Me voilà dans le bruit et dans la fureur aussi
Regardez moi enfin et mes yeux et mes mains
Tout c'que j'ai est ici, c'est ma gueule c'est mon cri
Me voilà, me voilà, me voilà
Voilà, voilà, voilà, voilà
Voilà​

Last edited by a moderator:

Grinch

I also do not want to see her winning but i can live with it if it happens. I think it's better than both Portugal 2017 and Ukraine 2016 but i do not like any of them after all.
For me Ukraine 2016 > France 2021 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Portugal 2017

That thing was not a song, I don't know what it was but not a song.

VikingTiger

Do all songs need to be radio Pop though? xshrug

And I disagree with you, there are many ways you can incorporate influences, it doesn't need to be full-blown chanson... the other page I mentioned Indila as an example of how you can incorporate traditional French elements in a modern original package.

You are asking for a lot!!! You want a winner with potential cross-over effect to main-stream music/listeners... but at the same time you want the entry to keep traditional elements... That would be awesome, I agree.
Every now and then such an entry does come along, but it's just too much to expect such an entry from all the competing 40ish countries year after year (when big parts of Europe is under heavy american/anglo influence).
But you mentioned Indila, she would be a fantastic representative for what you are craving.

A-lister

Veteran
You are asking for a lot!!! You want a winner with potential cross-over effect to main-stream music/listeners... but at the same time you want the entry to keep traditional elements... That would be awesome, I agree.
Every now and then such an entry does come along, but it's just too much to expect such an entry from all the competing 40ish countries year after year (when big parts of Europe is under heavy american/anglo influence).
But you mentioned Indila, she would be a fantastic representative for what you are craving.

I mean let a fanboy dream right? :lol:

I'm not expecting all countries to come up with that and obviously I am fully aware of the heavy american/anglo influence we're facing, I'm just saying that there at least should be such an ambition.

My point was that you can do it in many ways, sometimes it can even be subtle elements here and there (Israel for instance this year isn't an ethno-bop in your face such as Azerbaijan or Serbia, but it still incorporates some subtle ethnic elements).

I doubt we're ever going to see Indila in ESC, but it's more an example of that incorporating local elements doesn't need to be static or the same thing over and over again, there's alot of room to play around with, look at Ukraine and Russia this year? Sounds like nothing else yet the ethnic/local elements are obviously big part of those songs. If anything sending safe radio Pop like Sweden does each year is static.

Also, of course it doesn't have to be incorporated into pop, it can be incorporated into other genres as well such as rock or jazz or whatever. Plus, it doesn't have to be "ethnic" elements, some music is distinctively local like ItaloPop for instance and alot of the music we see in Sanremo is very "Italian" sounding without having any ethnic elements, so that's also an option to go with. Clara Klingenström in this year's MF is a very Swedish sounding song, not just with using native language but stylistically, and it doesn't have any ethnic elements to it what-so-ever, so there are many possibilities here, you don't need to go full "American" or stereotypical ethnic/local.

Last edited:

VikingTiger

I mean let a fanboy dream right? :lol:

I'm not expecting all countries to come up with that and obviously I am fully aware of the heavy american/anglo influence we're facing, I'm just saying that there at least should be such an ambition.

My point was that you can do it in many ways, sometimes it can even be subtle elements here and there (Israel for instance this year isn't an ethno-bop in your face such as Azerbaijan or Serbia, but it still incorporates some subtle ethnic elements).

I doubt we're ever going to see Indila in ESC, but it's more an example of that incorporating local elements doesn't need to be static or the same thing over and over again, there's alot of room to play around with, look at Ukraine and Russia this year? Sounds like nothing else yet the ethnic/local elements are obviously big part of those songs. If anything sending safe radio Pop like Sweden does each year is static.

