Contact us

FSC #134 - April 2020: The Show! [St. John’s - Newfoundland, Canada] | RESULTS from page 3

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
bP9WvtA.jpg

Welcome to St. John’s - Newfoundland, Canada and to the 134th edition of the Forum Song Contest (FSC).

Theme: ‘Canada: Reflections of Nature’

4riXBVA.jpg

Winner FSC March 2020
Congratulations! ^^

4riXBVA.jpg

yQwRxUC.gif

The Host city for this FSC #134-edition is : St. John’s - Newfoundland, Canada , the provincial
capital , and largest city of the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador . It is on the
eastern tip , of the Avalon Peninsula , on the large Canadian island, Newfoundland . The city is
446.04 km2 in span & is North America's easternmost city (excluding the island of Greenland)

u4yzwFV.jpg

Its name has been attributed to the Nativity of John the Baptist, when John Cabot was believ
ed to have sailed into the harbour in 1497, and to a Basque fishing town with the same name.
Existing on maps as early as 1519 , it is one of the oldest cities, in North America. It was offic
ially incorporated as a city in 1888 . Today, St. John's has a population of ca. 220.000 people.

uN0QmpE.jpg

The St. John's Metropolitan Area , is Canada's 20th largest metropolitan area, and the second
largest Census Metropolitan Area (CMA) in Atlantic Canada , after Halifax. The city has a rich
history, having played a role in the French & Indian War , the American Revolutionary War, and
the War of 1812. Its history & culture have made the city into an important tourist destination

leexdJJ.jpg

St. John's is the oldest post-Columbian European settlement in North America with fishermen
setting up seasonal camps , in the early 16th century. A series of expeditions , to St. John's by
Portuguese from the Azores took place in the early 16th century, and by 1540 French, Spanish
& Portuguese ships , crossed the Atlantic annually, to fish the waters off the Avalon Peninsula

QUGcHjF.jpg

The earliest record of the location appears as São João, on a Portuguese map by Pedro Reinel
in 1519 . When the English mariner John Rut visited St. John's in 1527 , finding foreign ships in
the harbour , he wrote a letter to King Henry on the findings of his voyage to North America. St.
Jehan is shown on a world map of 1541 , & San Joham is found, in João Freire's Atlas of 1546.

X7wNZha.jpg

By 1620 , the fishermen of England's West Country region controlled most of Newfoundland's
east coast. In 1627, William Payne, called St. John's "the principal prime and chief lot in all the
whole country". Sometime after 1630 , the town of St. John's was established as a permanent
community. The population grew slowly in 17th century. The 18th century saw major changes

tkudIJT.jpg

These were: population growth, beginnings of government, establishment of churches, reinfor
cement of commercial ties with North America and development of the seal , salmon & Grand
Banks fisheries . St. John's population grew slowly. Although it was primarily a fishing station,
it was also a garrison , a centre of government , and a commercial hub / regional transit point.

9xJBqGO.jpg

sjeCZ4j.jpg

‘Canada: Reflections of Nature’
‘Geography and Climate - Newfoundland and Labrador ’

Canada is a large nation that occupies much of the continent of North America, sharing land
borders with neighbouring United States to the south , & the U.S. state of Alaska to the north
-west. Canada stretches from the Atlantic Ocean in the east to the Pacific Ocean in the west;
to the north , lies the Arctic Ocean . Greenland is to the northeast . By total area (including its
waters), Canada is the 2nd-largest country in the world, after Russia. By land area alone, how
ever, Canada ranks 4th, the difference being due to it having the world's largest proportion of
fresh water lakes . Of Canada's 13 provinces and territories , only 2 are landlocked (Alberta &
Saskatchewan, the latter one far south) while the other 11 all directly border one of 3 oceans

Much of the Canadian Arctic (Northern Canada) , is covered by ice & permafrost. As a social
rather than political region, the Canadian north is often sub-divided into two, distinct, regions
based on climate , the "near north" (subarctic, a region traditionally a home to the Indigenous
peoples , that is the First Nations, who were hunters of moose, freshwater fishers & trappers)
and the "far north" (arctic, a region north of the tree line: the Barren Grounds and tundra. This
area is home to the various subgroups of the Inuit, a people unrelated to other Aboriginal peo
ples in Canada). The different climates of these 2 regions result in vastly different vegetation
and therefore very different economies, settlement patterns, and histories. In the vastness of
the Canadian landscape we come face to face with 'Reflections of Nature' (refer this edition’s
theme- and the beautiful winter landscape banners that do accompany this Canadian theme)

