Contact us

FIFA WORLD CUP 2018 - RUSSIA

Sabiondo

I know that its early, let's start to road to the World Cup 2018 in the land of strong people..:D

The 2018 FIFA World Cup will be the 21st FIFA World Cup, an international men's football tournament, that is scheduled to take place between 14 June and 15 July 2018 in Russia.

This will be the first World Cup held in the area of the former Soviet Union and the first since 2006 to be held in Europe.

The finals tournament will involve 32 national teams, including that of the host nation, assuming the current format of the finals is maintained. The final is expected to take place in Moscow at the Luzhniki Stadium.

07jZnVNiDqw.jpg

mMiCYJO_CEY.jpg

Russian cities & venues for 2018 World Cup:
2018-world-cup-cities.jpg

Schlagerman1

Looks like it might be taken off them & Qatar :p

I find it sad to see if Russia would be taken it off. It is just three years till it starts, I am sure they are more than ready for it. Also since it was bribing used for the selections of 2014, 2010, 2006 and 1998 World Cup, then I think that Russia and Qatar can stay. Better to work for a better tomorrow than to change the past or present.

MyHeartIsYours

I find it sad to see if Russia would be taken it off. It is just three years till it starts, I am sure they are more than ready for it. Also since it was bribing used for the selections of 2014, 2010, 2006 and 1998 World Cup, then I think that Russia and Qatar can stay. Better to work for a better tomorrow than to change the past or present.
Well, if they didn't want it taken off them, they shouldn't have bribed and broken the rules (if indeed they have). Nothing can be done about World Cup's that have already been, but something can be done about World Cup's yet to come. There are plenty of countries that play fairly by the rules that would be able to organise the competition with just three year's notice - England being one of them (our bid was going to use stadia already constructed). I'm glad the government has put our name forward if indeed the World Cup is taken off Russia and Qatar.

Schlagerman1

Well, if they didn't want it taken off them, they shouldn't have bribed and broken the rules (if indeed they have). Nothing can be done about World Cup's that have already been, but something can be done about World Cup's yet to come. There are plenty of countries that play fairly by the rules that would be able to organise the competition with just three year's notice - England being one of them (our bid was going to use stadia already constructed). I'm glad the government has put our name forward if indeed the World Cup is taken off Russia and Qatar.

I still find it ridiculous to change these world cup since it is actually already chosen and the countries are prepared for it (especially Russia, and Qatar has problably already started building the arenas). This is just turning out to continue the hate-campaign for both Russia and the muslim countries. I am sure that if someone would notice that Germany bribed some FIFA-delegates for 2006 (which I am sure they did as well, ALL hosts has at least bribed one or two delegates, even Sweden back in the 50s) then it would not even be a discussion about it, cause it is the trust-worthy germans that did it. If now it happens that it will be removed from these countries, let it be so then, but on an international level it will just get worse. But if it wouldn't, I don't wanna see any boycotts from EU, so that our great players from european countries, who has had a dream of competing and even winning in the World Cup, never get to follow the dream since it is all about politics. That would be a disgrace and something to be ashamed of for Europe.

Mattan

Qatar should be stripped of their World Cup because having it there is bordering on the insane for a long list of reasons, but Russia can actually handle a WC properly and moving it elsewhere at this point would be problematic. Taking it away from Qatar, on the other hand, would not only be very good for the event itself, but would prevent the death toll for the event to rise from the already terrible numbers.

It's my understanding that Germany out-bribed South Africa for 2006 whereas South Africa out-bribed Morocco for 2010 - while I have no doubt Russia also did it, it may not be a good idea to change things now. Qatar 2022 should definitely be relocated, though - I'd expect one of USA/Australia/UK to handle it and handle it well.

ShoeFlo

If the FIFA decides to take off Qatar I'd hope for Australia as the replace.
After giving the WC to USA, East Asia, to South Africa it's just consequent that Australia finally becomes the host. As far as I know Australias bid was very well, it's a wealthy country with pretty good infrastructure in which the football has developed through the years (thinking on the great generation 2006 with players like Cahill). They could organize an event like this without problems. Of course for Europeans the kick-off times are very bad but tbh they deserve to get the world cup

Sabiondo

I doubt highly that :ru: will be stripped them from hosting World Cup in 2018, even if they found guilty to committing of bought votes during the vote in 2010, because for FIFA will not be time to assign another European country (like England or Germany for example) to organize the championship in haste when mostly of their stadiums needs be remodeled with time, and apart of that i doubt highly that the Russians will accept that the 2018 cup will be removed from their country due corruption, and probably they will start a legal battle or sue the FIFA for compensation (which will be very high).

AdelAdel

Could you guys explain the "obvious" reasons as to why a World Cup in Qatar would not be okay? xthink The only reason I thought of would be the extremely high temperatures, but on the other hand... isn't Qatar an arid country, so it wouldn't be much of a problem anyway?

ShoeFlo

On 25th July the draw of the groups of European qualification for the WC 2018 will be held.

