12 3.2%

24 6.3%

38 10.0%

193 50.8%

• Total voters

Sammy

Veteran
Or stupid enough... ;)

It depends, what a country is aiming for. Of course a victory is quite out of reach with an entry like this. But if you want attention and people remembering the entry in the future, or create a positive/innovative/open-minded image of the country, than this entry was a huge success. ;)

Morty

Trondheim, Norway / Niavara, Balearica Island
It might be fun - as long as it is not your own country that has such a song in the contest... ;) Because then after the NF result you have 2-3 depressing months with no expectations, knowing that your entry will score about 0 points..

Not really. In our NF, my favorite was what I would probably describe as the "Norwegian Rednex". I think it would have had no chance at all in ESC, but it would have been epic if we sent that song. Instead, the Norwegians chose a boring ballad. So I also had some depressing months, listening to Eurovision fans saying our song was so awesome, while I hoped it would finish last in the semi. I'd rather see Norway send an unpopular song I like, than a boring (but successful) song. ;)

Milos-BC

I disagree with this. If we don't have songs like this, that go their own way, Eurovision will become very boring. Maybe it's because I kinda like punk rock, but I feel this song deserved a better result. I'm not surprised tho, I wouldn't expect most punk rockers watches Eurovision... But I hope they had fun. :)

I can partly agree, since I am also one of those who supports diversity in ESC and I am constantly favoring and respecting those that dare to send different things.

However, not everything that is different and "original" is good. For example, if someone would send 6 people who would s**t and burp on stage the entire time and present that as their entry they would certainly be the most original entrants ever. But would that entry be any good? No.

This is a prime example of that, and actually not that far from the previous example, in musical terms. This IS different, but not in a good way. This is not even a song. This is a random melody with random gargling, not even singing. I don't view it as a song at all, it is only a musical experiment and that's all. The fact that it was clearly relying on pity votes and stuff that had nothing to do with music just shows that even more.

Of course, people are free to agree and disagree. I want different and original stuff in ESC, and stuff that made me get my interest for this contest in the first place. However, it needs to be different and good, not just different for the sake of being different.

Morty

I can partly agree, since I am also one of those who supports diversity in ESC and I am constantly favoring and respecting those that dare to send different things.

However, not everything that is different and "original" is good. For example, if someone would send 6 people who would s**t and burp on stage the entire time and present that as their entry they would certainly be the most original entrants ever. But would that entry be any good? No.

This is a prime example of that, and actually not that far from the previous example, in musical terms. This IS different, but not in a good way. This is not even a song. This is a random melody with random gargling, not even singing. I don't view it as a song at all, it is only a musical experiment and that's all. The fact that it was clearly relying on pity votes and stuff that had nothing to do with music just shows that even more.

Of course, people are free to agree and disagree. I want different and original stuff in ESC, and stuff that made me get my interest for this contest in the first place. However, it needs to be different and good, not just different for the sake of being different.

I have friends who posted about this song on Facebook, saying Finland had the only good song this year... But ok, so you don't like punk rock. And from the looks of it, you haven't listened to much punk rock either. Saying punk rock is equal to people taking a s*** and burping on stage is actually pretty offensive to everyone who likes this type of music. And I would recommend that you never listen to death metal, with proper growling. I don't think you could handle it... Anyway, I'm not discussing this with you anymore, I'm actually pretty offended by your post.

Milos-BC

I have friends who posted about this song on Facebook, saying Finland had the only good song this year... But ok, so you don't like punk rock. And from the looks of it, you haven't listened to much punk rock either. Saying punk rock is equal to people taking a s*** and burping on stage is actually pretty offensive to everyone who likes this type of music. And I would recommend that you never listen to death metal, with proper growling. I don't think you could handle it... Anyway, I'm not discussing this with you anymore, I'm actually pretty offended by your post.

I am quite shocked by what you wrote now.

How and more importantly, WHY did you feel offended about my opinion on this song or any other song? Just because I don't like this song and because I was brutally honest about it, you feel offended by that? So, imagine if everyone was insulted when people bashed their favorite songs, what would this forum look like? You bashed the Norwegian song for example (your own entry), and I am a huge fan of it, so based this, I should also be offended since I like the song?

I think it was pretty obvious that I was bashing the song, not those who like it.

Actually, what you wrote to me now is far more offensive as you started bashing myself and my personal taste in music. I didn't do that in your case or in the case of other people who like this song.

Just to say - I in fact like punk music a lot, I like rock music and its various subgenres, and I think that people who know me well know that rock, in general, is one of my favorite genres, if not THE favorite. So yeah, there are many heavy metal bands I enjoy.

I don't see the connection between this mess of a song and the genres you mentioned. In those genres, people do sing and perform, and those ARE the actual songs, which some like and some don't. This is really barely a song. Punk is indeed, perhaps, the closest category to which it can be put, but if punk should be measured by the standards of this song..........then punk is in a very serious problem.

I always apologize if people misinterpret my posts, but this time there was absolutely no material for that, as I didn't bash you, but the song, and you were the one who brought the discussion to a personal level.