Newfoundland and Labrador is the most easterly province in Canada & is at the north-eastern
corner of North America. The Strait of Belle Isle separates the province into two geographical
parts: Labrador which is a large area of mainland Canada, and Newfoundland, an island in the
AtlanticOcean. The province too includes over 7.000 tiny islands. Labrador is the easternmost
part of the CanadianShield, a big area of ancient metamorphic rock comprising much of north
eastern North America. Colliding tectonic plates have shaped much of the geology of Newfou
ndland. Gros Morne National Park has a reputation as an outstanding example of tectonics at
work , and as such has been designated a World Heritage Site. The Long Range Mountains on
Newfoundland's westcoast are the northeasternmost extension of the AppalachianMountains

The name "New founde lande" , was uttered by King Henry VII in reference to the land explored
by the Cabots In Portuguese it is Terra Nova which literally means "new land" which is also the
French name for the Province's island region ( Terre-Neuve ) . The name "Terra Nova" is in wide
use on the island (i.e. Terra Nova National Park). The influence of early Portuguese exploration
is also reflected in name of Labrador, which derives from the surname of the Portuguese navig
ator , João Fernandes Lavrador . Labrador's name in Inuttitut language (spoken in Nunatsiavut,
an area claimed by Inuit) is Nunatsuak , meaning "the big land" ( a known English nickname for
Labrador ) . Newfoundland's Inuttitut name is Ikkarumikluak , meaning "place of many shoals".

sjeCZ4j.jpg

EupftTh.jpg

Guglielmo Marconi (Italian engineer) received the 1st transatlantic wireless signal in St. John's
on 12th December 1901 , from his wireless station in Poldhu, Cornwall. St. John's was also the
starting point for the first non-stop transatlantic aircraft flight, by Alcock & Brown in a modified
Vickers Vimy IV bomber in 1919 . In WW2 the harbour supported Royal Navy / Canadian ships.

OYVNaZf.jpg

St. John's , and the province , was gravely affected in the 1990s by the collapse of the northern
cod fishery , which had been the driving force of the provincial economy for hundreds of years.
After a decade of high unemployment rates, & depopulation , the city's proximity to the several
oil fields led to an economic boom that spurred population growth & commercial development

WWSMDKw.jpg

As of 2012 , St. John's contained 21 National Historic Sites of Canada. St. John's has a humid
continental climate, with lower seasonal variation than normal for the latitude, which is due to
GulfStream moderation. Despite this average January max temps are slightly lower than in Ke
lowna , British Columbia, a Pacific-near inland city, showing the cold nature of Eastern Canada

q9pFzZK.jpg

St. John's architecture has a distinct style from the rest of Canada, and its major buildings are
remnants of its history , as one of the first British colonial capitals . Buildings took a variety of
styles according to the means available to build them . The Great Fire of 1892 destroyed most
of the downtown core , & most residential & other wood-frame buildings date from this period.

Wm8gQf7.jpg

Often compared to San Francisco, due to the hilly terrain and steep maze of residential streets
housing in St. John's is typically painted in bright colours , earning its downtown the nickname
Jelly Bean Row . The city council has implemented strict heritage regulations in the downtown
area including restrictions on the height of buildings. This has sparked some local controversy

5gBYn9v.jpg

St. John's economy is connected , to both its role as the provincial capital of Newfoundland &
Labrador and to the ocean . The civil service which is supported by the federal , provincial and
municipal governments has been the key to the expansion of the city's labour force and to the
stability of its economy, which supports a sizable retail, service and business/financial sector.

v75B5Vi.jpg

The downtown area is the cultural hub of St. John's , and is a major tourist destination in New
foundland and Labrador , and Atlantic Canada . Water Street and Duckworth Street are known
for their brightly, coloured low rise heritage buildings , housing numerous tourist shops , cloth
ing boutiques , and restaurants . George Street is the predominant home of the city's nightlife.

s1wiQrY.jpg

St. John’s holds many annual festivals , incl the George Street Festival and the Mardi Gras Fes
tival. The city has a symphony orchestra , a string quartet, and several choirs . The Rooms is a
cultural facility in the city . It houses the Art Gallery- , the Provincial Archives- , and the Provinc
ial Museum of Newfoundland and L. National Historic Sites incl Murray Premises & Signal Hill