The pot allocation is based on the FIFA World ranking

Pot 1
:de: :es: :be: :en: :nl: :pt: :ro: :wale: :hr:

Pot 2
:it: :fr: :ch: :at: :cz: :sk: :dk: :ba: :is:

Pot 3
:ua: :pl: :se: :rs: :sc: ::ulst :hu: :gr: :al:

Pot 4
:tr: :ie: :sl: :no: :me: :bg: :il: :ee: :fo:

Pot 5
:by: :cy: :fi: :lv: :am: :lt: :mk: :az: :md:

Pot 6
:kz: :ge: :lu: :li: :mt: :sm: :ad:

As we know the FIFA World Ranking is far away from being perfect, so there are some strange outcomes
Romania & Wales (!) in Pot 1, two big teams :it: & :fr: in Pot 2 (just like :is: xheya )
I am also pretty surprised that Faroe Islands reached Pot 4, actually that is a damn huge success, however I have no idea how they made it :lol: They can say thank you to Greece I guess

Maybe I will do my own just-for-fun draw in the next days xcrazy

QwaarJet

ESC Moderator
Swiss officials are currently investigating money laundering related to the 2018 and 2022 world cup bidding processes. Hopefully the truth is discovered and if found to be guilty, both nations should have the tournament taken off them.

Sabiondo

Swiss officials are currently investigating money laundering related to the 2018 and 2022 world cup bidding processes. Hopefully the truth is discovered and if found to be guilty, both nations should have the tournament taken off them.

As i said even if the truth is discovered, with :ru: will be almost impossible to taken them off of hosting WC due to timing issues and possible legal battle that would give rise among them & FIFA. Qatar on the other hand is a different story and is likely that they will removed the right to host, but FIFA would have to pay them a high compensation if that happen..

QwaarJet

ESC Moderator
As i said even if the truth is discovered, with :ru: will be almost impossible to taken them off of hosting WC due to timing issues and possible legal battle that would give rise among them & FIFA. Qatar on the other hand is a different story and is likely that they will removed the right to host, but FIFA would have to pay them a high compensation if that happen..

There is just under 3 years until the World Cup. It's likely Germany would step in as hosts, as they were prepared to in the build-up to the South Africa World Cup, and even with less than a year left until that tournament, Germany were still on standby to take over. It's definately possible. Obviously the compensation for Russia is a different matter.

MyHeartIsYours

If Russia and Qatar turn out to have 'bought' the competition (which more than likely they have) then there is no doubt it should be taken off them. If they didn't want this to happen then they should have thought about that before they started bribing off better bids.

I think they should reallocate each World Cup to the confederation it was supposed to be in, so as not to confuse things. It would be perfectly easy for:
2018 go to :en: or :fr: or :de:
2022 go to :au: or :jp:

It is just a shame that so many people in Qatar will have lost their lives constructing something that wasn't to be, but you have to stick to principles.

Sabiondo

There is just under 3 years until the World Cup. It's likely Germany would step in as hosts, as they were prepared to in the build-up to the South Africa World Cup, and even with less than a year left until that tournament, Germany were still on standby to take over. It's definately possible. Obviously the compensation for Russia is a different matter.

I don't thing that FIFA will give again to :de: the right to host the World Cup in a short period, bedsides of that mostly of the German stadiums needs to be updated from World Cup 2006 standards, and i don't know if the Germans will be able to remodeled them in a emergency short period.

If :ru: asks for compensation for lost the World Cup host, they will ask for billions of dollars lost in useless constructions and FIFA does not have the money to pay them right now.

Sabiondo

If Russia and Qatar turn out to have 'bought' the competition (which more than likely they have) then there is no doubt it should be taken off them. If they didn't want this to happen then they should have thought about that before they started bribing off better bids.

But surely they will not give up so easy their right to host the World Cup due to time invested, money and lost favors.

The best thing that FIFA should do is to learn from this big mess that they created in reward these two controversial countries 5 years ago. For 2026 World Cup ( To be held in North America, Oceania, Africa or South America ) all the 209 national associations will participate in the voting for the next bid selection, and i'm sure that the next president of FIFA will take similar measures as the as the IOC do the last year - (Evaluate based on ready-made infrastructure and take in account the human rights record in the applicant bidding venues), and the most importantly investigate any voting bribing, before, during and after the selection of the venue watching all members voting with FBI spying methods to for avoid that this scandal won't be repeated in the future and take harsh measures to the cheaters.

I think they should reallocate each World Cup to the confederation it was supposed to be in, so as not to confuse things. It would be perfectly easy for:
2018 go to :en: or :fr: or :de:
2022 go to :au: or :jp:

It is just a shame that so many people in Qatar will have lost their lives constructing something that wasn't to be, but you have to stick to principles.

:es: & :pt: also should claim also their right to host the World Cup 2018, as they end 2º place in the voting. :au: & :us: should do the same, but in World Cup 2022 venue.

MyHeartIsYours

But surely they will not give up so easy their right to host the World Cup due to time invested, money and lost favors.
I don't really think it matters what they want :lol: If FIFA wishes to withdraw the competition from those countries, they will do.

The best thing that FIFA should do is to learn from this big mess that they created in reward these two controversial countries 5 years ago. For 2026 World Cup ( To be held in North America, Oceania, Africa or South America ) all the 209 national associations will participate in the voting for the next bid selection, and i'm sure that the next president of FIFA will take similar measures as the as the IOC do the last year - (Evaluate based on ready-made infrastructure and take in account the human rights record in the applicant bidding venues), and the most importantly investigate any voting bribing, before, during and after the selection of the venue watching all members voting with FBI spying methods to for avoid that this scandal won't be repeated in the future and take harsh measures to the cheaters.
I like this idea so you wont find any argument from me ;) Although there may be concerns about how corruption-free voting from the likes of Zimbabwe would be!

:es: & :pt: also should claim also their right to host the World Cup 2018, as they end 2º place in the voting. :au: & :us: should do the same, but in World Cup 2022 venue.
If it turns out that the voting was affected by bribery, then we must take all bids to have been affected by it - therefore you can't say oh such and such came second and should be able to host it. FIFA should just make the decision based on who they believe would be most capable of hosting the competition at such short notice.

Top Bottom