautiful natural sights, such as the so-called Stadsträdgården. This city park located next to the Fyris river, which runs through Uppsala. The park was developed in the late 19th centuries and is now a great location for relaxing strolls in the middle of the city. Whether you would like to have a refreshing ice cream while walking through the park or you feel like riding along in a horse carriage, there is something relaxing to be found about this place for everyone.

ladda-ned-73-900x506.jpeg

This next stop on our tour of Uppsala leads us a bit outside of the city itself. Around 4 kilometers north, you can find Old Uppsala, or Gamla Uppsala, which is said to be the land of the Vikings. This region is now home to more than 300 burial mounds, which acted as the last resting place of Viking Kings, Queens, and more. You may find it interesting to visit the Gamla Uppsala Museum, where you can learn more about the history of Vikings from when they were the majority in this region until the establishment of Christianity in the 12th century, which led to major changes in area.

sw-eden-uppsala-gamla-mounds.jpg

blue-band.png

Now that we have seen some parts of Uppsala itself, it is time to find out where exactly the FSC #145 show will be taking place at. Our Host Venue for March 2021 is the Uppsala Konsert & Kongress:

1200px-Uppsala-Konsert-Kongress.jpg

The Uppsala Konsert & Kongress (UKK), also referred to as Musikens hus or House of music, is a concert hall and convention center located only 12 minutes away from Uppsala Cathedral on foot in the north-eastern part of the city center of Uppsala. The UKK has been inaugurated in 2007 and has since then become one of the most successful venues in the Nordic region. The building can host up to 3000 people and the Main Hall, where the FSC show itself will be taking place, has space for more than 1,100 people seated. So please, everyone, welcome in to the UKK. Make sure to find yourself a nice and comfortable seat while we begin the show!

yellow-band.png

Our FSC-Hosts for this month consisting of two generations of Swedish entertainers are none other than Lena Olin and Eric Saade:

Host-1.jpg

Lena Olin is a 65 year old Academy Awards, Golden Globe Awards and Emmy Awards-nominated actress known for her roles in movies such as Chocolat, Enemies, A Love Story and The Reader as well as the TV-series Alias, Welcome to Sweden & Riviera, among others. At age 19, Olin was crowned Miss Scandinavia in 1974, which started off her career, not only in Scandinavia, but also worldwide. This month, she has traveled over from her nearby birthplace of Stockholm to be the first half of our host duo.

Host-2.jpg

Eric Saade, who may be familiar to most participants in the Forum Song Contest, is a 30 year old singer from Helsingborg, Sweden, and will be our second host this month. He came third in the Eurovision Song Contest 2011 with his entry Popular and has in total entered the Swedish national selection for Eurovision, Melodifestivalen. on 4 occasions; 2010, 2011, 2015 and this year 2021. Back in 2019, he was one of the co-hosts for the Melodfestivalen.​

Last edited:

Marite

blue-band.png

It is now time for the main part of the show. Before we see our first set of participants, Eric Saade is ready to perform his song Popular as our opening song for tonight:

yellow-band.png

It is now time for our first 13 participants of FSC #145. Enjoy the show!

blue-band.png

It's time for a small break where we will be listening to our first interval act. Grace is performing the 1980's Swedish pop song Ingen kan älska som vi:

yellow-band.png

And on we go with our next 13 participants:

blue-band.png

Time for our second and last interval. The Swedish group Rednex is performing their 90's Classic eurodance song Cotton Eye Joe:

yellow-band.png

It is now time for our last 12 participants of the month:

blue-band.png

To conclude this month's show, we are bringing back the last Swedish winner of the FSC #122 in April 2019. Smith & Thell (feat. Swedish Jam Factory) are back to perform their winning song Forgive Me Friend:

yellow-band.png

This concludes the FSC #145 in March 2021.

We will now observe the 7 day Evaluation period. During this period, if you suspect any entry of being in violation of the FSC rules, please report it to one of the FSC Moderators. No discussions in this regard are to had in the public FSC Forums.

After completion of the Evaluation Period, the Voting Deadline and Voting Procedure will be announced by the Vote Collector.

