Contact us

Free European Song Contest

Romeo

Right I heard about the contest but I don't know whats happening?

From what I have seen on here it will be German singers who have roots in other countries taking part. So its basically Eurovision but with only German singers? All performing songs. Voting. Results?

Sounds a lot better than the crap the EBU have put together: "Eurovision: Here's what you could have had"

Mainshow

Veteran
The English language is no superior to any other language and we've seen Eurovision artists performing in Spanish, French, tiny bits of German or other languages despite their countries' official languages being completely different ones. I don't see the harm and we all have to make do of this situation somehow. Also, we sometimes see artists representing countries in Eurovision without having any ties to them, e.g. Eleni (Cyprus), Victor (Estonia), San Marino's entrants (minus Valentina) to some extent even Ben Dolic, etc.
I think it's a lovely and refreshing idea which is clearly targeted at a German/Swiss/Austrian audience but given the fact that other artists might not be able to travel to FESC's location, I think it's the best way to make sure that each artist have the "same chances".

Also, Germany is one of the most culturally/ethnically diverse countries in Europe and Eurovision should unite people from different countries, cultures and backgrounds and I applaud Raab/Pro7 for showcasing Germany's diversity and talents in a unique way which hasn't been done before.

Of course, I would have preferred a Eurovision 2.0 but it's simply not possible at this time/stage/under these circumstances.

They should try to bring Capital Bra for :ru: - I hate him/his "music" but Pro7 really needs to go all in to attract all non-hardcore Eurovision fans because I guess that most of us will watch Europe Shine a Light at ARD's show instead.

Mainshow

Veteran
Right I heard about the contest but I don't know whats happening?

From what I have seen on here it will be German singers who have roots in other countries taking part. So its basically Eurovision but with only German singers? All performing songs. Voting. Results?

Sounds a lot better than the crap the EBU have put together: "Eurovision: Here's what you could have had"

Yes, it's indeed happening: Conchita Wurst will be one of the hosts, we will see 15 different countries (or more) being represented by German artists or (artists based in Germany/Austria/Switerland?). The German/Swiss/Austrian viewers will actually cast their votes via calls whilst the other 12 countries (or more) will vote via juries.

It sounds promising but given the fact that I do not really like "German Pop/Rap/Rock", it can go either way....

Realest

I dont care about all the Fakecontests that take Place right now.

Mainshow

Veteran
The artists will be citizens of the countries they represent or they were born there (or their parents).

Lukas Podolski will announce the Polish points, Melanie C (Spice Girls) the British ones and also two more former Eurovision artists are involved.

Mainshow

Veteran
My guesses:

:bg: Lucy Diakovska (No Angels)
:hr: Vanessa Mai
:de: Stefan Raab
:ie: Maite/Patricia Kelly (ex Kelly Family member)
:il: Gil Ofarim
:it: Giovanni Zarrella (Bro'Sis, quite popular Schlager artist)
:kz: Erwin Kintop
:nl: Ilse DeLange
:pl: Mark Foster
:es: Alvaro Soler / Nico Santos
:ch: Stefanie Heinzmann
:tr: Elif
:uk: Hurts

Actually, I don't know any artists with ties to :at: :dk: living/residing/being based in Germany.
When I think of :at:, Andreas Gabalier comes into my mind but there's no way he will be part of this.

Stefanie Heinzmann won Raab's talent show and he's been a radio darling ever since. I think she's set.

It has been announced that 2 former Eurovision participatns are involved: Lucy (Germany 2008 as part of the No Angels) is basically set, she's the only known Bulgarian artist in Germany (I think) and she has strong ties to German media.
The other might be Ilse DeLange (The Commeont Linnets, The Netherlands 2014) - She's currently part of another German TV show (Sing meinen Song), has collaborated with the BossHoss and has ties with private broadcasters in Germany. She's currently released a song with Michael Schulte. This would be a GREAT boost for her career in Germany and it seems that her management is trying to achieve this.

Erwin Kintop (finalist of The Voice of Germany this year)'s father is from Kazakhstan, I think he's on lock as well.

Vanessa Mai would be huge, her father is from Croatia and she's like the biggest female artist in Germany right now (minus Helene Fischer).

I know that Hurts for :uk: is a bold guess but actually, they are about to drop a comeback single THIS FRIDAY ("Voices") and they have uploaded several cryptic messages on their social media accounts and apparently, they say that a "live performance" follows "very soon". Hurts' biggest market is the German one: They have kicked off their entire career in Germarny (recording their album, music video, live performances) and they are more successful in Germany (than anywhere else) - I don't know if it's possible for them to come to Germany but if I were their management, I would try to get them to Cologne to take part in the Free European Song Contest ASAF!

Some might now Elif (Turkish/German singer) due to WorldVision.

