24 6.3%

38 10.0%

193 50.8%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
finland.jpg

LalehForWD

Well, as I understand if there's no change in format, UMK will continue to deliver young debuting artists to ESC. Perhaps it's a good thing, a very good thing even. Anyway, I wish amazing Diandra to try again. Here she is in summer 2012

Joni

Diandra performed on tv a couple of days ago, she is one of the best singers in this country.

Joni

She sure is. Btw, she became 2nd in that contest, the winner was this guy who represented Finland in ESC in 2004.

Joni

If I could decide, UMK 2015 would be like this: Diandra is the artist, 5 or so different composers make songs for her and the voters choose the best one.

LalehForWD

If I could decide, UMK 2015 would be like this: Diandra is the artist, 5 or so different composers make songs for her and the voters choose the best one.

Isn't the problem (so I heard somewhere) that many people want the old format back (although I have no idea how it was)? BTW was the viewing ratings better before UMK? I think if UMK will bring Finland a steady stream of new emerging artists, that alone is a great thing even if UMK doesn't produce an ESC winner. That way Finland will always be contributing modern interesting acts to Eurovision. Like a sponsored POP machine. :D With time I think the bigger names will come and so will the mainstream viewers. I've listened to and followed UMK since 2012 and I think it's pretty brilliant and also very different from say Melodifestivalen. If anything, as I'm not very keen on rap and light rock* I hope they'll focus on POP and the occasional amazing pure Finnish metal.

* With this I mean all the different copies of 60s Kinks and Rolling Stones and also various brit/college/garage rock, grunge and whatever (inc punk)

Joni

Yep "Euroviisut" prior 2012 had much higher ratings I think. UMK is still fairly unknown contest, probably many people don't even know that the Finnish ESC representative is chosen in UMK. Not many new artists have become known through UMK so far, for example I haven't heard a thing of Pernilla who won the 1st UMK in 2012. Stig from that year is quite popular though. And Krista from 2013 I guess. Diandra was already famous (Idols 2012 winner) before UMK 2013.

LalehForWD

Yep "Euroviisut" prior 2012 had much higher ratings I think. UMK is still fairly unknown contest, probably many people don't even know that the Finnish ESC representative is chosen in UMK. Not many new artists have become known through UMK so far, for example I haven't heard a thing of Pernilla who won the 1st UMK in 2012. Stig from that year is quite popular though. And Krista from 2013 I guess. Diandra was already famous (Idols 2012 winner) before UMK 2013.

Well, Pernilla didn't strike as the most ambitious or forward person. :D I think she works at YLE Swedish radio with some music program. I believe Krista had a "career" before UMk, didn't she sing in a rock band? At least I saw some YT clip at the time. Diandra was indeed killed by her stylist at UMK.

Joni

I think Krista was in Voice of Finland, too, before the UMK but didn't get very far. Yeah, Diandra looked horrible in the UMK. Nowadays she looks better anyway, maybe she has lost some weight or the remaining childish "roundness" is gone; she looks more mature now.

LalehForWD

I think Krista was in Voice of Finland, too, before the UMK but didn't get very far. Yeah, Diandra looked horrible in the UMK. Nowadays she looks better anyway, maybe she has lost some weight or the remaining childish "roundness" is gone; she looks more mature now.

I really hope Krista will succeed with her music and I have no doubt Diandra will. :)

Joni

Jannika is so lovely, she was reviewing all the ESC songs on the TV yesterday. It would be difficult for her to participate in the UMK though if her husband is still one of the juries...

Top Bottom