Have a great time in Uppsala and enjoy the show!

A-lister

Veteran
Awesome job with the show @Marite xclap xclap xclap , I am really pleased with the presentation you did for Uppsala, nice research! :)

Just one minor typo, it's a wait of nearly two years not months ;)

A-lister

Veteran
Yay, I am glad that you are happy with the show! And thanks for pointing out the typo! Weeks, months and years all feel the same these days :ROFLMAO:
Indeed I am :)

Haha true that 🤣

Journalist

Well done for the show! xcheer
Many interesting things and banners which are amazing!

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Great show, Marite! xlove Uppsala looks like a nice place to be in spring!

As for the 🇷🇴 entry this month, we've went with something more on the traditional side. The song, called Vânător (Hunter) is dedicated to all those who struggle to maintain their mental health. As Bucium described their song youtube, the hunter brings together several myths: that of the hunted hunter, the theft of fire, which appears in many mythologies, not necessarily referring to Prometheus, but the less obvious meaning of the verses refers to madness, to the loss of perception of reality. It is also about the price of knowledge.

Best of luck to everyone this month! 👯‍♂️

theditz83

Veteran
Great show Marite - loved the interval acts chosen (bless Eric Saade, that ESC song was a favourite of mine, but those live vocals really weren't great!) It's so lovely to be back in Uppsala - I only briefly stopped there en-route from Stockholm to Gävle but it seemed like a lovely little city!

After our nail-biting second place finish last month, :uk: is coming out fighting with the help of a previous winner - the talented MARINA is back but she's not happy and is calling for change as she exclaims that she doesn't want to live in a Man's World anymore. A song of empowerment and finding a balance in a world that is still so often one-sided, we hope you enjoy it! ;)

And great to see a certain song in the show that I know I already love - all the others have that one to live up to xup

Last edited:

A-lister

Veteran
So I hope y'all enjoy your stay here in Sweden and Uppsala, for our hosting entry we are sending Swedish-language soul, you can read more about our artist and entry here: Sweden in FSC#145 - March 2021 Enjoy xwave

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
:no: For March 2021 Norway changes music style and goes for powerful melodic Symphonic Metal! xup Performer of the song “This Curse of Mine”, and returning to the FSC for Norway after 1.5 years, is the famous Norwegian Symphonic Metal band Sirenia who recently in 2021 released their new album. For more information and promotion of the entry (including lyrics in English) please check out the FSC Norway-thread and/or the FSC Promotions-thread! Hope you’ll enjoy it!

Very nice Show, @Marite - and good luck to all entries this month!
tqcd9Op.gif

aardvark

FSC Mod
Staff member
8eMTZyk.jpg

The Evaluation Period has passed and you may now submit your votes.

Votes are submitted by posting in the respective Private Forums, or by PM to me, aardvark.

Please take note of the voting deadline:

Saturday 27 March 23:59 CET

*No late votes will be accepted after the deadline has expired.

Confirmed votes:
:ba::il::lv::mx::rs::es::se::no::za::gr:
:my::hr::at::az::br::ro::de::pl::pt::it:
:ca::lt::ru::ee::hu::ua::tr::cy::me::us:
:cz::id::ch::ma::dk::uk::nl::bg:

Last edited:

kopachka

Finally I have managed to finalize my first listening of all of the entries and honestly this has to be one of the best editions in past few years. There are 25 entries worth my points and I am not sure if I can make a good decision narrowing it down more. This will be painful. :(

On the bright side, I have almost(!) visited the host city of this edition last weekend. I did enter the Uppsala county though, and I marked it on the same map used in the show:

I guess this was the closest I have ever been to the host city of the current edition so I just had to share it. :lol:

AlekS

Veteran
I already know :tr: song from Ukrainian commercial
1f525.png

Nice to see certain icons xheat
Not :br: closing the show with a laid back bop & lite Lambada vibes xbeach
Much better edition, I had a trouble to distribute points xbow

tugberkic

I have 10 favorite entries for my ''12'' pointer, hardest competition ever! xheatxlove

Top Bottom