Gil Ofarim would be my guess for :il: - He's quite known and just released a comeback album 3 months ago (which reached the German Top 5!)

Last edited:

Mainshow

Veteran
Aneta Sablik maybe for :pl: ? She won Pop Idol ("Deutschland sucht den Superstar), took part in the Polish preselection and actually, I have been told that she got divorced from her husband and lives in Cologne now (where the Free European Song Contest will take place).

JamieBrown

Some might now Elif (Turkish/German singer) due to WorldVision.

And don't forget her successful participation in FSC

I know that Hurts for :uk: is a bold guess but actually, they are about to drop a comeback single THIS FRIDAY ("Voices") and they have uploaded several cryptic messages on their social media accounts and apparently, they say that a "live performance" follows "very soon". Hurts' biggest market is the German one: They have kicked off their entire career in Germarny (recording their album, music video, live performances) and they are more successful in Germany (than anywhere else) - I don't know if it's possible for them to come to Germany but if I were their management, I would try to get them to Cologne to take part in the Free European Song Contest ASAF!

Didn't know they're living in Germany. Are you sure they fulfill the criteria?

About the rest. It seems legit, even though there's one former eurovision entrant too many ;) Then again Raab mentioned the former eurovision stars to be successful and we all remember what happened to Lucy^^
It can be that Raab just wants to play cat & mouse and the public can't actually believe it's him. Then again it sounded like the german singer never was in Eurovision before. I could also see Max Mutzke going for it. Anyway, the german entry remains the biggest mysterium for me. Could be any artist to me.

I bet against Maite/Patricia Kelly for Ireland. Not against the Kelly Family. Just against them. I'd still go for Michael Patrick (The Voice coach, host of Sing Meinen Song, one of the most professional musicians of the family still). The rest went more for entertainment auditions. Not that this show wouldn't fit them, but I'd go more for the music.

I'm tired of Zarella being part of any TV show. Ofarim, Forster, Kintop & Mai would be those artists I struggle with to see. But I guess two of them are set at least. I wonder if Ofarim and Kintop can speak any word of "their" countries language, wouldn't rule it out. Just curious. If Forster something polish would be cool. Same goes for Mai and croatian.
Rest of the list would be fine for me.

DenizESC

Banned
idk why ppl compare this to the actual ESC show, yes when comparing them it makes no sense.

Aside from that, it seems like a fun lil' project, especially for German ESC fans to spend their evening with.

DaFlo

Banned
:bg: Oonagh
:tr: Eko Fresh & Umud Timur
:at: Josh
:uk: Kelvin Jones
:kz: Mike Singer
:ie: Sion Hill
:it: Sarah Lombardi

ARD wishes

Last edited:

Mainshow

Veteran
Actually, I'm quite impressed and surprised!

A pity the other artists didn't get announced. I guess they wanna keep them as a surprise.

Mainshow

Veteran
Actually, I'm quite impressed and surprised!

A pity the other artists didn't get announced. I guess they wanna keep them as a surprise.

Storm

idk why ppl compare this to the actual ESC show, yes when comparing them it makes no sense.

Aside from that, it seems like a fun lil' project, especially for German ESC fans to spend their evening with.

Well, it's called ESC and it's held at the same night. And in today's press conference they said they want to do it every year, get more broadcasters involved and potentially keep it on ESC night. I don't think it will be a big thing across Europe but Raab is still relevant in Germany and his format could be a "threat" to the actual competition, given that it is struggling in Germany already.

However, the contestants are exactly what I was expecting (like Sarah Lombardi for Italy lol) and very similar to the BuViSoCo contestants. And that was cancelled for a reason...

Mainshow

Veteran
:bg: Oonagh
:tr: Eko Fresh & Umud Timur
:at: Josh
:uk: Kelvin Jones
:kz: Mike Singer
:ie: Sion Hill
:it: Sarah Lombardi

ARD wishes

A few more artists got revealed:

:ch: Stefanie Heinzmann
:pl: Glasperlenspiel
:il: Gil Ofarim

Romeo

Is it in an arena or are they performing at home?

Fluke

So, nobody's posted about it... interesting lineup of artists, but i didn't think the songs were all that great, they probably only had a short notice to come up with something, especially since it had to be previously unheard and 3 minutes long. The winner was okay.... one of the relatively better songs but it wouldn't stand a chance against real ESC entries. I did like Der Astronaut, who got most actual votes from the public, and Helge Schneider's song, though his vocals weren't very good, so i can see why it didn't do so well.

I doubt they will do this again, anyway, unless ESC 2021 gets cancelled, and that doesn't seem totally unlikely at this point :sick:

bstream

I just heard of this today lol

I hope this was worth the cost of putting together

Top Bottom