Morty

Highlighted it for you. The comparing of s**t and burp to this song is pretty offensive. If not to the fans of the song, then definitely to the members of the band. Also, it's not random gargling, it's Finnish. I can't say whether it's good Finnish or not tho. And I'm not convinced it was relying on pity votes either, because (as I mentioned) I know people who actually like the song. This song isn't any worse than the Russian grandmothers in 2012, and I liked them too. How they could finish 2nd in the final, and Finland last in the semi this year is to me a mystery. But I think the country represented might have something to do with that...

My point is tho, it's ok that you don't like the song, but you can't compare a song to s**t, burp and random gargling, and then get shocked that someone finds it offensive. I'm not saying my first reply is the post I'm most proud of, but your post made me pretty pissed off. And altho I don't like the Norwegian song, I've never compared it to anything you compared the Finnish song to. And to be honest, altho I got more personal (altho I would still argue that what you wrote is personal against the members of the band, the vocalist especially), what I wrote wasn't really offensive. I just based it on what you had written in the quoted post, and heavy metal doesn't really have much in common with death metal. DM came out of HM, but it's on a whole different level. I've never heard growling in HM, and that's MUCH closer to gargling than this Finnish song will ever be. Altho I don't consider growling to be gargling either.

Oh, and I've seen several pretty offensive posts on this forum lately, and I only read about 2% of the threads here... Also, this wasn't my favorite song, but it was in my top 10. If you had bashed my favorite song like you did with this song, my reply to that would probably have gotten me permanently banned. :p I apologize for bringing it to a personal level tho, but I still think you went too far in your bashing of the song.

GRE

They gave their best, but it was not enough.
It was rough music for an average european viewer, and sympathy vote was not enough.

GRE

Satin Circus would have done much better...
(but i still prefer the symbolic choice Finland made)

Joni

^ not that I'm a big fan of the song but I bet it would have been in top 10

Mattan

^ not that I'm a big fan of the song but I bet it would have been in top 10

Nowhere close, at least not with that performance. Lower parts of the final with a good one, may very well have missed the final with a UMK-quality one. Not a major fan of off-key singing and awkward staging, really - if it had to be someone but PKN, Opera Skaala.

Dante

Unfortunately it didn't stand out, which sounds strange giving all that has been said and the controversy around it. But this is what I felt in the semi: it was forgettable. I don't think Finland made its point with PKN.

tuorem

Time for me to review the Finnish entry this year :D

PKN - Aina mun pitää

Song: Well, I'm not into punk music at all, so that may explain why I don't like Finland this year. The fact that the length of the song is 1:30 only does not bother me, I even think it helps go through the entire song because I find it very repetitive. The arrangements are what they are (and perhaps what they are supposed to be, if that makes any sense :lol:) and the structure seems like a loop repeated ad nauseam. Tbh I don't think anything in this song is worth my attention: it's not a bad song, it's just not my type at all. Nice to see music diversity in the contest even though very few genres do well eventually (cross rap, rock, operatic pop and jazz out...) and kudos for singing in Finnish! I appreciate that.

Voice: Nothing wrong with the vocals of the lead singer, solid performance I would say.

Staging: No staging extravaganza, it was just a band playing on stage. I don't think the act needed something else as it stands out music-wise.

Outcome: Maybe the hardest outcome to predict for me, eventually Finland stayed in the semi because of the juries. However, I wouldn't say I was sad about it because I didn't like it. Actually, it's one of the songs I like the least this year because the music genre itself does not make me feel anything. Kudos for sending something different but from the very beginning, I've found it difficult to see this act go anywhere, however I prefer this over Satin Circus anytime xpuke Better luck next year Finland! ;)

ESC94

Let´s go to Finland!! What I kinda like about :fi: when it comes to ESC is that you never know what to expect, their entries are a very colorful mix of different genres, sometimes I like them, sometimes not so much, and their entry from 2015 clearly belongs to the second category. (n)

That year they were represented by the punk band Pertti Kurikan Nimipäivät with the song "Aina mun pitää", with 1:27 minutes also the shortest song in ESC history. What caused headlines was the fact that three members had the Down syndrome and the fourth was autistic. You should know that I also have the Asperger syndrome, a kind of authism, so I know that living with a handicap can be really hard sometimes, so I pay them a huge respect for singing in front of millions of viewers.

But since this is still the Eurovision Song Contest I have to stay neutral and judge what I´ve heard, and for me this was sadly not a song but just 87 seconds of unpleasant noises!! I´m not against this kind of music in general, but this simply didn´t have any feature what I usually expect from a song. It started to get on my nerves very quickly and the voice of the lead singer wasn´t that pleasant either. Even though this song was pretty short, it really felt very long to me and I was really happy when this was over. The viewers actually wanted this noise in the final, but juries ranked them very low and in the end they finished last in this semi, and in this case I approve with them.

So when I put all my sympathies aside there was really nothing I liked about this entry. I gave them :1: for singing in their native language, but otherwise this was really the weakest entry :fi: sent in this decade!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom