Contact us

FIFA WORLD CUP 2018 - RUSSIA

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
matador's impact

mauve

Veteran
Congrats to France! Like many people I doubt it was a penalty, but France still showed a nice kick. All in all though looking back the whole WC, the teams were weaker, it could have been another team winning. I just hope that the next WC won't be with 48 teams. Just picturing that ... hopefully not.

JamieBrown

Congrats to France! Like many people I doubt it was a penalty, but France still showed a nice kick. All in all though looking back the whole WC, the teams were weaker, it could have been another team winning. I just hope that the next WC won't be with 48 teams. Just picturing that ... hopefully not.

Difficult penalty. His action moved toward the ball slightly, and like nigerian coach explained in german tv, the FIFA went to every team before the WC and told them an outstretched arm leads to a penalty, leaving it close to the body won't. Giving that penalty is justified imo, and I guess France would've won anyway.

I fear the 48 teams, tho I doubt they will come in 2022. The WC will happen in winter, when it's only 25° - 30° Celsius there. Also they are planning the fastest World Cup beginning in late November and having the final a few days before christmas. This all has to happen as the seasons of the biggest federations usually take place during that time and FIFA has to try not to take too much of their schedules. Also they just reduced the number of stadiums to 8 in 5 locations, as many more stadiums in such an "irrelevant" nation wouldn't make any sense. After all this it wouldn't be smart to expand and increasing the critics again

mauve

Veteran
Difficult penalty. His action moved toward the ball slightly, and like nigerian coach explained in german tv, the FIFA went to every team before the WC and told them an outstretched arm leads to a penalty, leaving it close to the body won't. Giving that penalty is justified imo, and I guess France would've won anyway.

I fear the 48 teams, tho I doubt they will come in 2022. The WC will happen in winter, when it's only 25° - 30° Celsius there. Also they are planning the fastest World Cup beginning in late November and having the final a few days before christmas. This all has to happen as the seasons of the biggest federations usually take place during that time and FIFA has to try not to take too much of their schedules. Also they just reduced the number of stadiums to 8 in 5 locations, as many more stadiums in such an "irrelevant" nation wouldn't make any sense. After all this it wouldn't be smart to expand and increasing the critics again

That's what I was wondering about. How can they arrange the WC in 2022 with the schedules of the national teams? Will the national leagues start sooner? Or will they have English weeks with three games a week? xthink Anyhow, it will feel strange having the WC in winter. A completely new experience.;)

Himan

That's what I was wondering about. How can they arrange the WC in 2022 with the schedules of the national teams? Will the national leagues start sooner? Or will they have English weeks with three games a week? xthink Anyhow, it will feel strange having the WC in winter. A completely new experience.;)

Just play till June? It's not that hard I guess?

Himan

xfacepalm Of course, didn't think of that! Guess it is the heat today ... :lol:

We shouldn't make this thing too hard, I guess. Beautiful weather and football isn't a bad thing.

Hele.

First of all, congratulations to team :fr: on amazing play through whole tournament and in final and very well deserved title! xbow
Generally speaking I do not like football and I'm not football fan, especially in Croatia. Until this World Cup (and still in big part think same) I was objecting that many of national money that should finance sport development goes to football (I think around 90% of all that money) while we have so other talented athletes that struggle (interesting fact: Sara Kolak - Olympic winner in javelin throw didn't have money to buy javelins for practice and her colleague from representation helped her) and such stories make me a bit furious and disappointed.
But what I have experienced through this World Cup in Russia...I will never forget, that unity, that happiness, that emotions, my city nominally was on fire of happiness and joy, even after the final! It will always remain in my heart and will remember it for life! xheart Thank you football team :hr: for making such positive emotions roller-coaster that I experienced for the first time in my life! xheart xcheer

Milos-BC

Congratulations to :fr: on winning the World Cup. They showed the most out of all teams on this championship and they were constant in most matches. At the end, when we draw the line, we can say it was well-deserved.

But, most of all congrats to :hr: as well for an outstanding tournament xcheers They were a better team than :fr: in the final, especially in the first half. It's a shame that Mandžukić made that mistake at the beginning, but it happens to everyone. Nonetheless, this second place is a historical achievment and a showcase to all smaller teams that miracles can happen if people believe in it.

This was a great World Cup, too bad it's over so fast. Anyway, looking forward to the Nations League now :D

Ausesken

I found this on Facebook:

wcfq13l.jpg

Translation:
-Any suggestion for the hosting of 2022 World Cup?
- I say Qatar.
- But Qatar is not a very football-loving country...
- (money)
- Ok, in Qatar. Do you have stadiums?
- No. We’ll build them as we go.
- Qatar is too hot to play football in summer.
- Let’s play in December.
- What? There has never been a World Cup in that mo...
- (money)
- Ok. But perhaps we’ll have less than 30 days. It will be a WC too short...
- (money)
- Ok ok. Where will the opening take place?
- In the Lusail Iconic Stadium.
- Do you have any picture?
- The stadium does not exist yet. We will build it as we go.
- Ok… Does the city have enough lodging?
- The city does not exist yet. We will build it as we go.
- But what’s this madness? You should consider other places that might not take so many…
- (money)
- Ok.

So THIS is the problem with the WC taking place in Qatar. It’s the highest expression of FIFA’s corruption.

Himan

I know there are some big problems with hosting in Qatar. Not football loving is definitely not one of them. Corruption is one of them, but what nation hasn't been corrupt? I know stuff about Germany for example. I also believe a big sporting tournament should be hosted in the Arabic world once, and Qatar was and probably is one of the best options. There are two problems: the 'slavery' and that nobody wants the wc in Qatar, except most of the Qatarese people.

Schlagerman1

Sure, I am not that eager on Qatar either, but I still think that since they now got it, let them have it then. The choice has been made and it is too little time now to do something about it I say. In terms of democracy and human rights, we already had hosts that have been somewhat more questionable in that matter (Fascist Italy 1934 and Argentine dictatorship in 1978), so this is not something new. Corruption in FIFA has been there a long time, since many of the hosts has just been made by certain "deals. For example did Sweden get 1958 after a promise that Sweden would vote with all the latin and south american countries in the future if they voted for Sweden back then. We also have news about Germany 2006 and France 1998 also being bribed to an election-win, so even "good western countries" are in this as well. As long as the arenas are finished in time, they will not move the World Cup (that is not 100% certain though, so we'll see what happens).

I am more worried about the 2026 World Cup. I do love having more teams, I think that is a step in the right direction, but I am worried about the format. Having 16 groups of three teams in each is something that just can't work, thinking that the problem from 1982, where West Germany got 1-0 against Austria in the 10th minute and they stopped playing, since they both would be through on that results and put Algeria out.This can happen again in 2026, since this time it is not possible to have two games played in the last round at the same time. Lets take for example a group with Brazil, Sweden and Tunisia, which Sweden and Tunisia ends 0-0 and Brazil and Sweden plays 1-0, then it is just for Brazil to give away a point to Tunisia and they both are through. So yeah, they need to arrange the groups (8 groups of six teams maybe?) or come up with something that would avoid this.

Realest

If anyone had doubts about our Dominance in this Business.

1. France :eu:
2. Kroatia :eu:
3. Belgium :eu:
4. England :eu:
5. Uruguay
6. Brasil
7. Sweden :eu:
8. Russia :eu:

9. Kolumbia
10. Spain :eu:
11. Denmark :eu:

12. Mexiko
13. Portugal :eu:
14. Switzerland :eu:

15. Japan
16. Argentina
17. Senegal
18. Iran
19. South Korea
20. Peru
21. Nigeria
22. Germany :eu:
23. Serbia :eu:

24. Tunisia
25. Poland :eu:

26. Saudi Arabia
27. Morokko
28. Iceland :eu:

29. Costa Rica
30. Australia
31. Egypt
32. Panama

Realest

Looking back, I have the Feeling that :fr:s Victory is already forgotten, while :de:s Victory will be remembered for always.

Top Bottom