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
d7BJI0i.jpg

The Host venue for FSC #134 April 2020 is: the Mile One Centre in St. John’s , Newfound
land, Canada. Formerly named Mile One Stadium, it is an indoor arena and entertainment ven
ue located in downtown St. John's . The arena opened in May 2001 , replacing Memorial Stad
ium. The centre's name comes from it being located at the beginning of the Trans-Canada Hi
ghway. At full capacity the arena can seat 7.000 people . The building was originally home to
the St. John's Maple Leafs, of the American Hockey League (2001-2005) .The arena is the ho
me of the St. John's Edge , of the National Basketball League of Canada & the Newfoundland
Growlers of the ECHL . The multi-purpose arena, has hosted different cultural events through
the years , among them the 'Juno Awards' (Canada’s Music Awards event, which has evolved
into a week-long festival that travels city to city across the country). Over the years the venue
has hosted many concerts, including: Alanis Morissette , Bryan Adams , Elton John , Leonard
Cohen, Sting, Sarah McLachlan, Carly Rae Jepsen, Hillary Duff , and Bob Dylan to name a few.
The Mile One Centre , is very proud to host this April 2020-edition of the Forum Song Contest.

h0mH4pI.jpg

sjeCZ4j.jpg

9UmT004.jpg

Our lovely Hosts this evening are:

Brad Gushue and Rick Mercer

JprRumC.jpg
mRPJ5z0.jpg

Bradley Raymond "Brad" Gushue , ONL (born 1980 in St. John’s , Newfoundland, Canada) is a
Canadian curler from Mount Pearl, Newfoundland & Labrador. Gushue along with teammates
Russ Howard , Mark Nichols , Jamie Korab and Mike Adam , represented Canada in curling at
the 2006 Winter Olympics , where they won the gold medal . He is also the 2017 and 2018 , &
2020 Tim Hortons Brier champion with his teammates .Their win in 2017 was Newfoundland
and Labrador's first Brier title in 41 years. Brad Gushue is married and also a business owner.

Richard Vincent "Rick" Mercer OC (born 1969 in St. John’s , Newfoundland, Canada) is a Cana
dian comedian, television personality, political satirist & author . He's best known for his work
on the CBC Television comedy shows 'This Hour Has 22 Minutes' & Rick Mercer Report. He is
the author of three books, based on content from the television shows. He has received more
than 25 'Gemini Awards' (awards given by the Academy of Canadian Cinema & Television) for
his work on television. The Gemini Awards are Canada's equivelant of the USA Emmy Awards

KwcFoo3.gif

And we are now pleased to announce

The Opening Act

an exclusive International Guest Appearance
by the Finnish ESC NF-singer & tango-queen

Erika Vikman

performing her popular
NF Eurodance-Schlager

’Cicciolina’

Once again, welcome to the 134th edition of the Forum Song Contest.

Let the Show begin!

tqcd9Op.png

THE-
yQwRxUC.gif
-SONGS

We are pleased to announce

The Interval Acts

a Special National Artist Performance
by the known Canadian Folk rock band

Great Big Sea

from Newfoundland, performing
a very popular local Folk-song

’Excursion Around the Bay’

-and-

a Special National Artist Performance by
the known Canadian singer-songwriter

Amelia Curran

from Newfoundland, performing
one of her most popular songs

’Hands on a Grain of Sand’

We are pleased to announce

The Closing Act

an exclusive International Guest Appearance
by the famous Croatian and Bosnian artists

Danijela Martinović & Kemal Monteno

in a collaboration singing a beautiful
mid-tempo Balkan-ballad and duet

’Ovako ne mogu dalje’

Thank You - and Good Night - from St. John’s - Newfoundland, Canada!

PnwwLdm.jpg

7 day Evaluation Period
The Evaluation Period is 7 days from the beginning of the contest. If you find any songs that
you believe may break the FSC Rules , please contact the FSC Mods via PM (off the boards)

Voting deadline
26th April, 23:59 CET

Vote Collector (PM)
JChan

OR Use your FSC Private Forum

Keep in mind, that only votes submitted in your FSC Private Forum, or sent to the FSC Mod Vote
Collector, after the Evaluation Period is finished - and within the voting deadline - will be counted

Enjoy! - and Good Luck To All Entries!

