Contact us

FSC #125 -July 2019: The Show! [George Town- the Cayman Islands, United Kingdom] | RESULTS from page 8

Ausesken

Re: FSC #125 -July 2019: The Show! [George Town- the Cayman Islands, United Kingdom]

Let's make it easier: everyone disqualified, send your entries again.

theditz83

Veteran
Re: FSC #125 -July 2019: The Show! [George Town- the Cayman Islands, United Kingdom]

This is insane! Are these just very obscure samples or well known to some? I'm so confused, not sure what is real anymore :lol:

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

Who is even catty enough (or even has the time) to go through all these songs to try and find one that is ineligible. Snitches get stitches as the saying goes, calm it reporting entries for obscure sampling. 3 in 1 edition.

Mainshow

Veteran

My first time taking part and there's so much drama xheart
I came strong. My power.

hawadharma

Who is even catty enough (or even has the time) to go through all these songs to try and find one that is ineligible. Snitches get stitches as the saying goes, calm it reporting entries for obscure sampling. 3 in 1 edition.

I hope the reporter username gets announced as well to ensure transparency.. and Q&A where required

A-lister

Veteran

I am not entirely sure what methods are used by the mods collecting the entries to check the eligibility and also if jurors really check their choices properly? In the US case, even I saw on the YT clip that it used another song released in 2017 which wasn't hard to find out as it was written blant in the description for the video (the original song was mentioned). Double check the release date and use the https://www.whosampled.com/ tool is a good start to avoid things like these happening, surely there are no guarantees but rules are rules no? I for one think it's good that songs that heavily "borrows" from already released songs are disqualified because they simply aren't original songs, but some sampling is allowed though (not entirely sure the criteria) but for instance in the Swiss case the main chorus was simply covering another song, surely that's not subtle? Will be interesting to see what's with the third case now...

I'm sure mods got alot to do so if someone finds this out I think it benefits the contest's credibility tbh, this "retaliation" attitude against whoever is finding this out is maybe not the best spirit xshrug I think though more should be done prior to avoid these scenarios, but hey one of my previous entries also got disqualified so it can happen to all of us, I learned from my "mistake" and checked more closely the next time.

Geborgenheit

Please. Let's not blame others and search for mistakes!

Gabor77

Thanks for adding our "new" entry :) :us: I hope y'all enjoy Ciaras banger xcheer :lol:

NicoRobin

Thank you for accepting the new Swiss entry. I didn't know that my old entry had a sample of another song. All this is humiliating and shameful for me even though I accept the decision xsorry

Honestly, it isn't already easy to find both a song that I like and that is competitive but if I now have to check the authenticity whenever althought I don't always have the time, Idk if I'll still be able to participe in future editions.

I hope Luca Hänni will be well received despite everything for this edition, he wasn't supposed to arrive now xshrug

CypriotGirl

Veteran

Thank you for accepting the new Swiss entry. I didn't know that my old entry had a sample of another song. All this is humiliating and shameful for me even though I accept the decision xsorry

Don't worry. The same thing happened to me few months ago in a contest of the other forum. I sent a song that was a cover of an Azeri song that was released in 2017, but I had no idea about it. I was planning to send that song in FSC here too, but I removed it from my list after that! :lol:

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member

Omg Luca, this edition got even hotter. xheat

This strict sample rule of FSC's has never been one of my favourites tbh. So many songs I could have send that relied on samples and it doesn't make songs less original at all (in my opinion) :/

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

I am not entirely sure what methods are used by the mods collecting the entries to check the eligibility and also if jurors really check their choices properly? In the US case, even I saw on the YT clip that it used another song released in 2017 which wasn't hard to find out as it was written blant in the description for the video (the original song was mentioned). Double check the release date and use the https://www.whosampled.com/ tool is a good start to avoid things like these happening, surely there are no guarantees but rules are rules no? I for one think it's good that songs that heavily "borrows" from already released songs are disqualified because they simply aren't original songs, but some sampling is allowed though (not entirely sure the criteria) but for instance in the Swiss case the main chorus was simply covering another song, surely that's not subtle? Will be interesting to see what's with the third case now...

I'm sure mods got alot to do so if someone finds this out I think it benefits the contest's credibility tbh, this "retaliation" attitude against whoever is finding this out is maybe not the best spirit xshrug I think though more should be done prior to avoid these scenarios, but hey one of my previous entries also got disqualified so it can happen to all of us, I learned from my "mistake" and checked more closely the next time.

I mean, if its blatantly obvious it breaks the rules then yes but I've never been a huge fan of the level of strictness - I even addressed this in my previous post that was then ignored. But it leaves a bad taste in my mouth that people are seeking out ways to disqualify songs, someone even tried to get one of my entries disqualified over a single day because it apparently got played on some obscure radio at one point just outside the eligibility time frame and before its release date. It's good things are kept in check, but the pettiness of it with some songs is quite tiresome. Besides, we can't blame the people sending the entries always because you can't always tell the sampling is there. I never notice it usually. xshrug anyway, lets try not to make a huge deal of this. :lol: It's not like I care so very deeply for this issue, just think it's rather petty.

SaladBreak

Wow we are a part of the scandal xheat
What an honour!

A-lister

Veteran

Honestly, it isn't already easy to find both a song that I like and that is competitive but if I now have to check the authenticity whenever althought I don't always have the time, Idk if I'll still be able to participe in future editions.

