Contact us

First impression

midnightsun

Veteran
Another year, some new songs - so far - but I did not have time yet to listen to each of the songs properly more than a few times. Which is good in so far my first impressions are very fresh. And as we know it might be a good hint what will go well with the public because most of the audience will listen to the songs for the first time on the grand final evening. So let's get through the released songs so far and please, write YOUR impressions down below. Short and crisp. :)

Albania: Albania being Albania. This song sounds like basically (almost) every Albanian song the past years. Nice to listen to but not overly exciting. Won't qualify.

Australia: Edgy, modern. One of the biggest surprise bags this year. CAN go well with the public but I can also see this NQ. Probably not a jury fav this time.

Austria: At first I was like - "meh" but as soon as he started his Jamiroquai groove and moves I was into it. Funky, does no harm, probably too little harm so that it won't pass.

Belarus: They had worse songs the past years. It's a song you really wish for it to pass because it sounds good the first time you listen to it. But then there's another good song and another and another and suddenly all 26 spots are gone and it's like "Sorry Belarus, you're good but the others are better".

Belgium: This is sooo good! My favourite until a certain song (which one, see below) was released. James Bond, Trip hop, sad, indie, say what you want about it but Belgium has never disappointed me the past years. This is absolutely something I listen to in private but I guess hard to grab for the Eurovision audience.

Croatia: See Albania.

Czech Republic: Probably my least favourite so far. I'm not into that kind of music at all and it doesn't appeal to me in any way. Besides, it's not innovative.

Estonia: Boring. I dont know any other word to describe it. It's in my ranking right above the Czech Republic.

France: Boring. I dont know any other word to describe it. It's in my ranking right above Estonia.

Georgia: Maaaaan, this is goood. I needed this. What a voice! It's something that will make in impression. This makes me want to yell everything I am mad about out. Not an easy one for sure. Won't probably qualify but I like Georgia's efforts in being different each year. This is Nirvana + Linkin Park + Soundgarden which gives me goosebumps, considering the death of all three singers.

Germany: I don't like his voice in the studio version but I think it will sound great live. I really like this! This has grower potential.

Greece: It's good. But I'm not as much into it as other people. It's catchy but too generic imho.

Iceland: I am not entirely hyped by this like many others but it certainly has its moments. I like and appreciate it and I want it in the final for entertaining purposes.

Isreal: Yeah, I'm swaying to and from good and bad. It has this "something". Something very unique. But on the other hand it feels so predictable.

Ireland: Katy Perry and Kelly Clarkson met each other at a pub and yell their song while drunk, get in a fight and say 'na na na na na....' both being 18. Or 21. Whatever the earliest legal drinking age in Ireland is. No for me.

Italy: Another GREAT song! Top 3 for me. It's one of these songs that are simple yet so pleasant to listen to. The voice, the language. If you wanna get in a dreamy mood this year, Italy is your song to go.

Lavtia: Don't listen to that kind of music. Very down below in my ranking.

Lithuania: If a songer ever screamed "catchy", then this is. This is a happy upbeat song that everybody likes. It's in my persnal top 5 but I'm not sure ift it's enough to survive the semi.

Moldova: This is really good and totally underrated. It's like all of Moldova's songs: always a bit dated but likable.

The Netherlands: This is amazing! I'm really glad they chose this instead of attempting to win a secnd time (which country wants this anyway?). It's shows absolutely the right mood and will be a very good moment to calm down and reflect yourself. I love this!

Norway: I don't want to like this because it's so generic and sounds like Australia and is so uninspiring and we had lots of songs like this the past years... but I like it! I cant help it! I can't dislike it even if I want to!

Poland: Oh my God! Finally, after more than 10 years, there's a Polish song I like. And that is... wow! Just wow! That voice, it's incredible. I get some Maja Keuc vibes only that it's less mainstream than Keuc. It has deserved to go to the finals but not sure it will.

Romania: I'm sorry but I don't get behind this and not into this. It's neither very melodic nor am I sure if I like that drunken attitude on stage. Even if it's for the song.

Serbia: This songs unites every cliche of Eurovision 2004-2009. It's a love-hate-thing. This is ridiculous but at the same time we need this! This is Eurovision!

Slovenia: Typical Balkan ballad. I like it a lot but I also have to admit this kind of song has been paling over the past years. She'd deserve to pass but there are so many other songs...

Spain: Phew. I dont know what to say about this. It's not very high in my ranking but there are a few songs worse. It's there. Period.

Switzerland: THIS IS IT! My number one! This is so so so amazing, I'm speechless. This is perfect in so many ways. The voice, the lyrics, the melody. It's like Arcade last year mixed with Beautiful mess but more edgy. I hope people will get this. This has the overall package, it screams winner! If it was up to me!

UK: It's really okay. This is a song that I like when I'm listening to it. After it ends, it's already forgotten and I don't feel the urge to listen to it again.

Ukraine: This is amazing! I loved it from the very start the first time I listened to it. Certainly (my personal) top 5 material. I love ethnic rhymes combined with EDM so it's something that really catches you! You want to liste to this once more because it's fascinating. Really good job, Ukraine! Reminds me a bit of Georgia 2007 (Visionary dream).

midnightsun

Veteran
Armenia: not my kind of music at all. Very much at the bottom of my ranking.

Cyprus: it takes a while to get into it but it’s actually quite good. If its live performance is similar to Cingiz last year it will be an eyegasm. Not really a contender for going to the final - should‘ve invited him for the entertaining purposes in the big break.

Bulgaria: please don’t let this win! 😳 it‘s awful in so many ways yet overhyped...

midnightsun

Veteran
Portugal: I honestly have to say that I am NOT impressed. After three amazing years (though I didn't like two of them I appreciate their effort and I know it's quality, it wasn't just my taste of music) they went back to their (boring) roots.

Sweden: Same rhythm as John Lundvik last year only more boring. First time in years I really don't care about Sweden's entry!

Finland: Oh, this is sweet! One of my personal dark horses. It's rather improbable he will qualify but I wish he would. It's a bit generic but incredibly soothing, like Lithuania 2018 or Slovenia 2019. We need a bit for the gloomy dreamy mood this year and Finland's to go for it!

North Macedonia: It's not that bad! But not good either. I appreciate for the fun and diverse part but other than that there's nothing appealing to me musicwise.

Denmark: Congratulations. You've just sent the MOST ANNOYING SONG EVER! I dont know where to begin which part of it makes me cringe the most. It's like Denmark 2010 and Naviband met and wrote a song together with Krista Siegfrids and threw it in the trash eventually and then these two came along, took it out and went like "we can't sing but hey, it's the taking part that counts".
WHY IS THIS SO HIGH IN ALL THE YOUTUBE FAN RANKINGS??!! Please!!!! Help!

• Like It
Reactions: Uto

Uto

Veteran
Denmark: Congratulations. You've just sent the MOST ANNOYING SONG EVER! I dont know where to begin which part of it makes me cringe the most. It's like Denmark 2010 and Naviband met and wrote a song together with Krista Siegfrids and threw it in the trash eventually and then these two came along, took it out and went like "we can't sing but hey, it's the taking part that counts".
WHY IS THIS SO HIGH IN ALL THE YOUTUBE FAN RANKINGS??!! Please!!!! Help!
Yes, spread the word. I can't listen to it. I have tried a couple of times, but I just can't get it done. It really makes my blood boil.

midnightsun

Veteran
Yeah. It's nagging in and on me everywhere!

Malta: Hey! This is gooood! Although it might be a little copy of Germany (which is a copy of... basically every generic EDM song, so...). But she's got more charisma than Ben (who's sweet! No bad word about him! But Destiny is power!)

San Marino: I have never watched such a collection of plagiarism in one song, but let Run DMC, Black eyed peas and almost every popular music act of the 70s aside, this is FCKING DARN GOOD!!! Guilty pleasure for sure, please let this go to the final! I beg you, fellow ESContesters!

Last edited:

randajad

Veteran
Firstly, I hate long posts, and this one is going to be one, so yay :lol: I tried to find all of my first comments, some of them are obscure to say the least, so I tried to understand what I anted to say. :lol: Countries in italics are ones which NFs I followed and watched.

