27 19.4%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
Finland-scaled.jpg

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
it's only 6 songs anyway, I don't think that the place in the running order will affect things too much.

Zonne147

Cicciolina is my favorite song of the selection and probably one of my favorites of the whole NF season. But am I the only one who thinks this can be a big flop live? I hope not though xpray

NikolaiMoller

Veteran
Cicciolina is my favorite song of the selection and probably one of my favorites of the whole NF season. But am I the only one who thinks this can be a big flop live? I hope not though xpray

She is great live. But because we've been listening to the studio version for a looong time now, I'm afraid we can only be disappointed, when she performs it live. I try not to have too high expectations.

At the same time. I HAVE HIGH EXPECTATIONS xheatxheatxheat

Morpheus

It absolutely CAN flop live.

I'm not terribly worried about her singing, but YLE has an abysmal track record in both staging and choreography. If it fails, that's where I expect it to happen.

But, then again, she could sound like a cat slowly sliding down a chalkboard. It's a possibility. xthink

opinionsigotem

Oh, just seen the running order, it's the same as the song reveal order except they've got SO little faith in Zuhlke that they've swapped her with Tika just to make sure she dies lol. Erika still wins xheart

LastDreamer

Banned

abenteuer

I am a little late to the game and just listened to the entries for Finland.

Can I ask why all the love for "Cicciolina"? It's just an unremarkable italo disco track and brings nothing fresh musically so it just comes across as kitschy to me.

Aksel's track, while repetitive as hell, is much better. It has a VERY strong chorus and is beautifully sung. If there was a bit more complexity to the song it would be a top entry in the main contest (for sure it would capture a high amount of points from the juries).

Femmina

I am a little late to the game and just listened to the entries for Finland.

Can I ask why all the love for "Cicciolina"? It's just an unremarkable italo disco track and brings nothing fresh musically so it just comes across as kitschy to me.

Aksel's track, while repetitive as hell, is much better. It has a VERY strong chorus and is beautifully sung. If there was a bit more complexity to the song it would be a top entry in the main contest (for sure it would capture a high amount of points from the juries).

I can't tell you why the fandom loves it, but I can tell you why Finnish people do. For someone who isn't completely familiar with Finnish music scene, I can understand this might sound like italo disco track to you, but it really isn't it. This is very Finnish schlager (disco) from the 80s and it's kind of music we listen a lot but not necessarily dare to admit out loud. No, we are not all about rock and metal, let's stop with that stereotype.

One of the examples of this genre is queen Eini herself, of course;

But best way to describe her is that she is the lovechild of Frederik and Kikka.

Both big artists, and people here have been comparing Erika especially to Kikka a lot. She was also very straightforward with sexual references in her songs.

Aksel? Very lovely guy. But his song is very americanized, it doesn't sound type of music what we actually listen here - our charts are filled mostly with Finnish music, and artists who does very international sounding music and sings in English rarely does well here.

Story short, we love Erika because nostalgy and it's kind of music that actually belongs here. We also love it because the message of the song, many women been sending lots of messages for Erika how empowered they are by it. Personally, I love Eurovision because you can have the chance to show of your culture - Erika is our culture, sending anything else than her would be simply just fooling rest of the Europe.

abenteuer

I can't tell you why the fandom loves it, but I can tell you why Finnish people do. For someone who isn't completely familiar with Finnish music scene, I can understand this might sound like italo disco track to you, but it really isn't it. This is very Finnish schlager (disco) from the 80s and it's kind of music we listen a lot but not necessarily dare to admit out loud. No, we are not all about rock and metal, let's stop with that stereotype.

One of the examples of this genre is queen Eini herself, of course;

But best way to describe her is that she is the lovechild of Frederik and Kikka.

Both big artists, and people here have been comparing Erika especially to Kikka a lot. She was also very straightforward with sexual references in her songs.

Aksel? Very lovely guy. But his song is very americanized, it doesn't sound type of music what we actually listen here - our charts are filled mostly with Finnish music, and artists who does very international sounding music and sings in English rarely does well here.

Story short, we love Erika because nostalgy and it's kind of music that actually belongs here. We also love it because the message of the song, many women been sending lots of messages for Erika how empowered they are by it. Personally, I love Eurovision because you can have the chance to show of your culture - Erika is our culture, sending anything else than her would be simply just fooling rest of the Europe.

Thank you for your thoughtful and thorough reply.

I completely agree that a large part of what makes Eurovision great is that countries have the opportunity to share their culture and I can understand why Finns would support Cicciolina for reasons of nostalgia. Truth be told, though, I don’t see anything culturally distinct musically about 80s Finnish schlager as it seems to be italo disco but sung in Finnish. I guess that’s a big part of the reason Cicciolina reads at kitschy to me.

I also agree that Aksel’s song sounds “American” but I wonder how much of that perception lies in the fact that it’s a straightforward pop song in the english language with modern production quality. Would you think at all differently if the song was in Finnish?

Not wanting to dance anymore, but I must dance

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f33515634594749304b6a6e3763673d3d2d3534353532323335332e313531613637363132373139623166323435333330393033333734342e676966

As a non-Finnish cishet woman, I love Cicciolina because I unironically love italo disco and am well aware it's not groundbreaking in its musical style, however I also am in fact, very kitschy.

Top Bottom