-returning atrist for the second time
-has to have roots in another country
-has to be loved by me in his first year

Based on that, I DEMAND a Jessy Matador return. xbounce

tuorem

Based on that, I DEMAND a Jessy Matador return. xbounce

15575755672801488424.png

:lol:

Honestly, even with Destination Eurovision next year, I highly doubt we'll see past representatives or candidates. It seems like we don't have that "tradition" in France.

And even if Matador happened to return, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that he'd win our NF because 1) he isn't known, which is a hindrance compared to more famous acts, and 2) it seems upbeat, lighthearted and modern songs (sadly) have been the perfect recipe for failure in DE so far.

Personally, regardless of the singer, I hope we'll send something that people abroad don't expect us to pick, something daring. But given how viewers and juries voted in the last two editions, we will once again send something lukewarm with a pseudo-message. :?

DaFlo

Banned
Go back to internals and pick one of them:

Gesaffelstein
Kavinsky
Hyphen Hyphen
Soprano
Ridsa
Shy'm

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
Would love to see some ::brit representation in Eurovision again! France's 1996 entry is my all-time favorite. xheart

So either a return of Dan Ar Braz or a debut of Nolwenn Leroy or Cécile Corbel would be fantastic!

Eulaliya

Yara Lapidus for DE pls xpray

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Go back to internals and pick one of them:

Gesaffelstein
Kavinsky
Hyphen Hyphen
Soprano
Ridsa
Shy'm

As much as I would like to see Hyphen Hyphen, there're two problems : 1) they have no reason to participate, they're quite well known outside France and 2) the language.
You see, there's one condition the artist, whoever they may be, should respect if they want a shot at being loved by the French public : sing in French or a regional language.
Sing the entire song in English and beware of the scandal :mrgreen:

FRFanESC

Omg, "Entendez-vous" from Cécile Corbel, I love this song so much. I'd love to hear something like this.

About the processus of the selection, I really would like us to come back to an internal selection. Even if it lasts just a year but I'd like to see what Steven could give us. Edoardo gave a 6th place to France. I'm sure that Steven could bring us at least the same result (he brought us a 2nd place at the JESC).

So that we can bring Destination Eurovision in 2021 and the public will feel more invested after the possible top 10 from the internal selection.

A pop uptempo song would be good, a song that everyone will like at the first listen, this is what we need, a bop. Because, as Tuorem said it, Destination Eurovision viewers will never vote for a bop, excepted if it is sung by Kendji, lol.

r3gg13

To quote one of Bilal's song, "don't be basic." France has been pushing the envelope the past 2 years with fairly edgy songs (far from basic). I hope that continues this year.

Alaska49

To quote one of Bilal's song, "don't be basic." France has been pushing the envelope the past 2 years with fairly edgy songs (far from basic). I hope that continues this year.
oooooh, don't dare to say roi wasn't basic, you will get murdered by the seemone police for telling the truth!!!

i have little problems with DE so far but i do think france should reward something not midtempo next time. either go all out ballad (NOT A BAD ONE THOUGH thank you) or give us a banger. either way, DE is good, y'all just need to ditch international juries (as does everyone forever - am i a-listing too much about them? lmao).

Antho

I don't know if I can trust DE anymore. There's always a lot of good songs, but the way they were all eliminated this year kinda scares me for next year's selection. As Alaska49 said, I think we should get rid of the juries. Steven (HOD) knows what he's doing, I know he's not going to let us down, I can't wait to see what he'll be doing next year.

We could just send Florina tbh

tuorem

Without the juries, Battista Acquaviva, Florina and Gabriella would have qualified over Sylvàn Areg, Aysat and Doutson. But ultimately we would have had Hassani anyway.

If they want to keep juries and not have 100% televoting semis, at least they could bring back the French ones, and have the international ones for the final only so that they cannot sabotage the selection.

Whatever France 2 will do (should they continue DE), I won't hold my breath because I feel like neither juries nor viewers supported the right acts these first two editions. :lol: Now that we have a HoD who can concoct us good stagings, we have to think out-of-the-box musically, not eternally rely on humanist messages or typical French ballads.

Right now, I'm just hoping for a decent selection with maybe a few promising efforts.

I want us to send a refreshing sound next year, something that stands out and that people don't expect from France.

Alaska49

more than any other country, france needs to draw a page from italy's book. the industry there is too big and too proud for them to not be able to set up something that can attract more interesting names and more visionary compositions. obviously it would never be at the level of sanremo because that one has decades of tradition and eurovision is an afterthought, but still, the potential is there.

also sanremo DOESN'T HAVE INTERNATIONAL JURIES SQUASH THEMMMM

harey

Haha, Jessy Matador is my favorite recent French entry but as said before I'm pretty sure that no party song will win DE. (Comme une grande was my favourite this year but we all know how it ended for her).

I really like DE because it puts more attention to Eurovision here in France and it makes me happy but I think that it will be difficult to get daring songs winning.

I come from Brittany and of course it would make me happy to have something from here in DE. But maybe something more modern and sung in breton or something with a good atmosphere because I don't think that purely traditionnal music could work. (I don't like Nolwenn Leroy at all, haha)

My favourite french band (and wish they could represent us even if I know they wont because they even don't think in french and I don't think they are interested) is the dø. I wish we could have something of the same style than la vague by Izia because it's full of energy

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Comme une grande was also not very good live. A party song could definitely win if it survives the transition (which isn't self-explanatory, since most of them don't).

Personally I have no real wishlist for France but I do hope they can do better than last year. D:E 2019 wasn't bad, but there was so much amateur shit clogging up the heats.

Loindici

Veteran
France... actualy picks quite intersting big names this year (Chimene Badi, Bilal Hassani, Emmanuel Moire) but they didn't bring more competitive songs. Next time they do DE it's better to make the songs on a same level altogether. I trust Steven Clerima, but there's a need to take a break from a star like Bilal for a season.

Loindici

Veteran
By the way, any chances of someone like Indila to be shortlisted?

tuorem

Indila got lost in the wilderness years ago. No one really knows if she will ever come back.

We tried to copy her style with Alma in 2017, but it wasn't on the same level musically and vocally.

In 2014 when she promoted her album, an interviewer told her we could have a serious chance to win if she represented us, and she replied something along those lines: "That's flattering, thank you! I have been asked about Eurovision a lot recently. I was very surprised because it is like an exclusivity to me. I didn't think I had what it takes as an artist to represent France, so I was very pleased. However I think I would decline such a nice offer because it means lots of pressure and responsibilities: I would not like to disappoint the country. Also, more publicity than I already have in the media would not help!"

Would she change her mind now? Who knows? It would already be a miracle if she released new music to begin with.

While we're at it, Najoua Belyzel, the artist Indila was compared to when she debuted, was offered to go to Eurovision with her song "Luna" (presumably in 2015). But she rejected the proposal because she never was drawn to the contest and couldn't imagine undergoing the preparation required to get there.

Top Bottom