Germany: "Oh my, I am really into this. Well done Germany? xheat " I was so happy when I heard it. It is straight up my alley, it's like something you'd find on my playlists.
Bulgaria: I did not comment this entry at all, but it was love from the first listening. Something I would and will listen beyond the contest itself. 9 or in the poll 10
Moldova: I did not comment it at all, not a single post in Moldova thread, not a good sign, but I believe did not mind the song since I think the same today. Gave it a 4, probably did not change
Belgium: I left just an Iris was forgettable comment. My first impression as I remember was "classy, but boring". Now I like it much more. No idea what I gave them at first, but it was upgraded to six at some point.
Greece: I was unimpressed, and still am. I don't care about the song, hated and still hate that exclamation mark in the song title. Gave it 5, did not change it.
UK: "This is very good, great entry." and I still mean it. 8
Slovenia: "I gave it 3 :/" Love Ema Freš idea, they should have ended with that only. The EMA seemed good at first, but it turned out to be really bland. In the end I did follow EMA a bit, but did not watch it and I believe there were better songs. It is still a 3
France:
"It is not that bad, but it is boring and sad it comes from such a country with a huge music industry/history like France. Sad. " Totally true. He seems like a nice guy, and an ok artist, he sings it well, but the song is just underwhelming. Gave it 2 and downgraded it to 1.
Belarus: "Very nice Belarus, this is very good. (y)" and it is. I was so happy with it being in Belarussian. Gave it 5, but it just keeps growing on me.
Serbia: "Hurricane are not at their best." Totally true, although I grew to it. The think I like the most about them is that they are the first act in years that represents the current sound and the music currently popular in former yugoslav countries. No idea which mark did I give them, but now it's 6. At first I find Beovizija to be trashy this year, but after the semis, the final was really good and fun.
Iceland: "Great choice Iceland xheat" Great fun entry and an 8
Austria: "It’s okay, better than expected. Funky, interesting, even a bit like something Justin Timberlake would do. I give it 7 for now. " Later I downgraded it to 6, than to 5, but it is growing on me. Another fun entry.
Georgia: "Unapologetically Georgian, love it." Georgia being Georgia, very fresh and different in a good way. 7
Italy: Tbh, the thread is too big for me to search it up :lol: I wish I followed San Remo better, I watched it, I did hear the songs and downloaded like 10 of them. When I first heard Fai Rumore I liked it, it is just a very good already a classic Italian song, however I was more of Elodie fan. My mark for this one was and still is 8
Cyprus: My first comment here was the same as Ashley's comment actually: "My first thought: thank you jesus its not some 'bless am so emotion with my guitar, hipster hat and slow love ballad teen girls come at me'. I like it, it definitely exceeds my expectations, but i find it so ordinary and a bit basic. Even if it is a very radio friendly song, reminds me of some of our music. Of the back of Eleni and Tamta it feels like a step down though. Idk how competitive this going to be semi 1. I need more listens but atm im feeling very middle of the road." I gave it a 5.
Norway: "Trashy, I might get to like it. " Ah Norway, it is a good song, it really is, and Ulrikke is great vocalist, and the staging is real nice, but I just cannot like it. The whole thing is so irritating to me, too pretentious I guess, so that's why I wrote trashy, although it is not. At the poll I gave it 0, it is at 1 now since I decided not to give zeros anymore.
Australia: Same as Norway, but with a much worse singer and worse song.
Switzerland: "Not my cup of tea" I hear it as a good song, but I don't like it.
The Netherlands: "Easily one of the best songs this year. Love it." Really classy and beautiful, if Norway went more into this direction I would like it more. I might upgrade it from 8 to 9 soon.
Poland: "Oh no, Norway is duplicating." The first impression was that it is just messy, but now I like it more. It was between 4 and 3, currently it is 4
Spain: "I don’t care it is safe, it is just kinda boring. Those Uni-uni-verso parts are annoying and overall, the song is nice, well produced and video is great, but it is not something I’m into. I gave it 6 " I downgraded it to 1, I still think is nice, and on paper it seems like something I would be into, but same as Norway, I just don't like it.
Ukraine: Again, the thread is too big. :lol: I was stunned, slavic realness, really beautiful and I am glad Ukraine went for it. This made me so happy that I am probably going to watch next Vidbir. I gave them 8.
Lithuania: "I am weirdly into this. :lol: I might actually like Lithuanian entry xheat What is happening?" I really do like it. 8
