6. 39
7. 39
8. 39
9. 38
10. 38

One vote can change everything !!!

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
...Hello....... erm.. I'm here to *nervously reads paper* tell you all that this was the greatest NF of all time. Every song was 10/10. I cried during each masterpiece. Guys, I suggest all of you vote here. These are Kai's own words. He is not being forced to say them. Also, Pentatonix are very cool.

Looren

Veteran
Hélène Ségara - Plus Jamais

A great song to end this French run, would've been happy with any winner of the NF, this one is powerful ! I think I'll NQ but I hope for a little qualification xheart ! Thanks SF for the recommendation xheart

NF results :
1. Hélène Ségara - Plus Jamais : 47

2. Christophe Maé - Casting : 42

3. Vincent Niclo - Maman La Plus Belle Du Monde : 40

4. Mentissa - Et Bam : 40

5. M. Pokora - Si T'es Pas Là : 40

6. Soprano - Roule : 39

7. Amel Bent - Ma Philosophie : 39

8. BigFlo & Oli - Dommage : 39

9. Gims, Super Sayko & Hayko - Mi Gna : 38

10. Vitaa & Slimane - Avant Toi : 38

11. Daniel Balavoine - Tous Les Cris Les SOS : 37

12. Patrick Fiori & Florent Pagny - J'y Vais : 35

13. MB14 - Ma Place : 35

14. Jim Bauer - Nos Rêves D'Enfants : 34

15. Alaska Guisti - Ichabod : 34

16. Kendji Girac - Evidemment : 34

17. Moussier Tombola - Logobitombo : 33

18. Nolwenn Leroy - Ma Bretagne Quand Elle Pleut : 33

19. Grand Corps Malade - Mesdames : 33

20. A Filetta - A Paghjella di l'impiccati : 32

21. Voce Di A Gravona - Quandd' Eddi M'Accurderani : 32

22. Fréro Delavega - Le Chant Des Sirènes : 31

23. Charles Aznavour - La Bohème : 30

24. Maëlle - L'Effet De Masse: 30

25. Petru Guelfucci - Corsica : 29

26. Vianney - Je M'en Vais : 29

27. Tom Leeb - Distance Is A Thing : 28

28. Battista Acquaviva - Prituri : 28

29. Mika - Grace Kelly : 27

30. Francè Zito - Lettera D'Argentina : 26

31. Claudio Capéo - Riche : 23

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
g5sa.png

No Parisian was hurt in the making of this banner

So. France. Land of pessimists and cheese lovers. I bet you all have conceived ideas about what my country is, and I bet that you are both very wrong and very right.
However we're not here to talk about France as a country. We're here to talk about music.

You see, I have a purpose there. A very simple one. I want to make a French run that looks like it was done by a French. Your WV list has been cute and all, but it lacks some flair.
It lacks a soul.

Let's remedy that.

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Our first entry has been sent. The first of ten. Ten future flops I couldn't be more proud to send.
Let's forget any attempt at a great result here, that's not the point.
Don't expect obscure new artists, soft indie tracks or cute French girls.
We're going to dive deep into French culture, with songs that got millions views over the decades but are probably totally unknown to most of you.

From 1980 to 2010, you will discover a short list of iconic entries for us French. Songs that still get the most response when played in clubs occupied by drunk students on a Thursday night (or is it Friday ?). Songs that we simply can't forget, no matter whether we like them or not as they've been stamped in our brains since day one.

Some are known through the ages, others are mostly focused on one or two generations. It doesn't matter.

En avant la musique !

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
WV159
Indochine - L'Aventurier

Ever since I started playing in WV I knew I would send this song if I ever got hold of France.
Indochine are both the best-selling and longest-running French band, I couldn't see any other artist opening the show.
Formed in 1981, they never strayed away from their core genres, namely rock and new wave.
L'Aventurier, the self-title of their debut album, remains to this day their most well-known song and one of the mandatory go-to tracks of the eighties.

