27 19.4%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
Finland-scaled.jpg

NikolaiMoller

Veteran
@Daybreak

I'm not saying a ballad is a voice showcase. I'm just sad, because we have a lot of great ballads already, and this one will not stand out + I've heard a song like this so many times in the radio, X-Factor, The Voice etc.

Why don't send a song with energy, fire and a woman with so much charisma (Erika)?

I really want Eurovision to be a show with many different genres...

Do we have a schlager song in Eurovision this year? - No, we dont.

Do we have a ballad? - Yes, plenty of them.

Still they choose a ballad... I'm just a sad man tonight :(

Finland could have been my 1st place this year.

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
A dark page in the history of Eurovision has been written.

Daybreak

@Daybreak

I'm not saying a ballad is a voice showcase. I'm just sad, because we have a lot of great ballads already, and this one will not stand out + I've heard a song like this so many times in the radio, X-Factor, The Voice etc.

Well you did say that it's not a voice competition, and I think some others said something like that as well. I just wanted to point out that a ballad can be just as interesting musically as a faster song.

NikolaiMoller

Veteran
Well you did say that it's not a voice competition, and I think some others said something like that as well. I just wanted to point out that a ballad can be just as interesting musically as a faster song.

I know.

I just feel that the juries often vote for the song with the best vocalist. Sometimes I need a fun BOP with a performer, who gives us a show, like Erika did tonight. I just think her performance and overall package were miles better than Aksel's.

I'm afraid the juries downvoted Erika just because of her vocals, which I think suits the song really good.

Mainshow

Veteran
I strongly agree with @NikolaiMoller

Juries usually vote for the best vocals, not the best song.... They sometimes even support trashy up-tempo songs as long as the vocals are outstanding... just think of Ukraine 2012 (Gaitana, "Be My Guest"). It's the first (and only!!!) time that the televoting didn't place Ukraine in the Top 10 but the juries ranked her #3!!?!?! - For this wannabe trashy "pop anthem". They clearly didn't vote for originality, composition and arrangement.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
I mean it really was just the Cantiello Effect of Askel being the only man in a competition of women. It also was, to a much lesser extend, Erika sound a bit flat vocally. I wonder whether she would have won if her soundmixing had been a bit better.

Blergh. This is just a really bad choice honestly. Cicciolina may have NQ'd, but it at least had a niche. "Looking back" is just ballad #8 (legit. i counted) in its semifinal. I can't imagine that it beats many other acts in either vote.

:3: points.

Daybreak

I know.

I just feel that the juries often vote for the song with the best vocalist. Sometimes I need a fun BOP with a performer, who gives us a show, like Erika did tonight. I just think her performance and overall package were miles better than Aksel's.

I'm afraid the juries downvoted Erika just because of her vocals, which I think suits the song really good.

Juries do seem on average prefer ballads, so there may be some truth in there. If so, it is kind of shallow because there are so many different aspects of songwriting, production and performing that a professional could give input on, besides just vocal skill.

Bryon

This is so unbelievably disappointing, and just the cherry on top of all of the crap that happened tonight. Finland once again delivering exactly what the year didn't need, and they'll pay for it with another NQ. Will they learn their lesson? Nope! Never have and never will. :(

There is zero sense in having a jury as part of a national final, where the entire point is for the audience to choose its favorite. Stupid.

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
This is so unbelievably disappointing, and just the cherry on top of all of the crap that happened tonight. Finland once again delivering exactly what the year didn't need, and they'll pay for it with another NQ. Will they learn their lesson? Nope! Never have and never will. :(

There is zero sense in having a jury as part of a national final, where the entire point is for the audience to choose its favorite. Stupid.

Are you Bryon from ESCForum? x

Daybreak

There seems to be some sort of a scandal in Finland about how the camerawork was sloppy during Tika's entry and her head was outside the shot for a while.

Femmina

Stop trying to argue that the hype was only made by international fans. Ever since the song was released, it's been at our top 20 of Spotify, highest position being at #4 even. I've absolutely never seen kind of a hype that song got for an UMK song and all the discussion it made. While no one actually cared about rest of the songs apart from the fact that they thought they could appeal for foreigners instead of some silly song in Finnish.

Performance was the one that killed the chances of her landslide, THAT was the simple reason here.

People on Finnish twitter were basically talking about Erika only and they are disappointed that we were using international juries, because we should have the right to choose what we want and not them. Some saying also that it's questionable that the international juries are basically choosing their competition, meaning they could easily sabotage your country.

I agree. Juries are there only for the results, but this doesn't work because juries are completely different at Eurovision anyway. Btw, totally directing my hate towards YLE for thinking that they are good idea to have rather than how they voted.

Aksel's song doesn't represent the real Finnish music scene, while Erika clearly did. It doesn't matter if Aksel would end up doing well on Eurovision, Erika would've actually promote our culture and showing our music scene. Aksel is simply trying to copy just another. He won only because of the performance, after the show end no one won't care about the song (as I can see based on the reactions - everyone in Finland are just talking about Erika). Yes, Eurovision is a contest but what's the point of country flags if we all end up sounding like the same?

It's just super sad that for once Finns were excited to send a song in Finnish, but well, it didn't happen. Back in the day we used to actually have many hits and artists that are still iconic to this day here (LIKE NIGHTWISH) - but jury just didn't pick them. Erika will be part of that group.

opinionsigotem

There needs to be a moratorium on NFs with one man amongst a sea of women, because no matter what the song is like he will get the jury votes simply by existing (as Finland and Belarus have shown us this year).

As for Looking Back, it honestly sounds like a reject from the Darude final repurposed hastily into a midtempo entry? It'll be about as successful as well

Kitakaze

In light of all the criticism this year, I hope at the very least they change the process for next year to allow for a super-final with a 100% televote. Works so well in Norway, Denmark and Iceland.

LastDreamer

Banned
:3: points for Axel.

Jounah

I can’t get over the fact we had such a gem, Cicciolina and now we are sending this instead... Such a waste!

shameless

I am so sad and disappointed - my biggest fear came true. Don't need to add more because everything has been written already just withdrew this predictable and corrupt international jury concept on NFs ASAP.

There needs to be a moratorium on NFs with one man amongst a sea of women, because no matter what the song is like he will get the jury votes simply by existing (as Finland and Belarus have shown us this year).
Indeed! With that being said - happy international womens day!

Top Bottom