Also, of course it doesn't have to be incorporated into pop, it can be incorporated into other genres as well such as rock or jazz or whatever. Plus, it doesn't have to be "ethnic" elements, some music is distinctively local like ItaloPop for instance and alot of the music we see in Sanremo is very "Italian" sounding without having any ethnic elements, so that's also an option to go with. Clara Klingenström in this year's MF is a very Swedish sounding song, not just with using native language but stylistically, and it doesn't have any ethnic elements to it what-so-ever, so there are many possibilities here, you don't need to go full "American" or stereotypical ethnic/local.
I do actually... completely agree with you!

xdance2

Milos-BC

It is not among my main favorites but it's sitting comfortably in my top 10. A classy song that has the spirit of Eurovision. I am not betting, but if I had to, I would bet on :fr: winning on Saturday.

7 points.

Barbara Pravis curls popping out just now as a paid adverisement on my YT video of relaxation bedtime music makes me annoyed. Don't!

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
I might be one of those people @Gera11 thinks of. Barbara is absolutely alluding to Édith Piaf and I won't deny it. But it's still a mere allusion made in the context of chanson being a part of French cultural tradition and Barbara having some similar physical features to Édith. True, Barbara could've dyed her hair blonde and sung some English rap on Mars, but one must still admit a big part of Barbara reminding of Édith is due to Barbara's identity just being similar to the stereotype people have of French female chanson. There surely is some amount of intent, but Barbara is not a copycat from scratch, the question is more about adjusting elements around the core of what Barbara really is and what she naturally does. You could even argue this is more question of paying homage.

It's not just about the physical similarities or the genre of the song though, it's her whole attitude. The fact she stands alone with only a mic, the gestures, the stage presence etc. Had tey been alone I wouldn't have cared less about these elements, but put all together I can't turn a blind eye.
And we actually touch upon one of the main problems I have with this entry : we get 2 contradictory messages.
She's singing about how she finally made it and wants to introduce herself to the world, in all her imperfect glory. But it's impossible to not see Edith Piaf in her live performance, it's confusing.
And to be sure I wasn't imagining things, I looked at her others songs and performances in tv shows, they all somehow seem more... genuine. It's supposed to be the song showing her true self, but it's the one that seems the least like herself :(

The fact that it's ticking all the boxes of classical French chanson doesn't help either, to the point it loses its identity and becomes too much.

GermanBango

A theoretical question for the Frenchies:
IF Switzerland would end up winning on Saturday would you...
a. be happy because finally a song sung in your native language managed to win again
or ...
b. be pissed because a French song won after such a long time and it`s not even the French entry.
Just curious as I know you guys are really proud of your language (wish Germans would be too - German linguistics student here haha)

Lindon

This could be the comeback of French. Where the heck is Zoë Straub? Loin d’ici?

Marvelous

a. be happy because finally a song sung in your native language managed to win again
or ...
b. be pissed because a French song won after such a long time and it`s not even the French entry.
Just curious as I know you guys are really proud of your language (wish Germans would be too - German linguistics student here haha)

I'd be happy personnally.

ory26

or ...

I don't like the swiss song, but i will be happy if Gjon win but only if Barbara is not second or a very distant second ^^

In fact i will be a little disapointed with a french win too because that mean we can have international succes only with thing stereotyped and not representing the France of 2021.

popavapeur

or ...

Couldn't care less If I have to be honest lmao :D

Like if he wins, congrats sis, but I Hope it will rub some stupid french guys proud about anything France is doing the wrong way :D
Wonder what is going the be the excuse this time for us loosing as they usually say "French language is hated" and some other stupid shit :D

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
or ...
I would be happy because if they host in Geneva I wouldn't be far from there :lol: And tbh it would make me laugh more than anything (because of b)

harey

or ...
I wouldn't care if Switzerland wins in French and not France, to me it's a strange question, I don't get the b. option. I'm not a patriotic person and I just want to see a song I like to win. 🤓 I don't like both songs, I would like an other non-English song to win (Ukraine, Italy or Russia).

And I WANT Germany to send a song in German in a near future, as it is my 1st foreign language.

Top Bottom