8 4.0%

4 2.0%

24 11.9%

• Total voters

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
Re: FINLAND 2018 - Saara Aalto

I wasn't a big fan of "No Fear", too repetitive for my liking. XFactor, or any singing talent competition for that matter, is just isn't something I'm interested in so I wasn't following her time on the show. She has a really nice voice so if they pick the right song, I'm hopeful that Finland could actually return to the Finals once again. But Vocals alone don't but it and people tend to overestimate fame and name recognition at Eurovision.

I'm sad that we don't have an actual UMK, I really like that show so this is a disappointment from that aspect but I guess it could be worse and I somewhat understand the decision. There is a big hype around Saara and she is HUGE in Finland so I expect high viewership next year.

Dodiih

Re: FINLAND 2018

I don't know why, i feel the same fate as Demy. I have nothing against Demy but similair because very known and very asked for Euroivsion. Anyway, we're waiting the song to avoid the "hype curse" (Italy 2017)

I really hope she gets something greater than a song like "This is love" (I've got nothing against that though), because she truly deserves it. Amazing person with amazing vocals. She will make Finland qualify for the final again (in my opinion).

JonnyWest

With those vocals alone I can't see Saara not qualifying, she's insanely good! Hopefully she will get a song that matches her talent

Romeo

I was hoping she would represent the UK :(

Romeo

Something like this please

Sammy

Veteran

I was hoping she would represent the UK :(

Those rumors were probably the reason for Finland to choose her...

I've mixed feelings... She surely is a great singer with a lot of stage presence and really wants to do Eurovision which promises that she will do all to represent Finland well. Whatever song she gets, she will deliver a great show.
On the other hand, I will miss UMK. Furthermore, a song in finish is out of reach with her, I suppose.

DanielLuis

It seems the stage designer that worked with her on the X Factor UK will be the stage designer for Finland on Eurovision 2018

Schlagerman1

I have nothing against Saara, but I never been a huge fan to be honest. I always felt her as a singer that really never found her genre and her songs has been rather dull or weirdly constructed. Her strength though is that she has charisma and is very likable. If she has a decent song in a weaker semifinal, she could qualify (at least with some help from UK and Ireland)

Ezio

Veteran

Could become fanwank of the season. Very camp, very divaesque, very schlager. Divas are mostly hyped within the bubble but don't live it up.

cegs5

The Union of music makers has published an open letter to YLE, complaining that the rules of UMK has been changed in the middle of the proccess. They also reminded that their time, money and work have been invested by musicians from all over the country. They also want to know how those three songs are going to be selected, wondering if it's going to be through their demos or the record company of Saara.

Anssi Autio, UMK producer, answered that alhough they received more than 300 demos, none of them were "suitable" to represent Finland next year, and according to the rules, they have the right to do any change in the selection process.

Ville Vilen, YLE excutive producer, said that after the evaluation of all the entries sent, they decided to send rejections at the beginning of October and they were even considering a contest between some known artists, as none of the applicants lived up their expectations.

214v4sg.gif

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

Gosh that's quite an insult to all the people who spent time writing and sending in their songs. :? Quite a shady way to go about it imo.

How do they expect known and successful artists to take part when Finland has such a shocking record in ESC. I doubt the Finnish people live and breath Eurovision. Not even MF attracts super big names despite the success and popularity there.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

I wrote down my opinions about this choice a few days ago but couldn't find it in myself to click "post reply", as it felt like I was kicking a puppy. Saara seems a very sweet person, and I guess picking her internally makes some sense after her surprise success abroad. It's giving me Albania 2015 flashbacks though, except extremer levels. Elhaida Dani came last at Festivali i kenges with 0 points, left the country, won Italy's The Voice and then returned to Albania a hero and landslide winner of Fik with a hot mess of a song. Finland had five(?) previous chances to send Saara. I guess you could argue that this choice actually makes more sense, as Saara has fought hard for this and is perhaps therefor more deserving. They have to get things very right though or I fear this could turn out to be a very misguided decision. She's a name in the UK now, that's all.. and it feels like they're picking her on name more than anything. She came 2nd in a dying karaoke competition watched by one country.

As for Saara herself, she's obviously very talented. At this moment in time though, I just can't say i'm much into her, and that's perhaps shocking considering how campy and sparkly she is. I find her too forced and hammy though, and the whole act a bit vapid. I've been going through some of her X Factor performances to see if my opinion has changed or softened. I think she's best when in ballad mode. "The Winner Takes It All" was her best performance, and her theatrical training doesn't hinder or make awkward anything there. She gets away with Donna & Babs disco hit as well. I don't like her doing modern pop songs at all though. She reminds me in a sense of David Lindgren, who I also find to be awkward when doing contemporary pop. Once that ham is there from theatrical training, it's difficult to shake. I don't really know what route she should be taken down.

I wish Finland the best though. I hope you get back on track next year. I'm still sad about what happened back in May. I'm ready for Saara to win me round. Not that I dislike her now or anything bad like that. I just struggle to see what others see.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

tuorem

Saara has worked on four songs with Linnea Deb... xboring

We'll see how many of these (if any) will make it to the NF, but I sincerely hope there'll be other options from less predictable songwriters.

Outsourcing all of Aalto's potential entries would be the ultimate shade to the Finnish hopefuls who "weren't suitable" for UMK this year. :rolleyes: Fingers crossed for more interesting collaborations.

A-lister

Veteran

I have a feeling I won't like this entry I'm afraid, she just gives "conventional boring" a face (and voice), her previous attempts in the local selection weren't anything special and then jumping from one talent show to the other is not really adding either. I dunno, I just feel we'll get such conventional entry out of this, I can't see her offer anything else because her vocals are very conventional and she doesn't have the charisma or personality to pull of anything really, but we'll see... did I mention conventional? :lol:

alca

I love Saara! She has such a charisma and a great voice. Hopefully she will give us an amazing song too. So far, on paper, Finland gets my 12 points.

Realest

Didnt know her before, but after what ive heard from her, im not impressed tbh. I predict Finlands 4th Failure in a row.

Top Bottom