4riXBVA.jpg

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
Welcome, everyone to beautiful St. John’s, Newfoundland, :ca: Canada! xcheer

In the tradition of the FSC Shows I host/create, the opening and closing acts are International acts specifically invited to this event for your entertainment and enjoyment, to supplement the National acts (the 2 Canadian interval acts selected by the Canadian jury + the previous month’s Canadian winner) that are also part of the FSC Show presentation.

In addition, there are 6 selected Canadian ‘Bonus’ music videos hidden/linked beneath (also some smaller) pictures/flags in the presentation (most of them chosen by the Canadian jury), so check well and make sure you don’t miss any of the songs!

This edition’s theme (reflected in the beautiful Canadian winter landscape banners) is: ‘Canada: Reflections of Nature’. Canada is a huge North American nation with beautiful and diverse landscapes and climates - and Newfoundland, our location for this FSC-edition, is among the most beautiful. A place of history as well, bathed in the Light of the Sea, the Mountains, the Valleys and the many Lakes of the region.

Enjoy this FSC April Show from this beautiful place of Nature, North-Eastern Canada
tqcd9Op.gif
xcheer

Ps. As previously mentioned, due to technical restrictions here in this forum on max amount of images pr post I have been forced to divide my huge and intricate Show-presentation into 2 parts/posts (not ideal but necessary in the circumstances). I have made the division at a natural point in the Show, about half-way. It should not take away from the enjoyment of the presentation, but I mention it in case anyone wondered.

theditz83

Veteran
Newfoundland & Labrador is such an unbelievably gorgeous part of the world, so delighted to be visiting there for this edition!

Thanks for all the stellar work on the show as ever @Malagant beautiful!

And the only thing left to say right now is... That opening act xheat xfaint - can I gift all 58 points from the UK jury to the opening act?? Queen Erika continuing to slay my life and brighten my days xlove xheart xlove

JSSArcos

Great show as always !!!! xheat xbow

:pt: Just to quote this month's artist ;)

" Please use your headphones to listen, it was built to guide you underwater in a surrounding art sound "

JChan

Wow, I'm genuinely at a loss for words. Thank you @Malagant for all the effort that you put into creating this absolutely gorgeous show. You showed off Newfoundland and the rest of Northern Canada so incredibly well. I'm blown away. Thank you!

And welcome to Newfoundland everyone!

Datura

wow that is a beautiful place. thanks for the show.
for the songs: i have 5 entries that i reeeeally like. exciting edition

tugberkic

Geez people what are you doing? :eek:
I have 8 songs fighting for my :12: xheat :love: I don't think that has ever happened before. What the hell? o_O

Great show Malagant! Newfoundland looks like a place I would like to visit.
who, who,who, who :D:D

JChan

d5A0cQZ.png

xcheer The 7 day evaluation period is now over and you can now submit your votes! xcheer
Votes can be accepted via PM to me OR posted in your countries private forum.

DDL: April 26th 23:59 CET

Please be aware of the deadline as I cannot accept any late votes!!

Confirmed Countries
:ca: :ba: :uk: :br: :lv: :tr: :za: :my: :it:

Last edited:

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
Just dropping by to listen to some new songs and wow what a selection I like almost all of them :eek:
Obviously I'm not part of a jury so I can't vote, but in case you're wondering here's my random top 16

You are welcome to join us.. ;)

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
Thank you, everyone for your kind words - it always gladdens me to see that my FSC Shows, which I put a lot of time and effort into, are appreciated and enjoyed by you all! xhug
tqcd9Op.gif
xlove

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
:no: For April 2020 Norway goes for melodic Neo-Classical instrumental music! xup Performers of “The Pilot”, and returning to the FSC for Norway after about 1 year, are the famous Norwegian-Irish ESC-winning duo Secret Garden. Let this beautiful, relaxing music soothe your soul in these troubling times. For more information and promotion of the entry please check out the FSC Norway-thread and/or the FSC Promotions-thread! Hope you’ll enjoy it!

Good luck to all entries this month - and remember, stay healthy and safe!
tqcd9Op.gif

aardvark

FSC Mod
Staff member
This month has plenty songs I love, it's the best edition for me in quite some time.

I narrowed it down to the following 20, having already cut a couple of nice ones:
:at::az::ba::br::ca:
:cy::cz::de::dk::es:
:it::lt::nl::pl::ro:
:ru::se::ua::uk::us:

The Best of 2019 Special edition is also up, so please have a look, I will be hoping for a lot of voters this time around.

Top Bottom