Israel: "This is so much fun. :D" It is really fun, and some parts are soo soo so epic, but that unfortunate chorus beat and melody drags the overall impression down so the first mark was downgraded later from 5 to 4. Note: I watched the last part of the NF, so I would like Roots better, but this is fine as well.
Ireland: "It's good when you consider what Ireland has been serving us last years, but it's quite in the middle overall. 4-5/10" Obviously I was not impressed. It is not bad, but not for me. The other thing is that I find the singer very unlikeable, so unfortunately with every listening I stared to hate it more and more and currently, the mark is the lowest one. The good thing is that the package is not bad, and it surely have its audience.
Macedonia: "It's a 4 edit: downgraded it to 2" That's basically it, I don't like it. Same as Ireland actually.
Romania: Great bunch of songs with the best one representing Romania. Very pretty, love the melody and the play on words.
Finland: "Word that comes to my mind while listening to this is uneventful :lol: It's like another 3" I did not watch UMK, heard the songs once, did not like them at all, but the thing is it would be better anything than this. Again, it is not bad song, but it is too bland for me to enjoy it.
Armenia: "I like it? I like it." The biggest disappointment this year. At first I liked it, but with each listening it got worse. It literally fell from 8 to 2.
Malta: "I like it a lot. 8" This one is still fresh and I still like it.
Croatia: "I like it, nice." Unfortunately I did not watch or follow this years Dora, so I heard this one after it won and my opinion did not change. It is nice, nothing more, nothing less. Gave it 5
Latvia: Hated it, hated it, hated it. I think it was made with only one thing in mind - for Samanta to gain publicity, and tbh that does not matter to me, great sis, that's what everybody does anyway, but they could try and make it a solid effort. It is not quirky it is weird for the sake of being weird. It does have nice parts, love that drop and she has some pipes. Overall, this entry gives me the infamous Disney Sequels vibes, if done better I would like it.
Sweden: I liked it from the first listening, they are really good singers and seem very sweet. I gave them 6 with the chance of growing on me.
San Marino: "It’s okay, I guess." It keeps growing on my, very fun and exciting song. The second year in a row that San Marino actually is trying and I am here for it. Gave her 3, but I should upgrade it.
Czech Republic: "I voted for Kemama xheat" That NF was everything, loved every single song. I fell in love with Kemama since it is something fresh and different and it is done extremely well, and I believe that the revamp will be even better. 8 all the way
Estonia: IMO, Eesti Laul was good this year, there are some things that should be corrected, but overall there were 5 to 6 I downloaded. I liked Uku's song at first, but I knew it is not something I would listen. The main problem is that it sounds like something already heard many times, but also it lacks something. First it was 5, then 4, now we're at 3.
Denmark: "I like this one a lot." I watched a recap of DMGP songs, but I missed it. Later, when they won I heard it for the first time and it is an earworm, loved it since the second listening.
Albania: I liked it, and my love only grew. :D I don't mind the revamp, however the live version is the best one. 8
Azerbaijan: "It is actually good? I am shook, honestly. xstars 6/10 " It is interesting, and fun, and unexpected from Azerbaijan, but also not something I would listen, still great entry.

midnightsun

Veteran
Though I don’t agree with some it’s very interesting to see how some of your opinions changed during the weeks. So thanks for sharing! 🧡

midnightsun

Veteran
Azerbaijan: It's like a car crash. It makes an impact and you just can't look away. This is something between genius and insane and I don't know yet where to put this. On one hand I am fascinated but on the other there's just too much happening in three minutes. It will definitely be overhyped by the fan bubble and I can see why but let's be honest, after all it's just another mainstream song but amazing production. This song has a lot of extras but I'm missing the EXTRA-extra. 10 points.

Russia: Is this a fun song or not? I have decided to not take this seriously and that's good because we needed that kind of a fun song this year. It's lovely and catchy and it will be a great relief to watch this on stage between all the other mainstream songs. This will also probably be overhyped by some and I can also see here why but even as a fun song I can not give it more than 8 points because this is a "one-time-listener". It's good for entertaining purposes and it's catchy but you dont feel the need to listen to this again (like Iceland).

Top Bottom