6 3.9%

9 5.9%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

harey

I don't really follow trendy music in France, here are some things I like:

Prudence : she is the singer of the dø, which os probably one of my favourite French bands.

Fishbach. I really like her singing style, which reminds me of Catherine Ringer (French icon, les Rita Mitsouko are absolutely classics here). I like a lot this duo with Pierre Lapointe (it's the title song of my favourite movie from last year).

Ariel Tintar. I'm obsessed by this song. It has Caribbean flavour (he sings in creole) and it's very "elegant" (?!? don't really know how to translate it).

Zaho de Sagazan. A mix of chanson française and electro music. Suffisamment is so haunting.

Flavien Berger. Electronic music at its finest. There's something incredibly "poetic" in his singing.

Pi Ja Ma. Bisou sounds like a 2010s indie romcom soundtrack.

Adele Castillon. (She is the girl from Videoclub.) It's nice!

SpiritofKeiino

I'm more in favour of an internal selection again for France. I think an established professional act is more likely to enter that way, personally.

Kant1

Our last two entries received a lot of undeserved criticisms from French people themselves.

Alvan & Ahez were criticized because they were from Britanny, didn't sing in French, and didn't represent the country as a whole. The sound was considered too ethnic by some people and the criticism was therefore easy from people who don't know the contest very well but still care about the name of the artist.

La Zarra was a Canadian artist, and therefore she was not legitimate to represent the country. Moreover her finger gesture and the fact she wanted to embody a French diva didn't help at all, and she received backlash.

Public opinion is what it is, but I do agree with you rasmuslights when you say we would need a big name next year, just like Amir in 2016. A lot of people forget easily that we've improved a lot our results since 2010s entries (remember 2014/2015 ??), so maybe a big name would help to create a popular craze about the event.

FRFanESC

Our last two entries received a lot of undeserved criticisms from French people themselves.

Alvan & Ahez were criticized because they were from Britanny, didn't sing in French, and didn't represent the country as a whole. The sound was considered too ethnic by some people and the criticism was therefore easy from people who don't know the contest very well but still care about the name of the artist.

La Zarra was a Canadian artist, and therefore she was not legitimate to represent the country. Moreover her finger gesture and the fact she wanted to embody a French diva didn't help at all, and she received backlash.

Public opinion is what it is, but I do agree with you rasmuslights when you say we would need a big name next year, just like Amir in 2016. A lot of people forget easily that we've improved a lot our results since 2010s entries (remember 2014/2015 ??), so maybe a big name would help to create a popular craze about the event.
I disagree. Obviously there are people not liking them but it has always been the case ("Amir sings in english", "Requiem is like Indila", "Mercy is too political and other countries won't undertand anyway", no need to explain for Bilal, "Barbara is just like Edith Piaf"). You can't just say that that they are not liked because theyre are a few comments under facebook posts from people who never watched the contest and will never, anyway.

But in the end, all of them except Bilal were quite well received by the french audience (except for Alma and Alvan and Ahez, I feel like people just didn't care about them at all), even La Zarra (before the polemic about the pre-party).

Last edited:

Kant1

I disagree. Obviously there are people not liking them but it has always been the case ("Amir sings in english", "Requiem is like Indila", "Mercy is too political was other countries won't undertand anyway", no need to explain for Bilal, "Barbara is juste like Edith Piaf"). You can't just say that that they are not liked because theyre are a few comments under facebook posts from people who never watched the contest and will never, anyway..

But in the end, all of them except Bilal were quite well received by the french audience (except for Alma and Alvan and Ahez, I feel like people just didn't care about them at all), even La Zarra (before the polemic about the pre-party).
I was not referring to FB comments but more of a general atmosphere that is subjective.
If I can't say that both the artists/group I mentioned didn't receive a warm welcome from the French audience, then you can't say the contrary either.

Loindici

Veteran

I support this idea of signing a famous French name, but I'm also considering the perks of Alexandra Redde-Amiel (ARA) as an HoD.

I've read something here that, when ARA has a clear vision towards a specific artist, ARA will make sure her ambition is executed properly. That would mean an internal selection is done only when ARA is that sure of one artist or her vision. Other than that, it's likely another national final.

It's a matter of time to see, whether ARA is aiming to sign a relatively famous name. We could get another Tom Leeb as well.

b4ld3r

I really don't understand why the French delegation doesn't lean into rap and r&b more, it has such a big scene that also is popular outside of the country... Know that there are plenty of young people here that listen to it as an example. If France internally selected a song like Soldi or Cenere I think they could do very, very well.

shameless

How much is ARA involved in the creative process of the entries? You can clearly see that she is a very visible HoD. I mean last year when Lisandro JESC (technically also when Valentina won, although the camera only stayed on them in the green room) won she took the stage even moreso than Stefan Raab with Lena or Ilse de Lange with Duncan did.
I have nothing against someone fighting for their mission to achieve a great result for their country but isn't her function and having too much say in the selection of the actual artist an interfere with the interest?

Flamenkax

In the swimming pool, always stayin' cool
How much is ARA involved in the creative process of the entries? You can clearly see that she is a very visible HoD.

Yes, she is really much involved in the creative process, and for a proper reason : i don't know if someone said that already, but she's not only French Eurovision and JESC HoD but also France TV's head of music and entertainment programs. Thus said, i agree with you, she's taking imo too much place, and french eurofans have a kind of love/hate relationship with her.

Fun fact : about that Lisandro thing, i saw last JESC with my mom, she thought ARA was Lissandro's mother lol

Looren

Veteran
Nour's EP "Premiers Amours" is reaaaally good, I think she would be a very good option for France

shameless

Yes, she is really much involved in the creative process, and for a proper reason : i don't know if someone said that already, but she's not only French Eurovision and JESC HoD but also France TV's head of music and entertainment programs. Thus said, i agree with you, she's taking imo too much place, and french eurofans have a kind of love/hate relationship with her.

Fun fact : about that Lisandro thing, i saw last JESC with my mom, she thought ARA was Lissandro's mother lol
I thought that too! She was also the only one that Lisandro bothered to hug after winning while robbing his entire background dancers and instead falling on the floor several times. :D

You all know that if La Zarra would've won she would've followed her all up to the stage, standing behind her, lifting La Zarras arms up to make the victory pose and not letting go of her hostage as she did with poor little Valentina in 2020. :LOL:
iD5xhFu.png

Top Bottom