I don't think you should see it as humiliating, it can happen to all of us and like some already pointed out (me included) it in fact did at some occasions. Of course it's a pity when your first choice isn't eligible, but like when it happened to me I was more like "oh, I didn't know it used this sample, cool then I learned something... on to the backup entry"... no big deal really and it only makes you more aware for future picks but hey, obviously we can't keep track of every track that has been released... I personally don't mind if someone would find out if my entries weren't eligible, I don't take it personally, on contrary I think the rules are pretty fair and I wouldn't want to "win" the contest with an entry that turns out to be a cover... but maybe that's just me.

A-lister

Veteran

I mean, if its blatantly obvious it breaks the rules then yes but I've never been a huge fan of the level of strictness - I even addressed this in my previous post that was then ignored. But it leaves a bad taste in my mouth that people are seeking out ways to disqualify songs, someone even tried to get one of my entries disqualified over a single day because it apparently got played on some obscure radio at one point just outside the eligibility time frame and before its release date. It's good things are kept in check, but the pettiness of it with some songs is quite tiresome. Besides, we can't blame the people sending the entries always because you can't always tell the sampling is there. I never notice it usually. xshrug anyway, lets try not to make a huge deal of this. :lol: It's not like I care so very deeply for this issue, just think it's rather petty.

I don't think someone is purposely "seeking out", as for the Swiss entry I personally knew this was a cover/sample since I already knew the original song (I'm a fan of the original artist, in fact I once sent an entry by her to the FSC). Of course it's impossible for us to know all songs released but I don't think it's out of "pettiness" if someone who already knew the original in forehand mentions this to the respective mod. Of course, if someone purposely "seeks out" (as you put it) then yeah, I could agree with you, but do you really think people in this contest have such petty intentions?

A-lister

Veteran

Omg Luca, this edition got even hotter. xheat

This strict sample rule of FSC's has never been one of my favourites tbh. So many songs I could have send that relied on samples and it doesn't make songs less original at all (in my opinion) :/

I also got an entry disqualified once based on the use of some random obscure Bollywood song (that I obviously had no idea about the existence of prior) as background sample :lol: ... but personally I don't mind the rules... as for these two entries though, the Swiss one basically is a cover in the chorus and the US one got released in 2017, so I think here the cases are pretty obvious... but I can agree that there are other cases where the rules may have judged too strictly. I don't think anyone is to blame here though so I really don't think people should take it personal, since it's easy to miss these if someone didn't knew about the original songs in forehand, but I think seeing already the third entry disputed in one edition it could be a wake up call for us to double check the entries better in the future and also for the mods to not accept entries too quick as well, then it could spare us all these scenarios when entries are publically declined after the show was already open.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

I don't think someone is purposely "seeking out", as for the Swiss entry I personally knew this was a cover/sample since I already knew the original song (I'm a fan of the original artist, in fact I once sent an entry by her to the FSC). Of course it's impossible for us to know all songs released but I don't think it's out of "pettiness" if someone who already knew the original in forehand mentions this to the respective mod. Of course, if someone purposely "seeks out" (as you put it) then yeah, I could agree with you, but do you really think people in this contest have such petty intentions?

Yes I do think some have petty intentions. Not everyone who reports a song obviously. I mean, I did it once over a song that was in an esc NF but that was reported multiple times I believe. With my example above (which I think was petty and was done as it was a big hit), I also had someone report another entry because the main credited British artist didnt sing - despite it being his song 100% and him the main credited artist. xshrug in both those occasions the mods made the right decision but I think reporting a song and trying to disqualify it for such small nit picky things on a technicality is ridiculous. It's probably not the only occasions it happened either, I just know from my own.

A-lister

Veteran

Yes I do think some have petty intentions. Not everyone who reports a song obviously. I mean, I did it once over a song that was in an esc NF but that was reported multiple times I believe. With my example above (which I think was petty and was done as it was a big hit), I also had someone report another entry because the main credited British artist didnt sing - despite it being his song 100% and him the main credited artist. xshrug in both those occasions the mods made the right decision but I think reporting a song and trying to disqualify it for such small nit picky things on a technicality is ridiculous. It's probably not the only occasions it happened either, I just know from my own.

Hmm ok, well maybe in your examples but in these? I dunno, I want to believe better in people taking part here, I can't say for a fact though, maybe I'm being too idealist :lol:

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member

IMPORTANT: Final FSC Mod team Decision: :hr: Croatia - Kazan - Moma Katerina

This entry by Croatia in FSC #125 July has been under review now in the Evaluation Period with regards to eligibility. The FSC Mod team has discussed this case in some detail and looked at all the facts/info at hand and also been in contact with the Croatian HOJ for clarification / information, and we have now made a final decision.

The FSC Rules have a section, Entries - 10. Songs - subsection Covers a2 which describe FSC Rules that refer to melodies based on old folksongs / folklore melodies.

We have considered the matter with a view to this rule and based on the documentation at hand have come to the conclusion that the Croatian song is in violation of the rule (ref. ‘Moma Katerina’, an old ex-YU folksong that can be found in many incarnations).

Conclusion: The Croatian entry is in violation of the FSC Rules and is, sadly, disqualified.

It will be replaced in the FSC July-edition by the Croatian Back Up-entry (checked and found eligible) which becomes the new entry for Croatia.

The FSC July Show (Croatian banner) and FSC July MP3-archives will be updated soon.

We wish the new Croatian entry best of luck!

On behalf of the FSC Mod team,

Regards,

Malagant
FSC Head Mod

theditz83

Veteran

Cayman Islands - the hotbed of the sampling drama! xpopcorn

Top Bottom