Lyrics

This song is in reference to a French-Belgian novel series, Bob Morane

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
WV 160
Diam's - La Boulette

Like the previous one, this entry has been locked ever since I decided to play with France. And while it may seem surprising - I bet this is not what you expected - there was no way I could get around showcasing iconic French songs without putting this one out there.
Mélanie Georgiades, known as Diam's, was born in Cyprus and was raised exclusively by her mother in France. She's, to simply put it, France's rap granny.
Abandoned by her father, battling with depression, victim of domestic violence, diagnosed as bipolar and subjected to multiple stays in psych ward, she didn't have an easy life. But these events, and her experience as a kid raised in the suburb helped her write texts that people can relate to. The way her public could get her, and how she could get her public, is a significant part of her success. I was still a young kid during her prime, but everyone in my generation and the previous one know her. She even got my mother's approval ffs.

La Boulette was released in 2006 and is her biggest success. This song is probably the friendliest for the international audience, as rap relies heavily on lyrics, more so hers. It's the only genre where I think understanding the language is primordial to feel the song. It's not my favorite, despite I can totally shake my body to it, but it is definitely her poster song.

She ended her career in 2012, after finding solace in religion. She got a lot of backlash for it, but seems really in peace now, away from showbiz and her poor mental health. As long as she respects others, people should let her be.

Enfants du Désert

Coeur de Bombe (Live)

Big Up (Live)

And her last one that was deeply personal
Et si c'était le dernier

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
WV 161
Les Rita Mitsouko - Marcia Baïla

Les Rita Mitsouko is one of the most popular groups of the 80s. They played a great mix of genres that dear Wikipedia define as : experimental rock, psychedelic music, new wave, post-punk and alt rock. In short, they're weird and we like them for it.
Marcia Baïla is one of their signature song and the one that propelled them to the famous stage. Despite what it may seem, this song is dedicated to their former friend who participated in the band's tours before her death from breast cancer.

Expected flop, next time we'll get closer to hell :sneaky:

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
WV 162
Image - Les Démons de minuit

Definitely one of the biggest hits of the 80s, Les Démons de minuit is one of those songs you keep on hearing at family parties or even in clubs ten, twenty, or even forty years later. I dare you to find me one French person that doesn't know this song.​

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
WV 163
Manau - La Tribu de Dana

The first notes are probably some of the most well-known among the young adult population. As shocking as it may sound, these 3 men mixing rap and Celtic folk into a fictional tale about an Armorican warrior created one of our biggest successes of the end of the 90s.​

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
WV 164
Céline Dion & Jean-Jacques Goldman - J'irai où tu iras

JJ Goldman is an extremely popular singer-songwriter in the French-speaking world, notably in the 80/90s. I would peg him without a doubt as one of our best lyricists, tackling different themes with poetry.
Remember what I said about Les Démons de Minuit ? Most of JJG songs have the same effect. He's one of my absolute favorite artists, he had a spot reserved in my French run list from the very beginning. The challenge what to choose which one to send.
He wrote all 8 of his albums and a few more for many artists. Among them is Céline Dion, for whom he wrote D'eux which is to this date the most-selling French-language album of all time. He rarely sang with her except in concerts, J'irai où tu iras is one of those exceptions.
Fun fact, despite having retired in 2000 and living a life in secret, he still tops the 'Favorite celebrity of French people' ranking from JDD since 2010.​

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
WV 165
Zouk Machine - Maldòn

Released in 90, this feminist bop is straight out of Guadeloupe. I discovered it quite late, when I was already out of highschool, but I always knew it would figure in that list. The beat, the MV, the voices... it was perfect.​

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
WV 166
Kyo - Dernière danse

And we're finishing up with my last French entry ! Kyo represent my first music memory, back when I was 5 in my mother's car and she played their third album, 300 lésions. Soft rock would be how I describe them, there's something so soothing in their melody. Dernière Danse might be the poster card of the emo song of the early XXth century, it had always been one of my favorites. I couldn't think of a better entry that could end my homeland run.

I'll return maybe in the future, with a more modern touch, but it was important to me to share with you what makes up our popular culture. I didn't expect much success, and even I wouldn't score some of his songs if I didn't grew up with them, but nostalgia can hit hard. Still, I have plenty of that sort to send , so who knows.​

Top Bottom